Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Fake News Politics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:27 am 
Heavyweight

Philippine President No. 1 Source of Fake News, Journalist Tells Senate Inquiry
Felipe Villamor
Manila
2018-01-30

Jover Laurio, a Filipina blogger behind the popular Pinoy Ako blog, speaks before a Philippine Senate hearing about fake news in Manila, Jan. 30, 2018.
Felipe Villamor/BenarNews

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte spewed most of the fake news in the country, a veteran journalist alleged Tuesday during a Senate committee probing the proliferation of propaganda and deliberate spread of misinformation online.

Ellen Tordesillas, a longtime newspaper columnist who founded the nonprofit website Vera Files, claimed that her independent online news portal had been fact-checking Duterte’s statements and found that much of what the Philippine leader said in public speeches was false.

“The number one source of fake news is President Duterte himself,” Tordesillas told a Senate hearing on fake news.

Duterte's chief spokesman, Martin Andanar, who also testified at the hearing, rejected Tordesillas’ allegation. He invited the journalist to the presidential palace to discuss the topic further, but Tordesillas urged Andanar to check her website, which lists alleged falsehoods from Duterte.

“Fake news are lies concocted to deceive the public,” she said. “They confuse the people and disempower them from making informed decisions.”

“In the hands of malevolent forces, it can inflict enormous harm to the people and to the country,” Tordesillas said.

She warned the lawmakers against coming up with legislation that would “undermine freedom of expression” and accused unnamed government officials of using taxpayers’ money to spread disinformation.

During his testimony, Andanar touched on the issue of enacting legislation to guard against fake news.

“While we understand that it is the prerogative of the legislature to enact new laws or amend existing ones, we humbly offer the proposition that in such cases, fake news be clearly defined with the assurance that the basic constitutional right to free speech and expression will not be curtailed,” he said.

Sen. Grace Poe, who chaired Tuesday’s hearing, emphasized that bloggers had the right to criticize but not to “misinform.”

“Opinions passed off as news are as deadly as lies,” she said, as she vowed to subpoena the Philippine representatives of Facebook and search engine Google to explore the roles played by social media giants in the distribution of fake stories.

“With fake news threatening our daily realities, I believe that legislative solutions exist,” she said, as she agreed with Tordesillas, who recommended a social media literacy campaign, especially one targeting young Filipinos.

“We need to look into setting parameters for official government platforms, so that these can’t be used as tools of hateful propaganda and misinformation,” Poe said.

World’s social-networking capital

A recent study released by Universal McCann, a New York-based advertising agency, described the Philippines as “the social-networking capital of the world” with almost 83 percent of 103 million Filipinos claiming to have social-media accounts.

Since he took power in June 2016, Duterte has turned social media platforms such as Facebook into a tool, where his social-media handlers, backed by their army of supporters and followers, defend the popular 74-year-old leader.

The “trolls” have become so effective that those who criticize the president or have opposing views become targets of vicious online threats, media analysts say.

Those who have methodically attacked Duterte’s opponents have become so popular that the president had appointed one of them, Mocha Uson, as an assistant secretary in the presidential media office.

Uson, a blogger known for posting her “sexy” dance videos on social media, has more than five million followers on Facebook and was appointed precisely for this reason, Andanar told the Senate hearing.

But Andanar said he had told Uson to separate her public persona from her official functions as a government official.

Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar (center) joins other officials during a Philippine Senate hearing on fake news, Jan. 30, 2018, in Manila. [Felipe Villamor/BenarNews]

Media crackdown

The Senate held the hearing after Philippine media groups came together to denounce what they had described as a crackdown on the country’s free press, following the government’s closure-order two weeks ago against Rappler, an online news platform.

The order caused an uproar, with various media groups in the Philippines and in Asia, as well as the independent Philippine Commission on Human Rights, criticizing the move as an apparent attempt to muzzle the press.

The government has denied the allegation and said the closure order was slapped by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) because Rappler had violated a constitutional provision calling for all Philippine-based media companies to be owned by Filipinos.

Officials said Rappler had issued Philippine depository receipts (PDRs) allowing two U.S.-based groups to hold shares in the firm.

Rappler has protested the corporate regulator’s decision, saying that issuing PDRs did not mean that the American groups – the U.S.-based Omidyar Network and North Base Media – were allowed to dictate the website’s editorial policies. The website remains open while the order is on appeal.

Blogger: ‘My life is at risk’

At Monday’s hearing, Senator Poe explained that it was convened after Jover Laurio, a previously unknown law student, revealed that she was behind the popular anti-Duterte Pinoy Ako Blog.

Laurio, 38, has emerged as one of Duterte’s most-popular critics online by using easily understood, street language in debunking wrong information peddled by pro-Duterte trolls. She now has about 130,000 unique online followers, and has become a strong voice for the opposition by correcting what she calls “distortion” of truths.

“This is not the time to be quiet. Our countrymen are dying every day. Fake news is everywhere from FB, YouTube, fake blog sites, from government officials,” Laurio testified on Tuesday. “Those criticizing the government are subjected to fake news – the women, politicians who disagree with the government, and the media, and the church.”

She said she would continue to debunk fake news and offer commentaries through her blog despite online threats against her.

“Even after I decided to come out, I had to still deal with death threats and hate messages every day,” she said. “It is difficult for an ordinary person like me. I am not protected by anyone. My life is at risk.”

https://www.benarnews.org/english/news/philippine/philippines-duterte-01302018165911.html

Post subject: Re: Fake News Politics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 am 
Heavyweight

Palace exec tags VP Robredo as one of ‘purveyors’ of fake news
By: Maila Ager - Reporter / @MAgerINQ
INQUIRER.net / 02:47 PM January 30, 2018

A Palace official has branded Vice President Leni Robredo as “one of the primary purveyors” of fake news and President Rodrigo Duterte as a “bigger victim” of it than the vice president.

“Just to make it clear that misinformation, lies and all these misleadings do not come exclusively form the Duterte camp. Neither do they come from just officials that are identified with the government,” Communications Undersecretary Lorraine Marie T. Badoy said during the hearing of the Senate committee on public information and mass media.
badoy

PCOO Usec. Lorraine Marie Badoy. INQUIRER.net / CATHY MIRANDA

“In fact, the Vice President is one of the primary purveyors of fake news and that the President is maybe an even bigger victim than she is,” Badoy added.

Asked by Senator Grace Poe, chair of the committee, to qualify her statement against the Vice President, Badoy pointed to Robredo’s earlier remark where she supposedly painted “a gloomy picture” of the country when she spoke before an international audience .

At that time, Badoy said, an unprecedented number of Filipinos, 98 percent, were reportedly “very helpful.”

“And this is an international audience that she peddles and spread these lies about,” the Palace official said.

To this, Poe said: “Well, that’s her (Robredo) opinion and I guess the numbers will speak for itself as you said.”

Badoy later qualified that her statement about Robredo was her “personal opinion.”

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/964789/le ... z55mRL7IYG
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:34 am 
Heavyweight

Robredo camp: Badoy’s appointment reflects kind of work at PCOO
By: Julliane Love De Jesus - Reporter / @JLDejesusINQ
INQUIRER.net / 11:04 AM January 31, 2018
Barry Gutierrez

Atty. Barry Gutierrez INQUIRER.net file photo / JULLIANE LOVE DE JESUS

The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo hit back at Communications Undersecretary Lorraine Badoy after the latter tagged Robredo as “one of the primary purveyors of fake news” when she allegedly painted “a gloomy picture” of the country before an international audience regarding extrajudicial killings.

Atty. Barry Gutierrez, legal adviser of Robredo, said with the appointment of Badoy at the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO), the public can visualize what kind of work is going on at the Palace communications department.

“That this person is now in Presidential Communications Operations Office, though, is a very clear indicator of the kind of work it focuses on these days,” Gutierrez said in a statement on Wednesday.

During the hearing of the Senate committee on public information and mass media on Tuesday, Badoy branded Robredo as a fake news purveyor and that President Rodrigo Duterte was a “bigger victim” of it than the vice president.

Gutierrez also said Badoy is not a credible person to talk about “fake news.”

“If this is the Lorraine Badoy who insisted that a high school class project was an ‘LP publication,’ and, when corrected, refused to accept her mistake and tried to bully Jillian Robredo and her high school classmates, then I hardly think she is the most credible person to talk about ‘fake news,’” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez was referring to Badoy’s viral Facebook post last December 2016 when she mistook the younger Robredo’s school project as an official Liberal Party magazine.

Jillian’s groupmates later came in to her defense and corrected Badoy through a Facebook comment on the Palace official’s post.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/965024/rob ... z55mSvBHie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 am 
Heavyweight

[The beef behind Lorraine Badoy with Leni Robredo]

Lorraine Badoy: The Bully

I just want to repost how Lorraine Badoy bullied Jillian Robredo.

Last December 16, 2016, eto po si Lorraine Badoy ay nagpost na iniintriga ang project ni Jillian Robredo. To think schoolmate ng anak niya si Jillian ha. She posted this.

Ang magazine project ng bata inintriga niya funded by LP. Pero nang malaman niya na she was wrong nilait pa niya lalo si Jillian na dapat malaman nang bata kung ano ang heroism daw at kasi para kay Jillian hero si VP Leni.

That Christmas of 2016 is full of hatred from Lorraine Badoy. Pero alam niyo kung sino nagtanggol kay Jillian Robredo yung groupmate mismo ni Jillian sa project.

Basahin niyo po and you will see na mas may respeto pa ang bata kaysa ka Dr. Lorraine Badoy.

Quote:
A COMMENT OF JILLIAN’S CLASSMATE AND GROUPMATE TO LORRAINE BADOY’S POST

“Hi, tita Lorraine! I hope this doesn’t get lost in the sea of comments haha. I just came back from a 12-hour drive from Sagada. There, I enjoyed 4 days of offline bliss – I hardly ever checked my phone. The first thing I heard of when logging back on was news of this post. Apparently my Filipino project was being shared and criticized by hundreds of people, and the original post was by no other than you, tita. Yes, I was part of the small group that produced this ‘Bayani’ magazine. In fact, I designed it, chose the cover photo, and even gave it its now infamous name.

I’m not one who regularly engages in political discussions online – there are others who are far more articulate and well-versed on the subject – but I felt involved in this. It is, after all, my project, my beliefs, and my school you are criticizing.

Before anything else, I want to let you know of my respect and admiration for you; I want to thank you.

Thank you for being outspoken and never failing to lend your voice to those who would have not otherwise been heard without it. Thank you for refusing to be silent and always fighting for what you believe is just. Your countless posts on FB alone are enough to inspire me to fight just as passionately for what I believe in.
Thank you for loving our country with a burning passion, and refusing to settle for anything but the best for it.
Thank you for raising one of the friends I hold dearest. I admire him just as much and learn from him every chance I get.

The project was given to us with several pages of technical instruction. They were particular with font size, spacing, page numbers, sources, etc. When it came to subject matter, however, we were free to choose whatever we wanted. Our group of five wanted a subject we were passionate about; something we felt was worth writing about. So we chose to write about current political issues in the country. In effect, the project reflects the opinion of only five students – the school itself had nothing to do with the production of this magazine or the opinions found in its contents.

In the eyes of my group, VP Robredo is worthy of the title ‘hero’. You and I may not share the same sentiment, and that’s alright. On behalf of my group, I assure you that our faith in the VP was not placed there by someone else. Not by our parents, not by Jillian, and certainly not by Pisay. Each of us is well-informed of VP Robredo’s achievements and success stories, of her imperfections and shortcomings. We don’t dare call her a god, and we are not blind to her flaws. We’ve done our own research and carefully dissected the information gathered. At the end of it all, our faith is still with her. I’m sure you’ve gone through the same process with our president and have come to a similar conclusion.

We believe that every decision she has made up to this point has been with the betterment of our country in mind. She is without ulterior motives. She has fought against the odds multiple times – in fact, she continues to do so. That, to us, is a hero: one who sacrifices and perseveres in the name of the Filipino people.

It might be an argument that though the school had no direct influence on this project, its general teachings are biased towards the LP. No such generalization should be made. Pisay is one of the most politically aware and politically diverse youth communities I know of. I have classmates who have fiercely opposing views on the same issues, schoolmates who do not subscribe to the same sociopolitical beliefs as some teachers, yet we treat each other with no less respect.

No, I don’t share the same political beliefs as all of my peers, but that’s one of the reasons why my stay in Pisay is so enriching. We are continuously challenging each other’s opinions – political discourse on my Twitter feed is not a rare sight.

I admit that before high school, my views of the government were skewed. I unquestioningly copied the beliefs of my family. Entering Pisay has changed that. All opinions are welcome, and if a student happens to have a divergent one, all the more are they encouraged to share it.

This school project was done as an act of hope and was shared to the public in a moment of pride. Please don’t twist it into an act of hatred and manipulation.

I also felt it was necessary to comment because of the large following you have gathered and the influence it has. If your opinion was shared, our side of the story needs to be heard by the public as well. Social media posts can be so powerful, it becomes dangerous. I hope many see this comment and become more informed on the issue. Having now heard both sides, maybe both sides can refrain from harsh unnecessary comments and form reasonable opinions on the matter for themselves.

My respect and admiration for you has by no means diminished. I still look up to you very much, tita, and I hope that the way you see me has not been tainted because of our opposing views.

Respectfully yours. :)

Yung bully na doctor nalecturan ng isang highschool student.

So wag na tayong magtaka kung bakit basura lumalabas sa bibig niya, kaya nga niyang mambully ng bata eh, adult pa kaya?

https://pinoyakoblog.com/blog/lorraine-badoy-bully/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 am 
Heavyweight

Responding to Badoy is just a waste of time—Robredo
INQUIRER.net / 01:54 PM January 31, 2018
Vice President Leni Robredo

Vice President Leni Robredo (File photo from INQUIRER.net )

Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday said she would not waste her time responding to critics calling her “fake news purveyor.”

Communications Undersecretary Lorraine Badoy, during a Senate hearing on Tuesday, said Robredo was “one of the primary purveyors of fake news” when she allegedly painted “a gloomy picture” of the country before an international audience regarding extrajudicial killings.

“Hindi ko na siya [Badoy] pag-aaksayahan ng oras. Mas maraming mahalagang issues na dapat tayong [pag]tuunan,” Robredo said in a chance interview during her visit in Naga City.

(I will not waste my time on her. We have a lot of important issues to address.)

“Hindi na ako mag-aaksaya ng oras sa mga hindi dapat pag-aksayahan ng oras,” she said.

(I will not waste my time on things that are far less important.)

Robredo then shifted the topic to her present advocacy to help the people currenty being affected by the eruption of Mayon volcano.

The Vice President called on the public to send donations to areas near Mayon volcano, where hundreds have been evacuated amid episodes of various volcanic disturbances.

Before Robredo issued a statement, Atty. Barry Gutierrez, legal adviser of Robredo, earlier said that with the appointment of Badoy at the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO), the public can visualize what kind of work is going on at the Palace communications department.

“That this person is now in Presidential Communications Operations Office, though, is a very clear indicator of the kind of work it focuses on these days,” Gutierrez said.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/965072/res ... z55mVhiWpA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 am 
Heavyweight

sa ikauunlad ng bayan, fake news ang kailangan. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am 
Heavyweight

sabi nga ni mam vp leni di ko pagaaksayahan ng panahon si badoy magsesemento nalang ako madami pa matatapos na pader at wala na kaming tym ni mr bigote :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

two heads are better than one ...i have two heads so it means i am better....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 am 
Heavyweight

https://www.facebook.com/womenforleni/photos/a.436630829868581.1073741828.430929753772022/463487057182958/?type=3&theater

Balimbing... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:02 am 
Heavyweight

dilawan thread! :biglaugh:

sa panahon ng daang matuwad, walang fake news promise :biglaugh:

::: LAKERS LOYALIST #24 ::: ::::: WAGONERSSS S@CK :::::

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 am 
Heavyweight

Matagal nang uso ang fake news DR...
Sina Aguinaldo at Quezon pa ang kandidato sa pagka Pangulo may fake news na...
Si Meldy may nude pics yan nung naglaban sina Macapagal at Macoy...

Nauso lang ang tag na yan ngayon pero that's not new when it comes to pilitics...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am 
Heavyweight

` idols..

:smoke: -+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am 
Heavyweight

Ang pwede nilang gawin sa iba di pwedeng gawin sa kanila.

In short, pikon talo. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 am 
Heavyweight

yung feeling na binubully ka dahil ikaw ay isang engot.. tas magsumbong ka sa titser mo at yung nang bully pa ang kinampihan... sakit nun..

kaya intindihin naman natin sila..

#iyak pa more..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Poe denies eyeing Facebook ban in PH
SHE TAGS AS ‘FAKE NEWS’ THE STORIES, ‘SPLICED’ VIDEO CIRCULATING ONLINE CLAIMING SHE WANTS FACEBOOK BANNED
INQUIRER.net / 12:42 PM February 01, 2018

Senator Grace Poe has denied erroneous articles spreading online that she was allegedly proposing to prohibit Facebook in the Philippines.

“Iyan ang fake news. Hindi totoo ‘yan. First of all, that’s counterproductive… Mali. ‘Yun talaga ang disinformation,” Poe said in a television interview on Thursday.

Pro-administration pages on Facebook had been sharing stories alleging that Poe wanted to ban the famous social networking platform in the country.

But Poe clarified that the video that was being circulated was only “spliced” to make it appear that she wanted to forbid Facebook use.

“Yung mga lumabas [sa social media], syempre hindi natin pipigilan. Ako mismo nasa Facebook, yung mga anak ko nasa Facebook, marami sa ating mga kababayan ang kumukuha ng balita mula sa Facebook,” Poe said.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/965321/poe ... z55pXDAB22

================= SAMPLE NG MGA "PRO-DUTERTE SITES" Spreading Fake News As Mentioned By Grace Poe ==================

SHOCKING: Grace Poe Wants Facebook To Be Banned In The Ph Like In China
Tunay Na Pagbabago
1 day ago

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Grace Poe wants a probe into social networking site Facebook’s guidelines, following reports that posts about a draft compromise agreement with the Marcoses was taken down.

“The posts were eventually restored, the same reports said. Prior to this, some posts of netizens also dealing with controversial issues were also reportedly removed from the platform for allegedly not complying with Facebook’s ‘community standards,’” said Poe in a statement.

Poe was referring to a post, originally by Gang Badoy Capati, about an apparent draft agreement between the government and the Marcos heirs, where some of their wealth would be returned to government.

http://www.tunaynapagbabago.info/2018/01/shocking-grace-poe-wants-facebook-to-be.html

Message to Grace Poe From Michael Conlan on Banning Facebook on the Philippines
President Duterte TV

http://www.dutertetv.com/2018/01/message-to-grace-poe-from-michael.html?spref=fb

Sen. Grace Poe, gustong ipa-block ang Facebook sa Pilipinas?
DUTERTE PRESS

Sen. Grace Poe probably thought about deleting Facebook accounts in the Philippines and if not block the Facebook all the way. But, how about millions of Filipinos who already had these accounts?
https://duterte.press/post/xfu8gk6119/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 pm 
Heavyweight

sarap talaga pag me evidence... :biglaugh: