Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

Tour guide Carlos Celdran nabbed for interrupting mass
abs-cbnNEWS.com
Posted at 09/30/2010 6:00 PM | Updated as of 09/30/2010 6:00 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Artist and performer Carlos Celdran was apprehended by police for interrupting the middle of a homily at the Manila Cathedral Thursday afternoon.

Quoting witnesses, Senior Police Officer 2 Ernesto Andres, Jr. said Celdran used a placard containing the name “Damaso” and held it up in the middle of the mass.

He was also supposedly shouting “bakit mahihirap lang pinagbabawalan sa family planning.”

Damaso is a character in Jose Rizal’s Noli Me Tangere. Damaso is described as a powerful friar who wields his power to get what he wants.

Damaso is 1 of the most notorious characters in the novel, which touches on the abuses of the Spanish friars during the 19th century.

Celdran is supposedly supporting the pro-choice debate, an issue that has been plaguing the Catholic Church.

Catholic bishops have criticized President Benigno Aquino III for saying that his administration will promote both natural and artificial methods of family planning. At least one bishop said Aquino could be excommunicated.

Andres said Celdran was wearing a “Charlie Chaplin costume.” He could be referring to Rizal.

Celdran, known for his Intramuros tour guides, was supposedly quoted previously saying: “Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries.”

The police are still waiting if the parish will file a complaint.

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro ... pting-mass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:21 pm 
Cruiserweight

Tour guide Carlos Celdran detained for protesting inside church
PIA FAUSTINO, GMANews.TV
09/30/2010 | 06:14 PM

Manila tour guide Carlos Celdran was detained by Manila police on Thursday for disrupting a mass at the Manila Cathedral, where he staged a protest action against the church's opposition to the reproductive health bill.

At around 4:50 p.m. Thursday, Celdran wrote on his Twitter account that he "is in police station of parian in intramuros in front of lyceum." Celdran is a reproductive health advocate.

During a mass attended by Mayor Alfredo Lim and several members of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines, Celdran said he went to the front of the altar dressed as Dr. Jose Rizal and held up a placard that read "Damaso" -- a reference to the villainous friar from the novel "Noli Me Tangere."

He screamed "Stop getting involved in politics" before he was taken away by the police.

Dressed as Jose Rizal, Celdran stood in front of the Manila Cathedral altar during a mass, holding a sign bearing the words "Damaso."
Photo courtesy of MARIZ UMALI

Aside from running popular walking tours of Manila's historical spots, Celdran is also a vocal advocate of the Reproductive Health Bill. He has used his blog, Facebook account, and Twitter account to criticize the Catholic church for its stance against artificial contraceptives and sex education.

Police said it was Mayor Lim who ordered that Celdran be taken into police custody.

"Nandoon si Mayor Lim sa misa eh. Nilapitan siya ng pari. Ang nagmimisa doon, sundalo at mga police. Kinuha (si Celdran) ng mga pulis na nakikinig ng misa," said SPO2 Ernesto Andres, desk officer of the PCP Intramuros.

Andres said they would hold Celdran for up to six hours, while waiting for the CBCP or the Manila Cathedral to decide whether it will press charges against Celdran.

"Sa ngayon, wala pang naisasampang kaso," said Andres.

In a telephone interview, Celdran told GMANews.TV that the police were treating him well. "I think I got them on my side, because I told them the reason why I did this," he added.

"The fact the police are in semi-agreement of my cause, although they cannot do anything about it, shows how much people want the RH bill to be passed and how much the church should stop getting involved in politics and stop threatening the president," he added.

At around 6:00 p.m., Andres said a representative of the Manila Cathedral called the police station. "Ire-reprimand siya. Patatawarin," he said.

Celdran was transferred to the police community precinct in Ermita later. "Doon sila maga-areglo," Andres said.

CBCP legal counsel Atty. Jo Imbong said she had not heard about the incident and could not yet comment on whether the CBCP planned to file charges.

Last Tuesday, President Aquino announced that he would continue to support responsible parenthood and informed choice in family planning.

"Even during the [the presidential] campaign the president already stated his position on the matter. It's more of responsible parenthood. We believe that parents should be the one to decide on the size of their family, the manner and the method by which the planning should be done," said presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda.

In response, Catholic bishops threatened to stage protests if the reproductive health bill is passed into law.
- YA, GMANews.TV

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/202328/tour ... ide-church

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm 
Cruiserweight

good luck sa mga ipinaglalaban ni ginoong carlos celdran!
sana ay maging ganito rin ang pananaw ni pangulong noynoy sa isyu ng reproductive health bill!

good luck ulit kay mr. celdran!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Tama lang yang ginawa nya.

Kung sino pa kasi yung naghihirap sa buhay, sila pa yung napakarami ang anak.
Di masamang magkaroon ng madaming anak, ang masama ay kung di maibigay sa anak yung pangangailangan nila dahil sa sobrang dami ng anak.
Palibahasa di sila yung naghihirap.
Kapag lumaki ang anak nila kundi mahirap din, alang trabaho o tambay.

KUPAL ANG KOKONTRA SA AKIN!
PUTANGINA NYO!

BOYCOTT CHINA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm 

That's my hero right there! :D

Screw Damaso!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 am 
Heavyweight

Yeah, down with the Damasos!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 am 

don robert wrote:

HOIST! Kung magsalita ka akala mo di ka na educate ng mga Salesians ah! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 am 
Heavyweight

DaBizz wrote:
don robert wrote:

HOIST! Kung magsalita ka akala mo di ka na educate ng mga Salesians ah! :lol:

Ikaw rin naman, Mod. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 am 
Heavyweight

Daring but educated demonstration of protest!

Idol kita Carlos Celdran!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 am 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Carlos Celdran btw was a staunch Gibo supporter. He's very principled man...... like me. :biglaugh:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:38 am 
Heavyweight

Kaya di tayo umuunlad ang Bayan sa paurong na aral ng mga Obispong mga yan!
Kung hindi sana ipinapasa sa Gobyerno ang Lingap ng mga unwanted children ay susuporta pa ko sa kanila

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 am 
Heavyweight

patutsky wrote:
Kaya di tayo umuunlad ang Bayan sa paurong na aral ng mga Obispong mga yan!
Kung hindi sana ipinapasa sa Gobyerno ang Lingap ng mga unwanted children ay susuporta pa ko sa kanila

hindi lang mga obispo. lahat ng namumuno sa lahat ng mga sekta sekta. lalo na yung mga mukhang psycho. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:03 am 
Heavyweight

I-excommunicate din yan.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Tama lang na ikunulong yang si Celdran na yan. Para kasing walang pinagaralan. Walang modo. Bastos!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Kasalanan ito ni PNoy.. :lol: