Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:30 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Here we go again...

Though he is posting monster numbers so far, I doubt if he'll ever lift that PBA championship trophy soon...

Why?

1. Ginebra hasn't mastered yet the triangle offense of Time Cone.
2. Greg has no reliable supporting casts who can be relied upon during crunch time.
3. Japhet Aguilar is still Japhet Aguilar...Ellis still can't shoot even if he's wide open
4. Greg is up against the reigning MVP (Junemar) whose team (SMB) is more cohesive than Ginebra.
5. Ginebra will never beat RoS this conference or even this season/ TnT will grow stronger as the days go by with Mo and other Gilas guys.
6. Ginebra team is still a "pabebe" team and does not play physical.
7. Manny Pacquiao is still with Kia and will dominate the league in his 2nd season...

But, he could break the spell once:

1. Ginebra masters the triangle offense.
2. Tim Cone will not be fired after just one conference.
3. Caguioa realizes that he's no longer the main man of the team and that he must adjust to the system.
4. Thompson will show his true potential and will be the triple-double machine as hyped.
5. Aguilar will become a monster and Eliis will develop his outside shooting.
6. The team will practice the "Never Say Die" spirit.
7. By luck where other players and teams in the PBA will suck that only Ginebra team will become the favorite.

It's sad to think Greg not winning any championships but this is really a possibility.
Hope I will be proven wrong in the future... :D

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Slaughter, Fajardo neck-and-neck in early tally for Best Player of Conference award


From: Gerry Ramos November 23, 2015, 03:38 pm

Greg Slaughter and June Mar Fajardo are running one-two in that order in the statistical race halfway through the eliminations of the Philippine Cup. Jerome Ascano

TWO of the PBA’s dominant big men today are as expected lording over the race for the Best Player of the Conference award halfway through the eliminations of the Smart Bro-Philippine Cup.

Longtime rivals Greg Slaughter of Barangay Ginebra and San Miguel counterpart June Mar Fajardo currently occupy the 1-2 slots for the conference’s top individual award as per the latest statistical points standings released by the league on Monday.

Slaughter is just a shade ahead of Fajardo, a two-time MVP, at No. 1 with 43. 8 statistical points (SPs) built on league-best averages of 22.8 points and 15.3 rebounds.

Except for the Kings’ 80-76 win over Mahindra on Sunday night at the Ynares Center in Antipolo, the Ginebra center has churned out double-double numbers in five straight games with the Kings, who are now in the middle of the standings with an even 3-3 slate.

Fajardo is a close No. 2 with 42.7 SPs as he averages 19.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, and 1.5 block shots (No.1) for the league-leading defending champions. San Miguel improved to 5-1 in the standings following a thrilling 106-105 victory over Barako Bull also on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the 1-2 NLEX punch of Sean Anthony and Asi Taulava are also making a case for the BPC award after ranking third and fourth respectively, in the standings.

The rejuvenated Anthony is running third with 41.2 SPs behind his averages of 20.8 points, 13.2 rebounds, and 4.0 assists, while the veteran Taulava, also a former league MVP, is just behind him with 20.0 points and 13.8 rebounds.

Incidentally, all top four are among the players averaging in double figures in the all-Filpino conference along with Willy Wilson of Barako Bull (13.7 ppg and 10.7 rpg) and unheralded Mahindra big man Mark Yee (11.7 ppg and 10.2 rpg).

Stanley Pringle of Globalport occupies fifth spot with 37.6 SPs (21.0 ppg, 8.8 rpg, and 4.4 apg).

Two-time best guard in Asia Jason Castro ranks sixth with 35.6 SPs (22.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 3.4 apg), while at No. 7 is Alaska forward Vic Manuel with 33.0 SPs (16.4 ppg and 8.2rpg).

Alex Cabagnot leads the league in assists with 5.5 per game to place 8th in the BPC race with 32.3 SPs (14.7 ppg and 3.8 rpg), while rounding up the Top 10 are Globalport’s Terrence Romeo with 31.8 SPs (20.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, and 2.8 apg), and Wilson with 31.5 SPs.

Just outside the Top 10 are Japeth Aguilar (11th), followed by Arwind Santos, Jervy Cruz, Calvin Abueva, and JR Quianahan.

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:42 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Greg had a monster double-double of 22 points and 21 boards, along with three assists, and one block in their win against Global Port last night...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 pm
Posts: 7272
JABEZJ wrote:
Here we go again...

Though he is posting monster numbers so far, I doubt if he'll ever lift that PBA championship trophy soon...

Why?

1. Ginebra hasn't mastered yet the triangle offense of Time Cone.
2. Greg has no reliable supporting casts who can be relied upon during crunch time.
3. Japhet Aguilar is still Japhet Aguilar...Ellis still can't shoot even if he's wide open
4. Greg is up against the reigning MVP (Junemar) whose team (SMB) is more cohesive than Ginebra.
5. Ginebra will never beat RoS this conference or even this season/ TnT will grow stronger as the days go by with Mo and other Gilas guys.
6. Ginebra team is still a "pabebe" team and does not play physical.
7. Manny Pacquiao is still with Kia and will dominate the league in his 2nd season...

But, he could break the spell once:

1. Ginebra masters the triangle offense.
2. Tim Cone will not be fired after just one conference.
3. Caguioa realizes that he's no longer the main man of the team and that he must adjust to the system.
4. Thompson will show his true potential and will be the triple-double machine as hyped.
5. Aguilar will become a monster and Eliis will develop his outside shooting.
6. The team will practice the "Never Say Die" spirit.
7. By luck where other players and teams in the PBA will suck that only Ginebra team will become the favorite.

It's sad to think Greg not winning any championships but this is really a possibility.
Hope I will be proven wrong in the future... :D

:D

_________________
"It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live. " -Mae Jemison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 43562
Location: Philippines
He will never win a PBA ring unless he will be traded to SMB... Joke... :) :lol: :lol:

_________________
- It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
- Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story.
- Defense wins games. Excellent defense wins championships.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
FunkyDog wrote:
JABEZJ wrote:
Here we go again...

Though he is posting monster numbers so far, I doubt if he'll ever lift that PBA championship trophy soon...

Why?

1. Ginebra hasn't mastered yet the triangle offense of Time Cone.
2. Greg has no reliable supporting casts who can be relied upon during crunch time.
3. Japhet Aguilar is still Japhet Aguilar...Ellis still can't shoot even if he's wide open
4. Greg is up against the reigning MVP (Junemar) whose team (SMB) is more cohesive than Ginebra.
5. Ginebra will never beat RoS this conference or even this season/ TnT will grow stronger as the days go by with Mo and other Gilas guys.
6. Ginebra team is still a "pabebe" team and does not play physical.
7. Manny Pacquiao is still with Kia and will dominate the league in his 2nd season...

But, he could break the spell once:

1. Ginebra masters the triangle offense.
2. Tim Cone will not be fired after just one conference.
3. Caguioa realizes that he's no longer the main man of the team and that he must adjust to the system.
4. Thompson will show his true potential and will be the triple-double machine as hyped.
5. Aguilar will become a monster and Eliis will develop his outside shooting.
6. The team will practice the "Never Say Die" spirit.
7. By luck where other players and teams in the PBA will suck that only Ginebra team will become the favorite.

It's sad to think Greg not winning any championships but this is really a possibility.
Hope I will be proven wrong in the future... :D

:D


So true...Manny will dominate the league soon...
Imagine, Joe Lipa was suspended because of him...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:16 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am
Posts: 20991
Location: Patch Of Heaven
Lakas talaga jinx ng ts . . !


:lol:

_________________
"An earthly dog of the carriage breed;
Who, having failed of the modern speed,
Now asked asylum and I was stirred
To be the one so dog preferred."
- Robert Frost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 43562
Location: Philippines
too early to tell na never magka ring... :) :D

_________________
- It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
- Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story.
- Defense wins games. Excellent defense wins championships.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Greg Slaughter spent the offseason working on his skills and strengthening his upper body under conditioning coach Kirk Collier and it shows in actual games..
Hope he'll be able to carry his team and win rings in the future...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:39 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 10:23 pm
Posts: 4354
The day when Caguioa retires will be the day when Greg will probably hoist both the champion's trophy and mvp finals.

_________________
God(x) + Science(y) = Faith(x + y)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 43562
Location: Philippines
pubringjuandelacruz wrote:
The day when Caguioa retires will be the day when Greg will probably hoist both the champion's trophy and mvp finals.


matagal pa... :) :lol:

_________________
- It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
- Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story.
- Defense wins games. Excellent defense wins championships.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Some facts about Greg Slaughter...

___________

Date of Birth: May 19, 1988

Place of Birth: Ohio

School: University of the Visayas /Ateneo de Manila University

Jersey Number: 20

Height: 6′-11 3/4″

Position: Center

Team: Barangay Ginebra San Miguel

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Condition # 5...

Ginebra will never beat RoS this season... :D

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:01 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 23098
Location: Southeast Asia
Greg Slaughter hopes Ginebra would play like Rain or Shine: 'That's what we need to be'
From: Karlo Sacamos November 29, 2015, 08:44 pm

IF you can’t beat them, play like them.

Greg Slaughter hopes Barangay Ginebra would basically play the way Rain or Shine does especially after the Elasto Painters dealt the Gin Kings a 94-86 defeat on Sunday in the Smart Bro-PBA Philippine Cup.

The Elasto Painters stuck to what they do best – employing a physical defense that leads to transition as well as half-court offense from all around– to snap the Gin Kings’ three-game winning streak.

And that’s what Slaughter hopes the Gin Kings would imitate.

“Rain or Shine, what they do, they're really good at it,” the star center said. “They executed really well, hustled really well, and they play really well as a team and move the ball well. That's what we need to be.”

RoS, despite their height disadvantage, outrebounded the Gin Kings, 42-39, and dished out 19 assists, two more than their opponents.

Slaughter still posted relatively his usual numbers of 19 points on 50-percent shooting and eight boards in 34 minutes, but admitted he had to go out of his comfort zone on defense to defend the Painters’ stretch big men in Beau Belga and JR Quiñahan.

“It was tough sometimes having to come out on the bigs, Belga and Quiñahan, they shoot outside,” the 7-foot Slaughter said of the famed Extra Rice Inc., who, however, missed all their seven treys combined.

Slaughter, though, remained upbeat even as his team fell to an even 4-4 win-loss slate.

“We can always be better,” the Filipino-American slotman said. “We're just halfway through the season, so we look forward to the next game, try to pick up another win, and just keep on getting better and better as a team.”

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:51 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:55 am
Posts: 386
what a stupid thread.
Will NEVER win a ring..tapos biglang may conditions :shock:
no ifs, no buts, don't contradict yourself


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group