Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Sky the limit for towering Knicks rookie Porzingis

By Larry Fine

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Knicks fans booed when New York announced their selection of a 7-foot-3, teenaged foreign import from Latvia with the fourth pick of the NBA Draft last June.

Now cheers of "Porzingis, Porzingis" fill Madison Square Garden, along with a fresh burst of optimism for a franchise that had fallen on hard times.

"It's a big adjustment for me still. I'm still learning," Kristaps Porzingis said after leading the Knicks to victory over the visiting Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday. "A lot of road games, a lot of games in a short period of time."

Knicks fans can hardly wait to see how a well adjusted Porzingis will do after the forward/center helped a team that was 17-65 last season make a 9-10 start to the young 2015-16 campaign with impressive play on both sides of the court.

The league, his team mates and rivals alike have also noticed.

Porzingis, 20, averaged 13.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.0 blocks over his first 19 games and was named this season's first Eastern Conference rookie player of the month.

"That was a helluva pick," said Philadelphia coach Brett Brown. "His upside is going to be whatever he wants to be. He loves the game and there is a toughness in him. I think he is unique."

Porzingis came to the NBA from Spain's professional league with a reputation as a fine shooter, but he has shown the potential to possess a commanding all-around game.

DIRK, PAU COMPARISONS

The lanky frontcourt rookie has registered eight double-doubles, including a 29-point, 11-rebound performance in a win over Charlotte, and 24 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks when the Knicks defeated Houston.

Knicks and Spanish national team point guard Jose Calderon said the sky was the limit for his young team mate, summoning the likes of NBA international giants Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol when evaluating Porzingis.

"He maybe looks even better than those guys when they arrived that first year," said Calderon. "But we're talking about two of the best players ever. So let's give him some time to see where he can be. He's been great for us.

"He wants to be the best."

Besides his physical gifts, which include strong ball handling skills, good timing and coordinated control over his long body, it is the Latvian's tenacity on court and business-like approach that also sets him apart.

"He thinks about wanting to be the best," Calderon said. "He works hard. If he has a bad game, he goes back and works hard. If he has a good game, he goes back and works hard again.

"He asks, he listens. He can do whatever you want with him. He's always listening to everybody. He's kind of like a sponge, getting all that information."

Porzingis credits his family and older brother Janis in particular for his approach to the game.

"My older brother, Janis, he was a really hard worker when he played," he said about his sibling who competed at the Eurocup level.

"He wants me to take advantage of my potential and be the best player I can be. So I'm very serious, very professional about what I can do.

"I'm a student of the game, try to watch as much film as I can, learn from my mistakes and get better."

Porzingis has even hit it off with Knicks' high scorer Carmelo Anthony, who is accustomed to being the top banana on court but has taken the young Latvian under his wing and sees a bright NBA future for him.

"He can be as great as he wants to be," said Knicks coach Derek Fisher.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:03 am 
Heavyweight

doubleblade29 wrote:
whinz wrote:
doubleblade29 wrote:
Mod miron, you are overlooking one crucial facet of Kristaps' game in your comparisons--the 3 point shot. The kid is making almost 1 trey per game in his young career which is impressive for someone who's 7' 3". Yao, Sampson and Smiths are no stretch bigs, afaik. Kristaps is tall but he is not a natural center. He is a stretch 4.

I know the comparisons are just for fun. It's just maybe we should compare him to someone that resembles his game more.

Pwede kaya kay Dirk Nowitzki? :?: :?:

Definitely. Kristaps is hoisting 2.7 3pt attempts per game while Nowitzki was at 1.4 attempts per game in his rookie season. This only means the 3 ball is an integral part of their game.

ah ok. let's see later if maging Dirk Nowitzki version 2.0 or better itong si KP6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Nowitzki, Mavs hold off Porzingis comeback, Mavs beat Knicks

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dirk Nowitzki got to see why people compare Kristaps Porzingis to him, and the rookie almost ruined the view.

Porzingis led a fourth-quarter charge and finished with 28 points, but the Dallas Mavericks held on for a 104-97 victory over the New York Knicks on Monday night.

Nowitzki scored 25 points after a strong start, then offered some encouragement to Porzingis after the Mavs walked off with a victory that seemed would be much easier than it ended up.

''The comparisons are more than fair,'' Nowitzki said. ''He's way ahead of the curve. When I was 20 I was scared to death out there. He's almost averaging a double-double out there. He's better than I was in my 20s, so the comparison is probably unfair to him. He's a complete package.''

Porzingis had 12 points in the fourth quarter of his first matchup with Nowitzki, the German great he has been compared to for his perimeter shooting skills by a 7-footer.

''It really doesn't matter because we still lost,'' he said, ''but yeah, I was just hitting shots and trying to do the things to help the team win at the end.''

The Latvian rookie made consecutive 3-pointers as the Knicks cut what had been a 23-point deficit to 101-97 with 43 seconds left, then blocked Deron Williams' shot. But Carmelo Anthony was called for an offensive foul as the Knicks were trying to work to get the ball to Porzingis for another shot, and Nowitzki followed with a free throw before Williams made two more to close it out.

Williams had 20 points and seven assists.

A night after making a season-best 16 3-pointers and scoring 116 points in a victory at Washington, the Mavericks appeared to be rolling again in this one. Nowitzki scored 11 in the first quarter to show the Mavs had plenty left for the second night of their back-to-back.

''Dirk loves these types of situations, taking the challenge of a young guy like this, and Porzingis is a special player,'' Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said.

They had a 20-point lead early in the fourth quarter and fans were booing the Knicks, but Carlisle had to bring his starters back after the Knicks mounted a charge.

''It's hard to keep a 20-point lead, especially on the road in the second half of a back-to-back,'' Williams said. ''With that being said, we've got to do a better job.''

Anthony had 17 points, eight assists and six rebounds, but shot 6 for 18 from the field and also picked up a technical foul in the fourth quarter.

The 7-foot-3 Porzingis grabbed just two rebounds but held his own offensively against Nowitzki, the top international scorer in NBA history. But Nowitzki was surrounded by much more firepower Monday even without a big night from Wesley Matthews, who scored 36 points on a franchise record-tying 10 3-pointers in Sunday's victory.

Matthews was just 3 of 10 for 10 points.

Former Knicks guard Raymond Felton finished with 14 points in the Mavs' fourth straight victory in the series.

TIP-INS

Mavericks: Dallas has won 11 of the last 14 in New York and 23 of the last 28 meetings overall. Devin Harris sat out after injuring his ribs after colliding with teammate Justin Anderson in the first half of Sunday's game.

Knicks: Porzingis was presented with his Eastern Conference rookie of the month award for October/November before the game. ... It was the first of five straight games against Western Conference opponents. After a three-game trip to Utah, Sacramento and Portland, the Knicks return home to host Minnesota on Dec. 16. ... Forward Kevin Seraphin turned 26.

DIRK AND PERK

Nowitzki played in his 1,286th career game, tying former Mavericks forward Sam Perkins for 19th place on the career list. His next appearance will tie him for 18th with Knicks coach Derek Fisher.

FRUSTRATED ANTHONY

Anthony acknowledged after the game that he was frustrated after consecutive losses dropped the Knicks back to 10-12.

''Losing is frustrating,'' he said. ''I don't want this to be an ongoing situation, an ongoing feeling, where we've got to come to the locker room and explain why we're losing basketball games.''

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:07 am 
Heavyweight

Wow, KP6 is better than Dirk @ 20... :) :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 am 
Heavyweight

Nangitlog si Kristaps kahapon... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:16 am 
Heavyweight

Rookie sensation Kristaps Porzingis missed six shots and went scoreless in 19 minutes against Portland. Porzingis was averaging 14.1 points. ...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 am 
Heavyweight

JABEZJ wrote:
Rookie sensation Kristaps Porzingis missed six shots and went scoreless in 19 minutes against Portland. Porzingis was averaging 14.1 points. ...

baka linsanity ang kalalabasan nito? :?: :?: :) :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:23 pm 
Heavyweight

whinz wrote:
JABEZJ wrote:

Hindi yan. Porzingis has the physical tools to sustain a great career. Lin was just a flash in the pan.

This is just a case of rookies being rookies. Even Towns goes in stretches of bad games, and even Wiggins last season-and they are 2 of the best young players to grace the NBA.

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:43 pm 
Heavyweight

doubleblade29 wrote:
whinz wrote:
JABEZJ wrote:

Hindi yan. Porzingis has the physical tools to sustain a great career. Lin was just a flash in the pan.

This is just a case of rookies being rookies. Even Towns goes in stretches of bad games, and even Wiggins last season-and they are 2 of the best young players to grace the NBA.

ah ok, hopefully KP6 will be able to sustain his monster games... :) :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Tumamlay yata ang laro ni Porzingis...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:59 am 
Heavyweight

Linsanity 2.0 yata si KP6... :) :D :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 am 
Heavyweight

No chance to be the ROY for this season...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:30 pm 

14.3 pts 7.3 Rebs

well and good for a rookie. I see that we look in the arsenal and the potential. I get it. this dude can be special....can

i'll go back to the big agile man i saw and won ROY in 1984. that dude averaged. 21pts 11.1rebs as a rookie. goes down on injuries after 4 seasons..

my point?

SPecial players goes and makes a BIG impact as a ROOKIE. they just do.

lets hope that KP6 can have that 1 monstrous season and then go from there.

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04 am 
Heavyweight

I think he will be an All-Star this season...

So far he is averaging close to 21ppg and more than 7rpg ang makes almost 50% FG...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 am 
Heavyweight

He averaged 18+ points and 7+ rebs last year...
Will he stay with the Knicks?
Let's see...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next