Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA RESULTS

Bucks 100
Raptors 122

Nets 118
Rockets 122

Nuggets 92
Mavericks 112

Trail Blazers 120
Clippers 121

Lakers 92
Kings 116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:54 pm 
Heavyweight

PBA: Gary David out 4 to 5 weeks with knee injury

Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA, Philippines – The only winless team in the PBA Philippine Cup, the Mahindra Floodbuster, got another blow as veteran guard Gary David is unlikely to suit up for at least a month.

David played only one game since signing with Mahindra, and has missed their last two games, including a 91-94 setback to San Miguel Beer last Sunday.

According to Mahindra coach Chris Gavina, David has a "minor meniscus tear" in his left knee and the team is considering surgery for him.

READ: Beermen survive upset-conscious Mahindra

"Right now, Gary is being evaluated by our doctors. We don't know what the structural damage is to his knee, if he might need surgery. If he does need surgery, then he'll be out of commission for at least four to five weeks," he said.

"It's going to take some time for him to heal," he added. "We're not gonna force him to come back."

"If anything, we're gonna get him 100% and ready for our next conference."

David, a former scoring champion, played for San Miguel last season but was released by the Beermen in early November, making him a free agent. He signed a one-year deal with Mahindra last November 29.

With David out, Mahindra signed former University of Santo Tomas (UST) gunner Jeric Teng to boost their line-up.

"Jeric showed a lot in these past few days, what he's capable of," said Gavina of Teng, who played eight minutes and scored three points against San Miguel. "He showed today that he's capable of being a great defender."

"Once he gets his game legs and his rhythm shots going in, I think he'll be fine."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Cone says Ginebra needs to change approach after 'perfect' championship hangover game

Posted by: Karlo Sacamos

ALL the celebration had to eventually take its toll at some point and it finally did on Sunday night.

Ginebra coach Tim Cone felt the championship hangover finally hit the reigning PBA Governors’ Cup winners in their 91-84 loss to GlobalPort in Philippine Cup action.

In their third this season and almost two months after ending an eight-year title drought, the Gin Kings fell into an early 18-point hole then launched a comeback they couldn’t sustain against the Batang Pier.

As a result, the Gin Kings fell below .500 after absorbing their second loss in three games.

“As much as I hate to admit it, we played an almost ‘perfect’ championship hangover game,” Cone told SPIN.ph on Monday night. “My coaching had as much to do with it than anything the players did.”

Read more at

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/ ... y1sukJA.99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA Scores

Grizzlies 86
Cavaliers 103

Magic 131
Hawks 120

Timberwolves 99
Bulls 94

Warriors 113
Pelicans 109

Knicks 111
Suns 113 OT

Thunder 95
Trail Blazers 114

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm 
Heavyweight

NBA Scores

Bulls 97
Bucks 108

Pacers 95
Pelicans 102

Spurs 107
Suns 92

Trail Blazers 120
Nuggets 132

Knicks 90
Warriors 103

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm 
Heavyweight

PBA STANDINGS

San Miguel Beermen 3-1 0.75
GlobalPort Batang Pier 3-1 0.75
Rain or Shine Elasto Painters 3-1 0.75
Blackwater Elite 3-2 0.60
Alaska Aces 2-2 0.50
Phoenix Petroleum Fuel Masters 2-2 0.5
Meralco Bolts 2-2 0.50
TNT Ka Tropa 2-2 0.50
Star Hotshots 2-2 0.50
Barangay Ginebra San Miguel 1-2 0.33
NLEX Road Warriors 1-3 0.25
Mahindra Enforcers 0-4 0.00

Read more: http://pba.inquirer.net/standings#ixzz4SyqA7WJX 
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Why the NBA should let coaches rest their star players

DONNOVAN BENNETT 
DECEMBER 15, 2016, 3:25 PM

After the Cleveland Cavaliers 103-86 win over the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday, Tyronn Lue told them media that LeBron James, Kyrie Irving andKevin Love would rest and not travel with the team to Memphis on Wednesday for the second game of their home-and-home series. Without their “big three”, the NBA champions were without an average of 71 of their points. The end result was their lowest-scoring output of the season and a 93-85 loss.

The Cavs and their coach faced a ton of criticism after the fact. The frustration was not just about this singular action but a growing trend around the league: The Philadelphia 76ers, for example, have scheduled rest for rookie star Joel Embiid in an effort to keep him healthy.

Dwane Casey has only played Raptors starter DeMarre Carroll for one game in back-to-back situations. Steve Kerr has already rested Andre Igoudala and hinted that the big four on his super team could get maintenance days at some point this season. The Kings recently rested franchise playerDeMarcus Cousins, which was criticized by Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni. The list goes on.

When San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich rested his stars three years ago before a marquee matchup against the Miami Heat, David Stern called it “a disservice to the league.” Current commissioner Adam Silver has also expressed frustration with the issue, but acknowledged there isn’t much he can do about it.

And nothing should be done about it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:07 pm 
Heavyweight

The NBA has already been proactive in terms of helping their players make it through a season. They’ve extended the time away from the game during the all-star break and next year the season will start earlier to open up the window of time games are played in. Scheduled rest is part of that conversation and it shouldn’t be frowned upon.

Part of the method to Popovich's madness was that Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were playing year-round when you consider there commitments to their national teams. Kyrie Irving is young but he played internationally this summer representing team USA at the Olympics in Brazil. If we want our stars to sell the NBA game internationally it means we have to sacrifice them selling it in road arenas domestically.

Furthermore, it is not Lue’s job to consider the interest of the Memphis Grizzlies marketing department and help them sell tickets. That is the Grizzlies' problem. The Cavs' job is to satisfy their fans and deliver them entertainment at home 41 nights a year, and then deliver a championship afterwards.

Irving and Love were hurt last time they lost the NBA Finals in 2015. In 2016 they were both healthy and the Cavs were the healthier team as Andre Igoudala and Steph Curry struggled carrying injuries. Lue knows very well that he and his players won’t be judged on what happened on a random night in December. They’ll be evaluated on rings won.

As for James, no player in NBA history has played more minutes prior to their 32 birthday LeBron. If a couple nights off here and there means we get a couple more years of a high flying James in the twilight of his career doesn't everybody win?

An NBA game is not a concert. This is different from Drake cancelling shows or even a headliner like Jon Jones not being on a MMA ticket. Memphis got a free win last night. Their fans and ownership should be ecstatic.

The NBA doesn’t have a resting problem they have a business problem. The NBA owners have made a business decision. They aren’t interested in playing less than then 82 games to increase the quality or interest in the product because that would mean less revenue. However, their revenue model is based on all 82 games meaning something. That currently is not the case.

In the MLB less teams qualify thus it is much harder to make the playoffs. In the NFL only playing 16 games, six of which are in your division, really sways the standings. In the NHL the parity presents itself over a long season because the best players are only playing for a third of the game. In basketball we have less transformative players than we do franchises. This year the two best teams in the league will likely send seven players to the all-star game. For the first time ever we very well could see the same two teams play in the NBA finals three consecutive years. Less teams thus less games matter now than ever before.

The league’s business interests have superseded their competitive interests. For everyone except Ty Lue that is. We always complain how sports is solely a business. This was a decision not with business in mind but results. Lue was not considering jersey sales, or tv ratings, or spreading the gospel of the NBA globally. Coaches who rest players are making a decision with a championship alone in mind and that is not just practical, it is admirable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:33 am 
Heavyweight

NBA MVP rankings: Russell Westbrook, James Harden lead tightest race to date

INITIAL RESULTS

Before the rubric I use, I would have considered these to be the tiers:

Tier 1: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, LeBron James

Tier 2: Kawhi Leonard, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant

Tier 3: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler, Marc Gasol.

http://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/201 ... vp1216.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 am 
Heavyweight

Now, here's where I landed after evaluating them on the aforementioned characteristics.

James Harden 27
Kawhi Leonard 27
Russell Westbrook 27
Giannis Antetokounmpo 25
Kevin Durant 25
LeBron James 24
Chris Paul 24
Marc Gasol 23
Jimmy Butler 21
Blake Griffin 20
Kyle Lowry 19
Anthony Davis 18
DeMar DeRozan 17
Steph Curry 16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:15 am 
Heavyweight

James Harden SG / Houston Rockets

PPG: 28.1 APG: 11.6 RPG: 7.6

Harden's team has won eight straight, including a victory over the Warriors at Oracle. He's averaging 28-8-12, on 44-35-84 shooting. He orchestrates the best offense and most fun team in the league, and his defense has improved to "passably ignorable" which is a big step up.

Harden leads this group in free throw rate again, but his game is more enjoyable to watch in the Mike D'Antoni paintball spree. The vibe around the Rockets is great and Harden's a big part of that. Westbrook has him in rebounds, Harden has the edge in assists and a better 3-point percentage. Harden is undeniably worthy of the MVP, whether he wins it or not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:06 am 
Heavyweight

Kawhi Leonard SF / San Antonio Spurs

PPG: 24.7 RPG: 5.9 APG: 3.1

I just got done writing about how his defensive impact this season is limited, and if the first-quarter results continue, he's unworthy of a third Defensive Player of the Year award. However, that doesn't factor his offense, which is as good as it has ever been.

Leonard shooting 47-40-91, approaching a 50-40-90 season while being arguably the league's best defensive player, regardless of how the rest of his team performs. The eye test heavily helps Leonard because he just seems to have something new on every offensive possession. Step-back jumpers, one-hand leaners, a hook shot he tossed in vs. the Celtics Wednesday. It's a barrage of offensive creativity and it's all hyper-efficient. Leonard is in the 88th percentile offensively via Synergy Sports while leading the team with the second-best record in the West.

He belongs here, just not for the reasons most people would think he does.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 am 
Heavyweight

Eastern Conference

1 Cavaliers 19-6
2 Raptors 19-8
3 Celtics 15-12
4 Hornets 15-13
5 Bucks 13-12
6 Knicks 14-13
7 Pacers 14-14
8 Bulls 13-13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 am 
Heavyweight

Western Conference
1 Warriors 24-4
2 Spurs 22-5
3 Rockets 21-7
4 Clippers 20-8
5 Jazz 18-10
6 Grizzlies 18-11
7 Thunder 16-11
8 Trail Blazers 13-16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:22 am 
Heavyweight

ABL: Ray Parks limited to 15 points as Alab Pilipinas bows to Singapore Slingers

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ab ... e-slingers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next