Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:13 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA RESULTS

Magic 98
Pistons 92

Thunder 101
Pelicans 92

Knicks 106
Kings 98

Pacers 111
Clippers 102

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm 
Heavyweight

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Russell Westbrooknotched his fifth consecutive triple-double -- the longest streak of his career and the NBA's longest since Michael Jordan's seven straight in 1989 -- in theOklahoma City Thunder's 101-92 win over the New Orleans Pelicans on Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Now 21 games into the 2016-17 season, Russell Westbrook continues to average a triple-double with a line of 31.0 points, 10.8 rebounds and 11.3 assists. Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Marijuana could ease pain, says Steve Kerr

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr says marijuana didn’t help his chronic back pain, but he still thinks pro sports leagues must eventually reconsider their opposition to the drug.

Kerr told CSN Bay Area that he experimented with marijuana a “few times” to help him cope with pain.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ma ... steve-kerr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm 
Heavyweight

La Salle star Ben Mbala led the five players who were named to the UAAP Season 79 Mythical Five which the league announced on Monday.

Joining Mbala, who is the runaway winner for the MVP award, are Green Archers teammate Jeron Teng, Ateneo’s Thirdy Ravena, FEU’s Raymar Jose and UP’s Paul Desiderio.

Ravena made it to the top five despite just ranking seventh in the statistical race. He leapfrogged NU’s Alfred Aroga (sixth) and Adamson’s Papi Sarr (second) who were both dislodged from the mythical team due to the league’s rules of alloting only one spot to a foreign player.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:50 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA RESULTS

Rockets 107
Celtics 106

Grizzlies 110
Pelicans 108 OT

Hornets 109
Mavericks 101

Jazz 107
Lakers 101

Warriors 142
Pacers 106

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Klay Thompson drops 60 points in 29 minutes as Warriors rout Pacers

Golden State Warriors star Klay Thompson sizzled for a career-high 60 points to carry his team to a 142-106 victory over the Indiana Pacers at the Oracle Arena on Monday night (Tuesday in the Philippines).

He achieved the feat despite playing in just 29 minutes and not seeing action in the fourth quarter.

“It was fun, I was in a great rhythm, took all good shots for the most part. Still missed a few wide open threes I wish I’d got, but it was a fun night, to say the least,” Thompson said on court afterwards.

Thompson already had 40 markers in the first half and made 20 in the second half as the Warriors cruised to a win.

The other half of the “Splash Brothers” made 21 out of his 33 shots from the field and buried eight out of his 14 three-point attempts. He also nailed all but one of his 11 free throws.

Kevin Durant added 20 points for the Dubs with Stephen Curry chipping in with 13, but the night belonged to Thompson, who had the Oakland crowd on its feet as baskets rained down from all angles.

Thompson declined to speculate on what his point tally might have been had Steve Kerr not elected to sit him in the fourth quarter.

“Good question,” a smiling Thompson said. “Who knows?”

Paul George led the scoring for the Pacers with 21 points as Indiana fell to 10-11 for the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:31 pm 
Heavyweight

‘WE SHOULD KEEP IT CLOSER NEXT TIME’ | Klay Thompson wanted to play in 4Q for chance to eclipse Kobe’s 81

mpson, a teenager growing up in Los Angeles as the son of an NBA player, was offered tickets to the game. He opted not to go.

Almost 11 years later, Thompson did his best impersonation of a performance he never saw, exploding for 23 of his career-high 60 points in the second quarter on Monday night, propelling the Golden State Warriors to a 142-106 home victory over the Indiana Pacers.

“I never would have thought I was capable of that,” Thompson said of Bryant’s feat. “I don’t know (if I could have matched it Monday). We should keep the game closer next time.”

Thompson’s 60 points came in just 29 minutes, making him even better than Bryant in that regard. He became the first NBA player ever to score at least 60 points without playing 30 minutes.

“We know he’s capable of that,” gushed Warriors coach Steve Kerr, who saw Thompson pour in an NBA-record 37 points in the third quarter of a win over the Sacramento Kings in January of 2015. “It always feels like it’s a possibility.”

Thompson, whose previous career high of 52 came in that same game against the Kings on Jan. 23, 2015, hit 21 of his 33 shots and went 8-for-14 on 3-pointers.

The 60-point performance was the first of the NBA season, and first since Bryant went for 60 in his career finale last April.

“It definitely reminded me of it,” Thompson said in comparing Monday’s effort with his 52-point game. “It’s a zone to cherish when you’re in. It’s something you don’t take for granted because you never know when it’s going to happen again.”

The last NBA player to score more than 60 points in a game was LeBron James, who had 61 against Charlotte on March 3, 2014.

Thompson scored 17 points in the first quarter, 23 in the second and 20 in the third en route to the fourth 60-point performance for a Warrior since the team moved west in 1962. Wilt Chamberlain had two such games (62 and 63 points), and Rick Barry had a 64-point night on March 26, 1974, against Portland.

The 60 points also were the most ever scored against the Pacers. George Gervin held the previous mark at 55.

With Thompson showing the way, the Warriors (18-3) led by as many as 11 in the first quarter and 30 in the second.

Thompson did his best work in the second quarter.

After re-entering a relatively close game (44-37) with 9:10 remaining in the half, Thompson immediately regained the touch that had produced his 17-point first period. He hit three 3-pointers and a pair of inside-the-arc hoops in a 15-2 flurry that extended the lead to 59-39.

Thompson made four of his eight 3-pointers in the second quarter, which ended with Golden State in complete command at 80-50.

Thompson was pulled from the game with 1:22 left in the third period. He admitted afterward he had hoped to go back in.

“The game was in hand,” Kerr said of ending Thompson’s night early. “It was never a thought.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:14 pm 
Heavyweight

PBA STANDINGS:

Global Port Batang Pier 2-0 1.00
Phoenix Petroleum Fuel Masters 2-1 0.67
TNT Ka Tropa 2-1 0.67
San Miguel Beermen 2-1 0.67
Blackwater Elite 2-1 0.67
Rain or Shine Elasto Painters 2-1 0.67
Barangay Ginebra San Miguel 1-1 0.50
Meralco Bolts 1-1 0.50
NLEX Road Warriors 1-1 0.50
Alaska Aces 0-2 0.00
Star Hotshots 0-2 0.00
Mahindra Enforcers 0-3 0.00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 am 
Heavyweight

Cone still ‘shocked’ to see former player Yap playing for ROS

By: Bong Lozada, December 4th, 2016 10:18 PM

Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net

James Yap may be in tuned with his new team, but some people are still in shock the former Star player is now wearing another uniform.

Take Ginebra head coach Tim Cone for instance.

Cone was Yap’s coach when they won the Grand Slam back in 2014 and even though it’s been almost two years since they were on the same team, the fiery Ginebra tactician still can’t get used to his former prized player wearing new colors.

“It was really shocking ‘oh it was James!’” said Cone Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena as his Gin Kings trumped Yap’s Rain or Shine, 81-74.

Yap, too, is bemused that his former coach is surprised he’s not with the Star franchise anymore.

“Siyempre nakaka-miss din si coach Tim (Of course I miss coach Tim),” said Yap, who played with the Purefoods franchise for 12 years before getting traded to Rain or Shine.

“Iba pinagdaanan namin, nanalo kami ng Grand Slam sa kanya (we went through a lot together, and we won that Grand Slam under him).”

And if his games against Ginebra were labeled as “Clasicos” when he was still with his former team, Yap said there’s still that festive atmosphere even though he’s suiting up for a new team now.

“Ito yung pinapanood ng tao, nung nasa Star ako marami rin naman tayong memories na naiwan dun (This is what the people watch, and I left a lot of memories with Star),” said Yap. “Siguro yung ibang gusto naman akong makita dito sa Rain or Shine (I guess people also want to see me with Rain or Shine).”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA ROUNDUP | LeBron, Cavs humble Knicks; Warriors dominant vs Clippers

LeBron James let his game do the talking Wednesday as his NBA champion Cleveland Cavaliers humbled the New York Knicks 126-94 at Madison Square Garden.

While the Cavs were dismantling the Knicks, Western Conference powerhouse Golden State were producing another dominant win of their own, routing the Clippers 115-98 in Los Angeles.

The Warriors launched a five-game road trip in emphatic style against the third-ranked team in the West.

Defense was also key in Los Angeles, where the Warriors raced to a 37-19 first-quarter lead — holding the Clippers to just 33 percent shooting in the opening period.

“I really never thought that we got our spirit back after the beginning,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said.

Klay Thompson scored 24 points and Draymond Green contributed 22 as the Warriors beat the Clippers for the seventh straight time.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/nb ... s-clippers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:58 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA RESULTS

Wizards 92
Nuggets 85

Raptors 124
Timberwolves 110

76ers 99
Pelicans 88

Grizzlies 88
Trail Blazers 86

Warriors 106
Jazz 99

Bulls 95
Spurs 91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:09 pm 
Heavyweight

UAAP: Players' sacrifices motivated Coach Ayo to carry La Salle to glory

By CJ Marquez, CNN Philippines

Updated 18:05 PM PHT Thu, December 8, 2016

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — It's not an easy feat to win a collegiate basketball title.

It's even harder to steer another squad to a championship in a different league the next season.

But for the case of Aldin Ayo, he accomplished that by capturing the NCAA men's seniors basketball crown (with the Letran Knights) and the UAAP men's seniors basketball title in just a span of two years.

Ayo will go down in history books as the first coach to achieve such distinct honor.

For the current Green Achers rookie mentor, the pressure of producing a trophy for a proud institution fueled him to push his team to immortality.

With the immense support coming from the alumni and witnessing the sacrifices his players made, it only added to the burning desire for Ayo to deliver.

"I really just want to win because of the pressure. I saw the support of the management, the whole La Sallian community and how the players worked hard, I took that as my motivation," he said.

The DLSU Green Archers clinched their ninth UAAP championship after overwhelming archrivals Ateneo Blue Eagles, 79-72, on Wednesday night at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

The 39-year-old Ayo said that his players are pleased with the result of their blood and sweat.

"These guys have sacrificed a lot especially in the first part of the season. I'm sure they are satisfied after all they've been through," he said

http://cnnphilippines.com/sports/2016/1 ... pions.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Jeric Teng says Mahindra contract being ironed out, but expects to play vs SMB on Sunday

Unrestricted free agent Jeric Teng congratulates younger brother Jeron after La Salle's victory over Ateneo in the UAAP finals. Jerome Ascano

Read more at

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/ ... LKlPJxX.99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Rain or Shine gets back on winning track, beats slumping Blackwater

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ra ... blackwater

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next