Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 1452  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:57 am 
Heavyweight

freewheeze wrote:
whinz wrote:
freewheeze wrote:
RT @NoliEala: Gilas plays Meralco today at 6pm in Meralco gym. Intro of Bolts to Meralco community and boost for nationals. Game time baby!

anong nangyari sa game na ito bro? Panalo ba Smart Gilas? :?:

i think natalo sila.

What? Olats? Naglaro ba si Douhtit? :?: :?:
Meralco nalang ang paglalaruin sa Asian Games. Joke. hehehe... :lol: :lol:
Ano ba nangyari at natalo?
Good Luck RP Team/ Smart Gilas...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 am 
Heavyweight

whinz wrote:
freewheeze wrote:
whinz wrote:
i think natalo sila.

What? Olats? Naglaro ba si Douhtit? :?: :?:
Meralco nalang ang paglalaruin sa Asian Games. Joke. hehehe... :lol: :lol:
Ano ba nangyari at natalo?
Good Luck RP Team/ Smart Gilas...

Gilas quintet on the right track
9/27/2010 | National Team Program, PBA, Smart Gilas | 11 comments »

source: Jerome Lagunzad | malaya.com.ph

Gilas Pilipinas dropped a 67-71 decision to Meralco in a tune-up match last Friday at the Meralco Gym but coach Rajko Toroman merely shrugged off the loss, saying the game was just part of their toughening process for international competitions, including the Guangzhou Asian Games in November.

"I don’t assess my team’s performance based on our games against PBA teams. We will not be making any success in the PBA. We’re preparing this team for international competitions," said Toroman, whose team missed Asi Taulava, Kelly Williams and Sol Mercado.

The three have been given the green light by the PBA Board to reinforce the team for the Asiad but have yet to practice with the team. Taulava played for the Bolts in last Friday’s match, Williams was with the Talk N Text playing overseas, while Mercado, tapped by Toroman to take the place of James Yap, did not show up.

The addition of the three, according to Toroman, boosted the team’s chances in the Asiad, set on Nov. 12-27.

"We’re more competitive now. The three new players should only make the proper adjustments," Toroman, 55, told Malaya. "We’re definitely on the right way."

Toroman had initially eyed the trio of Taulava, Williams and Yap, but the Derby Ace shooter, recently named the pro league’s MVP for the second time, begged off due to personal problems.

Last Wednesday, PBA Commissioner Chito Salud confirmed Mercado has been green-lighted by Rain or Shine to join Gilas. The PBA Board had approved the participation of Taulava and Williams in the Asiad in its recent planning session in Bangkok.

"I think they will fit us. Asi was with us in Lebanon and he showed he can help us. I’m expecting Kelly to be aggressive defensively and drain buckets inside. Mercado is a tough defender and I’m also looking for him to give us easy buckets in the open court. He is one of the best finishers in the PBA," Toroman added.

In its most recent international campaign, Gilas bagged runner-up honors in the Asian Club Men’s Basketball Invitational in China, with a Korean team beating the Nationals 83-82 for the title.

Versatile forward Marnel Baracael, one of Gilas’ vital cogs, welcomed the addition of the three professional cagers, saying: "Masaya dahil malaki ang maitutulong nila sa team para sa Asian Games. Quality minutes na lang rin siguro ang maibibigay ko. Mas kaya na natin lumaban para sa ginto basta tiyagain lang."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:12 am 
Heavyweight

Wala bang boxscore nung game? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Who will be cut from Gilas?
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated October 01, 2010 12:00 AM Comments (53)

First, the good news.

Marcio Lassiter has agreed to whatever sanction and penalties will come his way from Smart-Gilas for his unauthorized leave of absence. Team manager Frankie Lim said yesterday it’s reassuring that the 6-2 former California State at Fullerton guard is serious about keeping his commitment with the national team.

Lassiter is scheduled to return to Manila next week after finishing the rehabilitation program supervised by physical therapist Judy Seto in Los Angeles. Lim said he expects Lassiter to fly in with his US-born Filipino girlfriend Jerlyn Pangilinan and their 19-month-old son Montae Izaiyah.

Lassiter’s agent Caloy Allado said he is now working out the details of bringing back the player with Gilas deputy team manager Butch Antonio.

Lim welcomed Lassiter’s decision. Lassiter has apologized for his sudden disappearance and explained that he left abruptly to catch an appointment with a San Francisco doctor because of the nagging pain in his left knee.

Even as he was rehabbing in Los Angeles, Gilas coach Rajko Toroman included Lassiter’s name in the 12-man lineup submitted for accreditation to the Asian Games organizing committee. The roster was in compliance with the deadline requirement of filing the names of the Filipino athletes competing in Guangzhou on Nov. 12-27.

The roster lists Lassiter, Chris Tiu, Mark Barroca, J. V. Casio, Dylan Ababou, Mac Baracael, Japeth Aguilar, Aldrech Ramos, Kelly Williams, Jason Ballesteros, Greg Slaughter and Asi Taulava.

Now, the bad news.

Two players from the 12-man cast will be struck out to accommodate Fil-Am guard Chris Lutz of Marshall University and Rain Or Shine star Sol Mercado. Another player will be displaced if 6-10 center Marcus Douthit is able to obtain his Philippine passport before Oct. 17.

Gilas coach Rajko Toroman, however, downplayed the problem. “We have a month and a half to go before we make any decisions about who will be in the final lineup,” said Toroman. “Anything can happen. There may be injuries which I hope there won’t be. Some players may perform better than others. Nothing is certain at the moment. We know what kind of team we need to be competitive in the Asian Games so we’ll work hard to put that team together.”

Lim said he was told by the SBP that changes in the lineup may be made as late as during the team managers’ meeting a few days before the tournament begins. But it will require a special accreditation.

“We’re informed that any new players not included in the original 12-man lineup will need accreditation directly from the organizing committee,” said Lim. “I hope that can be done. We’re relying on Mr. Moying Martelino to show us how to do it.”

Martelino, a former FIBA-Asia secretary-general, is acquainted with eligibility rules in the Asian Games and is working closely with chef de mission Joey Romasanta of the Philippine Olympic Committee in accrediting the Filipino athletes for Guangzhou.

Lutz got his Philippine passport the other day and Mercado, also a Fil-Am, already has his.

Douthit’s status is up in the air and Toroman said he is preparing the team to play with or without the Providence College standout. Of course, Toroman would prefer to suit up Douthit alternating with Taulava at the five spot.

“Asi’s a good fit for our team,” said Toroman. “He plays the pick-and-roll well, is a good defender and sets screens. He’s very active in practice and we like his enthusiasm.”

Douthit’s naturalization papers are now in Congress. Rep. Robbie Puno’s bill for his naturalization was approved, 14-5, by the Committee on Justice last week and cleared on second reading in a plenary session the other day. It is scheduled for third reading on Monday. Once cleared by the Lower House, the bill will be taken up by the Senate in similar fashion with first, second and third readings. If there are changes proposed by the Senate from the Congress version, a bicameral conference committee will be convened to craft a unified bill. Then, the bill goes on fourth reading in the Congress and Senate before it is submitted to President Aquino for promulgation. The process must be finished before the legislators recess on Oct. 17-Nov. 7. It will be too late to file for late accreditation with the Guangzhou organizing committee if the bill is deliberated on after Nov. 7.

“It’s an opportunity for our legislators to do something positive and tangible for Philippine sports,” said Puno. “We have a unique opportunity to make a concrete contribution to our efforts to regain lost glory in international competitions. Recent legislation has shown that Congress confers Philippine citizenship to those who have contributed immensely to the development of the Philippines. Mr. Douthit is in a position to make a significant contribution to Philippine basketball and Philippine sports and is accordingly, eligible for conferment of the honor of being a Philippine citizen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 am 
Heavyweight

Thanks for the updates. Hopefully, Marcus Douthit can still play in the Asian Games. They can alternate well with Asi in the 5 spot position... :) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Any updates, bro freewheeze?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm 
Heavyweight

http://teampilipinas.info/2010/10/sbp-w ... on-by.html

8)

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 am 
Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
Any updates, bro freewheeze?

NoliEala
House Bill for d naturalization of douthit was approved on 3rd reading, 112-9 vote.
Approval in record time! On to the Senate. Mabuhay!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:25 am 
Heavyweight

RT @chris_tiu: Finally we were almost complete in practice. Mercado, KWill& Asi all showed up today, just Lassiter not around. Looking good!
7:56 AM Oct 4th via Seesmic twhirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:27 am 
Heavyweight

SBP wants Douthit's naturalization by Oct. 16
10/06/2010 | 09:51 PM

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) hopes for Senate approval of American import Marcus Douthit's Filipino citizenship at the soonest possible time.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said in an interview Wednesday that the country's governing body for basketball wants the process for naturalization to be completed by Oct. 16, as the senators will then go on a recess until the first week of November.

“We’re hoping that the Senate will pass the naturalization papers of Douthit by October 16. Otherwise, he will not be able to join the Asian Games in Guangzhou," said Eala.

The House of Representatives made a shift action on the bill filed by Antipolo Congressman Robbie Puno seeking Douthit's naturalization so the player may help the country regain its old status in Asian basketball. The lower house passed the resolution last Monday.

The document will be sent to the Senate Thursday, with a hearing hoped to be called early next week.

“I want to credit the help extended by the Philippine Olympic Committee and the Philippine Sports Commission, and thank them for it. I just hope the senators can also see the light in our bid to naturalize Douthit," added Eala.

Besides the RP-Smart Gilas national developmental team’s campaign in the Asian Games in November, Douthit is expected to suit up for the Olympics-qualifying FIBA Asia Championship next year.

Meanwhile, the papers of PBA cager Solomon Mercado were forwarded Wednesday to the Guangzhou Asian Games Organizing Committee for accreditation .

“We have also forwarded the papers of Chris Lutz, while Douthit’s documents will be sent as soon as his naturalization is approved. We will then name our final 12 players in a team managers’ meeting," added Eala.

Should Douthit get his naturalization papers and accreditation in time, he will join forces with 6-foot-9 slotman Asi Taulava and 6-foot-5 Kelly Williams, two players the team requested from the PBA, as well as 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar a

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 am 
Heavyweight

chismaks muna :biglaugh:

SBP executive director Noli Eala gets into a stupid Twitter exchange with a stupid blogger

Ok, I’m the stupid blogger I mention in the title, and admittedly, most (but not all) of the stupidity of the said exchange came from my end. I’m really not all that comfortable writing about this, but this is the kind of crap I write about anyway, and it’d be weird if I didn’t write about it, so why not.

It all started innocently enough with this tweet from Noli Eala:

I decided to have a little fun with it and posted this:

Then things escalated quickly. He replied. I took a shot. He hit back. I responded. It got heated. And then just like that, it was all over.

I was largely amused by the whole thing. Part of me can’t believe that he was wasting his time replying to me, which I thought was HILARIOUS. After all, I run a blog during my downtime from work; this whole endeavor is really just an excuse for me to think and write about the most stupid things, like how Allan Gregorio is like Val Sotto without the Mr. Suave stache.

He, on the other hand, runs the national basketball federation, in charge of the day-to-day coordination of all the programs involving the country’s favorite sport. It’s a very important job. If I were in his place, I think I’d be smart enough – despite all my stupidity – not to bother wasting my time responding to me.

Which brings me to the favorite part of our exchange: Ironically, all this crap started after he tweeted that he was not petty, and he was “better than that.” I suppose there’s no better way to prove that you’re not petty than by getting into a stupid fight on Twitter.

LINK: http://firequinito.com/archives/416-SBP-executive-director-Noli-Eala-gets-into-a-stupid-Twitter-exchange-with-a-stupid-blogger.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Thanks for the updates... :beer: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:03 am 
Heavyweight

Gilas to face Saudi in Guangzhou Asiad opener
10/08/2010 | 09:38 PM

The Smart-Gilas Pilipinas team drew unpredictable Saudi Arabia as its initial opponent in a virtual first-round knockout match in the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.

The nationals are in a must-win situation against the Saudis in Group B for them to advance to the second round and join the likes of powerhouse Iran, Chinese-Taipei, Qatar and Japan.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala bared the scenario after formally receiving the official result of the drawing of lots Thursday from Guangzhou.

The other preliminary pairings will have Hong Kong taking on North Korea in Group A, Turkmenistan and Mongolia in Group C, and Afghanistan and India in Group D.

Defending champion China banners the seeded teams that are assured to advance in the second round along with South Korea, Jordan and Uzbekistan. The top team to emerge in Groups A and C will join the Chinese and the rest of the squads in the next round.

Although not considered a basketball power, the Saudis remain a formidable opponent for the RP squad, according to coach Rajko Toroman.

"It's going to be tough," he admitted. "While we've already met most of the teams competing in the Asian Games, we really have to come in prepared against (Saudi)."

The Nationals have not faced the Saudi national team since it was first formed two years ago, although they did meet and beat a club team from the same Middle East country during a stint in the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Doha, Qatar last May.

The nationals needed an overtime period to prevail, 100-95, against Al Hilal in the one-game battle for seventh place during the Champions Cup. Al Hilal was mostly composed of members of Saudi Arabia’s national team.

The survivors in the crossover quarterfinals advance to the semifinals of the November 12 to 27 meet.

Although the groupings appear to favor the RP squad, Toroman said it is imperative for the nationals to win their first game. “First, we have to get past Saudi Arabia." – JVP, GMANews.TV

====================
Nolieala twitter

Verifying: RP needs to beat Saudi at the 1st round at Group B to join 2nd round Group F with TPE, IRI, JPN, Qat n winner bet Afghan n India.
6:16 PM Oct 7th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

In 2010 Doha FA Champions Cup, Smart Gilas beat Saudi's AL Hilal 100-95 in OT for 7th place. Note that 62 pts came from Saudi's Imports.
Thu Oct 07 2010 22:17:02 (Taipei Standard Time) via Twitter for BlackBerry®

I think we're better than Saudi. But we can't be complacent. Frankly if we lose to saudi, we don't deserve to challenge for asian crown.
9:10 PM Oct 7th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

We were not seeded in top 8 n automatically in 2nd Rd. I guess its bec we didn't play in 06 in Doha. We're paying for the sins of d BAP.
6:18 PM Oct 7th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Last edited by freewheeze on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:05 am 
Heavyweight

NOLIEALA
Got word 6 key guys of Qatar NT are injured.
Also heard that 7 ft Keith Butler and 2 Americans were sent home so no Naturalized Qat this AG.
Fri Oct 08 2010 21:46:27 (Taipei Standard Time) via Twitter for BlackBerry®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 am 
Heavyweight

Gilas needs to beat Saudi NT to advance. First game palang, knockout game na! :shock:
But I think our NT as nolieala said is far better than the Saudis but there is no place for complacency.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 1452  Next