Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Clarkson, a Filipino-American, will however be cleared to play for the country in the FIBA World Cup qualifying tournament, in which the Philippines has two games scheduled in September before the NBA season begins in October, according to the NBA source.

Clarkson had been part of a 12-man roster that also includes Chris Tiu, Maverick Ahanmisi, Beau Belga, Raymond Almazan, Gabe Norwood, James Yap, Poy Erram, Christian Standhardinger, Paul Lee, Stanley Pringle, and Asi Taulava. TNT's Don Trollano and Gilas cadets Ricci Rivero and Kobe Paras failed to make the final cut.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm 
Heavyweight

SBP officials were still working late Friday on obtaining the necessary permits that would have allowed Clarkson to represent the Philippines in Indonesia. According to Guiao, who had not received word from the NBA or the Asiad organizers when speaking to ESPN5 late Friday, they were also looking to fly Clarkson to Manila before the team heads to Jakarta on August 12.

"Travel arrangements are being made for him to come over," Guiao said. "We're trying to get him to arrive before Sunday so he can at least join the Sunday morning practice. If not, he can go straight to Indonesia."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Knowing that Clarkson might not be cleared to play, the team's backup plan was to try to insert Trollano onto the roster. "If the organizers will allow it, we'll add [Trollano] so we'll have 12 players. If not, it's okay that we only have 11," Guiao said. The Philippines is scheduled to play its first game against Kazakhstan on Thursday, August 16. Despite a race against time, Guiao was not worried about integrating Clarkson into the team if that plan had come together.

"If you'll have someone as good as Clarkson, maybe that's a good problem blending him in," said Guiao. "I'm sure with his experience and his IQ, he'll easily learn the system. Our system is very simple."

Information from ESPN's Dave McMenamin was used in this report.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:46 pm 
Heavyweight

PBA: Jett Manuel now a champion with Ginebra after going 10-60 in UP

By Norman Lee Benjamin Riego

https://sports.abs-cbn.com/pba/news/201 ... 0-up-45501

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Two weeks ago, Jett Manuel was all set to play in the first-ever Finals of his life.

Now, Jett Manuel is celebrating the first-ever championship of his life.

“I’m a champion! I’m a champion! I’m a champion,” he kept exclaiming to reporters after Ginebra downed San Miguel for the title of the 2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup last Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Of course, the now 25-year-old has all the right to have the time of his life as, before joining the Gin Kings, he lived through the dark days of the University of the Philippines.

From 2010 to 2016, he played five seasons for the Fighting Maroons and compiled a win-loss record of 10-60.

Along with that, Manuel also experienced two winless seasons in State U.

Nonetheless, he said he always believed that the time would come for him to celebrate. “I always aim high. Joining Ginebra, it was never a question that we can,” he said.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm 
Heavyweight

He then continued, “Lahat ng napagdaanan ko, it’s paying off. I just wanna thank God, I just wanna thank my teammates, and I just wanna thank yung fans namin.”

In Ginebra’s six-game conquest of the Beermen, the pride of UP played a total of 10.8 minutes in Games 1 to 4 and scored a total of four points.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm 
Heavyweight

While he didn’t see much time on the court during the Gin Kings’ championship run, Manuel said he remains ready and raring to contribute. “Whatever role coach Tim [Cone] gives me, I’m willing to do. As of now, I have to be patient even it’s on the practice team where I try to get my teammates better,” he shared.

He then continued, Nakaupo man ako o naglalaro, I’m gonna give my all to the team.”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 am 
Heavyweight

The Must-See Games of the (Rest of the) 2018-19 NBA SeasonThe full schedule is out. Here are the rest of the revenge games and major LeBron games to mark on your calendar.By The Ringer Staff on August 10, 2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therin ... -19-season

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 am 
Heavyweight

Two days after dropping the matchups for some of its marquee dates, the NBA released the schedule for the 2018-19 season in its entirety. As part of the league’s continuing effort to reduce the amount of back-to-back games, the upcoming season will feature no instances when one team plays four games in a five-night span, and fewer back-to-backs than ever before. But we really only care about the drama. Here are some of the matchups ahead (minus most of the games revealed on Thursday) that we’re most looking forward to:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 am 
Heavyweight

The LeBron World Tour

Lakers at Cavaliers, November 21:The most interesting part about this game won’t be the result. Barring an outburst from Minnesota Kevin Love, the Lakers are going to win LeBron James’s first matchup against his former team. But don’t come for the basketball; do it for the pregame (or halftime?) honorary montage and the crowd’s reception to LeBron’s homecoming. I’m going to go ahead and guess there will be more cheers than there were when he made his return following the Decision, but with Cleveland, you never know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am 
Heavyweight

Lakers at Celtics, February 7: The rivalry is back! … Sort of. These teams won’t be facing each other in the NBA Finals just yet, but the atmosphere around this matchup will be electric once again. The story lines are too good to ignore. There’s LeBron against the Celtics, the team he’s faced the most on his way to the Finals. There’s the clash of the young guys: Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Kyle Kuzma facing off against Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. And then there’s Kyrie Irving against LeBron, a reunion that already had plenty of bite before it became part of the sport’s biggest rivalry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am 
Heavyweight

Lakers at Warriors, December 25:This is the only time I will every say this: Thank the basketball gods for divisions. Because the Lakers and Warriors are both situated in the Pacific Division, they are going to play each other four different times in the regular season. In addition to the much-anticipated JaVale McGee revenge game, we’ll get LeBron against the Warriors, the matchup that has defined the league the past four years. Putting LeBron on the other marquee franchise in the state of California adds another great wrinkle to this rivalry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 am 
Heavyweight

Lakers at Rockets, December 13:The Lakers’ home opener on October 20 will bring some of LeBron’s closest friends—Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony—to Staples Center (let’s call it the banana split), but LeBron’s visit to H-Town will happen soon after that. Remember, LeBron could have decided to join James Harden and Co. in Houston in free agency (though the mechanics to do so and still receive a max deal would’ve been tricky). Instead, he opted for Los Angeles. But to get anywhere close to dethroning the Warriors, he’ll likely have to go through the Rockets, too. This could be a preview of a second-round playoff series.

—Paolo Uggetti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 am 
Heavyweight

The Revenge-Game Circuit

Raptors at Spurs, January 3:Kawhi Leonard said his goodbyes to San Antonio on Thursday in a briefletter—typed in (Lakers?) purple font—but he won’t be gone for long. If Leonard doesn’t push his way out of Toronto before the new year, he will play his first game in San Antonio for the visiting side on January 3. The tribute video industry has run amok in the NBA in recent years, but there will be actual intrigue around whether or not Leonard gets one after nearly tearing down two decades of Gregg Popovich’s hard work. DeMar DeRozan, meanwhile, is assured a montage back in the Scotiabank Arena (and some longing looks from best bud Kyle Lowry), but it won’t come until February 22. Former Raptors head coach Dwane Casey will make his return to Toronto with the Pistons on November 14.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next