Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:47 am 
Heavyweight

Puro na lang tayo NBA...
Why not set our eyes on WNBA?
Our own Jack Animam is surely our best hope to play there soon...

Let's track her career from now on with the prayer that she'll end up in WNBA...
Post updates here...
Haters are also welcome... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:48 am 
Heavyweight

Personal information:

Born: November 27, 1998 (age 22)
Nationality: Filipino
Listed height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)
Listed weight: 168 lb (76 kg)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:49 am 
Heavyweight

Career highlights and awards:

UBA champion (2021)
5x UAAP champion (2015-2019)
UAAP Finals MVP (2018)
UAAP MVP (2017)
4x UAAP Mythical Team (2016-2019)
UAAP Rookie of the Year (2015)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:55 am 
Heavyweight

SEABA Championship:

Gold medal – first place 2016

Southeast Asian Games

Gold medal – first place 2019

Women's 3x3 Basketball Southeast Asian Games

Gold medal – first place 2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:59 am 
Heavyweight

Bannering Filipina talent in the States, Jack Animam takes it one step at a time
by KATE REYES
MAY 22, 2021

THE DAY after she arrived in the United States, the relentless Jack Animam shrugged off her jet lag and got to work.

But first, of course, she had to take a vaccine shot.

"I arrived here Saturday night, got my first shot of the vaccine on Sunday, then Monday, I got on the court and put in the work immediately," she shared in a virtual presscon with the Philippine media on Saturday morning (Manila time).

Standing proud beside the likes of Kai Sotto, Kobe Paras, Sage Tolentino, and Cholo Anonueva, Animam is also hoping to make her mark in the United States.

Animam is realistic about her chances. But that's fueling her drive even more.

"In the Philippines, I'm one of the tallest, the biggest, but here, I'm just average. I really need to explore, play outside the paint, make that mid-range shot, take those jumpers," she said.

Already a week into practice in Cincinnati, Ohio, Animam was mapping out what she needed to do to succeed. At just 6-foot-3, she knew there'd be changes in her role as a player when she comes in the States.

Jack said: "I was training with coach Dante Harland, we worked on power moves on the first training, then my second day, my shooting mechanics. I was never comfortable of my shooting, but ngayon better na siya."

From Taiwan to Ohio

A few months back, Animam helped steer the Shih Hsin University to a perfect run in the University Basketball Association in Taiwan last March. There, she gained the honors of being the top rebounder.

"After ng Taiwan championship, my boss kept asking me, 'What's my next plan?' I said na being in the middle of the pandemic, there's nothing in the Philippines. I'll stay here for another year, finish my masters," she said.

"Then he asked me to send my basketball resume. I was wondering what for, but I sent it anyway."

The night after she sent her portfolio, she was introduced to the EWP group via video call.

Just a month ago, former University of the Philippines forward Kobe Paras signed with EWP. Now, she's next.

Beside her in her Stateside journey is Gilas Women's head coach Patrick Aquino, who was also her coach in the National University. Since last year, he's been traveling around the United States, scouting talents for the national team.

Even Coach Pat, her mentor since her college days, was surprised but delighted with the sequence of events for Animam.

"I never expected Jack to be like this. It's her hard work, perseverance, and heart to get what she wants. I'm happy and proud. The experience Jack will be having here will level up everything," he said.

A trailblazer from the beginning

More than her personal athletic career, Animam is also taking pride in the kind of representation she's bannering for Filipina women everywhere.

Part of that is being with EWP, which is run by women as well.

"Syempre overwhelming that I got this opportunity to be here with Tita Chao [Espaldon], Tita Patty [Scott]. The founders of EWP are women, so that's something comforting that I'm working with trailblazing women," she said. "My biggest motivation is the young girls back home who look up to me, 'yung iba nagme-message pa sakin, that keeps me going for my dreams."

Espaldon, the president of EWP, shared that the feeling of excitement was mutual on both ends.

"We're women, when the idea was first brough to us, we just hopped unto it. When I first heard [the name] Jack, I said, 'Lalaki ba yon?' But no. It's Jack Danielle Animam, so for sure, we want her," Espaldon said.

While there are both short-term and long-term goals for Animam's stint in the US, her camp is taking it one day at a time. They are even open to taking her talent to other parts of the world, like Europe, if ever an opportunity opens up.

"I'm just taking it one step at a time, just focusing on getting better, improving on the things that I'm lacking pa," Jack said.

Coach Pat added: "She's been a leader for the last how many years with NU, and now, she's matured already, and ready to get to the next level. We hope that would be the WNBA or any other. [For now,] I just know it's gonna be historical again."

One step at a time, like Jack says. But always a step forward.

https://www.spin.ph/life/people/jack-an ... 2-20210522

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:36 pm 

magaling nga yan. me isa pang matangkad din na morena.

sa 3X3 ko yan napanood.

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 am 
Heavyweight

Jack Animam signs with Serbian club Radnicki Kragujevac

by RANDOLPH B. LEONGSON
10 HOURS AGO

JACK Animam is taking her talents to Europe after signing with Radnicki Kragujevac in Serbia.

It's the newest chapter in the career of the 6-foot-2 banger from Malolos, Bulacan as she tests her mettle in the First Women's Basketball League of Serbia.

Animam and her handlers East West Private made the announcement official on Monday evening.

A double gold medal winner in the 30th Southeast Asian Games, she has tested the waters overseas, first in Taiwan, where she led Shih Hsin University to the University Basketball Association (UBA) crown, and in the United States in the Atlanta Entertainment Basketball League (AEBL).

She has been an integral part of the National University's historic 96-0 run as the Lady Bulldogs claimed their sixth straight UAAP title, as well as Gilas Pilipinas Women's ascension in the Level I of Fiba Asia.

Radnicki finished at eighth place in the 2020-21 season after amassing a 7-15 win-loss record.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 am 
Heavyweight

Aquino hopes Animam's Serbian stint opens world to Pinay ballers

by RANDOLPH B. LEONGSON
10 HOURS AGO

FROM a distance, coach Pat Aquino is just beaming with pride seeing Jack Animam continue to spread her wings abroad.

"I'm just very proud of Jack. She continues to make us proud and of course, lalo na ngayon. What she's doing is big for women's basketball here in our country," the Gilas Pilipinas Women and concurrent National University coach told Spin.ph.

Jack Animam in Serbia

Animam is set to embark on a new venture as she takes her act to Serbia and plays for Radnicki Kragujevac in the First Women's Basketball League of Serbia.

For Aquino, this move only bodes well for Animam's overall development especially as she'll be subjected to superior competition there in Europe.

"Syempre she's going to play in one of the best basketball countries in the world, so yung talent na makakalaban niya doon will only help her na ma-improve pa lalo yung galing niya and it's something she can bring back here sa atin and share to our local players para tumaas lalo yung level of play ng mga babae dito," he said.

The 6-foot-2 Animam hasn't been shy in seizing the opportunities that come her way.

After helping the Lady Bulldogs in their unbeatable 96-0 streak to close her UAAP career and winning double gold medals for Gilas Women in the 30th Southeast Asian Games back in 2019, the Bulakenya banger tried her luck overseas and continued to brandish her wares.

She averaged 17.1 points, on top of a league-best 14.1 rebounds, to go with 2.6 steals, 1.9 blocks, and 1.3 assists as she led Shih Hsin University to an immaculate 18-0 run to the crown in the University Basketball Association (UBA) in Taiwan.

Animam also strut her stuff in the United States, tallying 23 points, 10 rebounds, two steals, and an assist in a game during her stint in the Atlanta Entertainment Basketball League (AEBL).

The Serbia trip may be a new venture for Animam, but just like in her past forays, she'll be ready to make the most of her chances.

"She is so focused and she really wants to prove herself more to the Filipino people, na hindi lang yung men ang kaya magpakitang gilas sa ibang bansa but also the women," said Aquino.

The mentor also hopes that Animam's campaign in Europe would lead to more opportunities for Filipina ballers, who have long been considered as viable imports in the Southeast Asian region and some even in the Middle East.

"I believe that this is just the start. And I hope na the other countries can see what kind of talent we have also here in our country," he said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:10 am 
Heavyweight

Jack Animam excited to play 'European brand of basketball' in Serbia
Published August 23, 2021, 10:21 PM

by Kristel Satumbaga-Villar

Jack Animam is taking her young career to the next level when she signs with Radnicki Kragujevac in the first Women’s Basketball League of Serbia.

Animam and her handlers, East West Private, made the announcement Monday night and added that the 6-foot-5 center is scheduled to leave from the United States to Serbia on Friday.

Her contract would run until March 2022.

“I’m really excited for this move because everyday that I’m training, I’m doing it not only for myself but also for the little girls in the Philippines who also wanted to excel in basketball in the international level,” said Animam in an online press briefing.

This would be Animam’s third overseas stint after having played in the Shih Hsin University en route to winning the title in the University Basketball Association in Chinese Taipei and the Zone 6 Celtics in the Atlanta Entertainment Basketball League in the United States.

Pat Aquino, Animam’s collegiate coach in National University, also shared his excitement for her stalwart’s latest endeavor.

“She’s the face of Philippine women’s basketball now. We’re just proud of what she has achieved. Hopefully more (Filipina basketball players) would follow her,” Aquino said.

The 22-year-old Animam boasts of winning two gold medals in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games as members of the 5×5 and 3×3 basketball team. She has won five UAAP titles in her collegiate year highlighted by a Conference Most Valuable Player in 2017 and Finals MVP plum in 2018.

She was also a member of the UAAP Mythical Team from 2016 to 2019.

Animam said she is excited to expand her skills and knowledge in basketball with her new team.

“There’s so much to learn from the European brand of basketball. We know that Serbia is one of the best basketball countries in the world. I really wanted to learn more about the game, keep improving and push myself to the limit,” the Bulacan native said.

In return, Animam said she would showcase her defensive skills.

“I’m more of a defensive player. I’m going to bring it to the team,” she said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:45 pm 

6'5 pala si Animam..

me isa pa magaling din..

si Hayes ata.. morena din mga 6'0 lang pala yun ..

yung 5'8 Bernardino magaling din talaga mag laro kaya pang WPBA lang sana kung meron.. :D

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:22 pm 
Heavyweight

WNBA player gives advice to Serbia-bound Animam: 'Know your role'
Luisa Morales - Philstar.com
August 24, 2021 | 1:20pm

MANILA, Philippines — Serbia-bound Jack Animam has been exposed to some top-caliber coaches and mentors in her months-long stay in the US as she pursues a professional career overseas.

And one of them was former Chicago Sky and Dallas Wings player Imani McGee-Stafford.

Now, as the National University alumna is headed to Europe for her first-ever pro stint, McGee-Stafford had some key advice for her mentee out of Bulacan.

"The biggest adice is finding out what [your team] needs from you and doing it consistently well," said McGee-Stafford, who is also the sister of three-time NBA champion JaVale McGee.

"Likely [Jack's] role will be very large in Serbia, so [her] role might be to be the best scorer, the best defender, the best rebounder every day. But it also might just be to be the best rebounder and best teammate, you know?" she added.

Being familiar with what the team needs from you on a daily basis, and what you can offer them, the 2016 WNBA All-Rookie Team member says, will be the key for Animam to reach even greater heights than she has today.

"Figuring out what you can consistently do every day and being consistent at it — that's how you get great, that's how you become a great player," she said.

After ruling the collegiate scene with an undefeated record and six championships, Animam is set to strut her stuff in Europe with Serbia's Radnicki Kragujevac in the First Women's Basketball League.

And knowing just how skillful the Pinay is, Radnicki's coaching staff already expects her to do great things with the club.

"We hope Jack will be our leader on and off the court. We are very happy to have her in the team. Hope she could bring that double-double here," said coach Nenad Milovanovic.

The Gilas Pilipinas women's mainstay is expected to fly out of the US to Serbia on Friday (Saturday, Manila time), her contract with Radnicki will go through until March next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Kayang mag WNBA nito, magaling na player... :beer: :) :D