Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:31 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 4259  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 am 
Heavyweight

This is great Laker fans keep it up!! LAKERS FOR LIFE!!...... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:35 am 
Heavyweight

UE! wrote:
kobe is vetoing any deal involving luol deng? **** that fool.. what a scumbag!

you're a hater.. quit hating on kobe. kobe is the greatest remember 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:14 am 
Heavyweight

flipbjefrox wrote:
UE! wrote:

Kobe boooooo! .. :beeh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 am 
Welterweight

It's John Paxson and the Bulls who won't give up Deng to the Lakers. I don't get this whole fascination over Luol. He's not even that good. If I am going to trade Kobe, I am going to pursue Arenas of Paul Pierce in return.

And btw, what's a Clipper fan doing here?

Last edited by NoYpI2K7 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 am 
Heavyweight

NoYpI2K7 wrote:
It's the John Paxson and the Bulls who won't give up Deng to the Lakers. I don't get this whole fascination over Luol. He's not even that good. If I am going to trade Kobe, I am going to pursue Arenas of Paul Pierce in return.

tell me about it...luol deng?!?!? LMFAO!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:10 am 
Welterweight

Chris Sheridan on ESPN Insider

Latest Kobe offers: ludicrous
The Lakers should not trade Kobe Bryant this season. Period.

They need to put an end to this circus ASAP, and they should do so by coming out publicly and saying Kobe will remain with the Lakers, that they're no longer listening to offers.

The offers they've been getting are a joke. The latest talk, as reported on Wednesday, by my colleague Ric Bucher, had them receiving Ben Wallace and Ron Artest in a three-way crash with Chicago and Sacramento.

And that makes the Lakers better how?

David Stern should take the franchise away from Jerry Buss if he makes that deal. In fact, he should fine him for even considering it.

First of all, Big Ben is not the Big Ben of old. He's just old. Yes, he's still a good player, but he's no longer a major impact player, certainly not on a nightly basis. At its height, Ben's game was based on athleticism, and with that declining due to age, Ben is ordinary on many nights. Plus, he's owed $28.5 million the next two seasons after this one.

Do I even have to discuss the red flags attached to Artest?

You're going to trade Kobe to alleviate turmoil by bringing in the King of Disruption? It took a new coaching staff, several trades and a couple of years before Indiana even began to work its way out of the mess Artest left them in.

I don't mind bringing Artest to L.A. if Kobe's there, but without Kobe, I don't touch him.

My point is that the Lakers are not being offered anything of substance for Kobe. Teams are trying to get him on the cheap.

Not even Chicago's best offer, which would include Deng, excites me. Put this exact Chicago team in the West and they're a lower-rung playoff team at best. I'm not so sure they're better than a healthy New Orleans squad. They definitely don't have a Chris Paul or a Tyson Chandler.

Plus, the Bulls' players (who would become Lakers players) don't have the pizzazz the fans in L.A. like to see.

Throw in the fact that Kobe is nixing any deal that includes Deng (because he wants to play with him in Chicago), and I see absolutely no reason to deal with the Bulls.

John Paxson is correct to try and do everything he can to get Kobe, especially if he can keep Deng too, but the Lakers need to chill.

Again if I'm L.A., I tell Kobe, "We're keeping you.'' At the very least, I say, "Unless you waive your no-trade clause, we won't move you.''

There is plenty of time to smooth this whole thing over. Kobe can't opt out for nearly two years.

Remember how bad things were between Phil Jackson and Kobe a few years ago? Phil blasted him in a book for crying out loud!

But over time, Phil eventually became Kobe's confidante. Given time -- and a little bit of success on the court (which is not out of the question judging by the Lakers' opening night performance) -- this can be worked out, too.

And keep an eye on Jermaine O'Neal. Let's see how he fits into Jim O'Brien's new, up-tempo, trey-heavy offense. O'Neal's not happy in Indy, and he's one of the few remaining reminders of the aforementioned "Artest Nightmare.''

If Indy continues to play well, and O'Neal's not a big factor in their success, maybe the Pacers will be willing to send him to L.A. without getting Andrew Bynum in return. The Lakers could at least explore a three- or four-team deal that might enable them to keep Bynum and get O'Neal.

Kobe, while he still wanted to be traded, was actually behaving very professionally before Buss came out and publicly said the Lakers are open to trading him. That's when he began to sulk, and the circus started anew.

Also, if Kobe remains unhappy this season, the Lakers will probably get better offers around the draft.

And remember, when Kobe can opt-out of his deal in 2009, it's not like a lot of teams will have the cap room to sign him for $20 million plus per year, certainly not many good teams that are ready to compete for a championship.

By then, Kobe will be almost 32 years old with 13 NBA seasons under his belt. Plus, almost two seasons worth of playoff games. I'm sure he'll still have a couple of great years left, but his best days will almost certainly be behind him.

Just to put that type of wear-and-tear into perspective, Michael Jordan played 11 full seasons with the Chicago Bulls, plus two seasons worth of playoff games.

My point is that Kobe's opt-out clause won't give him as much leverage as he thinks it will.

And while few teams ever go this route, what's wrong with letting Kobe walk after two years (if he insists on doing so) and getting nothing back in return?

Obviously, he's a great talent, but rather than get chumped in a sign-and-trade deal, why not just let his $21 million roll off their payroll? Lamar Odom's contract will end that year as well, giving the Lakers plenty of cap room to work with.

Bynum, if he's ever going to be anything, will be balling by then, and you could add top-notch free agent pieces. Everyone wants to play in L.A.

Remember, LeBron will be able to opt out of his deal the year after that in 2010. If Cleveland can't put the right pieces around him (you know, I hope they can), who's to say LeBron won't be ready to go rejuvenate the Lakers.

Bottom line is this: If I'm the Lakers, I don't let Kobe push me around and trade him just because he's unhappy.

Dr. Buss has clearly taken this thing personally, but he has to be smart enough to make the right business decision.

And that's to tell Kobe and the world that he's off the market.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:11 am 
Welterweight

pound4pound1 wrote:
NoYpI2K7 wrote:
It's the John Paxson and the Bulls who won't give up Deng to the Lakers. I don't get this whole fascination over Luol. He's not even that good. If I am going to trade Kobe, I am going to pursue Arenas of Paul Pierce in return.

tell me about it...luol deng?!?!? LMFAO!!!!

Why the fascination on Deng? Because the Kobe wants to go to Chicago and thus the Lakers will accomodate him to his request but will ask for Chicago's best player in return. However, reports are saying the Bulls have ended discussions for now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:39 pm 
Flyweight

I used to say the same thing, why are Bulls fan so high on Deng. For those who follow the NBA I think we all got our answer last year. He’s only 22yrs old, his rebounding and scoring has been improving since he came to the league. In a couple of years the guy is capable of putting up 20ppg and 10rpg if not close to it and for a small forward I say those are very good numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:48 pm 
Heavyweight

flipbjefrox wrote:
UE! wrote:

he's one of the greatest.. but he's still a scumbag :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Living Legend wrote:
I used to say the same thing, why are Bulls fan so high on Deng. For those who follow the NBA I think we all got our answer last year. He’s only 22yrs old, his rebounding and scoring has been improving since he came to the league. In a couple of years the guy is capable of putting up 20ppg and 10rpg if not close to it and for a small forward I say those are very good numbers.

exactly

pair deng up with arenas and lamar odom.. with our young guns farmar/critt and bynum

= championship

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 pm 
Heavyweight

bryant wrote:
flipbjefrox wrote:
UE! wrote:

Kobe boooooo! .. :beeh:

Haterz invading this thread :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:13 pm 
Flyweight

All I can say is it’s nice to have the most talented player on your team but what’s the point of having him if he can’t work with his teammates.

Kobe considers himself as the leader of the Lakers but leaders are the one who’s suppose to get the most out of your teammates. The question you have to ask yourself if you’re a Laker fan, is Kobe fulfilling that role?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm 
Heavyweight

good night guys

we will own phoenix tom. :snoring:

Kobe = GOAT
Lakers = The Real Team of the Decade....EVERY DECADE!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:14 pm 
Welterweight

Living Legend wrote:
All I can say is it’s nice to have the most talented player on your team but what’s the point of having him if he can’t work with his teammates.

Kobe considers himself as the leader of the Lakers but leaders are the one who’s suppose to get the most out of your teammates. The question you have to ask yourself if you’re a Laker fan, is Kobe fulfilling that role?

The difference here is management and teammates.

Jordan had success because he had Pippen who's also a vocal leader. Jordan was the bad cop, Pippen was the good cop in the team. Compare that with Odom who's not a vocal leader and can't play good cop to Kobe's bad cop.

On a position by position basis:

C - Longley, Cartwright, Perdue vs Bynum, Kwame, Mihm - edge in effectivity goes to the Bulls
PF - Horace Grant, Stacey King, Dennis Rodman vs. Cook, Turiaf, Madsen - edge goes to the Bulls
SF - Odom, Butler, Walton vs Pippen - Enough said, edge goes to the Bulls
PG - Fisher, Harper vs A younger Harper, BJ Armstrong, Kerr - Edge goes to the Bulls

Jordan had success because he had superior team mates. And above all, the above Bulls players knew how to play good individual and team defense. Something the Laker players aside from Bryant don't know what to do.

And then there's the Laker management who drafted:

Brian Cook over Leandro Barbosa and Josh Howard
Ms. Sasha Vujacic over Chris Duhon
Kareem Rush over Tayshaun Prince and Carlos Boozer

And how about not extending Devean George's rookie contract so when his rookie contract expired, the Lakers had to use their MLE to re-sign him missing them out on valuable free agents.

Or the fact that the Charlotte Hornets offered Baron Davis to the Lakers thrice (two were vetoed by Phil, the last they vetoed because of "health" reasons) and they rejected it.
Or the fact that Artest was ready to play for the Lakers and LA looked the other way.
Or the fact that Jerry Buss and Glen Taylor (of the Wolves) had a handshake deal to trade KG and Mitch couldn't land a suitable trade to satisfy McHale.

And the promise to win now to Kobe and yet not doing anything to win now.

Sure Kobe's at fault for a lot of things. But the team management has more to share in the blame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Paxson puts Kobe rumors to rest
GM says there will be no deal to bring Lakers superstar to Bulls

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

November 1, 2007, 10:59 PM CDT

With seven words, John Paxson calmed his annoyed team, restored sanity to the rumor mill and pulled the Bulls out of the Kobe Bryant sweepstakes for now.

"There's not a deal to be done," Paxson said Thursday at a crowded Berto Center.

Despite widespread national speculation, Paxson insisted the Bulls and Lakers were never close to a trade for the superstar despite several conversations and attempts to involve a third team.

"We talked a lot about parameters, but specific things, we never got down to the nuts and bolts of it because there was never a deal to be done," Paxson said. "That's the reality of it. People can make it what they want. But it's time to put it to rest."

Paxson stressed the difficulty of trading for Bryant, who has an opt-out clause in the summer of 2009 from his seven-year, $136.4 million deal and is the only NBA player with a no-trade clause.

Still, with the NBA trade deadline not until February, it's possible this story could surface again.

"Who knows?" Paxson conceded. "I don't have a crystal ball. The reality is right now it's done. A lot of people are searching for information, and it becomes ridiculous. It's not fair to the players. It's not fair to us. I don't like seeing our guys' names in the paper all the time about stuff that's not based on fact. It's time to move on."

The breathless speculation turned the Bulls' season-opening day in New Jersey into a circus, with players being bombarded by questions about Bryant and the current makeup of the Bulls. Players said the right things, and Paxson insisted the Bulls' flat performance was merely a matter of the team playing poorly.

But Paxson also conceded he worried about the issue becoming a distraction for a team many pick to be an Eastern Conference championship contender as it's currently constructed.

"I know as a player whenever you hear your name in a trade discussion, it can weigh on your mind," Paxson said. "It sure did when I was playing. I am sensitive to that. A lot of things that were mentioned weren't based in any fact whatsoever. That's the unfortunate part."

Such as the Bulls being ready and willing to trade Luol Deng, who confirmed Paxson's fears of the trade talk becoming a distraction, openly expressing his distaste for it.

"I am [annoyed]," Deng said. "[Reporters] want to get to the bottom of it, so I have to keep answering questions."

Paxson insisted the Bulls aren't to the point where any player is "off limits." Ben Gordon and Ben Wallace apparently were two of the many Bulls discussed in various scenarios.

But the Lakers' insistence that Deng be part of any deal was consistently met with resistance from Paxson. Bryant, too, was said to have insisted Deng be on the Bulls if he were traded to Chicago.

"The only way I would consider a deal is if I could go to [team Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf and with assurance say we're a better basketball team from top to bottom," Paxson said. "On top of that, this is a financially responsible move to make. I know that people sometimes don't want that to be part of the discussion, that an owner should throw around money like it's nothing. But that's not the reality of our business."

Indeed, Paxson clarified that a signed-and-traded P.J. Brown, who was mentioned in one national rumor that received plenty of play, would force the Bulls to take back salary that would put them beyond the league's punitive luxury tax threshold. That's because Brown's salary currently isn't on the Bulls' books.

"We're not going to do [the luxury tax] this year or any other year," Paxson said. "That's a component again that people don't understand. It's not about not being interested. It's about that there's not a deal to be done."

Speaking to reporters in Los Angeles, Lakers coach Phil Jackson reiterated his team doesn't want to trade Bryant, even while refusing to close the door with a tweak delivered at the media.

"I don't think anything ends," Jackson told reporters. "Do things end just because a day goes by? I know your paper did, but they become partridge-cage fodder."

Bryant's appreciation for the Bulls dates to a visit by Paxson and Reinsdorf in the summer of 2004, when he was a free agent. Bryant has since said he seriously considered trying to force a sign-and-trade with the Lakers then to sign with the Bulls.

"We presented ourselves as an organization to him, and he liked what he heard," Paxson said. "For that reason, he likes the Chicago Bulls, which is obviously flattering.

"We went through a lot of different scenarios. But there's more to it than lining up players and figuring out a way to get something done. There's money involved. There's a trade kicker involved. It's complicated."

No longer.

The Bulls are moving on — for now. And Deng couldn't be more relieved.

"We still have a good team," Deng said. "We know what we're capable of. We're deep enough, and if we play hard enough for 82 games, later in the season teams will wear out. We can have a great season."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

Cotto - "Manny is one of the best boxer's we've had of all time."

I BLEED PURPLE N GOLD!
I hate the color GREEN!

Los Angeles Lakers are 08-09 NBA Champions!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 4259  Next