Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:41 am 
Heavyweight

Team JMM did this before. they threatened not to pursue the first fight with Manny Pacquiao. they were asking for more money because JMM was the champion. But just the same the fight pushed thru. that was JMM biggest offer eversince. this time they're again asking for more. but i guess both of them, Manny and JMM deserves more. this is a highly anticipated fight. Although Juan Manuel Marquez is boring (he's always booooed) he can't afford to be boring against the Pacman.

Last edited by taurused on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:41 am 
Heavyweight

Some of you guys fail to realize that the big time purses are not based on championship belts. It is based on 1) marketability and 2) the consensus pound-for-pound list. Yes, Marquez has two belts. Is he marketable, hmmm marginal. He is behind Manny in all P4P lists. He does not really have any leverage to earn more from Manny.

Tell you what just an example. How much do you think Vitaly will get if he face his #1 challenger: James Toney (has some marketability himself)

Then, figure out how much Lennox Lewis gets if he fights Tyson for the second time.

Boxing is business. Tom Cruise does not win the Oscar every year yet he is the most aid actor in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:45 am 
Cruiserweight

$1.5 for an HBO PPV fight is reasonable. The reason why you
think that this is too much is because you have read about
Murad Muhammad's offer of $900th for Manny which is too low
for a top featherweight and exciting fighter like Pacman.

$1.5M is not high for both Pac and Jmm, but MM's offer
of $900 Th to Pac is cheap, as simple as that.
Morales and Barrera got more than $3 million each in their
3rd fight.

And i don't believe that JMM is scared or trying to avoid Manny by
asking for a $1.5 purse. He & his team are just being smart by getting
the money that they deserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:46 am 
Light Heavyweight

This is the bad side of this sports. Because of greed, fans will be denied a chance to see a matchup between two outstanding warriors.

I don't know how they gonna settle this, but it's so sad that the main reason why this fight might not take place is because of MONEY. I know boxing is a business and it SUCKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:11 am 
Heavyweight

jmm chicken sh...t!!!! i knew it!!!!!!!! another stupid tactic to avoid pacman!!!!!!!!!!!what a boner............... :snoring:

http://www.hotmanila.ph/ESP/2010/gloria_aeterna-01.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:47 am 
Light Heavyweight

Marquez hasn't proven himself yet to deserve that amount of money. "If" he beats Manny in their rematch, then give him a 1.5M purse or give him even more. But until then, there's no way he should be getting that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 am 
Lightweight

If it is stipulated in the contract that the fight will be for $1.8M and that Pacman gets $900k, and if JMM wants nothing below $1.5M, then the heck with it. Let him fight his mandatory challenger for $50k and let Pacman fight an HBO approved fighter who wants a piece of that pie.

While it's early, it's better to dump JMM and start looking for another fighter who's willing, that way, there would be no doubt as to wether the fight will push through or not. For me, I would rather have Pacman know who to fight with by the middle of January instead of holding on to JMM.

If he's not interested, dump him and be done with it. That short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:11 am 
Welterweight

Pacwan wrote:
$1.5 for an HBO PPV fight is reasonable. The reason why you
think that this is too much is because you have read about
Murad Muhammad's offer of $900th for Manny which is too low
for a top featherweight and exciting fighter like Pacman.

$1.5M is not high for both Pac and Jmm, but MM's offer
of $900 Th to Pac is cheap, as simple as that.
Morales and Barrera got more than $3 million each in their
3rd fight.

And i don't believe that JMM is scared or trying to avoid Manny by
asking for a $1.5 purse. He & his team are just being smart by getting
the money that they deserve.

I'm with you Pacwan. A lot of people are blinded by how big $900K is in the Philippines and fail to realize how MMuhammad low-balled Manny and how Nazario failed his job. 900K is too low for Manny for a Pac-JMM rematch. 1.5M is a good negotiation starting point, and 1.2M is as low as I would agree to if I was Pacman.

Nazario is at best a very poor negotiator, at worst he could be a traitor. I won't be surprised if he is double-dipping, getting both money from MMuhammad and his cut from Pacquiao. He should be fighting for Manny's wishes. He should at least bluff for Pacquiao, asking for 1.5M per fight (for big fights), and negotiate from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:56 am 
Middleweight

penasco2 wrote:
You guys seem to forget that if it wasn't for JMM making an incredible, heroic comeback and in the eyes of many experts, win that first encounter, the public wouldn't be demanding for a rematch. The truth to the matter is, Pacman is the "challenger", not the champion, whereas JMM is the champion and deserves to be paid accordingly. And as far as JMM being a "boring" fighter, he sure didn't look very boring "schooling" Pacman after the second round didn't he? In fact he looked like the more polished and accomplished fighter whereas he made Pacman look like a "raw slugger" with no plan B. My opinion is that both fighters deserve the same equal amount but if JMM can get more dinero from his promoter, more power to him. Don't bash him because he is holding out for more money. Unlike Pacman who got pressured a little and succumbed to that pressure. Boxing is a business and you all know it. Marquez is not "running or hiding" from anybody. Negotiations are just the nature of the beast, sort of speak.

JMM probably deserves a higher purse compared to his last fight, but his drawing power is not that strong, considering that the only defining fight in his career is a draw with Manny. He needed Manny to bring out the best in him; other than Manny, he doesn't look too exciting, as attested to by the boos and catcalls when he fought Salido and Licona.

Boxing is business, and if the champion can't draw a big crowd, why should he be paid more than the more exciting challenger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:28 pm 
Welterweight

The Marquez' camp is doing everything it could to get a leverage in this fight. Psy-war talaga hehehe...JMM still remembers those 3 knockdowns in the 1st round and probably the fact that he got lucky in that fight...

He was exceptional in that bout while Manny was less than his usual self...Juan and his camp clearly knows that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:35 pm 
Heavyweight

MAYBE TEAM MARQUEZ HAD FIGURED-OUT HOW MUCH ARUM WILL BE EARNING THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ASKING FOR $1.5M!!! IT'S BARGAINING TIME!!! I HOPE TEAM PACMAN WILL ALSO REALIZE THAT MURAD IS MILKING PACMAN WHILE HE IS VERY HOT!!! WHY OFFER PACMAN $900T WHILE HE CAN ROUND IT OFF TO $1M???

:peace:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
Heavyweight

team pacquiao offered them $13M but they wnted $20M

consistent sa kabobohan tong si jmm

mga napaimbyerna ni master tarugo at napisti ng todo 1. ryanmikhael 2. bluechip 3. macario 4. superfly 5. pacstorm 6. ric_lois 7. palinang 8. paktol 9. gambol 10. joseph_inc 11. igorot 12. gorio 20/20 13. lytbendah 14. edap ..en da list kuntinyu..hihihi!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 pm 
Cruiserweight

:lol: present.