Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Pacquiao-Marquez update!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

Pacquiao-Marquez update!

Source: http://www.fightnews.com

January 5, 2005

By Karl Freitag and Bill Luppert

Promoter Murad Muhammad was in Las Vegas today, meeting with Top Rank to try to finalize the February 26 rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. "It's not final," Muhammad told Fightnews.com, "but we believe it's done. It looks like the 26th is going to go on."

Murad added, "Bob [Arum] and I are trying to straighten out Marquez' situation. Marquez took the stand that he believes that Pacquiao should not be paid as much as him, or more."

Muhammad said the issue arose due to the Marquez camp reading various press reports on financial terms for the fight. "For some reason, everything that Pacquiao does is out in the press when it comes to these financial conversations. It's amazing because through my whole entire career I've always kept these financial conversations of my boxers in secrecy. I'll say in a range, but I'll never tell how much they are getting because it doesn't help you when you're negotiating with the other side.

"I believe Marquez is a victim of how I treat my atheletes. I give my atheletes bonuses. I pay them more than what they are entitled to, to give them incentives. So he expects that Bob Arum was supposed to do the same thing. Bob Arum was trying to explain to him that what you hear and what you read, you don't know what it entails.....you can't count the next man's money.

Muhammad said negotiations will resume tomorrow. "Murad Muhammad is in Las Vegas to find a place for the 26th and to assist Arum in any way, form or fashion to convince Marquez not to price himself out of the ballpark....I'm going to be here until this is done. The 26th is right around the corner. We've got to have Marquez, of course, to agree. This ain't new. Fighters sometimes get stubborn, but I think he'll come to his senses. I think that I can play a key part in that, and I'm not leaving until we find a house [to stage the event]. We got to have a house. We should have all this done by Friday, no later than Monday.

Notes:

Murad confirmed that a July showdown with Erik Morales is in the works, but said a switch in opponents from Marquez to Erik Morales was not discussed in today's meeting. However, he told Fightnews, "If there is a fight with Erik Morales that is offered to me, Pacquiao and I would happy to take it."

He also said Pacquiao is coming in on Monday to start his hard training for the 26th against Marquez.

Fore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:21 pm 
Middleweight

sana matuloy... :trouble:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Marquez is in danger of losing a great opportunity. Like Murad says, "he might be pricing his self out of the ballpark". The problem with Marquez is he thinks he is more valuable a commodity than Manny so much so that he should be getting the bigger piece of the pie. What he should realize is even though he has two belts, people don't know he existed until he met the Pacman. He must admit that being a champion does not necessarily mean that he should be paid more than the challenger. Ask ODLH and Tyson. It's the name, not the belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:50 pm 
Bantamweight

i dont understand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:36 pm 
Welterweight

No more update please! Let's move on to PACMAN VS. MAYWEATHER :-)

Stop clicking any thread about Marquez ! ! ! toinkkzzz !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40 pm 
Cruiserweight

kandule wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 am 
Light Heavyweight

kandule wrote:

as in funnyyyy.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

di kc nagbabasa...basta nalng reply... :lol: :lol: :lol: