Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:53 pm 
Welterweight

First off, with all due respect to the true champion Morales, this article is not meant to degrade his abilitities nor question his warrior spirit. I will merely dissect the facts and lead to my own conclusion.

Now, we all know that Morales has been training up in the Otomi mountains for this upcoming fight. He has practically lived at this high altitude. I will repost the 1st and 2nd paragraph of this article from "http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0239.htm" to prove a point. Heikki K. Rusko, Ph.D wrote:

"As we've reported many times in PEAK PERFORMANCE, living at altitude is great for the endurance athlete. Moderate to high-altitude living increases red-blood-cell concentrations, allowing more oxygen to reach the muscles during exercise, and also hikes the levels of an important chemical called 2.3-DPG, which helps 'release' oxygen from red blood cells to the muscles during intense exercise.

The problem with altitude, though, is that training there stinks. By limiting the amount of oxygen that can reach the muscles, altitude lowers average workout quality. Most athletes carry out both their continuous and interval workouts about 5-10 per cent less intensely at altitude, compared to sea level (here intensity is defined as speed of movement, not percentage of max heart rate). Interestingly, recent research suggests that altitude's slowing effects may begin to show up at elevations of only 2000 feet or so, far below the 4000-5000 feet mark which has usually been linked with downgraded performances. Training more slowly is hardly the way to become a better performer."

Tadaah! :idea:

Observation #1: It has been written in two separate articles the speed at which Pac & Erik run their respective routes. Erik runs 7 miles in about 70 minutes while Pac runs 6 miles in 37 minutes. I know about the altitude factor but common, the discrepancy is too large. Morales runs 1 mile more but yet finishes 33 minutes later...hmmm. And Pacquiao isn't exaclty running strictly on flatland either. The hills in Hollywood reaches probably up to 2,000 feet above sea level. Now that article above gets a little more clearer.

Observation #2: Erik has been dubbed a slow starter. Now we know why. It's due to his high altitude training. It takes him awhile to get acclimated on sea level, especially his handspeed and footwork. Remember the Barrera fight when he said afterwards that his body couldn't react like he wanted to in the earlier rounds...point proven.

Observation #3: Pac speed is already superior in the first place, so imagine his advantage come fight night.

Observation #4: Sure, Marquez dominated the later rounds, but what happened to him again in the 1st round...slow start anyone? And how does Marquez train again...if I'm not mistaken...high altitude!

Conclusion: Based on the article and my factual observations, an athlete's performance can deteriorate by training at high altitudes. It may be great for long distance runners for stamina but handspeed and quick footwork are key in boxing. Manny on the other hand is training at a perfect setting. He runs at high altitudes for stamina, then hones his skills at sea level where he can achieve maximum speed. I don't have the credibility to tell Coach Roach, but I think he should instruct Pac to go for the kill from the opening bell. Don't wait for Erik to adjust in the later rounds like what he did with Barrera, and what Marquez did against Pacquiao. Coach mentioned to do this earlier, but now he is saying that Pac will pick his spots to attack. My first prediction was Pac by KO in the late rounds, but now if Pac goes for the jugular early, this could be an early night folks.

Last edited by jesguerra on Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:01 pm 
Featherweight

wow... nice post.. keep in posting bro..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:02 pm 
Middleweight

VERY BIG POSSIBILITY BRO. IT COULD HAPPEN TO ERIK M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:05 pm 
Light Heavyweight

GALING PARE...

VERY SENSIBLE...

I PREDICTED AN KO8 BEFORE...

I'M LOWERING IT TO KO4...

:toast:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:10 pm 
Middleweight

nice one bro....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Very nice and sensible article pare. Galing ng analysis mo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:16 pm 
Welterweight

Whatever I can do to help our idol.

Does anyone think this is worth telling Coach Roach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:21 pm 
Lightweight

very nice insights bro :D you really are a pacman fan :bounce1:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:23 pm 
Welterweight

jesguerra wrote:
First off, with all due respect to the true champion Morales, this article is not meant to degrade his abilitities nor question his warrior spirit. I will merely dissect the facts and lead to my own conclusion.

Now, we all know that Morales has been training up in the Otomi mountains for this upcoming fight. He has practically lived at this high altitude. I will repost the 1st and 2nd paragraph of this article from "http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0239.htm" to prove a point. Heikki K. Rusko, Ph.D wrote:

"As we've reported many times in PEAK PERFORMANCE, living at altitude is great for the endurance athlete. Moderate to high-altitude living increases red-blood-cell concentrations, allowing more oxygen to reach the muscles during exercise, and also hikes the levels of an important chemical called 2.3-DPG, which helps 'release' oxygen from red blood cells to the muscles during intense exercise

The problem with altitude, though, is that training there stinks. By limiting the amount of oxygen that can reach the muscles, altitude lowers average workout quality. Most athletes carry out both their continuous and interval workouts about 5-10 per cent less intensely at altitude, compared to sea level (here intensity is defined as speed of movement, not percentage of max heart rate). Interestingly, recent research suggests that altitude's slowing effects may begin to show up at elevations of only 2000 feet or so, far below the 4000-5000 feet mark which has usually been linked with downgraded performances. Training more slowly is hardly the way to become a better performer."

Tadaah! :idea:

Observation #1: It has been written in two separate articles the speed at which Pac & Erik run their respective routes. Erik runs 7 miles in about 70 minutes while Pac runs 6 miles in 37 minutes. I know about the altitude factor but common, the discrepancy is too large. Morales runs 1 mile more but yet finishes 33 minutes later...hmmm. And Pacquiao isn't exaclty running strictly on flatland either. The hills in Hollywood reaches probably up to 2,000 feet above see level. Now that article above gets a little more clearer.

Observation #2: Erik has been dubbed a slow starter. Now we know why. It's due to his high altitude training. It takes him a while to get acclimated on sea level, especially his handspeed and footwork. Remember the Barrera fight when he said afterwards that his body couldn't react like he wanted to in the earlier rounds...point proven.

Observation #3: Pac speed is already superior in the first place, so imagine his advantage come fight night.

Observation #4: Sure Marquez dominated the later rounds but what happened to him again in the 1st round...slow start anyone? And how does Marquez train again...if I'm not mistaken...high altitude!

Conclusion: Based on the article and my factual observations, an athlete's performance can deteriorate by training at high altitudes. It may be great for long distance runners for stamina but handspeed and quick footwork is key in boxing. Manny on the other hand is training at a perfect setting. He runs at high altitudes for stamina, then hones his skills at sea level where he can achieve maximum speed. I don't have the credibility to tell Coach Roach, but I think he should instruct Pac to go for the kill from the opening bell. Don't wait for Erik to adjust in the later rounds like what he did with Barrera, and what Marquez did against Pacquiao. Coach mentioned to do this earlier, but now he is saying that Pac will pick his spots to attack. My first prediction was Pac by KO in the late rounds, but now if Pac goes for the jugular early, this could be an early night folks.

A very good observation bro and a logical conclusion. However , i have some comments on the running rate computations you did (its just trivial thing). EM runs 7 miles in 70mins, that goes to say that his running speed is 0.1 mile/min. While MP runs 6miles for only 37min, and therfore his running at a rate of 0.16mile/min. Given their rates, if they started running at the same time, after 37 mins, MP has already completed 6miles, while EM is still at 3.7miles. So he still has 33mins to complete his 7mile running distance. But the point is still the same , MP runs faster than EM. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Quote:

Originally posted by jesguerra:

Palagay ko alam na rin ni Roach yang mga bagay na yan kaya di siya gumagaya sa Mexican trainers sa pagtri-train sa mga boxers nya. Alam ko mas prefer pa nga niya sa mainit na lugar pag nag-train siya ng boxer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:28 pm 
Welterweight

"Palagay ko alam na rin ni Roach yang mga bagay na yan kaya di siya gumagaya sa Mexican trainers sa pagtri-train sa mga boxers nya. Alam ko mas prefer pa nga niya sa mainit na lugar pag nag-train siya ng boxer."

You are right, bro! It might just insult him...never mind.

Post subject: great post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:29 pm 
Featherweight

Im with you bro, i think you're right about that EM's high alttitude training bit... Good analysis and observation, you make sense! Actually I thought about that too so I guess im not the only having you're same thoughts! Now it made sense to me that Roach is not worried at all about EM's high altittude training and that is why Roach is okay with Pac training in normal altittude! Remember last year, JMM was training in high altittude, but Roach this time did not make any adjustments but instead train Pac in his normal training routine! I think the only adjustment Roach have done to Pacs training right now, is the developing of a new strategy against EM, which, as we all know is known as MANILA ICE!!!

Pac in 3 or 5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 pm 
Light Heavyweight

jesguerra wrote:

Can Bronxwarrior call (again?) Freddie Roach? or no need coz Manny once in a while visits this site?

Nice post, bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:38 pm 
Middleweight

Good analysis and explanation! Any opposite comments from the EM camp? If there is, pls. also tell us your scientific explanation rather than just your own opinion about this (unless you are a scientist or doctor).

Bakal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:45 pm 
Welterweight

You obviously did your homework in outstanding fashion. Articulate, thought-provoking, and very academic. Well done. Now, below is my own weakness :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next