Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:24 am 
Light Heavyweight

Marquez wants $1.5M to fight Pacquiao

Updated 01:48am (Mla time) Dec 30, 2004
By Salven L. Lagumbay
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A21 of the Dec. 30, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE MANAGER of WBA and IBF featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has threatened to pull out of talks regarding the megafight against Filipino Manny Pacquiao on Feb. 26 if and when Marquez is not given a fair share of the purses.

Ignacio Beristain, the man credited for Marquez's continued rise to superstardom, has warned that the much anticipated rematch will never materialize "unless Top Rank starts to get a lot more realistic about the purse money on offer," said a report by James Blears over at the Boxingscene website.

Beristain made these statements during a rigorous workout by Marquez at the Gilberto Roman Gym in Mexico City. Reportedly, Marquez has been training since November and even kept a spartan lifestyle during Christmas Day, training and working out at the gym while people enjoyed the festivities.

"There are a lot of difficulties, not just a few in the negotiations for Juan Manuel's purse," said Beristain. "Bob Arum's son (Todd Du Boef) and Fernando Beltran are proving a bit difficult. I hope that by mid-January, we should have a deal concluded but if not I don't think there's going to be a fight."
The manager explained that the contentious point lies not with Du Boef who he has yet to meet, but Fernando Beltran who he claims is offering "a ridiculous amount. Half as much as my fighter wants," said Beristain. "We want more because Juan Manuel is the champion. I consider this to be an abuse. We want money not peanuts."

"We want a minimum of 1.5 million dollars, and they're offering about half of that," Beristain cited, when asked what was being put on the table.

"We want this fight to go ahead. Juan has been working exceptionally hard in the preparation. And we want to show the fans Juan's class as a fighter, in order to gain access to better paydays."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:41 am 
Heavyweight

is this even a PPV event or regular HBO?
how much is Pac's purse?

w/o PPV it seems hard to reach those $ amounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:57 am 

they both deserve it, and it should be on PPV, but even w/out PPV they can still reach that amount, Mayeather recieves 3M fighting a garbage can and it's not on PPV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:59 am 
Lightweight

I think they just want to avoid Pacman If this are the condition they want
to happen.

HOW MUCH PURSE THEY GET FROM THE SALIDO FIGHT?
ARE THEY MARKETABLE ENOUGH TO ASK THAT KIND OF PURSE?
IF MARQUEZ WILL NOT FIGHT PACMAN AND FIGHT SOMEONE ELSE
CAN HE STILL ASK A 1.5 MILLION U.S. DOLLAR.
I THINK THEY ARE JUST TOO UNREALISTIC!
" FAIR SHARE" Beristain CANNOT USE THIS KIND OF WORD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 am 
Welterweight

Hi mga pare...

Marquez is not only a good fighter but also a boring fighter. He doesn't deserve to get paid as much as PACMAN. He is nothing before he fought PACMAN. Manny should get more than Marquez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:12 am 
Welterweight

Good for JMM. At the moment, I think he is just trying to get a leverage to get a bigger purse. But if he does not sign, he will never hear the end of it.

Hey Nazario, this is how a manager should act -- take the side of Manny and play hard ball with Murad! From the looks of it, you are doing the reverse. Instead, you side with Murad and pressure Manny to sign! I hope Manny will not renew your contract when your time is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:16 am 

Pacman deserves more money than Juan Marquez and if Marquez
camp think any different.........THEY ARE NUTS!!!!! :banghead:

....eto na naman tayo. B/S this fight won't happen!. Mga lintek na yan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:30 am 
Lightweight

right after the first fight, I knew that JMMs camp is going to try to avoid Manny. Remember the words that came out of the battered JMM "I knew I won the fight, there's no need for a rematch". Well, this is just proving that they don't want to fight Manny. So its like selling their car on a price they know no one would take to save face. After being beaten like that in the hands of the PacMan, who would want a rematch. He knows there's a tendency it might be his last, he might as well ask for more money then.

If this rematch never happens, we all know who won the first fight and whose afraid of who.

Time to move, let's get ready for a bigger fight out there. bring on Barrera and Morales, Among JMM, MAB and Morales, only Morales haven't fought Pacman and so far, he is the only one who has shown clear intention of facing the PACMAN, I wonder why???? Ah, maybe because he haven't tasted the kind of beating his two compatriots had.

1.5M and he thinks that is realistic, give me a f!#@$ break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:33 am 
Featherweight

Pac is the one that boxing fans here in US have been waiting for. He bring so much excitement when he is on the ring. we can ignore JMM and fight Morales and they still would attract tons of people to see this fight. JMM knows that those 2 belts he's had was luck from stupid judge. I think he dont deserve to have those belt and Pac is coming back to get em that dont belongs to him. JMM knows his days is so close for retirement, that's why he's asking for more purse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:00 am 
Heavyweight

I think they each deserve $1.5 mil. I don't think they'll get it though. JMM has the titles and Manny has the drawing power. Otherwise, JMM couldn't attract flies to watch any other one of his stinking fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 am 

Let him have it....it's gonna be his last big payday.....win or lose!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:31 am 
Welterweight

You guys seem to forget that if it wasn't for JMM making an incredible, heroic comeback and in the eyes of many experts, win that first encounter, the public wouldn't be demanding for a rematch. The truth to the matter is, Pacman is the "challenger", not the champion, whereas JMM is the champion and deserves to be paid accordingly. And as far as JMM being a "boring" fighter, he sure didn't look very boring "schooling" Pacman after the second round didn't he? In fact he looked like the more polished and accomplished fighter whereas he made Pacman look like a "raw slugger" with no plan B. My opinion is that both fighters deserve the same equal amount but if JMM can get more dinero from his promoter, more power to him. Don't bash him because he is holding out for more money. Unlike Pacman who got pressured a little and succumbed to that pressure. Boxing is a business and you all know it. Marquez is not "running or hiding" from anybody. Negotiations are just the nature of the beast, sort of speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:58 am 
Heavyweight

penasco2 wrote:
You guys seem to forget that if it wasn't for JMM making an incredible, heroic comeback and in the eyes of many experts, win that first encounter, the public wouldn't be demanding for a rematch. The truth to the matter is, Pacman is the "challenger", not the champion, whereas JMM is the champion and deserves to be paid accordingly. And as far as JMM being a "boring" fighter, he sure didn't look very boring "schooling" Pacman after the second round didn't he? In fact he looked like the more polished and accomplished fighter whereas he made Pacman look like a "raw slugger" with no plan B. My opinion is that both fighters deserve the same equal amount but if JMM can get more dinero from his promoter, more power to him. Don't bash him because he is holding out for more money. Unlike Pacman who got pressured a little and succumbed to that pressure. Boxing is a business and you all know it. Marquez is not "running or hiding" from anybody. Negotiations are just the nature of the beast, sort of speak.
I hope they both get the money they deserve. I believe JMM wants this fight as badly as Manny does but holding for more money. I can respect that. But pare, you have to admit that JMM's best performance ever was againts Manny. All his other fights before and after were all boring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:08 am 
Middleweight

now it seems that marquez fight won't happen there's not gonna be a fight
after all it's not like marquez treaten to pull out it's a escape a alibi you can say he's reasons for not fighting pacman but what's new with the marquez camp...he done this stunt many times ... this guy is nuts this guy marquez is holding us hostage a ransom for 1.5 mil pac should find another opponent forget marquez he doesen't need marquez or his belt HBo will not pay 2.5 mil for this fight to happen ... let's do the math if marquez wants 1.5 mil this fight should be atleast on ppv not just regular HBO to make up for marquez demands of 1.5 mil purse and pac would be paid 300k to marquez 1.5 mil no way ...it's a good thing pac signed a contract with HBO that guaranteed him 900k purse if marquez pull out and HBO will choose a credible opponent for pac ...possible opponents
oscar larios, orlando salido or gairy st.clair as for marquez i think he will fight rocky juarez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:12 am 
Welterweight

JMM, is that your way of avoiding a rematch with PACMAN?? you can run (from fight) but you cant hide (from shame).