Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 am 
Lightweight

Unheralded Japanese challenger Yusuke Kobori (23-2-1, 12 KOs), 135, impressively captured the WBA lightweight belt as he came off the deck in the second round, caught defending champ Jose Alfaro (20-4-1NC, 18 KOs), 134.25, with a vicious left hook to drop him back and halted the Nicaraguan at 2:08 of the third round on Monday in Tokyo, Japan.

some folks say that Randy could only beat Japs so now is the time to have a title shot and reign as lightweight champion with Pacman.

...I'm sorry, you say something?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:26 am 
Heavyweight

mr.takamura wrote:

Unheralded Japanese challenger Yusuke Kobori (23-2-1, 12 KOs), 135, impressively captured the WBA lightweight belt as he came off the deck in the second round, caught defending champ Jose Alfaro (20-4-1NC, 18 KOs), 134.25, with a vicious left hook to drop him back and halted the Nicaraguan at 2:08 of the third round on Monday in Tokyo, Japan.

some folks say that Randy could only beat Japs so now is the time to have a title shot and reign as lightweight champion with Pacman.

what? how many WBA lightweight champion are there? i thought Nate Campbell is the WBA lightweight champion? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 am 
Heavyweight

lbcya99 wrote:
mr.takamura wrote:

what? how many WBA lightweight champion are there? i thought Nate Campbell is the WBA lightweight champion? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nate Camell is supah champion!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 am 
Cruiserweight

lbcya99 wrote:
mr.takamura wrote:

It cud be a regional belt!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:02 am 
Heavyweight

skipper5398 wrote:

no its like the WBA regular belt like AJ banal is fighting for when christian mijares unified with munoz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 am 
Heavyweight

Dagul_Denboy wrote:
skipper5398 wrote:

no its like the WBA regular belt like AJ banal is fighting for when christian mijares unified with munoz

ang panget ng WBA... trans: great belt...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 am 
Middleweight

All I know is that WBA is not as prestigious as WBC, WBO and IBF but perhaps more acknowledged than IBO and WBF. But yes, I'm confused with the WBA belt held by campbell which is supposedly a ligitimate WBA lightweight title and not regional. Perhaps some boxing experts or enthusiasts here in pacland know the technicallity. Anyone? I wish quinito henson is on this forum

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Too many WBA belts... Super Champion (Nate Campbell), Champion (Yusuke Kobiri)...

Is this similar to the Interim Belts?

Next thing you know there'd be:
a. "Almost Champion" Belt
b. "Could be Champion but avoided" Belt
c. "In my opinion he should be the Champion" Belt
and...
d. "Should be Champion but his promoter $uck$" Belt
:? :? :?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:14 pm 
Heavyweight

ycg wrote:
Too many WBA belts... Super Champion (Nate Campbell), Champion (Yusuke Kobiri)...

Is this similar to the Interim Belts?

Next thing you know there'd be:
a. "Almost Champion" Belt
b. "Could be Champion but avoided" Belt
c. "In my opinion he should be the Champion" Belt
and...
d. "Should be Champion but his promoter $uck$" Belt
:? :? :?

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:32 pm 
Middleweight

devondenom wrote:
All I know is that WBA is not as prestigious as WBC, WBO and IBF but perhaps more acknowledged than IBO and WBF. But yes, I'm confused with the WBA belt held by campbell which is supposedly a ligitimate WBA lightweight title and not regional. Perhaps some boxing experts or enthusiasts here in pacland know the technicallity. Anyone? I wish quinito henson is on this forum

Here's how the WBA goes with its championship belts. If the WBA champion acquires another belt from the WBC, IBF and/or WBO then the "regular" WBA title is vacated. Here's how the WBA defines them:
  • If the WBA champ has one more belt (2 total) - Unified Champion
  • If the WBA champ has two more belts (3 total) - Undisputed Champion
  • All 4 belts - Super Champion

Currently, there are 4 WBA "non-regular" champions:
  • David Haye - WBA Unified Cruiserweight champ (with WBO; was Undisputed since March 2008 until he relinquished the WBC a couple of weeks ago; Firat Arslan of Germany is the "regular" champ
  • Joe Clazaghe - WBA Undisputed Super Middleweight champ (wih WBC & WBO); Anthony Mundine of Australia is the "regular" champ
  • Nate Campbell - WBA Undisputed Lightweight champ (with WBO & IBF); Yusuke Kobori of Japan just won the "regular" title from Nicaragua's Jose Alfaro last weekend
  • Christian Mijares - WBA Unified Super Flyweight champ (with WBC); the vacant "regular" title will be the one AJ Banal is going for

Hope that answers your question devondenom. For more info, look at the attached link. That is the WBA World Championships Regulations document. In page 13 you'll find the same thing I mentioned above. From page 9 to 13 you'll get more details.
http://www.wbaonline.com/legal/LegalSta ... nships.pdf

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Grammar_Stalker wrote:
devondenom wrote:

Here's how the WBA goes with its championship belts. If the WBA champion acquires another belt from the WBC, IBF and/or WBO then the "regular" WBA title is vacated. Here's how the WBA defines them:

• David Haye - WBA Unified Cruiserweight champ (with WBO; was Undisputed since March 2008 until he relinquished the WBC a couple of weeks ago; Firat Arslan of Germany is the "regular" champ
  • Joe Clazaghe - WBA Undisputed Super Middleweight champ (wih WBC & WBO); Anthony Mundine of Australia is the "regular" champ
  • Nate Campbell - WBA Undisputed Lightweight champ (with WBO & IBF); Yusuke Kobori of Japan just won the "regular" title from Nicaragua's Jose Alfaro last weekend
  • Christian Mijares - WBA Unified Super Flyweight champ (with WBC); the vacant "regular" title will be the one AJ Banal is going for

Hope that answers your question devondenom. For more info, look at the attached link. That is the WBA World Championships Regulations document. In page 13 you'll find the same thing I mentioned above. From page 9 to 13 you'll get more details.

Well, this clears up everything.

I would still like to propose they add the belts I suggested :lol:
How about if you get a WWE belt with your WBO belt :lol: Mayweather can try this ! 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm 
Middleweight

ycg wrote:
Well, this clears up everything.

I would still like to propose they add the belts I suggested :lol:
How about if you get a WWE belt with your WBO belt :lol: Mayweather can try this ! 8) :lol:

That's a good idea but only Mayweather fits the bill, so that'll be more like a strap-on than a belt :lol:
because he's too afraid to face Cotto or Margarito anyway. :bounce1:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:54 pm 
Heavyweight

Grammar_Stalker wrote:
devondenom wrote:

I got a question long time ago when Jermaine Taylor was undisputed champion and he fight hopkins instead of Abraham the IBF was stripped and why did the WBA strip him with his super champ belt if he still have his two belts the WBC and WBA?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:16 pm 
Cruiserweight

Grammar_Stalker wrote:
devondenom wrote:

Grammar_Stalker thanks for the clarification!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:36 pm 
Middleweight

Dagul_Denboy wrote:
I got a question long time ago when Jermaine Taylor was undisputed champion and he fight hopkins instead of Abraham the IBF was stripped and why did the WBA strip him with his super champ belt if he still have his two belts the WBC and WBA?

The Jermaine Taylor case was confusing not because of why he was stripped but more on when he was stripped. This might require further clarification from boxing experts who are more familiar with this case than me.

A specially classified champion (unified, undisputed or super champion) when stripped of any of the belts for not defending his title against the mandatory challenger, loses their special classification from WBA as well. Yeah, I know that's not fair but I assume they have a reason for that. Then, the WBA belt will be stripped as well if they don't defend it in 120 days. It seems like he was given more than 120 days until he was finally stripped. He retaines his WBO and WBC belt until losing it Kelly Pavlik last year.

The document I attached earlier will probably explain it better. See page 12.