Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 pm 
Heavyweight

mahirap maniwala hinde kasi dilawan writter :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Last edited by dan44 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 pm 
Heavyweight

PeluBoy wrote:
written by an American journalist invited by Ninoy to "his" :lol: hacienda together with local fawning journalists:
:lol: wrote:
The minute we landed in T@rlac the weekend started to unfold like I imagined a weekend at the Kennedy’s Hyannis Port compound would be. The accent was focused on ego, wealth and sport. No sooner had we been shown our rooms than we were whisked off to be given the grand tour of the vast estate of Hacienda Luisita. The Senator had changed from his formal barong-tagalog into an impeccably tailored riding habit courtesy, I was informed, of a renowned men’s outfitters in Savile Row. Despite his bulk the Senator certainly looked elegant! And I thought what a perfectly fitting outfit for presenting us his string of polo ponies each one, he told us with pride, flown over from Ireland.

Ninoy pointed in the direction of a lush meadow where a magnificent looking steed was munching grass and whisking away the myriad flies with its tail.

“That’s my Arab stallion,” he boasted, “It cost me $160,000. He’s the best stud in the Philippines.”

I wondered aloud how one compared one stud with another. Did you line them up in front of the mares and then measure the results? But the Senator was in mid-flow and not about to be interrupted by such a churlish question.

“For his service alone I earn an annual income of around $26,000. I charge $2000 a time!”

He moved on and, like faithful hounds, we followed. In an adjacent field Ninoy pointed out a one-month old foal.

“I’ve already been offered $30,000 for that one on the day it was dropped. But I’m thinking why should I accept $30,000 for it when I can easily enter it in the sweepstakes and walk away with $120, 000?”

Why indeed, Senator? I thought. My brain was getting confused with all this talk of money. Maths had never been my strong subject.

“Anyone for a ride? Sylvia? And how about you, Caroline?”

Abruptly Ninoy jolted me back to the present. I could see he was itching to show off his prowess in the saddle.

But nobody wanted to ride, least of all me. I had no intention of making a fool of myself. The others felt the same. The Senator looked disappointed. So, instead he bundled us all into two Super de Luxe Land Rovers to complete the tour of his vast property. Again he failed to say the land was part of an 18,000-acre estate belonging to his wife’s family, the Cojuancos.
:shock:

Kung si Raisa Robles ang sumulat niyan tiyak marami ang maniniwala , ang kaso hinde dilawan writter ang sumulat at mahirap paniwalaan yan diba Amigang DR :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 am 
Heavyweight

if I'm not mistaken it was in 1968 when the foreign lady journalist wrote an unflattering article with these details on Ninoy that came out in a major broadsheet, and the then-senator-aspiring-to-be-president was so embarassed that he avoided the limelight for some time (a "full six weeks" :lol: )...........his brother Butz then approached the lady journalist to ask for a "retraction" to which of course she refused

:lol: wrote:
Six weeks later the furore had still not died down. Eventually Ninoy’s brother, Butz, called me up to extend an olive branch.

“Can we meet?” he asked, “I’ll take you out for a meal. We do need to talk!”

I agreed. My friend, the notorious political commentator Roger “Bomba” Arienda, accompanied me to offer his support should I need it. Over lunch Butz told us, “Ninoy’s crushed, Caroline. He doesn’t know what to do. He wanted to rebut your article but we advised him against it in case it made him look like a sore loser.”

Butz lowered his eyes. I almost felt sorry for him. He seemed uncomfortable in his role as mediator. “Why I’m here, what I’ve been asked to do, Caroline, is,” Butz paused for a minute reluctant to relay the message he’d come to deliver. “Could you possibly write another one? I mean, a more favourable one?”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

But it was all true!” I protested. “Ninoy knows that. Why would I want to change it? Trouble is your brother is a show-off. He can’t help it. He asked for it, really he did.” I looked at Roger. Now was the time I needed his support.

Roger nodded. “It’s true. Caroline doesn’t tell lies!”

“I know. I know,” Butz replied, “but it’s hurt him badly. Couldn’t you just…?”

“No, I’m sorry!” I was emphatic. I had sympathy for Butz but none for the Boy Wonder. Roger, a firm believer in free speech, squeezed my hand under the table.

A few days passed and I received a message from Malacanang Palace requesting permission to reprint the article in the run-up to the 1969 presidential election. Again I refused. There was no way I would allow the Marcoses to use it as propaganda material. I had never intended it for that purpose and I could not agree to it. In the end, as it turned out, any propaganda against Marcos’s diehard opponent proved entirely unnecessary.

:bounce1: