Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Okay guys, the question is "Should we accept mediocrity, simply because someone is Filipino?".

Are we here on this site because we are Filipinos, or we are boxing fans.

How can we progress, if we always give a free pass because someone is a kababayan?

This is not a bait thread. I just want to know, when do we start looking at accountability? Example of course, is Randy Suico.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:49 pm 
Heavyweight

a simple NO

- stephen jay gould

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I concur pareng Erap, I think these are just one of the Filipino traits (too passive), I know I'm guilty of it sometimes, but if somebody wants to make something out of himself, and if that is his or her goal, then he should do whatever it takes to reach that goal, otherwise, why waste time training (as in boxing, or other sports) or waste money and time going to school if your not studying to get good grades.

Sometimes, force of habit I guess, I find myself saying "ok na yan sa kin" (thats fine with me) or "pabayaan mo na yan, Diyos na ang bahala" (just let it be, God will take care of it) but pondering about it, those are wrong answers. If you want to make something out of yourself, you have to get off your butt, and do something about it.

Good topic pareng Erap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:46 pm 
Heavyweight

If you call Randy's recent fight mediocre then I would definitely disagree with you.I know that Randy is a sluggish fighter but despite of this fact he wins most of his fights via the short route.Before this fight,we all believe that Randy has the best chance of beating his opponent because his got power and skills.He lost mainly because his opponent studied him well.His opponent capitalized on his weakness.I don't believe Randy fought a mediocre fight because he wasn't there on the top yet.It doesn't make sense.
Randy should improve more on this weakness to become a champion though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:50 pm 
Heavyweight

no.1fan wrote:
If you call Randy's recent fight mediocre then I would definitely disagree with you.I know that Randy is a sluggish fighter but despite of this fact he wins most of his fights via the short route.Before this fight,we all believe that Randy has the best chance of beating his opponent because his got power and skills.He lost mainly because his opponent studied him well.His opponent capitalized on his weakness.I don't believe Randy fought a mediocre fight because he wasn't there on the top yet.It doesn't make sense.
Randy should improve more on this weakness to become a champion though.

How much more does he need and how much time for him to become a champion against Corrales, Castillo, Raheem, Morales, Barrera and Pacquiao?

How many excuses do we need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:35 am 
Middleweight

"Accept mediocrity, simply because someone is a Filipino" has nothing to do with progress or success. It is perhaps an individual's choice and whatever a person's social or educational background he has. In Suico's case, his level of expertise, tactics and experience hasn't really gone up to the par or did not really match againts Jauregui's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:53 am 
Cruiserweight

I think you should adress that question to the boxer. They are the ones putting on a show for us and are performing for themselves. Should we as fans accept mediocrity? Depends if you paid for a ticket or not.

If you dont' want to accept a boxer for being mediocre, don't follow his fights, don't show up on his messageboards, and don't buy his events

If I'm his promoter, I'd be pissed becasue I put up money to advertise him. If I'm anybody else, I keep my mouth shut. These men put their life on the line so you can cheer your *** off. Appreciate that for what its worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:16 am 
Middleweight

Erap wrote:

How much more does he need and how much time for him to become a champion against Corrales, Castillo, Raheem, Morales, Barrera and Pacquiao?

erap, to answer your question about mediocrity, it's a NO, pinoy or not. we should always ask for the best ... problem is this .. what we perceive as mediocrity in suico is most likely due to improper training ... when i saw him, this being the first time, he was in tremendous shape, serious, no clowning, and taking the best shots ... now if he changes trainers and still does the things he does, then we can say he is mediocre. for me, until one has been given the chance to improve or excel, we cannot categorically blame this loss on mediocrity. let's give suico a chance ... he is still young and if what he knows in boxing is confined with poor trainers, then we get that, IF HE SO CHOOSES to change style and trainers, now that's different we should give him a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:40 am 
Light Heavyweight

Nope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:53 am 
Light Heavyweight

craulo wrote:
Erap wrote:

erap, to answer your question about mediocrity, it's a NO, pinoy or not. we should always ask for the best ... problem is this .. what we perceive as mediocrity in suico is most likely due to improper training ... when i saw him, this being the first time, he was in tremendous shape, serious, no clowning, and taking the best shots ... now if he changes trainers and still does the things he does, then we can say he is mediocre. for me, until one has been given the chance to improve or excel, we cannot categorically blame this loss on mediocrity. let's give suico a chance ... he is still young and if what he knows in boxing is confined with poor trainers, then we get that, IF HE SO CHOOSES to change style and trainers, now that's different we should give him a chance.

Very well put craulo, I couldn't have said it any better. :smoke:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:26 am 
Middleweight

:snoring: :snoring: Come on guys. Let us face the fact that Suico cannot be compared to the Pac-Man. He isn't there yet. He lost to a former champion who is 32 years old. If Suico has it what it takes to be a great fighter, he could have beaten that ex-champion. I have said he isn't there yet. But I don't know if he will ever gonna be "there" in the first place. At Suico's age, unless there is something in him that isn,t explored yet, time is running out for him. Get a new trainer, manager and a new attitude!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:51 am 
Lightweight

MASSOUD wrote:
"Accept mediocrity, simply because someone is a Filipino" has nothing to do with progress or success. It is perhaps an individual's choice and whatever a person's social or educational background he has. In Suico's case, his level of expertise, tactics and experience hasn't really gone up to the par or did not really match againts Jauregui's.

definitely this will hinder progress coz this will compromise the standard of success we are trying to set :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:57 am 
Cruiserweight

as Pinoy fight fans, all we can do is watch, cheer and hope for the best.

champions are made not born, so goes the cliche.

if for some, suico's show was mediocre then be it.
i don't think a boxer trains hard inorder to lose.
randy just ran into a fence he couldn't climb.
maybe he's just too hyped or he's not ready yet.
or he might not be as good as what we (fight fans) thought he is!

for me, the talent and power is there
but the heart and attitude is a question mark?
WTF, he just faked and feigned all night long!
SAYANG!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut!!Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:49 pm 
Middleweight

no...no...no... :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:05 pm 
Heavyweight

:banghead: na-ah!