Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:07 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am
Posts: 3218
Location: Little Boy in Hiroshima
hmm..












sipsip :lol:

_________________
Fat Man in Nagasaki


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 27825
Location: Southeast Asia
Number 1 ulit tayo sa survey madam... :D

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 am 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am
Posts: 3218
Location: Little Boy in Hiroshima
Villar, Poe still on top of latest Pulse Asia senatorial poll
Published April 30, 2019 12:47pm
Updated April 30, 2019 7:35pm
By ANNA FELICIA BAJO, GMA News

GMA News wrote:
Reelectionist senators Cynthia Villar and Grace Poe continued to dominate the senatorial survey conducted by Pulse Asia, the result of the poll showed on Tuesday.

Villar secured the top spot with 51.7 percent of the respondents favoring her while Poe landed on the second spot with the support of 50.5%.

They were followed by former Senator Lito Lapid who got 45.7%; Taguig City Representative Pia Cayetano with 43.9%; former Special Assistant to the President Christopher "Bong" Go with 40.8%, and Senator Juan Edgardo Angara with 40.4%.

According to Pulse Asia, former Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. and former Bureau of Corrections chief Ronald Dela Rosa ranked fifth to ninth places with 38.1% and 36.7%, respectively.

The two were followed by Senator Nancy Binay, 36.2%; Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III, 31.8%; and Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos, 29.6%.

Former Senator Jinggoy Estrada and Senator Paolo Benigno "Bam" Aquino are statistically tied for the 10th to 14th places with 28.8%, while Senator JV Ejercito was at 10th to 16th places with 28.15% of support.

Villar expressed elation over the result of the survey: "Ako po ay nagpapasalamat sa kanila, marahil nagugustuhan nila akong iboto dahil nagugustuhan nila 'yung mga proyekto kong tinatayo para sa hanapbuhay."

In separate statements, Senators Poe, Pimentel and Aquino welcomed the result of the latest survey.

Poe thanked Filipinos who continue to trust her: "Bagamat wala akong partido, nananatili pa rin tayo sa isip ng marami. Patuloy pa rin ang ating pag-iikot at paglalahad ng plataporma para sa ikabubuti ng ating bayan."

Pimentel, meanwhile, said: "I am happy that those surveyed are aware of my qualifications for the position, remember the things I have accomplished, and have become aware of the good plans I have for our beloved country."

Aquino, for his part, expressed gratitude to the people, especially to the volunteers, for their trust and confidence that serve as his inspiration during the campaign.

"Nagpapasalamat po ako dahil dumarami ang naniniwala, nakikiisa at tumutugon. Salamat po sa mga matatapang at matitiyagang tumutulong sa atin na laging buo ang loob at walang pagod," Aquino said.

Ejercito, for his part, said "hard work is already paying off."

"People starting to appreciate the work that we have done specially the Universal Healthcare Law and creation of Department of Human Settlements. Electorate slowly appreciating those candidates with good performance and clean track record," Ejercito said.

Otso Diretso’s campaign manager Senator Francis Pangilinan, on the other hand, remained optimistic for their senatorial bets to win the May elections despite poor performance in the survey.

“Nakita natin may mga pangyayari na sa huling dalawang linggo ng eleksyon, 'yung mga nasa labas ng top 12, pagdating ng araw ng halalan ay come from behind ika nga at naipapanalo nila. Surprise victory ika nga,” Pangilinan said in an interview on GMA News’ News To Go on Tuesday.

Only Aquino from Otso Diretso was included in the top senatorial bets in the Pulse Asia survey.

“Sabi nga nila ang pinakamahalagang survey ay 'yung araw ng halalan,” Pangilinan added.

Previously, former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas of the Otso Diretso made it to the Top 12 in the election polls. However in the latest Pulse Asia survey, he only placed 14th to 17th.

Caloocan City Representative Edgar Erice, Roxas' campaign manager, blamed his drop from the list on his absence from campaigning when he flew to the United States to be with his wife, Korina Sanchez, and their newborn twins.

"It must be noted that the Pulse Asia survey was conducted last April 10-14, 2019, a little over a week after Mar arrived from the US who was away from campaigning for 10 days," Erice said in a statement.

Erice said they will beef up their campaign to convince more voters to choose Roxas on election day.

Meanwhile, despite not reaching the Top 12, Makabayan senatorial candidate Neri Colmenares said he is happy with his rank in the latest election survey.

"This shows that our people are considering candidates not only on the basis of popularity or name recall but on more important criteria, like track record, platforms, and one's stand and actions on the burning issues of the day," he said.

"I expect my numbers to pick up dramatically in the next two weeks," he added.

The result of the survey indicated that 35% of registered Filipino voters are showing support for 12 senatorial candidates.

The survey was conducted from April 10 to 14 through face-to-face interviews. Based on a multistage probability sample of 1,800 likely voters 18-years-old and above, Pulse Asia's nationwide survey has a ± 2.3% error margin at the 95% confidence level.

The Pulse Asia noted that during the period the survey was conducted, pressing issues such as the killing of 14 farmers in Negros Oriental, continuous tension in the West Philippine Sea, rotational brownouts in Luzon, and seizure of cocaine bricks in the eastern seaboard of the country, preoccupied the minds of Filipinos.

In the last Pulse Asia survey, Villar and Poe also were the top favorites though the latter was ahead of the former in the ratings. —With a report from Joviland Rita/MDM/RSJ/KG

_________________
Fat Man in Nagasaki


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 am
Posts: 28709
Location: JARO,Iloilo
Beware: Poe is Secret candidate by The Yellow oligarch,Rappler,INQ,Abs Cbn with the support of CIA she will be a USA CIA back Presidential Candidate in 2022

Bookmark this :lol:

_________________
Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others He who envies others does not achieve peace. - Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:58 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 27825
Location: Southeast Asia
dan44 wrote:
Beware: Poe is Secret candidate by The Yellow oligarch,Rappler,INQ,Abs Cbn with the support of CIA she will be a USA CIA back Presidential Candidate in 2022

Bookmark this :lol:

:shock:
This is ok with me..
Poe will run this country better than Digong...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 am
Posts: 28709
Location: JARO,Iloilo
He well serve the interest of his puppet master, of course his puppet master well not allow as to progress so that it can hold our throat forever.


uto uto rin ang boboto kay POE, I like Digong because of his independent foreign Policy :)

_________________
Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others He who envies others does not achieve peace. - Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:30 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 27825
Location: Southeast Asia
dan44 wrote:
He well serve the interest of his puppet master, of course his puppet master well not allow as to progress so that it can hold our throat forever.


uto uto rin ang boboto kay POE, I like Digong because of his independent foreign Policy :)


Uto-uto ka pala kaya HE ang tawag mo kay Grace...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:21 pm
Posts: 53043
Location: CAPIZ
JABEZJ wrote:
dan44 wrote:
He well serve the interest of his puppet master, of course his puppet master well not allow as to progress so that it can hold our throat forever.


uto uto rin ang boboto kay POE, I like Digong because of his independent foreign Policy :)


Uto-uto ka pala kaya HE ang tawag mo kay Grace...


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
::: LAKERS LOYALIST #24 ::: ::::: WAGONERSSS S@CK :::::


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 1242
Location: Lawang Bato
JABEZJ wrote:
dan44 wrote:
He well serve the interest of his puppet master, of course his puppet master well not allow as to progress so that it can hold our throat forever.


uto uto rin ang boboto kay POE, I like Digong because of his independent foreign Policy :)


Uto-uto ka pala kaya HE ang tawag mo kay Grace...


Baka naman Her Excellency ibig sabihin ni dan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Boss....san ba C.R. dito???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 11143
Grace Poe’s tragedy and triumphs
By: Richard Heydarian - @inquirerdotnet Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:05 AM August 13, 2019



“Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides,” the late former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher warned.

For “The Iron Lady,” leadership was a matter of conviction politics — pushing your policy priorities to their preferred destination at all costs, regardless of the magnitude of obstacles and depth of objections. Despite vehement opposition, Thatcher oversaw the vitiation of the social welfare system, the aggressive deregulation of the economy and financial liberalization at the expense of the manufacturing sector.

She was a woman of unparalleled conviction and steely will, confidently disparaging middle-of-the-road political posturing, especially in times of tortuous upheaval and excruciating transition. Yet her single-minded style of leadership also brought about tremendous suffering, especially among the working class, while weakening the foundations of the British economy in the long run.

In short, “political will” and a linear style of leadership is a double-edged sword. Winston Churchill may have rightly utilized conviction politics during the darkest hours of Nazi ascendancy, but there are many other cases of decisive leaders wreaking misery and pain on their helpless citizens with such leadership. Think of the horrors brought about by Joseph Stalin’s or Mao Zedong’s rule as the most potent expression of the inherent dangers of the single-minded, unchecked and hubristic exercise of power. As I have always argued, for every tempered authoritarian like Lee Kuan Yew, I can cite a dozen Mugabes and Gadhafis who ravenously enslaved and recklessly ruined their nations.

And this is where the value of centrists such as Grace Poe lies. In times when an authoritarian populist is ruling with whimsical fiat and arbitrary relish, tempered and calibrated leadership can at times serve as a radical break from the status quo.

Poe is at once among the most appreciated and underappreciated political figures of our times. Back in 2016, she was cumulatively the most preferred candidate, if one were to combine the first and second preferences of voters. And, far from an empty shell, she dominated the presidential debates with a commendable mixture of accessible delivery and substantive depth.

Were she not sabotaged by her rivals on a highly questionable citizenship issue, there would have been a clear path for the daughter to accomplish what her father didn’t back in 2004.


Despite lacking machinery and expressly refusing to bandwagon with the ruling administration, Poe still managed to almost top the Senate race once again this year. Were it not for the “solid south” phenomenon, with an organized Mindanao systematically voting down independents like Poe, she would have likely ranked first.

At the same time, her greatest tragedy is the almost willful lack of appreciation by certain sectors of society, especially those who prefer either left-leaning or right-leaning conviction politics. For instance, few progressives appreciated the fact that she actually called for the regulation of fake news, a dangerous move in our current information ecosystem. Instead, they focused on her supposed schmoozing with notorious proregime online propagandists.

Poe was also among the leading senators who consistently raised the alarm bells over President Duterte’s China policy. She took up the cudgels on the potentially adverse national security implications of the entry of China Telecom, the prospective purchase of Hanjin by Chinese companies, and the untrammeled influx of illegal Chinese workers into the country.

Few also appreciated the fact that she was one of but two senators (along with Nancy Binay) who refused to fall into the fist-bump bandwagon during her inauguration. In times of shameless co-optation and unbounded opportunism, these were radical acts.

Even fewer appreciated her consistent call for easing our traffic crisis through calibrated (rather than carte blanche) emergency powers. For her, you need sufficient internal safeguards against abuse, while giving the administration enough leeway to institute urgent reforms.

Similar to California senator and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris, Poe appears to believe in concrete, gradual and meaningful change rather than grand exhortations and ideological battles. By choosing her battles carefully, she seems to be working toward creating the best possible impact within her limited time in office — what may be called the Grace Poe doctrine.

This way, she avoids the trap of what philosopher Slavoj Zizek aptly termed as “principled opportunism”: Self-righteously taking the high road, while avoiding the tough, dirty and difficult job of helping ordinary people on a daily basis.



https://opinion.inquirer.net/123266/gra ... d-triumphs

_________________
------------------ BNSP lurker ----------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 11143
Traffic? ‘No to emergency powers’
By Butch Fernandez - August 14, 2019


GRANTING President Duterte emergency powers is not the solution to crippling daily traffic gridlocks in metropolitan Manila’s main thoroughfares, Sen. Grace Poe said Tuesday, after presiding at a Senate hearing on a planned provincial bus ban among other measures being eyed to ease road congestion.

“The problem is lack of understanding,” said Poe, pointing out that “right-of-way issues and temporary restraining orders cannot be covered by the emergency powers.”

Speaking to reporters after the hearing, Poe conceded, “we cannot do everything with it [emergency powers],” adding that “maybe” the proponents of the emergency-powers option, whom she did not name, “just want no bidding” for projects to ease traffic problems.

Still, Poe—who chairs the Committee on Public Services—said she was not closing the door on such an option but wanted to see the plans for projects to be carried out under emergency powers. “We are open but submit the plans for the emergency powers.”


Drive vs ‘colorum’

This, as Senate President Vicente Sotto III and Minority Leader Franklin Drilon, in separate interviews, suggested that government regulators step up the drive against “colorum,” referring to unfranchised public bus and jeepneys, plying Metro Manila streets.

Drilon also suggested a review of the powers of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority “as far as traffic is concerned,” pointing out that conflicting claims of MMDA and local governments “hamstrung efforts” to ease the traffic mess.

For his part, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian voiced doubts that plans to build four “intermodal bus terminals” could reduce traffic “instead of just limiting buses” to the metropolis boundaries. “Do we have a simulation for that?” he asked the guest officials.

Senate Majority Floor Leader Juan Miguel “Migz” Zubiri pushed for the construction of elevated walkways and bike lanes along Edsa.

Zubiri pressed the MMDA on “the elevated walkway project that has long been budgeted for by the national government and even included in the General Appropriations Act. I see no clear logical reason why it was not implemented. Compared to other infrastructure projects where Right-of-Way issues usually cause delays, this project will not be met with much opposition since government owns the land. We will have to talk only with the public utility companies, which I doubt would oppose this particular public-friendly project.”

Zubiri’s proposal was supported by the representatives of ALT and MOVE Manila, an alternative transport advocacy and commuters groups, respectively.

“Last week, commuters did the best of the ‘carmageddon’ situation by walking instead of waiting for four hours inside buses in a standstill in Edsa. I myself would have done that, walked to get home. That crisis is what I precisely hoped to resolve way back in August 2016 in my ‘Inclusive Mobility speech.” Zubiri first spoke of the concept of Inclusive Mobility in the Senate in his first privilege speech upon assumption in the Senate in 2016.

Zubiri cited other countries’ successful use of elevated walkways with lanes for walking, biking and even mopeds in the entire Metro Manila up to Parañaque.

He also proposed the use of Pasig River as a major mode of transportation.


‘3 years of our lives’

Speaking at the start of the hearing of the Senate Committee on Public Services, Poe acknowledged that “a specter is haunting Mega Manila—the specter of traffic [that] takes away our time—28,000 hours, or around three years of our lives, in fact.”

At the outset, she lamented that MMDA has turned Metro Manilans as “guinea pigs” for traffic solutions for years now.

“In 2015, they said the “chokepoints” at Edsa were the cause [of traffic jams]. Three years after, they tried the singles-only ban–which only moved traffic to the secondary roads,” the senator said, in a mix of English and Filipino.

She recalled an earlier attempt to “put Edsa on a ‘road diet’—as a solution for a highway that is bloated by traffic. And since the 1980s, every possible variation of the number-coding scheme has been tried. Ironically, this only resulted in drivers buying ‘coding cars,’ or extra vehicles for use on a ‘coding day’. This is a textbook example of a perverse incentive.”

Poe pointed out that the banning of provincial buses along Edsa is the latest MMDA experiment.

“The plan hinges on three steps: First, ‘interim terminals’ would be established, and provincial bus stations within the city would be abolished. Second, provincial buses would be required to terminate their trips at the integrated terminals. Third, city buses would only be allowed to drive on the yellow lanes. These plans were achieved through various issuances from 2012 to the present,” the senator said, adding, “It sounds like a good plan until we actually get to the facts.”

She then cited these facts:

“First, buses and jeeps account for 70 percent of all trips in Mega Manila. Unduly reducing these vehicles without providing for other modes of mass transportation will only result in longer queues and shorter patience.”

Second, she added, “there are 247,000 private vehicles in the region, maybe even more and these take up 80 percent of the roads. So the sheer volume of vehicles is an intrinsic part of the traffic problem.”

In fact, Poe added, even MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia has been quoted as saying: “‘The provincial bus accounts for just a small percentage of the cause of traffic. I think that’s only about 5 percent of the total traffic.”

The third fact, which Poe cited as the most important, is this: “Encouraging private vehicles has never been a good transport policy. A bus can carry 50 people; a car carries 5; and the jeep, 12. Banning over 3,000 provincial buses will result in 15,000 additional cars passing on Edsa,” said Poe.

She noted that “ignorance of these facts was evident in the results”: The buses may be seen clustered and barely moving on the yellow lane, while private vehicles zip through the highway. What used to be a commute via bus from Commonwealth Market to Ortigas of one and a half hours, has stretched to three and a half hours. Some people just chose to walk. Others looked for alternatives like the MRT, where the lines were blockbusters; or they took a Grab or habal-habal which of course cost them more.”

Poe continued: And here’s the rub: Due to the writ of preliminary injunction issued by a branch of the Quezon City RTC, the bus ban was implemented on a ‘voluntary’ basis. A mere 24 out 3,300 buses ‘volunteered’ in good faith,” the senator said, adding, “And at the end of the day, they went back to traveling straight to Manila because there were no passengers in Valenzuela and Sta. Rosa,” where the integrated terminals were located.

Poe disputed the claim that only drivers of buses exhibit a “lack of discipline,” adding, “it is equally true that many drivers of cars, buses, and jeepneys are equally undisciplined. Let those who have never swerved, used the wrong lane, or forgot to use their signal light cast the first stone.”

She expressed hope the hearing would clarify a lot of issues and allow for a better means of consultations with and by the MMDA.



https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/08/1 ... cy-powers/

_________________
------------------ BNSP lurker ----------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:57 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 11143
go grace poe for 2022!




















:D







:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
------------------ BNSP lurker ----------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am
Posts: 3218
Location: Little Boy in Hiroshima
'tadong Heypanotian to :banghead:


I was starting to give this guy some measure of respect after watching his debate with Rogado Sasot, how he willingly went into the lion's den and actually made reasonably good points, without catering to the opposition scripts too much...


tapos eto na naman at nagpapagamit sa CIA / US Embassy machinations ang kumag :?


tiyanak2 wrote:
Grace Poe’s tragedy and triumphs
By: Richard Heydarian - @inquirerdotnet Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:05 AM August 13, 2019



“Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides,” the late former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher warned.

For “The Iron Lady,” leadership was a matter of conviction politics — pushing your policy priorities to their preferred destination at all costs, regardless of the magnitude of obstacles and depth of objections. Despite vehement opposition, Thatcher oversaw the vitiation of the social welfare system, the aggressive deregulation of the economy and financial liberalization at the expense of the manufacturing sector.

She was a woman of unparalleled conviction and steely will, confidently disparaging middle-of-the-road political posturing, especially in times of tortuous upheaval and excruciating transition. Yet her single-minded style of leadership also brought about tremendous suffering, especially among the working class, while weakening the foundations of the British economy in the long run.

In short, “political will” and a linear style of leadership is a double-edged sword. Winston Churchill may have rightly utilized conviction politics during the darkest hours of Nazi ascendancy, but there are many other cases of decisive leaders wreaking misery and pain on their helpless citizens with such leadership. Think of the horrors brought about by Joseph Stalin’s or Mao Zedong’s rule as the most potent expression of the inherent dangers of the single-minded, unchecked and hubristic exercise of power. As I have always argued, for every tempered authoritarian like Lee Kuan Yew, I can cite a dozen Mugabes and Gadhafis who ravenously enslaved and recklessly ruined their nations.

And this is where the value of centrists such as Grace Poe lies. In times when an authoritarian populist is ruling with whimsical fiat and arbitrary relish, tempered and calibrated leadership can at times serve as a radical break from the status quo.

Poe is at once among the most appreciated and underappreciated political figures of our times. Back in 2016, she was cumulatively the most preferred candidate, if one were to combine the first and second preferences of voters. And, far from an empty shell, she dominated the presidential debates with a commendable mixture of accessible delivery and substantive depth.

Were she not sabotaged by her rivals on a highly questionable citizenship issue, there would have been a clear path for the daughter to accomplish what her father didn’t back in 2004.


Despite lacking machinery and expressly refusing to bandwagon with the ruling administration, Poe still managed to almost top the Senate race once again this year. Were it not for the “solid south” phenomenon, with an organized Mindanao systematically voting down independents like Poe, she would have likely ranked first.

At the same time, her greatest tragedy is the almost willful lack of appreciation by certain sectors of society, especially those who prefer either left-leaning or right-leaning conviction politics. For instance, few progressives appreciated the fact that she actually called for the regulation of fake news, a dangerous move in our current information ecosystem. Instead, they focused on her supposed schmoozing with notorious proregime online propagandists.

Poe was also among the leading senators who consistently raised the alarm bells over President Duterte’s China policy. She took up the cudgels on the potentially adverse national security implications of the entry of China Telecom, the prospective purchase of Hanjin by Chinese companies, and the untrammeled influx of illegal Chinese workers into the country.

Few also appreciated the fact that she was one of but two senators (along with Nancy Binay) who refused to fall into the fist-bump bandwagon during her inauguration. In times of shameless co-optation and unbounded opportunism, these were radical acts.

Even fewer appreciated her consistent call for easing our traffic crisis through calibrated (rather than carte blanche) emergency powers. For her, you need sufficient internal safeguards against abuse, while giving the administration enough leeway to institute urgent reforms.

Similar to California senator and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris, Poe appears to believe in concrete, gradual and meaningful change rather than grand exhortations and ideological battles. By choosing her battles carefully, she seems to be working toward creating the best possible impact within her limited time in office — what may be called the Grace Poe doctrine.

This way, she avoids the trap of what philosopher Slavoj Zizek aptly termed as “principled opportunism”: Self-righteously taking the high road, while avoiding the tough, dirty and difficult job of helping ordinary people on a daily basis.



https://opinion.inquirer.net/123266/gra ... d-triumphs

_________________
Fat Man in Nagasaki


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am
Posts: 27825
Location: Southeast Asia
The.Equalizer wrote:
'tadong Heypanotian to :banghead:


I was starting to give this guy some measure of respect after watching his debate with Rogado Sasot, how he willingly went into the lion's den and actually made reasonably good points, without catering to the opposition scripts too much...


tapos eto na naman at nagpapagamit sa CIA / US Embassy machinations ang kumag :?


tiyanak2 wrote:
Grace Poe’s tragedy and triumphs
By: Richard Heydarian - @inquirerdotnet Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:05 AM August 13, 2019



“Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides,” the late former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher warned.

For “The Iron Lady,” leadership was a matter of conviction politics — pushing your policy priorities to their preferred destination at all costs, regardless of the magnitude of obstacles and depth of objections. Despite vehement opposition, Thatcher oversaw the vitiation of the social welfare system, the aggressive deregulation of the economy and financial liberalization at the expense of the manufacturing sector.

She was a woman of unparalleled conviction and steely will, confidently disparaging middle-of-the-road political posturing, especially in times of tortuous upheaval and excruciating transition. Yet her single-minded style of leadership also brought about tremendous suffering, especially among the working class, while weakening the foundations of the British economy in the long run.

In short, “political will” and a linear style of leadership is a double-edged sword. Winston Churchill may have rightly utilized conviction politics during the darkest hours of Nazi ascendancy, but there are many other cases of decisive leaders wreaking misery and pain on their helpless citizens with such leadership. Think of the horrors brought about by Joseph Stalin’s or Mao Zedong’s rule as the most potent expression of the inherent dangers of the single-minded, unchecked and hubristic exercise of power. As I have always argued, for every tempered authoritarian like Lee Kuan Yew, I can cite a dozen Mugabes and Gadhafis who ravenously enslaved and recklessly ruined their nations.

And this is where the value of centrists such as Grace Poe lies. In times when an authoritarian populist is ruling with whimsical fiat and arbitrary relish, tempered and calibrated leadership can at times serve as a radical break from the status quo.

Poe is at once among the most appreciated and underappreciated political figures of our times. Back in 2016, she was cumulatively the most preferred candidate, if one were to combine the first and second preferences of voters. And, far from an empty shell, she dominated the presidential debates with a commendable mixture of accessible delivery and substantive depth.

Were she not sabotaged by her rivals on a highly questionable citizenship issue, there would have been a clear path for the daughter to accomplish what her father didn’t back in 2004.


Despite lacking machinery and expressly refusing to bandwagon with the ruling administration, Poe still managed to almost top the Senate race once again this year. Were it not for the “solid south” phenomenon, with an organized Mindanao systematically voting down independents like Poe, she would have likely ranked first.

At the same time, her greatest tragedy is the almost willful lack of appreciation by certain sectors of society, especially those who prefer either left-leaning or right-leaning conviction politics. For instance, few progressives appreciated the fact that she actually called for the regulation of fake news, a dangerous move in our current information ecosystem. Instead, they focused on her supposed schmoozing with notorious proregime online propagandists.

Poe was also among the leading senators who consistently raised the alarm bells over President Duterte’s China policy. She took up the cudgels on the potentially adverse national security implications of the entry of China Telecom, the prospective purchase of Hanjin by Chinese companies, and the untrammeled influx of illegal Chinese workers into the country.

Few also appreciated the fact that she was one of but two senators (along with Nancy Binay) who refused to fall into the fist-bump bandwagon during her inauguration. In times of shameless co-optation and unbounded opportunism, these were radical acts.

Even fewer appreciated her consistent call for easing our traffic crisis through calibrated (rather than carte blanche) emergency powers. For her, you need sufficient internal safeguards against abuse, while giving the administration enough leeway to institute urgent reforms.

Similar to California senator and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris, Poe appears to believe in concrete, gradual and meaningful change rather than grand exhortations and ideological battles. By choosing her battles carefully, she seems to be working toward creating the best possible impact within her limited time in office — what may be called the Grace Poe doctrine.

This way, she avoids the trap of what philosopher Slavoj Zizek aptly termed as “principled opportunism”: Self-righteously taking the high road, while avoiding the tough, dirty and difficult job of helping ordinary people on a daily basis.



https://opinion.inquirer.net/123266/gra ... d-triumphs


Thank you D1ck for that nice piece for Grace Poe...

_________________
“YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW A MYSTERY, AND TODAY
A GIFT…THAT’S WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT “.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 11143
Mang Jabz... Dami mung manok sa 2022 ah...


Sarah, Isko, Lenni, at Grace?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
------------------ BNSP lurker ----------------


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group