Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

who?
James the Less 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
James the Greater 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
James the Just 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: James who?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:39 pm 

Who wrote the epistle of James in the Judeo Christian bible commissioned by Emperor Constantin in 325?

There are two James among the 12 apostles, son of Zebedee and son of Alphaeus. Another one is referred to as Jesus' brother James the just or James the beloved...

There are many claims and hypothesis. what's your take?

who among the 3 James wrote the epistle of James in the new testament?

-Thanks

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

Post subject: Re: James who?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 pm 
Heavyweight

To be honest, I thought this would be a thread for James the Infamous PRMO Paclander...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:13 am 
Heavyweight

It is believed by theologians that James is the half-brother of Jesus.....Jesus in fact had a half-brother named Judas too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm 

JCOOL2329 wrote:
It is believed by theologians that James is the half-brother of Jesus.....Jesus in fact had a half-brother named Judas too.

sya nga yan.

James the Just yan di ba?

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:06 am 
Heavyweight

miron_lang wrote:
JCOOL2329 wrote:

sya nga yan.

yes sir......he died by being thrown off from top of a building from professing his faith.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 am 
Heavyweight

JCOOL2329 wrote:
miron_lang wrote:
JCOOL2329 wrote:

sya nga yan.

yes sir......he died by being thrown off from top of a building from professing his faith.

Correction: he is James the less according to wikipedia and he was stoned to death by a high priest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_brother_of_Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm 

are we all in agreement here with what James wrote ? (James 2:14-26 kjv)

Quote:
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:37 pm 

JCOOL2329 wrote:

Correction: he is James the less according to wikipedia and he was stoned to death by a high priest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_brother_of_Jesus

Pre yung sumulat ng James ay si James the Just kapatid ni Hesus

si James the less yung mas bata sa 12 na apostoles (son of Alphaeus)

si James the greater naman kaya greater kasi mas matanda ( son of Zebedee)

yung dalawang James na yan eh miyembro nung 12 apostles

andami kasing James kaya napa create ako ng thread na to :)

sa NBA lang ngayon dalawang James ang sikat... Lebron James at James Harden... :D

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am 
Middleweight

miron_lang wrote:
Who wrote the epistle of James in the Judeo Christian bible commissioned by Emperor Constantin in 325?

There are two James among the 12 apostles, son of Zebedee and son of Alphaeus. Another one is referred to as Jesus' brother James the just or James the beloved...

There are many claims and hypothesis. what's your take?

who among the 3 James wrote the epistle of James in the new testament?

-Thanks

Who among the 3 James wrote the epistle of James in the new testament?

Mod, I think this is a loaded question. I mean it’s a bit complex (and tricky) because by specifying three names from which to select our answer, we are presupposing that we have three different Jameses here.

There’s no question about James the son of Zebedee (as he was martyred by King Herod Agrippa I, sometime between A.D. 41 and 44). However, James the ‘brother’ of the Lord (what kind of brother, by the way, is a worthy topic for debate) is sometimes identified with James the son of Alphaeus. In fact, James was one of the most popular male names in first-century Palestine, and there are multiple men in the New Testament who bear it.

Whether James the ‘brother’ of the Lord is also to be identified with James the son of Alphaeus is an interesting question, but one too technical to go further into here. We do, however, have good reason to identify James the ‘brother’ of the Lord as the author of the epistle.

But then again, what kind of brother?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 am 
Middleweight

JCOOL2329 wrote:

Matthew and Mark both record Jesus as having four “brothers”: James, Joseph (Joses), Simon, and Jude (Matt. 13:55, Mark 6:3).

My position is that these were not half-brothers born to Joseph and Mary, for Mary remained a virgin. (The ever-virginity of Mary is another interesting topic for discussion.)

1. The earliest explanation of their relationship to Jesus is that they were stepbrothers; that Joseph was a widower who became the caretaker of Mary after having another family by a prior wife. This explanation appears in the mid-100s (cf. Protoevangelium of James) and has always been the most popular view in Eastern Christendom.

2. St. Jerome popularized another view, which is that they were Jesus’ cousins (cf. Against Helvidius). This view became common in Western Christendom. Advocates of the “cousins” view often identify James the brother of the Lord with one of the twelve apostles, known as “James the son of Alphaeus” (Matt. 10:3).

3. However, Pope Benedict XVI noted: “Among experts, the question of the identity of these two figures with the same name, James son of Alphaeus and James ‘the brother of the Lord,’ is disputed” (General Audience, June 28, 2006).

One reason for the dispute is that the “brothers” of Jesus do not seem to have been followers of his during his earthly ministry, which would preclude them from being among the twelve apostles. Jesus himself noted that a prophet has no honor “among his own kin, and in his own house” (Mark 6:4). And John states: “Even his brethren did not believe in him” (7:5). They did, however, come to faith afterward (Acts 1:14).

So again, to get back on topic:
Whether James the ‘brother’ of the Lord is also to be identified with James the son of Alphaeus or not, we do have good reason to identify James the ‘brother’ of the Lord as the author of the epistle.

Well then, so.....did Jesus have blood brothers? This is certainly a healthy topic for debate, as this will inevitably touch on the perpetual virginity of Mary.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:44 pm 
Heavyweight

TheEnigma wrote:
JCOOL2329 wrote:

Matthew and Mark both record Jesus as having four “brothers”: James, Joseph (Joses), Simon, and Jude (Matt. 13:55, Mark 6:3).

My position is that these were not half-brothers born to Joseph and Mary, for Mary remained a virgin. (The ever-virginity of Mary is another interesting topic for discussion.)

1. The earliest explanation of their relationship to Jesus is that they were stepbrothers; that Joseph was a widower who became the caretaker of Mary after having another family by a prior wife. This explanation appears in the mid-100s (cf. Protoevangelium of James) and has always been the most popular view in Eastern Christendom.

2. St. Jerome popularized another view, which is that they were Jesus’ cousins (cf. Against Helvidius). This view became common in Western Christendom. Advocates of the “cousins” view often identify James the brother of the Lord with one of the twelve apostles, known as “James the son of Alphaeus” (Matt. 10:3).

3. However, Pope Benedict XVI noted: “Among experts, the question of the identity of these two figures with the same name, James son of Alphaeus and James ‘the brother of the Lord,’ is disputed” (General Audience, June 28, 2006).

One reason for the dispute is that the “brothers” of Jesus do not seem to have been followers of his during his earthly ministry, which would preclude them from being among the twelve apostles. Jesus himself noted that a prophet has no honor “among his own kin, and in his own house” (Mark 6:4). And John states: “Even his brethren did not believe in him” (7:5). They did, however, come to faith afterward (Acts 1:14).

Whether James the ‘brother’ of the Lord is also to be identified with James the son of Alphaeus or not, we do have good reason to identify James the ‘brother’ of the Lord as the author of the epistle.

Well then, so.....did Jesus have blood brothers? This is certainly a healthy topic for debate, as this will inevitably touch on the perpetual virginity of Mary.

I certainly think so or else why would the bible let us know in the first place.......Jesus is the only begotten Son of the Father in Heaven and the unique thing about it is that the perfect blood of Jesus has to be pure and untainted for Him to qualify as the Lamb of God to pay for the sins of the world......cuz you can't fix dirty blood with dirty blood......and Adam represented us in sin which was handed down to us through generation by the bloodline so it would have to take a second or the last adam to fix it and his name is Jesus Christ....even though Jesus had half-brothers it doesn't mean they have the same bloodline cuz the X factor here is that Jesus was birth by the seed from God whereas the half-brothers were birth by Joseph's seed cuz the male determines the bloodline. I hope that this helps your point of view on things cuz no matter it all leads back to what God intended in the first place.....and it's this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

God Bless,
8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm 
Middleweight

TheEnigma wrote:
JCOOL2329 wrote:

JCOOL2329 wrote:
I certainly think so or else why would the bible let us know in the first place.......Jesus is the only begotten Son of the Father in Heaven and the unique thing about it is that the perfect blood of Jesus has to be pure and untainted for Him to qualify as the Lamb of God to pay for the sins of the world......cuz you can't fix dirty blood with dirty blood......and Adam represented us in sin which was handed down to us through generation by the bloodline so it would have to take a second or the last adam to fix it and his name is Jesus Christ....even though Jesus had half-brothers it doesn't mean they have the same bloodline cuz the X factor here is that Jesus was birth by the seed from God whereas the half-brothers were birth by Joseph's seed cuz the male determines the bloodline. I hope that this helps your point of view on things cuz no matter it all leads back to what God intended in the first place.....and it's this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

God Bless,
8)
You have some good point.

In spite of that, I would still prefer taking on the negative side as regards the question of Jesus having blood brothers. I don't care how many so-called "scholars" believe that Mary had other children with Joseph.

Want to know something funny?

Almost no one held this position before the 1800s, and the very small number that did were called heretics. This abandonment of the perpetual virginity of Mary started in Evangelical America. Even the first protestants (including Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and John Wesley) all believed dogmatically in the perpetual virginity.

The Church Fathers? Unanimously held to perpetual virginity of Mary, as taught to them by the apostles. So yeah.... :)