Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:33 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: The Trillanes myth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
The Trillanes myth

By Solita Collas-Monsod
Inquirer
Last updated 08:46pm (Mla time) 08/03/2007

I AGREE wholeheartedly with the July 25 order of RTC Judge Oscar B. Pimentel denying the request of Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV--currently detained in the Marine brig for the non-bailable capital crime of coup d'etat--to be allowed certain privileges.

The reader will remember the Oakwood "Mutiny," where 300 uniformed military officers and men led by Trillanes, among others, marched from Dasmariñas Village in Makati to the Oakwood service apartments building, armed with automatic rifles and other firearms, equipped with communications equipment and bombs (that they placed around the building, where they also set up sniper nests at the towers). The mutineers took over the apartments, allowing its residents to leave, and for the next few hours--or so it seemed to all of us watching the unfolding drama--waited for reinforcements (both civilian and military which was presumably what the communications equipment was for) and which, thank the good Lord, failed to appear.

The junior officers were left to their own devices by the masterminds who obviously got a severe case of cold feet. The furthest the officers got in their plot was to call for the resignation of the President and then Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes, as well as Col. Victor Corpus, chief of Intelligence at the time. (Why they included an incorrupt colonel when they were screaming about corruption is explained by the fact that Corpus was going hammer and tongs after Sen. Panfilo Lacson, another mistah, at the time.)

The long and the short of it is that the "mutiny" failed.

A lot of people were sympathetic (I was not one of them), congratulating these junior officers for their idealism and their principles. Idealism and principles, my foot! They brought their subordinates with them in total disregard of their welfare; and as we are seeing now, the officers involved, all under detention (although a few escaped and were recaptured), seem to be lying through their teeth to get out of the fix they put themselves in.

To read their "demurrers," it would seem that they are trying to convince Judge Pimentel that there was never any coup attempt. Just a group innocently going out for a walk along Ayala Avenue. Carrying sidearms meant nothing, because soldiers always carry arms. Taking over Oakwood, putting sniper nests, loading it with bombs and setting up sophisticated communications equipment could have been just standard operating procedure in preparation for calling the President to resign, and calling attention to the corruption in the military.

Judge Pimentel didn't buy their story (in another order dated July 27, 2007). Neither should we.

Idealists? Principled? What I see are people who don't even have the courage of their convictions. If I remember correctly, Trillanes and his co-officers even publicly apologized to President Macapagal-Arroyo (this was before he became a senatorial candidate, after which he started calling her names again. Such bravery).

Back to Trillanes: Having won a senatorial seat, he then requested Pimentel to be allowed the following privileges: attending all Senate functions from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Monday to Thursday, receiving members of the media every Tuesday and Friday, converting part of his detention area into a fully equipped and staffed office, airing his views and comments, again to media, while he is in the Senate premises. According to him, these are not special privileges; they are just needed, for him to exercise his senatorial duties. In fact, it would seem that given his new status, he is doing Pimentel a favor by acknowledging the judge's jurisdiction, because he had other alternatives. I kid you not.

The Pimentel order quotes liberally from the Supreme Court decision on the Jalosjos case, from which, because of space constraints, I can only choose two (with my comments).

"Allowing accused-appellant to attend congressional sessions and committee meetings for five (5) days or more in a week will virtually make him a free man with all the privileges appurtenant to his position. Such an aberrant situation not only elevates accused-appellant's status to that of a special class, it also would be a mockery of the purposes of the correction system."

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

"The Court cannot validate badges of inequality. The necessities imposed by public welfare may justify the exercise of government authority to regulate, even if thereby certain groups may plausibly assert that their interests are disregarded."

Eighty-five million Filipinos trump 11 million voters (not even half of the total number) any time.

I don't know Judge Pimentel personally. But asking around, I found that: He teaches criminal law (Ateneo Law School); he runs a tight court; He is fair; he is "matapang" (tough); And he likes to drink.

He is going to need all of this (except the drinking) as he tries the case. Already a Trilla

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

Post subject: Re: The Trillanes myth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Kudos to Judge Pimentel! He should be commended for standing his ground, his bravery, and fairness. We need firm and fair judges like him.

Trillanes, ano ka siniswerte? :lol:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:01 pm 
Welterweight

I think Trillanes didnt apologize to PGMA contrary to what you have quoted from the Inquirer.
i think we need to update and correct our wrong information.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:09 pm 
Heavyweight

bripenet wrote:
I think Trillanes didnt apologize to PGMA contrary to what you have quoted from the Inquirer.

i seconded this one...

Trillanes and Faeldon didn't apologize to tita glow :D

...that's the reason why 11 million plus real filipino voters elected him a seat in the senate...11 million people believed in his idealism and principles and 11 million voter's slapped the face of the current administration and AFP leadership lead by Esperon :)

http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=212005&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:12 pm 
Heavyweight

The Oakwood Agreement

The following are the terms of the Oakwood Agreement, which was approved by the so-called Magdalo soldiers and the government represented by Gen. Roy Cimatu (Ret.):

· Only the five (5) leaders named will suffer the consequences of the actions of the whole group at Oakwood. The five (5) are: Cpt Gary Alejano PN(M), Cpt Gerardo Gambala PA, Cpt Milo Maestrecampo PA, LTSG James Layug PN and LTSG Antonio Trillanes IV. All the rest shall only be admonished under the provisions of AW 105.

· There will be an independent investigation on the status of RSBS.

· There will be an independent investigation on the selling of arms and ammunition to the enemies of the state.

· There will be an independent investigation on the bombings in Davao and other areas in Mindanao.

· There will be an independent investigation on the extent of corruption in the AFP.

The agreement was witnessed by Mr Max Soliven, VADM Ruben Domingo, COMMO Tirso Danga, BGEN Danilo Lim, CAPT Feliciano Anggue PN, COL Oban PAF, Usec Abraham Purugganan, and Gen Dionisio Santiago (Ret). The above terms were approved by GMA through a phone call made by Gen Cimatu. As further proof of Malacanang’s approval of the Oakwood Agreement, the terms were broadcasted live on national TV by then AFP Chief of Staff Gen Narciso Abaya before the Magdalo soldiers agreed to stand down.

Starting 29 July 2003 all officers and EP who participated in the Oakwood Incident were detained in direct contravention of the agreement.

A few weeks after the incident, the Maniwang and Feliciano Commissions were created by the government to conduct the investigations as stated in the agreement. Both commissions exonerated both the GMA administration and the AFP of any wrongdoing.

In Aug 2003, two (2) Marine officers testified in the Senate regarding the selling of arms and ammunition to lawless elements in Jolo. In fact, a marine company was even directed by Southcom to transport and deliver the said items to a drop-off point at a roadside. This was admitted by then Southcom Chief LTGEN Padiernos. The tragic irony is that these same guns and ammunition may have been the same ones used against the Marines in the recent clashes in Jolo, which killed at least 12 and wounded more than 20 of them.

In Oct 2006, Defense Sec. Avelino Cruz declared that because of its bankruptcy, the RSBS would shut down its operation.

----------

hmmmp

i think in Military, the Gentleman's agreement is considered as real agreement...
what happened to the agreement?

Last edited by paktol on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Deal sealed on Magdalo mutiny case — AFP officials

The Daily Tribune; 11/09/2007

Two senior military officials in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) yesterday admitted before the Makati City Regional Trial Court (RTC) that there was indeed a “gentleman’s agreement” reached between the Magdalo group and government negotiators that led to the peaceful end of the Oakwood short mutiny some four years ago.

Testifying for the Magdalo group during yesterday’s hearing of the coup d’etat case, Cmdr. Feliciano Ange and Air Force Brig. Gen. Eduardo Oban both attested to the existence of an agreement that Magdalo lawyers said was not honored by President Arroyo.

Defense counsel Reynaldo Robles said the testimonies are crucial in proving the contention that the Arroyo administration reneged on an agreement to prosecute only the Magdalo core leaders, not the rest of the group, for their involvement in the July 27, 2003 Oakwood mutiny.

Ange, the current commander of the Ready Force of the Philippine Fleet said the final agreement was that the five officers who formed the core leaders would take the brunt of the offense committed while the rest would be meted Article of War 105 proceedings.

In their testimonies, the two confirmed that a gentleman’s agreement was indeed forged between government negotiators led by then AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Roy Cimatu and the Magdalo group led by former Navy Ltsg. and now Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.

Aside from Trillanes, Ange identified the rest of the officers as Navy Ltsg. James Layug, Army Captains Gerardo Gambala and Milo Maestrecampo and Marine Captain Gary Alejano.

The sixth leader of the group, Marine Captain Nicanor Faeldon, was not identified by both witnesses, eliciting surprise from the latter’s counsel, Trixie Angeles.

Asked to clarify what he meant by “to take the brunt of punishment,” Ange said: “I understand it means whatever punishment commensurate to their offense.”

Ange recounted he was asked to report to Camp Aguinaldo on the morning of July 27 where he met Scout Ranger Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim, Adm. Tirso Danga, Oban, Cimatu and the late Philippine Star publisher Maximo Soliven for briefing.

They later formed the government panel that successfully negotiated the stand-down of the junior officers and their return after a 24-hour standoff.

He said he believes the instructions came from then Armed Forces chief Narciso Abaya.

Assistant Chief State Prosecutor Richard Anthony Fadullon was able to extract an admission from Ange that the agreement was not reduce into writing.

Ange, however, told Fadullon a handshake agreement is as binding as a written agreement among gentleman and officers of the military.

Oban, the Wing Commander of the Air Force Air Defense Wing based at Villamor Air Base, corroborated Ange’s account of the negotiation.

Oban told the court on cross-examination, that they did not receive or have any knowledge of instructions coming directly from Mrs. Arroyo, also the Commander-in-Chief.

Robles said the testimonies of the two were very crucial in their case especially against the rest of the accused officers who remain in detention at various military camps while the case is being heard.

But Fadullon belittled their testimonies and said the agreement does not preclude the Department of Justice (DoJ), as the prosecutorial arm of the government, from initiating and proceeding with the case.

Lawyer Rene Saguisag, who served as the counsel of Magdalo member, 1st Lt. Nathaniel Rabonza, was unable to attend the hearing after he and his wife were involved in an early morning vehicular accident in Makati City. (see related story)

Saguisag earlier said a written agreement was forged during the negotiation as attested by Soliven.

He later asked the court to summon Mrs. Arroyo, Lim or a representative of the broadsheet to attest to the existence of the agreement.

Meanwhile, a lawyer for detained Marine Col. Ariel Querubin yesterday insisted that he be released from military jail.

Hearing the petition for habeas corpus filed by Querubin’s wife Maria Flor, the lawyer Sigfried Fortun pointed out that Querubin is being subjected to continued detention despite the fact that the pre-trial advice (PTA) in the case has yet to be signed by Armed Forces chief Hermogenes Esperon Jr.

Querubin, a Medal of Valor awardee, is among 30 military officials who are facing court martial proceedings for their alleged participation in the February 2006 mutiny.

Court of Appeals Associate Justice Noel Tijam agreed with Querubin’s counsel, saying the soldier’s due process is being violated because of his continuing detention.

“So soldiers have less pay and less rights? Why don’t you allow them to post bail. Soldiers, too, have civil rights under the Constitution,” he said.

Assistant Solicitor General Amparo Tang, however, claimed that Querubin has limited rights under the law. “Soldiers enjoy the same right but not to the same degree as private individuals,” the government prosecutor said.

Tang argued that there were delays in the proceedings before the General Court Martial because Querubin filed many motions and petitions to block the resolution of the cases.

Tang said the petition for habeas coropus should be dismissed as there is a pending case before the Supreme Court raising the same set of issues.

Querubin also asked for the issuance of a temporary restraining order against respondents Esperon and the special general court martial to try him and other officers for violations of the Articles of War for mutiny.

Army chief Lt. Gen. Alexander Yano, for his part, also yesterday claimed that the 26 enlisted personnel implicated in the coup plot last year were “mercenaries” and that “money was involved” for them to join the military standoff. Ben Gines Jr., Benjamin B. Pulta and Gina Peralta-Elorde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

bripenet wrote:

You update yourself and correct your wrong information. Sen Trillanes apologized and even saluted GMA, that was on Sept 24, 2004.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:55 pm 
Light Heavyweight

paktol wrote:
bripenet wrote:

i seconded this one...

...that's the reason why 11 million plus real filipino voters elected him a seat in the senate...11 million people believed in his idealism and principles and 11 million voter's slapped the face of the current administration and AFP leadership lead by Esperon :)

This the craziest idea regarding this topic: 11 million Filipinos voted for Sen Trillanes because he didn't apologize to GMA :biglaugh:

And by the way they did not elect him a seat.:banghead:

Check your facts brother, :banghead: Sen Trillanes and Cpt Faeldon apologized and that was on Sept 24, 2004.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 pm 
Heavyweight

wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:
bripenet wrote:

i seconded this one...

This the craziest idea regarding this topic: 11 million Filipinos voted for Sen Trillanes because he didn't apologize to GMA :biglaugh:

Check your facts brother, :banghead: Sen Trillanes and Cpt Faeldon apologized and that was on Sept 24, 2004.

show me the link or even news clips...

in other thread you said that only 2% of soldiers voted for him and 85,000 AFP soldiers are scattered in the Philippine archipelago, i think you should read your facts :biglaugh:
where did you get that false data? :banghead:

please read this...statement of Gen. Angelo Reyes during AFPs withdrawal of support to Erap in 2001.

On behalf of the 113,000-strong Armed Forces of the Philippines, we wish to announce that we are withdrawing our support from the incumbent president.* We will support his constitutionally mandated successor under Article 2, Section 3, of the Constitution***... the AFP must protect the people and the State.”

now tell me, who should check the facts :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:16 pm 
Heavyweight

wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:
bripenet wrote:

i seconded this one...

ang hina ng utak nito :biglaugh:

Sen. Trillanes was elected because of his anti-GMA stand, unlike the maestrecampo and gambala who apologized to GMA, only Trillanes and Faeldon defies the president. is that diffucult to understand :banghead:

whew! i miss heated debates :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm 
Light Heavyweight

paktol wrote:
wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:

i seconded this one...

show me the link or even news clips...

in other thread you said that only 2% of soldiers voted for him and 85,000 AFP soldiers are scattered in the Philippine archipelago, i think you should read your facts :biglaugh:
where did you get that false data? :banghead:

please read this...statement of Gen. Angelo Reyes during AFPs withdrawal of support to Erap in 2001.

On behalf of the 113,000-strong Armed Forces of the Philippines, we wish to announce that we are withdrawing our support from the incumbent president.* We will support his constitutionally mandated successor under Article 2, Section 3, of the Constitution***... the AFP must protect the people and the State.”

now tell me, who should check the facts :lol:

Return to that thread and you'll get you facts. Stay put on the topic and don't scramble it so as not to confuse the readers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 pm 
Heavyweight

It`s like tying him in one boxing corner and attacked him by a MULTIPLE barrage of punches. Ilabas na yan....By the time lumabas na mga proposal nya sa camp(detention center)......pinapalitan na at iniiba ng kalaban ANG TONO para mukha syang katawa tawa.

Luma na yan o bago stilo ba yan ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
Light Heavyweight

paktol wrote:
wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:
i seconded this one...

ang hina ng utak nito :biglaugh:

Sen. Trillanes was elected because of his anti-GMA stand, unlike the maestrecampo and gambala who apologized to GMA, only Trillanes and Faeldon defies the president. is that diffucult to understand :banghead:

whew! i miss heated debates :biglaugh:

And you are very intelligent. :biglaugh:

Check you facts and return later, Ok. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:02 pm 
Heavyweight

wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:
bripenet wrote:

i seconded this one...

show me at least one article...if you can show me at least one article that Sen. Trillanes apologizes to GMA then i'll quit here if not you must quit here....deal? :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 pm 
Light Heavyweight

paktol wrote:
wardag wrote:
paktol wrote:
i seconded this one...

show me at least one article...if you can show me at least one article that Sen. Trillanes apologizes to GMA then i'll quit here if not you must quit here....deal? :biglaugh:

DEAL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next