Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Risa Hontiveros Baraquel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 am 
Middleweight

By Miriam Grace A. Go
Newsbreak Assistant Managing Editor

ANA THERESIA “RISA” HONTIVEROS (NOW Baraquel) refused to join her Ateneo schoolmates when they went to welcome Ninoy Aquino at the Manila International Airport on Aug. 21, 1983. It wasn’t political apathy or ignorance on her part. Active in various cause-oriented groups since high school, the then-17-year-old Social Science student doubted the exiled senator’s commitment to the anti-Marcos struggle.
“He didn’t fight beside us. He is just another politician,” she remembers telling her colleagues at the university student council.

But when she got a call that afternoon “that somebody killed him,” Risa knew that she had found the biggest challenge to her own involvement in fighting the dictatorship. “If they could kill the opposition leader just like that, they could do something worse to us.”

By the time the Marcos government made a mockery of the 1986 snap election, Risa thought her generation was done with being mere “boycott and noise barrage kids.” (At 12, she banged pots and pans during that nationwide in-your-own-backyard protest against the wholesale fraud in the 1978 Interim Batasang Pambansa election.)

When defense chief Juan Ponce Enrile admitted that they had defrauded Ninoy Aquino’s widow in the polls and announced his break with Marcos, Risa and the rest of the Ateneo student council monitored the news, solicited food from private subdivisions and brought them to rallyists on EDSA.

It was on February 24, the second to the last day of protests, that Risa joined the crowd on EDSA—then with a cadet who she would later marry. “All those years, my parents talked to us about martial law and its abuses, about how we (she and five siblings) should be involved one way or another.”

“It was exhilarating…the experience that we could embody an opposition to the dictator without resorting to violence,” she recalls. That’s the lesson of EDSA that she intends to keep: “That there’s a place and value to opposing without violence even when your opponents are using violence against you.”

Between then and now, she became a newscaster and host of various TV talk shows for 15 years, got married, had four children now aged four to 13, sat on the government panel in the peace negotiations with the Left, got elected party-list representative of Akbayan, and was recently widowed. But never did she disengage herself from the movement.

In 1986, she expected reforms in the military and in the prevailing brand of party politics. But little has changed.

One reason is that “many of the promises of EDSA were abandoned” by the new government because Corazon Aquino was “cacique rin pala.” However, she does not diminish Aquino’s role: “She was the rallying figure. At that time, she symbolized everything that we and the various groups before us had fought for.”

Would she like another EDSA to happen? “Yes!” she turns excited. “But I don’t think it will happen in just one geographical area, probably not even in EDSA anymore. But I would want another EDSA in the sense of [having] enlightened civilians saying, “Enough.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 pm 
Heavyweight

aleks3 wrote:
By Miriam Grace A. Go
Newsbreak Assistant Managing Editor

ANA THERESIA “RISA” HONTIVEROS (NOW Baraquel) refused to join her Ateneo schoolmates when they went to welcome Ninoy Aquino at the Manila International Airport on Aug. 21, 1983. It wasn’t political apathy or ignorance on her part. Active in various cause-oriented groups since high school, the then-17-year-old Social Science student doubted the exiled senator’s commitment to the anti-Marcos struggle.
“He didn’t fight beside us. He is just another politician,” she remembers telling her colleagues at the university student council.

But when she got a call that afternoon “that somebody killed him,” Risa knew that she had found the biggest challenge to her own involvement in fighting the dictatorship. “If they could kill the opposition leader just like that, they could do something worse to us.”

By the time the Marcos government made a mockery of the 1986 snap election, Risa thought her generation was done with being mere “boycott and noise barrage kids.” (At 12, she banged pots and pans during that nationwide in-your-own-backyard protest against the wholesale fraud in the 1978 Interim Batasang Pambansa election.)

When defense chief Juan Ponce Enrile admitted that they had defrauded Ninoy Aquino’s widow in the polls and announced his break with Marcos, Risa and the rest of the Ateneo student council monitored the news, solicited food from private subdivisions and brought them to rallyists on EDSA.

It was on February 24, the second to the last day of protests, that Risa joined the crowd on EDSA—then with a cadet who she would later marry. “All those years, my parents talked to us about martial law and its abuses, about how we (she and five siblings) should be involved one way or another.”

“It was exhilarating…the experience that we could embody an opposition to the dictator without resorting to violence,” she recalls. That’s the lesson of EDSA that she intends to keep: “That there’s a place and value to opposing without violence even when your opponents are using violence against you.”

Between then and now, she became a newscaster and host of various TV talk shows for 15 years, got married, had four children now aged four to 13, sat on the government panel in the peace negotiations with the Left, got elected party-list representative of Akbayan, and was recently widowed. But never did she disengage herself from the movement.

In 1986, she expected reforms in the military and in the prevailing brand of party politics. But little has changed.

One reason is that “many of the promises of EDSA were abandoned” by the new government because Corazon Aquino was “cacique rin pala.” However, she does not diminish Aquino’s role: “She was the rallying figure. At that time, she symbolized everything that we and the various groups before us had fought for.”

Would she like another EDSA to happen? “Yes!” she turns excited. “But I don’t think it will happen in just one geographical area, probably not even in EDSA anymore. But I would want another EDSA in the sense of [having] enlightened civilians saying, “Enough.”

Easy to say!!!! Enoooouuugggghhhh!!!!!!!But enough of who?? of what?? :?: We cannot even agree to unite! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:38 pm 
Middleweight

Very true bro, how can the Filipinos change for the better if they cannot even unite on simple issues. Most of the personalities now in the opposition are strange bedfellows. A mix of right, center and left. Some are already in the opposition since the time of Marcos up to now. What have they done for the country? Nothing, except to look after their vested interests. What a shame. Even CORY should just keep her mouth shut. I look at her as part of the problem not part of the solution. They were already given the opportunity to lead the country but they squandered it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:14 pm 
Light Heavyweight

don't get me wrong, but she is a hottie :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:59 am 

aymnatskerd wrote:

Biga-on! :biglaugh: (Translation: I agree) :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Beawolf Agatte wrote:
Very true bro, how can the Filipinos change for the better if they cannot even unite on simple issues. Most of the personalities now in the opposition are strange bedfellows. A mix of right, center and left. Some are already in the opposition since the time of Marcos up to now. What have they done for the country? Nothing, except to look after their vested interests. What a shame. Even CORY should just keep her mouth shut. I look at her as part of the problem not part of the solution. They were already given the opportunity to lead the country but they squandered it.

Welcome to Philippine Politics!!

Did you know that before the 86 revolution came up, it was not jus Marcos’ party vs. Aquino’s?? Remember there was LABAN, UNIDO, LP, etc. Those guys had different stands also, they expressed support for cory only when EDSA started … During cory’s, FVR’s so on and so forth there were also a lot of parties in the picture and with different stands… It’ll never change…

Soon as we learn to fly, watch out you damn birds we takin the skies!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:13 pm 
Welterweight

she's a cute face with no brains. Where do you find people earning 100+k salaries to act stupid. only in the media

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:23 am 
Lightweight

bisdak wrote:
aymnatskerd wrote:

ALL her sisters are hottie... PIA...woowwwwoowwwweeeeee!

Risa is available, "I think"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:11 pm 
Heavyweight

tsinoy wrote:
bisdak wrote:
aymnatskerd wrote:

ALL her sisters are hottie... PIA...woowwwwoowwwweeeeee!

Risa is available, "I think"...

no shyt Risa is hot and so is her sister Pia, both are mestisahin ladies....by the way, does Pia still work for ABS-CBN? I didn't see her at all at channel 2 while I was back home last november.

- Statement of President Noynoy Aquino on appointing Boy Abunda in his cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:10 pm 
Lightweight

Philippine left-wing lawmaker Risa Hontiveros Baraque (L) is drag by a police officer during a protest in conjunction with the International Women's Day in Manila March 8, 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 am 
Cruiserweight

She looks angry here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:38 am 
Cruiserweight

bisdak wrote:
aymnatskerd wrote:

Can someone please tell us how to become a left-wing member ? :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:04 am 
Lightweight

http://www.womenwagingpeace.net/content/members/hontiverosbaraquel.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:58 am 
Heavyweight

Don Pedro wrote:

She looks angry here...

Holy Shyt does she look angry or what?!?!? I just saw the footage on TV PATROL of her getting arrested by the cops.

- Statement of President Noynoy Aquino on appointing Boy Abunda in his cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:12 am 
Heavyweight

fil79 wrote:
Don Pedro wrote:

She looks angry here...

Holy Shyt does she look angry or what?!?!? I just saw the footage on TV PATROL of her getting arrested by the cops.

Yikes, kaibigan ko yung police officer na nag-arresto sa kanya sa picture. :biglaugh: Hahahahaha, pareng Eddie, pogi ka pa rin. Hahahahaha :biglaugh: