Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:30 pm 
Light Heavyweight

has got to be Juan Manuel Marquez..

.. and not because he lacks the skills and talent of a champion ( he may actually be the best mexican champion today)

.. but because of his attitude in accepting defeat..

He came over to our country and said to our champion; "you know i won the fight.." with all the swaggger as if he wasnt knocked out 4 times out of their 2 fights..

thats like coming into someone else's house and saying your house is ugly after you were welcomed and accorded all the hospitality possible..

no class at all, what he showed was conduct unbecoming of a champion (if i may use the term)..

A true champion accepts defeat no matter how close he thinks it is..

Manny had his share of excuses when he lost; i.e socks, gloves, foot blisters, etc... but at the end of the day he acknowledges his opponent's win and accepts his defeat.. that's a true champion..

btw, in classic Manny fashion, after JMM unpolitely asked him for a rematch just said (in all humility) that in a fight there is a winner and there is a loser and that he was just lucky to got the nod.. regardless if Manny truly believed it was just sheer luck that gave him the win, it showed the true character of a champion.. Humble in the face of victory.. he even went out of his way to explain that in boxing there are many factors to consider like promoters and negotations that would have to be done..

.. i dont know what GBP was thinking by sending JMM over to challenge Manny for a rematch but I couldnt believe they would stoop that low to try and get one.. what were they thinking? do they think they could provoke Manny by coming over?

it was just totally classless act and for JMM to go along with it.. well, just sheer desperation...

I personally believe that Manny will also want to fight JMM again, but not immediately.. not because of fear but because of more opportunities out there that might not come again..like a chance to unify the lightweight belt (by fighting diaz and campbell) or a chance to grab a 140-lb belt by fighting hatton.. opportunities like these doesnt come to often and something he shouldn't let to pass just by fighting a "lowly" champion like Marquez (who, by the way, i think will still feel he won even if he was knocked out or knocked down again..)

I may catch flak for this from mexican fans but i dont care..

this is NOT nuthugging..

after MP-JMM 2 i was just in awe of JMM's skills.. but after this, my respect for him went down the drain... i thought he was just coming over, watch the fight, maybe talk to MP for a rematch... but the swagger and arrogance that he showed on someone else's home just showed he is not a true a champion but a desperate boxer looking for greatness that will never be accorded to him...

He would go down in history as someone who tried but always fell short..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:39 pm 
Heavyweight

I pity a great boxer JMM is :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:43 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Nice post , Reyes.
I admire Jmm ability infact im also one of his fan .
but his arrogance today made me puke.
I hope his camp will put his mouth in the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:51 pm 
Welterweight

Reyes wrote:

.. and not because he lacks the skills and talent of a champion ( he may actually be the best mexican champion today)

He came over to our country and said to our champion; "you know i won the fight.." with all the swaggger as if he wasnt knocked out 4 times out of their 2 fights..

thats like coming into someone else's house and saying your house is ugly after you were welcomed and accorded all the hospitality possible..

no class at all, what he showed was conduct unbecoming of a champion (if i may use the term)..

Manny had his share of excuses when he lost; i.e socks, gloves, foot blisters, etc... but at the end of the day he acknowledges his opponent's win and accepts his defeat.. that's a true champion..

btw, in classic Manny fashion, after JMM unpolitely asked him for a rematch just said (in all humility) that in a fight there is a winner and there is a loser and that he was just lucky to got the nod.. regardless if Manny truly believed it was just sheer luck that gave him the win, it showed the true character of a champion.. Humble in the face of victory.. he even went out of his way to explain that in boxing there are many factors to consider like promoters and negotations that would have to be done..

.. i dont know what GBP was thinking by sending JMM over to challenge Manny for a rematch but I couldnt believe they would stoop that low to try and get one.. what were they thinking? do they think they could provoke Manny by coming over?

it was just totally classless act and for JMM to go along with it.. well, just sheer desperation...

I personally believe that Manny will also want to fight JMM again, but not immediately.. not because of fear but because of more opportunities out there that might not come again..like a chance to unify the lightweight belt (by fighting diaz and campbell) or a chance to grab a 140-lb belt by fighting hatton.. opportunities like these doesnt come to often and something he shouldn't let to pass just by fighting a "lowly" champion like Marquez (who, by the way, i think will still feel he won even if he was knocked out or knocked down again..)

this is NOT nuthugging..

after MP-JMM 2 i was just in awe of JMM's skills.. but after this, my respect for him went down the drain... i thought he was just coming over, watch the fight, maybe talk to MP for a rematch... but the swagger and arrogance that he showed on someone else's home just showed he is not a true a champion but a desperate boxer looking for greatness that will never be accorded to him...

Reyes, you write so well. You're even better than Ricah Trinidad. I totally agree with your statement. Hope you could also write a column at Inquirer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:53 pm 
Welterweight

Reyes wrote:

this is NOT nuthugging..

nice one there.. it's really unpolite to do such thing like what jmm did... it's like a lowblow to manny...

Trans:
"Huwag kayong gay-an.. kung maggagay-an kayo, huwag gay-on"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:55 pm 
Heavyweight

T/S is a better writer than old senile Recah.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:58 pm 
Welterweight

e-goy wrote:
Reyes wrote:

this is NOT nuthugging..

Reyes, you write so well. You're even better than Ricah Trinidad. I totally agree with your statement. Hope you could also write a column at Inquirer.

I second. I knew this is coming. JMM is trying to convince the heart of Manny Pacquiao. His heart is the filipino people. Hopefully,
the PACMAN, the pacquiao team and arum stays with their plan to invade the lightweight .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:28 pm 
Light Heavyweight

e-goy wrote:

recah trinidad?, that guy hates manny..

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:31 pm 
Welterweight

PONCE AND PENALOSA--- TACTICALLY, PENALOSA COULD HAVE WON IT --
YET, PONCE WON BUT IN CONTROVERSY ---STILL, PENALOSA ACCEPTED HIS DEFEAT
AND HE NEVER MADE ANY SCORNFUL, ARROGANT STATEMENTS AGAINST PONCE...

BUT IN THE CASE OF MARQUEZ.. IT'S DIFFERENT..

A TRUE CHAMPION DOES NOT PROCLAIM HIS GREATNESS BY HIMSELF
BUT HE LET THE PEOPLE DECLARE IT!

A TRUE CHAMPION HAS A GOLDEN SPORTSMANSHIP IN HIM...

BUT AN ARROGANT, PROUD, SELF-CONCEIT MAN SHALL FALL IN HIS OWN PIT!

IS AGING MARQUEZ SO UNCOMFORTABLE AND UNEASY
THINKING OF THE YEARS THAT SLOWLY EATING HIM---

THAT HE HAS TO PROVOKE PAC FOR THE EARLIEST RUBBER MATCH, OTHERWISE,
WE CAN'T IMAGINE IF HE'S ALREADY AT 40 TO REALIZE IT??? :?

GO MARQUEZ! PROVOKE PAC WHILE IT'S NOT YET TOO LATE!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:50 pm 
Bantamweight

Top Rank and GBP maybe enjoying every minute of these... for the kind of money to be made for the third rematch. But without a doubt Pacman is boiling down inside after being insulted by JMM at his very own backyard claiming that he got robbed at their last encounter and want a rematch immediately. I shiiit you not, the next time they'll meet in the ring Pacman will knock out the living daylights out of him. I can almost imagine how Pacman will start loosing sleep from now on - on why in the hell he was not that agressive enough at their last meeting. Let's face it folks, if Barrera is too slow for Pacman, if Morales has a fragile body, JMM has a crystal chin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:55 pm 
Lightweight

Reyes wrote:

this is NOT nuthugging..

Too long for a short message, which is pointless in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:59 pm 
Heavyweight

nyroh wrote:
Top Rank and GBP maybe enjoying every minute of these... for the kind of money to be made for the third rematch. But without a doubt Pacman is boiling down inside after being insulted by JMM at his very own backyard claiming that he got robbed at their last encounter and want a rematch immediately. I shiiit you not, the next time they'll meet in the ring Pacman will knock out the living daylights out of him. I can almost imagine how Pacman will start loosing sleep from now on - on why in the hell he was not that agressive enough at their last meeting. Let's face it folks, if Barrera is too slow for Pacman, if Morales has a fragile body, JMM has a crystal chin.

Manny handled himself very well, he kept his cool and we should admire him for that. I can see a rematch not far from happening in the near future. I agree with you bro, if it happens Manny will make sure JMM will be KO'ed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 pm 
Lightweight

art babao wrote:

PONCE AND PENALOSA--- TACTICALLY, PENALOSA COULD HAVE WON IT --
YET, PONCE WON BUT IN CONTROVERSY ---STILL, PENALOSA ACCEPTED HIS DEFEAT
AND HE NEVER MADE ANY SCORNFUL, ARROGANT STATEMENTS AGAINST PONCE...

BUT IN THE CASE OF MARQUEZ.. IT'S DIFFERENT..

A TRUE CHAMPION DOES NOT PROCLAIM HIS GREATNESS BY HIMSELF
BUT HE LET THE PEOPLE DECLARE IT!

A TRUE CHAMPION HAS A GOLDEN SPORTSMANSHIP IN HIM...

BUT AN ARROGANT, PROUD, SELF-CONCEIT MAN SHALL FALL IN HIS OWN PIT!

IS AGING MARQUEZ SO UNCOMFORTABLE AND UNEASY
THINKING OF THE YEARS THAT SLOWLY EATING HIM---

THAT HE HAS TO PROVOKE PAC FOR THE EARLIEST RUBBER MATCH, OTHERWISE,
WE CAN'T IMAGINE IF HE'S ALREADY AT 40 TO REALIZE IT??? :?

GO MARQUEZ! PROVOKE PAC WHILE IT'S NOT YET TOO LATE!

For the record, there are many boxing scribes who believed JMM won in his rematch with Pacman than those who think Gerry won against DPDL.

If Gerry challenges DPDL for rematch because he believed he won, JMM is likewise entitled to it (or has more right to do it). With your bashing of JMM, you nut huggers only showed your double standard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Reyes wrote:

this is NOT nuthugging..

packy scored 4 Knock downs on their 2 fights, not KO. just trying to correct your statement.

i guess its part of the big hyping job of GBP, business as usual.. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 pm 
Strawweight

thanks for highlighting that one. it's a pity if one can't seem to see the difference between a knockdown and a knock out. it appears that it's not only GBP who's guilty of doing a hyping job.