Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:59 pm 
Featherweight

Many boxing purists admit that styles make fights and that different styles make different fights. I say this because definitely we are going to see a different pacquiao after his fight with marquez and barrera. Diaz is a brawler and an aggressor. The last time i remembered manny facing a boxer of this style was lucero. Although we've seen flashes of brawling in the morales fights but then again morales is believed to be more of a technical fighter.

I remember the article on rod nazario's comments about avoiding marquez. After seeing the two fights of pacquiao with marquez, now i understand why nazario wanted manny to avoid marquez. Manny's aggressive style would clearly be tested by a master counterpuncher.

In david diaz, i see pacquiao facing a fighter with his same aggressive style. The likes of baby bull diaz, katsidis, and valero also come into mind. These are the fighters who want to pressure their opponents and make the fight into a brawl. Now, that is what makes exciting fights!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:01 pm 
Light Heavyweight

juan manuel marquez speaks and maybe comprehends
better english than manny pacquiao.

aihihihi!!! :lol:

baklita

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:03 pm 
Light Heavyweight

mas reklamador si juan manuel marquez kaysa
kay manny pacquiao pag natalo sa laban.

aihihihi!!! :lol:

baklita

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:43 pm 
Flyweight

cholokoy-dfa wrote:
Many boxing purists admit that styles make fights and that different styles make different fights. I say this because definitely we are going to see a different pacquiao after his fight with marquez and barrera. Diaz is a brawler and an aggressor. The last time i remembered manny facing a boxer of this style was lucero. Although we've seen flashes of brawling in the morales fights but then again morales is believed to be more of a technical fighter.I remember the article on rod nazario's comments about avoiding marquez. After seeing the two fights of pacquiao with marquez, now i understand why nazario wanted manny to avoid marquez. Manny's aggressive style would clearly be tested by a master counterpuncher. In david diaz, i see pacquiao facing a fighter with his same aggressive style. The likes of baby bull diaz, katsidis, and valero also come into mind. These are the fighters who want to pressure their opponents and make the fight into a brawl. Now, that is what makes exciting fights!
yeah 4 sure. I saw boring fights w/ marquez but I agree to you bro diaz could make him an exciting opponent to style of manny.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:16 am 
Light Heavyweight

Lucero is a bum, no style at all. the difference between both diaz and marquez is not just styles. it's attitude.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:53 am 
Middleweight

The difference between the two is that Marquez is in a much HIGHER level than where David Diaz is. Manny will definately be favored in this fight and if it were Marquez fighting him, he too would be HEAVILY favored against Diaz. Many here are fooling themselves thinking Diaz has a chance in his upcoming fight or will be a difficult fight for Manny.

You will see after the fight. It'll be a GIFT match up for Manny.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 am 
Heavyweight

Diaz is naturally bigger and is a physical boxer.MArquez is a counterpuncher. Has all the punches in the book.MArquez has a good chin.Diaz was dropped by an old Morales. Diaz is a weak champion. Marquez is a 2 time world champion. Marquez fought better opp than Diaz has in his life. Although Diaz is not as highly skilled as Marquez. His bulk and physical style might create problems for Pac.MP got a punch that can take him down. My only concern is if Diaz makes it an inside ala roughhouse-wrestling match. It will be a war. Trussssssssssssst me. But I expect Pac to KO Diaz...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I think Pac has bigger chances against Diaz than against Marquez because as most of the Paclanders would say "Styles makes the fight right". Anyway, if this fight highly favor Pacman because of their styles, then how about if Diaz faces an opponent that favors his fighting style.....Let's say Guzman. If Diaz faces Guzman then I'll go for Diaz cause Diaz catches the opponent that forces the opponent to fight inside. In this case, Guzman's running style may become useless against Diaz's style. Hehe just my theory.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Diaz style fits pacman's style to a T.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Cruiserweight

Sluggo wrote:
The difference between the two is that Marquez is in a much HIGHER level than where David Diaz is. Manny will definately be favored in this fight and if it were Marquez fighting him, he too would be HEAVILY favored against Diaz. Many here are fooling themselves thinking Diaz has a chance in his upcoming fight or will be a difficult fight for Manny.

You will see after the fight. It'll be a GIFT match up for Manny.

Bull's eye! You got it right on the button :lol: :lol: :lol:

This fight is just a gift fight for MP. As I said in my other post, Pachuggers should thank Bob for making this fight happen because this is the fight that will make MP looks good in the ring. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:52 pm 
Heavyweight

ricoannamostajo wrote:
Lucero is a bum, no style at all. the difference between both diaz and marquez is not just styles. it's attitude.

Yeah, but attitude has nothing to do inside the ring. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 pm 
Cruiserweight

FloatLikeAButterfly wrote:
I think Pac has bigger chances against Diaz than against Marquez because as most of the Paclanders would say "Styles makes the fight right". Anyway, if this fight highly favor Pacman because of their styles, then how about if Diaz faces an opponent that favors his fighting style.....Let's say Guzman. If Diaz faces Guzman then I'll go for Diaz cause Diaz catches the opponent that forces the opponent to fight inside. In this case, Guzman's running style may become useless against Diaz's style. Hehe just my theory.

I agree with your analysis with regards to MP vs DD.

But with DD against De Guzman, I beg to differ. DD is a brawler who is flat footed and moves very slow. If De Guzman will fight with DD, here's I think what will happen:

What's more exciting is a fight between MP and De Guzman. I wonder how the speed of MP will offset the slickness of De Guzman. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 pm 
Cruiserweight

cholokoy-dfa wrote:
Many boxing purists admit that styles make fights and that different styles make different fights. I say this because definitely we are going to see a different pacquiao after his fight with marquez and barrera. Diaz is a brawler and an aggressor. The last time i remembered manny facing a boxer of this style was lucero. Although we've seen flashes of brawling in the morales fights but then again morales is believed to be more of a technical fighter.

I remember the article on rod nazario's comments about avoiding marquez. After seeing the two fights of pacquiao with marquez, now i understand why nazario wanted manny to avoid marquez. Manny's aggressive style would clearly be tested by a master counterpuncher.

It's not only you who understand. Bob Arum and Team Pacquiao (and maybe even MP) understand this very well. Hence no immediate rematch is happening soon. :( Anyway congratulations for seeing this; others here in Pacland are maybe blind for not seeing this.

cholokoy-dfa wrote:
In david diaz, i see pacquiao facing a fighter with his same aggressive style. The likes of baby bull diaz, katsidis, and valero also come into mind. These are the fighters who want to pressure their opponents and make the fight into a brawl. Now, that is what makes exciting fights!

A brawling type of fights can certainly be an exciting one because of the explosiveness. But it's only IF the 2 fighters are evenly matched. In the case of MP vs DD, they are not! MP has both the speed and power; DD has none of this although he is aggressive and also a brawler. That's why I believe, MP vs DD is not a very exciting fight because of the predictable outcome. Of course I will still watch it to see how MP will KO DD. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 pm 
Welterweight

Granting MP will have an easy win over DD, I don't think he'll have time to accomodate all fighters who are lining up for a fight with him. He's already 29 years old and with over 12 boxers fans want to see him fight, it's just impossible. Age and the toll of too many wars will show in his future fights. I personally don't want to see old fighters against MP and I also don't want to see an old and battle-weary MP against young boxers at their prime. So there has to be a priority:

JMM or Nate Campbell in Nov. 08
Nate Campbell or JMM in Mar. 09
Juan Diaz in June 09
Haton in Dec. 09

Retire in 2010. Skip the other fights. Fans need to give back to MP his life. Oscar dela Hoya, Floyd Mayweather, and Manny Pacquiao dedicated themselves to boxing to become the top draw. To ask them to fight way after their limits is too much. Let other boxers earn the respect of fans so theis resurgent interest in boxing will continue.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 am 
Cruiserweight

romwald2 wrote:
Granting MP will have an easy win over DD, I don't think he'll have time to accomodate all fighters who are lining up for a fight with him. He's already 29 years old and with over 12 boxers fans want to see him fight, it's just impossible. Age and the toll of too many wars will show in his future fights. I personally don't want to see old fighters against MP and I also don't want to see an old and battle-weary MP against young boxers at their prime....

Have you not read many great boxers of old boxed in a span of just weeks in between fights? It's not really impossible because it had been done before. But this is beside the point. What I'd like to drive at is: for MP to build a true legacy in boxing, he should fight a worthier opponents. Bob and Team Pacquiao cannot fool all those boxing experts and analysts by convincing them that this fighter or that fighter is a great match for MP. They know what's a given fight, and what's not, and later MP will by judge be boxing history as to the quality of the fighters he fought and also those he was perceived to avoid. :(