Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:36 pm 
Middleweight

Andre Ward, who? Who has he beaten? He beat Dawson, really? And who is Dawson anyway? Ward has not shown anything remarkable. Maybe he looked good in his last fight but who did he beat? The man he beat is not even rated in the 10 pound for pound best. And particularly they fought in their own confortable weights. What is remarkable about that? Maybe it could be a spectacular win to some but as I have commented against who? One is judged by the opposition one beats. Winning in spectacular fashion against someone who is not even spectacular is meaningless. Do not compare apples and oranges. A boxer is considered pound for pound best if he has proven that he can win even at weights uncomfortable with him and that will make a win more meaningful. The class of opposition say a lot on a boxer's win record. Beating Dawson is just ordinary, OK?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 pm 
Welterweight

who is andre ward? quite arguably the new number 1 pound for pound kingpin and the best super middleweight in the world.

you must not be a boxing fan if you have no idea who he's fought.

he's fought, beaten and dominated the prime super middleweights in his division, denmark's mikkel 'viking' kessler, germany's arthur abraham, englands carl 'the cobra' froch. these 3 names ALONE is already hall of fame worthy in regards to quality of opposition.

but i'll keep going. he also recently fought and beaten Light Heavyweight champion, Chad Dawson. and throughout his career he's fought vert powerful contenders at super middleweight such as sakio 'scorpion' bika, allan green and edison 'pantera' miranda.

7 titans in his resume, bro. all fought within the span of 3 years, one powerful fighter after another. on top of that, he's unified the belts, is undefeated and a olympic gold medalist.

as much as i love manny and feel he's the greatest, you CANNOT dispute a resume like ward's that could now possibly beat out floyd and manny's position as number 1 and 2 ranking in the pound for pound list currently (i have ward at number 1, floyd at number 2, manny at number 3, sergio martinez at 4 and donaire at 5) .

hope this educated you. ward deserves top 5 ranking in the world and has the resume and credentials to back it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:09 pm 
Welterweight

just seems to me the FIRST ward fight TS saw was the dawson fight coz he obviously has no clue on who andre ward has fought over the years LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Gil P. Acosta wrote:
Andre Ward, who? Who has he beaten? He beat Dawson, really? And who is Dawson anyway? Ward has not shown anything remarkable. Maybe he looked good in his last fight but who did he beat? The man he beat is not even rated in the 10 pound for pound best. And particularly they fought in their own confortable weights. What is remarkable about that? Maybe it could be a spectacular win to some but as I have commented against who? One is judged by the opposition one beats. Winning in spectacular fashion against someone who is not even spectacular is meaningless. Do not compare apples and oranges. A boxer is considered pound for pound best if he has proven that he can win even at weights uncomfortable with him and that will make a win more meaningful. The class of opposition say a lot on a boxer's win record. Beating Dawson is just ordinary, OK?

wth :lol:

as if the dawson win is only ward's claim to fame.

andre ward won the super six super middleweight tournament.

he has beaten every super middle available.

notable fights

edison miranda-
mikkel kessler -
allan green - -
sakio bika -
arthur abraham
carl froch
chad dawson

titles: WBA, WBC, RING supermiddleweight

now if you have no idea what is the super six or who are these fighters, then you should follow a different sport.

try figure skating.
:carnival:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
Heavyweight

pacland (boxing forum) is really dead. :(

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 pm 
Light Heavyweight

assassin21 wrote:
who is andre ward? quite arguably the new number 1 pound for pound kingpin and the best super middleweight in the world.

he's fought, beaten and dominated the prime super middleweights in his division, denmark's mikkel 'viking' kessler, germany's arthur abraham, englands carl 'the cobra' froch. these 3 names ALONE is already hall of fame worthy in regards to quality of opposition.

but i'll keep going. he also recently fought and beaten Light Heavyweight champion, Chad Dawson. and throughout his career he's fought vert powerful contenders at super middleweight such as sakio 'scorpion' bika, allan green and edison 'pantera' miranda.

7 titans in his resume, bro. all fought within the span of 3 years, one powerful fighter after another. on top of that, he's unified the belts, is undefeated and a olympic gold medalist.

as much as i love manny and feel he's the greatest, you CANNOT dispute a resume like ward's that could now possibly beat out floyd and manny's position as number 1 and 2 ranking in the pound for pound list currently (i have ward at number 1, floyd at number 2, manny at number 3, sergio martinez at 4 and donaire at 5) .

hope this educated you. ward deserves top 5 ranking in the world and has the resume and credentials to back it up.

Nice post. IMHO the supermiddleweight division is the toughest division among all the divisions at the time Ward dominated it. It's just full of bad a$$ fighters.

This alone made him #1 in my own list of P4P ranking but Ward just solidified it with his dominant performance against Dawson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm 
Middleweight

LOL dude got owned. Just strange that there are people here that can't appreciate boxing if it's not the Pacman.

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" - Baddes Man on Earth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Welterweight

Well Ward is the best at 168lbs, now to claim the no spot of p4p list he should move up in weight and challenge the best of 175lbs champs. then move to cruiserweight then heavyweight. just like RRJ did.

PACMAN the "DESTROYER"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Gil P. Acosta wrote:

OMG!

Just google it. Watch some of his previous fights on youtube. His resume is better than Sergio Martinez.

For me, I think he should be at P4P #3. Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fought better opposition. But

Floyd has been inactive and Manny lost to Tim Bradley officially although we all know he was the real winner on that fight.

Because of that he can make a case of being P4P #1 or #2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm 
Light Heavyweight

assassin21 wrote:

calm down...Ward's victory over the light heavyweight champion Chad dawson is expected.

when we talk about Pound for Pound best fighter in the world..we looking at the fighters achievements inside the ring...dominant performances against top caliber opponents/pound for pound fighters......Ward's recent performance is good for his resume to become one of the best pound for pound fighter in the world someday...

I dont have a problem with your Pound for Pound ranking kuya but dont you think youre stretching it too much for putting Ward ahead of Pac and Floyd? Do you want me to remind you what kind of ring wars these guys had been to before they were considered as the best pound for pound fighters in the world today? dont you know how many HOFers both these guys have under their names? like i said Wards recent victory is good for him but in my honest opinion you need to beat the guy or surpass his achievements to have a case or to dethrone someone in the mythical pound for pound list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm 
Welterweight

you're looking at this as a big picture.

yes you're correct, manny and floyd's accomplishments surpasses andre ward's if we were to compare their careers AS A WHOLE.

there's no doubt manny's accomplishments in and out of the ring is not even up for debate.

however, the basis of the mythical pound for pound lists are a fighter's CURRENT or RECENT activity and level of opposition.

floyd mayweather = recent fights: marquez, mosley, ortiz, cotto
manny pacquiao = recent fights: clottey, margarito, mosley, marquez, bradley
andre ward = recent fights: kessler, bika, abraham, froch, dawson

kessler, abraham, froch and dawson are ranked in their respective top 1-5 in their divisions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm 
Welterweight

manny's wars against morales, barrera, marquez, etc are irrelevant if we were to look at the current pound for pound lists, so is mayweather's wars against castillo, corrales and gatti. if you looked at their careers as a an entire whole, then you can certainly debate that floyd and manny are above andre ward. but pound for pound rankings as mythical as they are change every month and vary from fan to fan and journalist to journalist, so fans need to understand it's completely OK for andre ward to be claimed as number 1, RIGHT NOW. as in CURRENTLY. on top of being undefeated, fought top 5 opposition in his division, is VERY hard to dispute.

can;'t look at this as a pacfan, coz regardless of the facts presented to some paclanders, they'll always put manny AHEAD of anybody regardless of that particular fighter's accompishments.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
Welterweight

jhon515 wrote:
assassin21 wrote:

Nice post. IMHO the supermiddleweight division is the toughest division among all the divisions at the time Ward dominated it. It's just full of bad a$$ fighters.

This alone made him #1 in my own list of P4P ranking but Ward just solidified it with his dominant performance against Dawson.

i agree with you on this, brother! super middleweight is quite arguably one of the most ruthless divisions, ward cleaned out this division with the exception of lucian bute and jean pascal (whom both recently lost to froch), but you never know if lucian bounces back we might see this fight come to fruition. even the division gatekeepers like andrade, andre dirrell, jermaine taylor, glen johnson, etc are no pushovers. really really tough division

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Outside of Mayweather, perhaps the most fundamentally sound and talented boxer in the world. I haven't seen much of this guy, but his recent wins against the best in his division and the ease of those victories against the toughest opposition make a compelling case for his ranking in the pound for pound listings. For example, this guy dominated Carl Froch who in turn destroyed the previously undefeated Lucien Bute. I don't think anyone even came close to beating this guy in all those wins. Even Mayweather had this share of controversy in the first Castillo bout.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Andre Ward Made the super 6 champs look like super chumps.

Go Ward!

Make your 2013 prolific.

-Jimi Hendrix

Love*Peace*MUSIC