Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:54 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:24 am 
Featherweight

Manny should never be considered a national hero. He is plain and simple an athlete, an entertainer, a prizefighter who fights for money, and a good and kind fellow rolled into one. Michael Jordan is not considered as a hero of America, he does have a statue in honor of him but he's not at par with George Washington. It doesn't mean just because our country is glued into tv when he fights and our politicians from brgy chairman to vice president swarms into vegas when he fights, he is already a national hero. A national figure. Yes! just like a kris aquino or a vic sotto, but to be elevated to the likes of Andres Bonifacio or Jose Rizal or an Apolinario Mabini, hell NO! It doesn't mean we are united as a nation in watching primetime tele-seryes we can consider GMA or ABS-CBN heroes.

Our heroes have fought, sacrificed one's self, family, future and lives of their loved ones to attain our freedom. It's just so sad that they have never saw the dawn of our freedom and its up to us to remember the ones who have fallen in the dark as heroes. They were never like Manny Pacquiao who mainly fights for millions of money. For whom? for HIMSELF. Yes! he may share some of the crumbs of it to the poor, but it doesn't make him a hero! It makes him a philantropist. He fights for his fame, honor and personal achievement and none of these reasons qualify him to be considered a national hero. He may bring honor to our country in a different way nothing more than to make ourselves known to the international community as a nation in the area of sports but what difference does it make with Onyok Velasco, Paeng Nepomucino, Flash Elorde, Efren Reyes, etc...If he does enter politics then who are we to stop him? It's his right to befriend, support even hug a politiko. Being a politician doesn't make an inch of somebody a hero because in our country the accolades and money given to them or they forcibly took is for their personal needs and wants not of their constituents..This is the era of self-first-before-the-masses politics, gone were the days...God Bless the Republic of the Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 am 
Light Heavyweight

neechnz wrote:
Manny should never be considered a national hero. He is plain and simple an athlete, an entertainer, a prizefighter who fights for money, and a good and kind fellow rolled into one. Michael Jordan is not considered as a hero of America, he does have a statue in honor of him but he's not at par with George Washington. It doesn't mean just because our country is glued into tv when he fights and our politicians from brgy chairman to vice president swarms into vegas when he fights, he is already a national hero. A national figure. Yes! just like a kris aquino or a vic sotto, but to be elevated to the likes of Andres Bonifacio or Jose Rizal or an Apolinario Mabini, hell NO! It doesn't mean we are united as a nation in watching primetime tele-seryes we can consider GMA or ABS-CBN heroes.

Our heroes have fought, sacrificed one's self, family, future and lives of their loved ones to attain our freedom. It's just so sad that they have never saw the dawn of our freedom and its up to us to remember the ones who have fallen in the dark as heroes. They were never like Manny Pacquiao who mainly fights for millions of money. For whom? for HIMSELF. Yes! he may share some of the crumbs of it to the poor, but it doesn't make him a hero! It makes him a philantropist. He fights for his fame, honor and personal achievement and none of these reasons qualify him to be considered a national hero. He may bring honor to our country in a different way nothing more than to make ourselves known to the international community as a nation in the area of sports but what difference does it make with Onyok Velasco, Paeng Nepomucino, Flash Elorde, Efren Reyes, etc...If he does enter politics then who are we to stop him? It's his right to befriend, support even hug a politiko. Being a politician doesn't make an inch of somebody a hero because in our country the accolades and money given to them or they forcibly took is for their personal needs and wants not of their constituents..This is the era of self-first-before-the-masses politics, gone were the days...God Bless the Republic of the Philippines

Very dramatic write-up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:35 am 
Light Heavyweight

gregnovella wrote:
The definition of a hero is a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities...

I’m pinoy and I’m proud of it, but despite of that, I don't believe Manny Pacquiao should be considered a Filipino hero, why, because he supports the most corrupt president in our time, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (PGMA), he supports a president that lies, cheats, and steals, a president who tries to change our form of government and constitution so she could stay in power beyond 2010, a president who is guilty of human rights violation, a president who pardoned Joseph Estrada (Erap), another corrupt president, because he is supporting a corrupt leader, I do not believe Manny should be considered a Filipino hero...

To those who say that politics and Manny shouldn’t mix, he mixed them, by inviting corrupt political officials, like Chavit Singson and others, into the ring with him, by joining PGMA’s party LAKAS and running for a congressional seat, and he is running again in the 2010 Philippine general election...

How can you say Manny represents the Philippines since he supports the most corrupt president in our time, PGMA? How can you call Manny a Filipino hero since he supports a corrupt leader like PGMA? Doesn't Manny see how evil PGMA is? Are we all going to turn a blind eye and say that it's okay, Manny is supporting the Philippines in boxing, so it's okay if he supports PGMA? Hell no, I don't care if Manny is a pinoy like me, it's like saying that we have to support PGMA because she represents the Philippines and is a pinoy like me... Hell no!

Pacquiao dosen't like to be a hero! He likes to be a boxer first and a politician second. Neither he likes to chop his boxing rivals with a bolo nor he wants to be shot in Luneta. I guess you are a political rival of Pacquiao come 2010.

Last edited by arkitekto on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 am 
Light Heavyweight

neechnz wrote:

Just tell your sentiments to the media. They're the ones who are saying that Pacquiao is a hero.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 am 
Light Heavyweight

Pacquiao is a hero to the upcoming boxers who are poor. He is their Idol and want to follow in his footsteps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:51 am 
Heavyweight

i think he is.....

:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:00 am 
Light Heavyweight

OompaLoompa wrote:
el critico wrote:
if one criteria for a hero is dumbness, pacquiao is a big possibility for the category :biglaugh:

As if you have more brains than Manny when all you are is an internet termite haha !!! 8)

termite or surot?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:24 am 
Middleweight

let's see:

super-heroes:
BATMAN, IRONMAN, CATWOMAN, SUPERMAN, LASTIKMAN

"PACMAN" sounds like one. fair enough to be a hero (not super though) :bounce1:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am 
Cruiserweight

gregnovella wrote:

Since you think that the Philippines and the Filipino people are losers and not winners, that we didn't really win our country from the invaders, and that Jose Rizal's death and the sacrifices of our other Filipino heroes meant nothing, why don't you leave our country, go abroad and live there...

Did i say that? was i generalizing pinoys as a loser? scroll backward. We were talking your heroes, the dead heroes of yours... they are the loser and not the entire pinoy population. You must be out of your mind or get owned by your way of reasoning.
Well, i am a pinoy, i have the right to stay anywhere within the country... Nobody can strip that right away from me... even the president. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:46 am 
Lightweight

If OFWs can be considered heroes of today, why not Manny? considering he's also an OFW earning his bread and butter outside the country...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:59 pm 
Lightweight

conan wrote:
gregnovella wrote:

Since you think that the Philippines and the Filipino people are losers and not winners, that we didn't really win our country from the invaders, and that Jose Rizal's death and the sacrifices of our other Filipino heroes meant nothing, why don't you leave our country, go abroad and live there...

Did i say that? was i generalizing pinoys as a loser? scroll backward. We were talking your heroes, the dead heroes of yours... they are the loser and not the entire pinoy population. You must be out of your mind or get owned by your way of reasoning.
Well, i am a pinoy, i have the right to stay anywhere within the country... Nobody can strip that right away from me... even the president. :lol:

okay, i admit i was wrong on that, but i have questions for you...

can you do better than Jose Rizal, Andres Bonfacio, Gregorio Del Pillar, etc? Can you sacrifice your life, you lifestyle, your wealth, your personal safety for the freedom of the Philippines? Can you go against an unbeatable force like Spain, knowing that you'll lose? Can you? I don't think so...

you criticize these heroes as losers and fools, but you can't sacrifice yourself for the Philippines. Can you sacrifice as they did, despite the odds? I don't think so...

you are the loser and your a coward, not Rizal, not Bonfacio, not Del Pillar and not all the other heroes who sacrificed a lot for our motherland, the Philippines...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:41 pm 
Middleweight

el critico wrote:
if one criteria for a hero is dumbness, pacquiao is a big possibility for the category :biglaugh:

Unfortunately it is not EC.... but to me you look dumber than the PACMAN, whatever criteria will be
used... :beeh:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:02 pm 
Heavyweight

gregnovella wrote:
beastie_roy wrote:
gregnovella wrote:

So it's okay for you if corrupt people like PGMA, Erap, Chavit Singson and other corrupt officials support Manny? So it's okay for you if Manny supports the most corrupt president in our time, PGMA?

I have no problem with politicians supporting Manny. PGMA, Erap and Chavit Singson can support whoever they want to support. They are also Filipinos like us. We're living in democracy. Whoever they support doesn't make the one supported corrupt. It's not Manny's fault that he's being used by politicians, he's not only famous but also very influential. We have nothing to say for Manny's support for PGMA. Manny has freedom to support whoever he wants to support.

By the way, how did you know that PGMA is most corrupt president of RP? Did you get your information from hearsay or did you catch PGMA stealing red handed?

Okay, then tell me this, why did PGMA create Executive Order Number 164 (is that correct???)? Executive Order Number 164 is designed so that people from her Administration or anyone in government wouldn't be allowed to testify, now why would be create such an order if she had nothing to hide...

If PGMA had nothing to hide, if she had the truth by her side, then she wouldn't have created such an order, she would have allowed her people or people in government to testify, they say, "The truth shall set you free..." and "Your best defense is the Truth..."

beastie_roy wrote:
It's Executive Order 464. The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) asked the president to allow her subordinates without being obstructed in their testimony no matter who is involved. That's why she revoked the order last March 5, 2008. She knew it was a wrong decision to sign EO 464 that's why she revoked it. Everybody makes mistakes in life.

Now that EO 464 is gone for more than a year now, how come nobody in her cabinet are testifying against PGMA?

dogs are still eating in its master's hand, why they will bite her?
let her them hungry and you will see what will happen next...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WALA NA NGA WALA! --- Gat. Andres Bonifacio "ANG SUPREMO"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:16 pm 
Heavyweight

gregnovella wrote:
conan wrote:
gregnovella wrote:

okay, i admit i was wrong on that, but i have questions for you...

can you do better than Jose Rizal, Andres Bonfacio, Gregorio Del Pillar, etc? Can you sacrifice your life, you lifestyle, your wealth, your personal safety for the freedom of the Philippines? Can you go against an unbeatable force like Spain, knowing that you'll lose? Can you? I don't think so...

you criticize these heroes as losers and fools, but you can't sacrifice yourself for the Philippines. Can you sacrifice as they did, despite the odds? I don't think so...

you are the loser and your a coward, not Rizal, not Bonfacio, not Del Pillar and not all the other heroes who sacrificed a lot for our motherland, the Philippines...

Correction bro...
Only Bonifacio, Del Pilar and others Katipuneroes who fights for the freedom of our Native Land (Pilipinas) not Rizal.
Please read again the real aim of La Solidaridad...
Rizal wanted the Philippines to be a state of Spain...
Is that what you mean of democracy? :lol:

WALA NA NGA WALA! --- Gat. Andres Bonifacio "ANG SUPREMO"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:17 pm 
Middleweight

manny pacquiao is a hero... he should be permanently included in DOTA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next