Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 pm 
Heavyweight

BY EFREN L. DANAO

Even before he could file his candidacy for president, “Gibo” Teodoro had already been written off by some commentators as politically dead. The most common criticism was that his endorsement by President Gloria Arroyo and Lakas-Kampi was a virtual kiss of death. Well, it looks like we are seeing the “resurrection” of the politically dead Gibo, based on his resurgence in the latest polls.

Some cynics might say that if Gibo is not yet politically dead, he will soon be. May 2010. Uhuh! Some months back, I would have supported those views, but not today. I am not yet prepared to shovel dirt at him. Bury his candidacy, I won’t. In politics, five months is almost an eternity and many things could still happen.

So, to those who were shaking their heads that a brilliant man like Gibo was bound to lose in May 2010, I say stop it or you might pull a neck muscle.

Certainly, Gibo still has to do a lot of spadework to catch up with frontrunners Noynoy Aquino of the Liberal Party, Manny Villar of the Nacionalista Party, and Erap Estrada of the Puwersa ng Masang Pilipino.

The lead of Noynoy over the rest, which seemed insurmountable two or three months ago, is slowly being eroded. Gibo had made impressive gains, and if he does the correct moves, he could still inch upward.

He gained a lot of believers in televised debates. I personally admire his show of support for the Mangundadatus of Sultan Kudarat against the Ampatuans, whom he ousted from Lakas-Kampi. I share his views for the amendment of the Constitution and, lately, his description of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) as a “systemic failure.” He is the very first candidate to air this view and I must commend his grit in coming out with such a controversial comment.

The 1987 Constitution called for the establishment of the ARMM supposedly as antidote to secessionism and to hasten the region’s development. Republic Act 9054, or the ARMM Charter, provides that the autonomous region “shall remain an integral and inseparable part of the national territory of the Republic.”

The “autonomous region” presents logistical and administrative nightmare, as it is composed of Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi which are not compact and contiguous.

I placed “autonomous region” in quotes because in actuality, local officials outside of the regional government do not enjoy autonomy. Provincial governors there have less power than provincial governors outside the ARMM. The power of the purse, of appointments even to provincial positions, are all lodged in the ARMM governor. I have heard a number of provincial governors in the ARMM expressing their envy of their colleagues outside the region who enjoy more autonomy.

But what I find most distressing about the ARMM is that it has failed to uplift the impoverished region despite the infusion of billions of pesos each year.

“We cannot allow the taxpayers to subsidize the operation of an institution that is clearly not working,” Gibo said. I say amen to that.

Abject poverty
The only spots of affluence in the autonomous region are the mansions of powerful politicians who most probably used ARMM funds for the buildings. Many ARMM officials maintain posh offices in Metro Manila.

There have been many questionable cases of ghost and overpriced projects but none has come out of these.

Oh yes, there have been government audits of the ARMM funds, but as one official said, “How can there be an honest audit under the barrel of a gun?” No wonder, the bicameral conference committee has placed a collatilla in the 2010 budget that there would be no releases of the second tranche of the ARMM budget unless the first one has been liquidated. And where will the auditing be done? In Manila, the bicam report said, not in the ARMM where an honest-to-goodness auditing could be hazardous to an auditor’s health.

Fast work on the budget
Speaking of the 2010 budget, I must commend the House and the Senate for ensuring its approval before January 1, the start of the fiscal year. Since 2001, no new budget had been implemented on Day One of the fiscal year. The previous budget was implemented for a number of months before Congress could hammer out a final version. The 2010 budget is the sole exception, and this was accomplished despite the holding of joint session on martial law.

Special mention should be given to the senators, particularly Senators Edgardo Angara, Joker Arroyo, Miriam Defensor Santiago, and Gringo Honasan for their diligence in sponsoring the measure. Consider the hard work they spent: They deliberate on the budget in the morning before attending the joint session on martial law in the afternoon up to late evening. How’s that to end the year?

medyo my kaba na ang mga kalaban ni GIBO dito :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:54 am 
Middleweight

pang ilan na ba si gibo sa latest poll?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:05 am 
Welterweight

he just started campaigning he will be up the top 3 by February

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:21 am 
Heavyweight

cutt3rpillar wrote:

Gaya pa rin ng dati....Kulelat!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:37 am 
Heavyweight

sa ngayon sa mga internet users palang nag papakita si Gibo, hinde pa kasi nagstart ang campaign period
by February, unti unti siya makikilala sa populace na wala man lang internet access , by April or even earlier he will be neck and neck with Noynoy and Villar :lol:

:D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:29 am 
Heavyweight

bakit naman "resurrection" of gibo..?? di ba mataas naman ratings niya sa fesbuk..?? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 am 
Middleweight

keywizard74 wrote:
cutt3rpillar wrote:

Gaya pa rin ng dati....Kulelat!! :lol:

ganon ba? kala ko naman tumaas na at "nabuhay" na daw siya :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:56 am 
Heavyweight

dan44 wrote:
sa ngayon sa mga internet users palang nag papakita si Gibo, hinde pa kasi nagstart ang campaign period
by February, unti unti siya makikilala sa populace na wala man lang internet access , by April or even earlier he will be neck and neck with Noynoy and Villar :lol:

honga naman..!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 am 
Heavyweight

Ramrod wrote:
dan44 wrote:

Madami internet cafe kahit sa mga kanto ng squatters area.
Lahat naman ng kandidato,hindi pa nagfu-fullblast sa arangkada ng kani- kanyang kampanya.

Tsaka...Ano na naman neck and neck......nakagat ka ba ng neknik sa neck mo :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 pm 
Welterweight

I do have my reservations about Mr. Teodoro and I know he tried to distance himself away from the President, and if he does win and Charter Change does happen, somebody out there might influence him to put our current sitting President back to where she belong. :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:24 pm 
Middleweight

dan44 wrote:

para palang multo si gibo.."nagpapakita" sa mga internet users lang :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am 
Heavyweight

cutt3rpillar wrote:
dan44 wrote:

pagnagkataon....magiging presidente si gibo ng mga internet users sa buong bansa... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:12 pm 
Heavyweight

cutt3rpillar wrote:
dan44 wrote:

."para palang multo si gibo. nagpapakita" sa mga internet users lang :lol:

kaya ko mullats ??? my bad ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: joke joke joke...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:47 pm 
Light Heavyweight

cutt3rpillar wrote:
dan44 wrote:

Parang yung Horror movie pala na The Ring ito......

Ikaw na nagbabasa....oo ikaw...imaginin mo na lalabas na si Bigo sa screen ng computer mo....magpapakita na sia...ayan na....takbo.....ayan naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
patutsky wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
dan44 wrote:

Madami internet cafe kahit sa mga kanto ng squatters area.
Lahat naman ng kandidato,hindi pa nagfu-fullblast sa arangkada ng kani- kanyang kampanya.

Tsaka...Ano na naman neck and neck......nakagat ka ba ng neknik sa neck mo :lol:
Full blast, overdrive na si Villar at Noy. Gibo is still organizing.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain