Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: +++ PINOY GREATS ... +++
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:06 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
PINOY GREATS who had excelled in OTHER SPORTS / CAREERS / ENDEAVORS and ALIKE

PLS POST HERE ... and describe their achievements ...

Pls note:
General Sports
Please discuss here all other sports outside of boxing and basketball. Discussion should be generally in English.

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 am 
Heavyweight

Pinay takes helm of US naval command
By Gina Tabonares-Reilly (The Philippine Star) | Updated October 26, 2014 - 12:00am

Rear Admiral Bette Bolivar

GUAM – One of the few females holding a high-ranking position in the United States Navy is a Filipino.

Born in Hawaii to Filipino parents, US Navy Rear Admiral Bette Bolivar was raised in a traditional Filipino family.

“Ang tatay ko ay taga Bicol at ang nanay ko ay taga Pangasinan (My father is from Bicol and my mother hails from Pangasinan),” Bolivar told The STAR in fluent Filipino.

Bolivar came from humble beginnings, the second of four children of Teddy Sereno Bolivar and Virginia Dolor Bolivar. Her father joined the US Navy as a steward and retired as a chief petty officer after 22 years in the service.

The first woman to assume the position of Commander Joint Region Marianas, Bolivar also holds the distinction of being the first female commander of Navy Region Northwest.

She is also the first woman to hold a number of other important positions. She is the US Defense Representative for Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of Palau, and Commander of Naval Forces Marianas.

Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
As US Defense Representative for the Marianas Region, Bolivar reports to Admiral Samuel Locklear, Commander of US Pacific Command, and Admiral William French, Commander of Naval Installation Command. She also plays an important role in the Joint Interagency Task Force as Commander of Task Force West.

Bolivar’s area of responsibility includes the US territory of Guam, which is the closest US naval base to Philippines. Her command plays a pivotal role in shaping US policy in the Asia Pacific region, particularly in the face of President’s Obama’s “pivot” to the Asia Pacific.

Wearing daddy’s hat

As a young child, Bolivar would tag along when her father went to work on military bases. She had fun wearing her daddy’s Navy hat, but in those days she had no idea that someday she would wear the same hat with the same great pride.

Her early exposure to the military community played a huge part in her career choice, but she thought of joining the service as payback for giving her father the opportunity to become a member of the US Navy.

“My father didn’t serve as a warrior like me. Back in those days, Filipinos, African Americans and Chamorros could only enter the service as a steward or cook. I feel like I have to give back to the Navy because they gave my father a chance,” she said.

Although her father inspired her, Bolivar said the decision to join the Navy was her own and was not something imposed by her parents.

Her older sister has a career outside of the military in Hawaii while her two younger brothers both served in the Navy. One is now a veteran and the other a retired senior chief petty officer residing in Annapolis.

She said her father used to call her the “tomboy” of the family because her parents wanted a boy as a second child. At that time, ultrasound was not available to determine a child’s gender but their doctor kept telling her father that their next baby would be a boy because the heartbeat was so strong.

She confessed she knew early on that she would be in the military like her father, but this early vision was almost sidetracked by the thought of studying law at the University of Hawaii.

However, an overheard conversation set her off on a military career. One night she was listening to the conversation of her father and her younger brother at the dinner table while she was washing the dishes.

“I was eavesdropping and I could hear my dad telling my younger brother that the best path to the Navy is through the Naval Academy. The next day I went to the naval base and talked to an officer who explained to me the process. I found out it was a hard process. You need to be nominated by a state individual, they will evaluate everything including your grades. I told the officer that I still want to get the application. I filled up the paper work and took it home. I told my parents the next day that I wanted to go. When I asked my parents to sign my application, they looked at me and asked: ‘Anak (child) are you sure you want to do this?’ I said: Absolutely! They didn’t sign it right away because they wanted me to sleep on it, they thought that maybe they had forced it upon me. But I already made up my mind, and I want to see if I would be accepted,” Bolivar recalled.

Bolivar was so determined that she had decided that if she couldn’t make it to the Naval Academy she would enlist to join the Navy.

Her perseverance was tested in the academy, not because she was a woman but because the four-year training and education for future Navy officers was difficult and rigorous.

Bolivar graduated from Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in Oceanography. She later completed her Master of Science in Management from Troy State University.

Her first tour was as fleet and message center officer of the US Naval Communication Station in San Miguel, Philippines. She recorded remarkable achievements in various positions, including assignments in explosive ordnance disposal, diving and salvaging units, specialties normally held by men.

As special operations officer, Bolivar served as the director of ammunition offload from USS Cole after the 2000 terrorist attack in Yemen. She became the fourth woman to take command of a Navy diving and salvage ship when she was assigned as the commanding officer of USS Salvor and led her crew through a six-month Western Pacific deployment.

Graduating from the Naval Academy, Bolivar knew that she wanted to be a diver. However, for every four or five openings for men to become a diver there is only one reserved for a woman.

The first time she applied, she wasn’t accepted, and her perseverance was tested when she was rejected a second time.

“I kept applying and applying, and they kept saying no. I was very persistent. I told myself if they don’t accept me on my third application I would try something else,” she said. Fortunately, she made it on her third try.

In 2001, she was inducted into the Women Divers Hall of Fame, the international honor society of divers who made outstanding contributions to the exploration, understanding, safety and enjoyment of the underwater world.

Bolivar’s passion for diving gave her one of her most memorable and challenging assignments. As the commanding officer of USS Salvor, her vessel and crew were tasked to stop in Guam and recover/clear stranded vessels in and around Apra Harbor after Typhoon Paka devastated the harbor and the island.

Great crew, great mentors

Bolivar has received numerous medals, awards and commendations, including the prestigious CNO Pacific Fleet Finalist for the Vice Admiral James Stockdale Leadership Award.

She has a couple of favorite awards but the one she really holds close to her heart is a letter of appreciation from a commanding officer when she was a young message center officer at the US Naval Communications Station in San Miguel.

“It was neat to be able to have somebody so senior to say thank you for doing what you did. I think that letter of appreciation was cool. It was not so much about the award, it is the fact that somebody very senior took the time to say thank you, and it made a huge impact on me as a young sailor. I remember it very well so whenever I can, whether it is through an award or an email, I take time to say thank you to my team members. It only takes two seconds to write a note. It meant a lot to me, so I think that it will mean a lot to them too,” Bolivar said.

What Bolivar lacks in size she makes up for with boundless energy and an immense but humble heart. She refuses to take credit for her success and always cites her team in all accomplishments. While she may be at the helm, it is the team that runs the ship.

“To get to a position like this you have to work hard, and I do, but I attribute my current status not so much to myself but more to the folks who I worked alongside with. I have been blessed in all my assignments, whether I was a member of the unit, a ship or in command, I always had great people to assist me, and I had great mentors,” she said.

If handling explosives and salvaging vessels in the deep ocean constitutes fun for Bolivar, it is interesting to know what frightens her.

“I am not afraid of anything like handling explosives or diving. My biggest fear is probably a failure. I am afraid to let the team down, I do not want to disappoint the community. I do not want to disappoint my bosses and my parents,” she said.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/10/26/1384525/pinay-takes-helm-us-naval-command

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:08 am 
Heavyweight

Ronald Ravelo: First Fil-Am to take helm of US aircraft carrier
Published 11:42 PM, August 09, 2014

Captain Ronald Ravelo, a son of a retired US Navy chief from the Philippines, becomes the commander of the USS Abraham Lincoln

NEW COMMANDER. Captain Ronald Ravelo is the first Filipino-American to lead a carrier in the history of the United States Navy. Photos courtesy of AFP Photo/US Navy and NavSource

MANILA, Philippines – For the first time in the history of the United States Navy, a Filipino-American service member will take the helm of a carrier.

Captain Ronald Ravelo, a son of a retired US Navy chief from the Philippines, became the commander of the USS Abraham Lincoln on Thursday, August 7, the independent military news portal Stars and Stripes reported.

Although he expressed pride he will lead about 2,500 service members, Ravelo noted he does not "feel like I'm anymore special than any other officer."

Before he read his orders as the new commander of the Lincoln, Ravelo took a "selfie" photo to the delight of the audience that included young sailors who can relate with the social media craze.

The guest speaker, Rear Admiral Troy Shoemaker, pointed out that Ravelo's father, Ben, was proud of him.

Ben Ravelo, who was with the Philippine Navy, left the Philippines to serve in a country whose language he did not even know.

Unprecedented

Ravelo replaced his brother-in-law, Captain Karl Thomas – another unprecedented change of command for the US Navy, according to the Stars and Stripes. The wife of Thomas, Jennifer, is the sister of Ravelo.

Shoemaker, according to the Stars and Stripes, joked, "With the two principals related by marriage, this is a first for me and probably our Navy, which makes today's ceremony even more special and allowed the families to plan a twofer, a change of command and a summer family reunion."

Thomas said of Ravelo: "I'm extremely proud of my relief. I know him pretty darn well."

Thomas will steer another carrier, the USS Carl Vinson, which is set to be deployed from San Diego within the month of August.

The Lincoln, which is undergoing maintenance at the Newport News Shipbuilding, is expected to set sail again in 2017.

"This crew will give you 110%. They are hungry to return the Abraham Lincoln to sea and to her mission," Thomas assured his successor.

The new commander said, "There is plenty of work still to be done." –

http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/balikbayan/trailblazers/65748-first-fil-am-command-united-states-navy-ship

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:14 am 
Heavyweight

The First Filipina to fly the F-16 of the elite US Air Force
— September 1, 2015

What men do, women also can.”

This notion is common when talking about women empowerment. Well, another Filipina woman has proved this right again.

Thirty-three year-old Capt. Monessa Catuncan, a former resident in Pasay City and Olongapo City in the Philippines was recently recognized by the Asian Journal for her phenomenal performance of flying United States’ F-16 Fighter Plane. The said plane was described to be a “state-of-the-art” aircraft by Manila Wire.

Capt. Catuncan was the first Filipina to earn the privilege and honor to fly the said fighter plane commonly called “Viper”. The Viper was not just an ordinary plane as it has been used in many air-combats and has been one of US’ superb planes that fought during wars. It has been considered as a high-performance weapon for the US and allied nations for it was able to transcend other known aircrafts. Its weapons can even still be precisely used even under bad weather conditions.

The Viper was carrying combat missions in Iraq as a representative from the United States Air Force (USAF). The fact that the plane was too complicated meant that only excellent and and equipped pilots are allowed to handle it; Capt. Catuncan, being one.

Before getting where she is now, Capt. Catuncan also dreamed and made her way to success just like anybody else. While still in her second year in at Mesquite High School, Texas, Catuncan was inspired to become an astronaut by the movie – Armageddon. At that very moment, her father, Ramon Catuncan explained to her how much of a hardwork and perseverance she has to exert before realizing her young ambition.

Amazingly, young Monessa was not disheartened. Instead, she did well with her studies and graduated Valedictorian in her High School in 2000. Even before she graduated, Monessa already captured the attention of the Coast Guard and was invited to Connecticut and be a helicopter pilot in 1999. She grabbed the opportunity and went to Connecticut. However, after two weeks, she realized she was not contented with flying helicopter. Instead, she wanted to fly a real plane

Taking her next step, Monessa enrolled herself in US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and studied aeronautical engineering. She took the Undergraduate Pilot Training, excelled, and eventually graduated. Determined to reach her ambition, Monessa topped as a student-plot in her class.

Monessa’s flying career started to bloom then. She was offered to fly either a fighter or a bomber aircraft. Monessa did not just settled there. She went to Moody Air Force, Laughlin Air Force Base and Sheppard Air Force Base where she learned all the theories and developed her skills as a pilot. Although learning all the techniques of controlling a fighter plane required a really tough training, Monessa still conquered the stressful situations she had been through.

Reaping her hardwork’s fruits, Monessa finally got what she wanted – to fly F-16 Falcon, among the numerous aircrafts offered to her. She went to Luke Air Force Base in Arizona to practice flying the F-16 or Viper, as commonly known, and of course, graduated with flying colors. What makes her more amazing was that she was the only woman in her group and the only Filipino to pass the course.

As a kickoff of her ‘real’ pilot career in 2014, Monessa was sent to Iraq with the 34th Fighter Squadron as a USAF 2nd Lieutenant. Just this year, she was promoted as a Captain and was assigned in Utah’s Hill Air Force Base.

After all Capt. Catuncan’s hard work and perseverance, she finally earned not only the F-16 Falcon, but also the honor of serving her countrymen. She also has brought honor to the Filipino race and flag as a Filipina who made it through a tough way, and and inspiration to every person who has big dream

http://pinoystory.com/first-filipina/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Rafael "Paeng" Nepomuceno (born January 30, 1957 in Manila) is a Filipino world bowling champion regarded as one of the greatest bowlers of his time. He holds three Guinness Records: one for being the youngest Bowling World Cup champion at 19; another for winning the greatest number of Bowling World Cups; and lastly for the most tenpin bowling titles in a career with 118.

Achievements

Nepomuceno has won 118 titles, the most notable of which are the bowling World Cups he won in Iran in 1976, in Indonesia in 1980, in France in 1992, and in Northern Ireland in 1996. Nepomuceno also won the International Tournament championship in Las Vegas, Nevada in 1984 and the World Tenpin Masters championship in London, England in 1999. On October 4, 2002, Nepomuceno won a gold medal together with RJ Bautista in bowling's double event for men at the Asian Games held in Busan, South Korea. His most recent individual victory was in the 2007 South Pacific Classic, Australia’s most prestigious bowling tournament.

Nepomuceno is the only bowler who has received the prestigious International Olympic Committee President's Trophy and was the first enshrined in the International Bowling Hall of Fame in St. Louis, Missouri in 1993. In November 1999, the Fédération Internationale des Quilleurs (FIQ) named Paeng as the "International Bowling Athlete of the Millennium."

In a ceremony held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, an FIQ official cited Paeng with these words: "No international bowling athlete is more deserving of recognition than Paeng. In addition to his long list of well-known achievements as a world champion in three decades, Paeng truly has been and continues to be an extraordinary ambassador for Filipino sport."

In 2007, Nepomuceno was designated as an ambassador of goodwill by the United Nations. He travelled to Italy (along with his wife Pinky, managing director of Puyat Sports) to watch the first ever Paeng Nepomuceno Cup bowling tournament, held from July 12-17 at the Loreto Bowling Center in Milan. Over a hundred bowling enthusiasts from all over Italy entered the tournament. Nepomuceno also conducted a bowling clinic as part of a week-long event arranged by the Filipino Bowlers Club of Milan and the Philippine Consulate General. [1]

In 2009, Nepomuceno was conferred the Mort Luby Jr. Distinguished Service Award by international tenpin bowling journalists World Bowling Writers. [2] He also won the Sportsman Award of the 45th 45th Qubica AMF Bowling World Cup in Melaka, Malaysia.

http://www.fgil.wikipilipinas.org/index.php/Paeng_Nepomuceno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Efren Reyes (born 26 August 1954) is a Filipino professional pool player from Angeles City. He is a two-time world champion and is considered as one of the all-time greats in the games of nine-ball and one-pocket. He is often known by his nickname "Bata", and is also referred to as "The Magician" for his superb skill at the pool table.

Early life

He was born in Mexico, Pampanga in 1954 and moved to Manila with his family, at the age of 5. In Manila, he worked as a billiards attendant at his uncle's billiards hall. In there, he started learning the various cue sports. As he was not tall enough to reach the pool table, he played while standing on Coca-cola cases. He is called Bata, the Filipino word for “Kid”, as there was another older player named Efren. To distinguish between the two, he was called Efren Bata.
Career

He played for money at a young age. In the sixties and seventies, he played carambole or cushion billiards. After winning many tournaments, promoters have discovered him and gave him the opportunity to compete in big tournaments.

After winning a number of tournaments in the US, Europe and in parts of Asia, he started gaining attention and recognition worldwide. By the mid-1990s, he was one of the elite players of the Philippines along Jose Parica and Francisco Bustamante.

He soon became a notable player in the game of nine-ball. He also possessed a masterful skill in straight pool (14.1) and regarded as the best 14.1 player. In 1995, he dominated the Maine 14.1 Event and bested well-known players, Jim Rempe and Earl Strickland.

He didn't win and had to settle for third when he competed in the US Open 14.1 in 2000. He however conquered notable players such as Oliver Ortmann, Thomas Engert and Mike Sigel. He made an impressive run of 141.

In 1994, Reyes defeated Nick Varner in the finals and won the US Open nine-ball Championship. For a number of years, he was the only non-American to ever won the event.

After a couple of years, Reyes and Strickland faced each other in an event called the Color of Money. It was a 3-day-race-to-120 challenge match of 9-ball. Reyes won the match 120-117, which was held in Hong Kong, and took the prize of US 100,000.

Reyes was the first to win the WPA World 9-ball Championship on television in 1999. In 2001, he won the International Billiard Tournament held in Tokyo, Japan. Over 700 players joined the tournament to win the total purse of JPY 100,000,000 or USD 850,000. Reyes dominated the event by besting Niels Feijen in the finals 15-7 and earned JPY 20,000,000.

In 2003, he was inducted into the Billiard Congress of America's Hall of Fame. In 2004, he bested Marlon Manalo 11-8 and became the first-ever WPA World Eight Ball Champion. In December 2005, he won the IPT King of the Hill 8-Ball Shootout and won USD 200,000. He defeated Hall of Fame member Mike “the Mouth” Sigel two sets to none (8-0 and 8-5).

In 2006, he and Francisco “Django” Bustamante represented the country and captured the inaugural World Cup of Pool at Newport, South Wales, United Kingdom. He also won the IPT World Open 8-Ball Championship over Rodney Morris 8-6 and earned USD 500,000.

As a player in professional pool, he was known to have won a number of tournaments worldwide which makes him one of the most profitable players around. He topped the AZ Billiards Money List 5 times: 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006. In 2006, he set a record by earning USD 646,000 in a single year.

In 2003, Reyes was featured in the movie Pakners with the late Fernando Poe, Jr..
In the 2005 South East Asian Games he was appointed as the Philippine Sports Ambassador alongside some of the Philippines' greatest athletes like Allan Caidic and Rafael Nepomuceno.

http://www.fgil.wikipilipinas.org/index.php/Efren_Reyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Salvador del Rosario, a nephew of Olympian Rodrigo del Rosario, was declared the world's strongest man in the flyweight division when he plucked a gold medal in the World Weightlifting Championships held in Columbus, Ohio, USA in 1970. Del Rosario actually won the title by technicality because three of his top rivals were disqualified for using illegal drugs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Wow, the first three are just awesome. Go, Pinoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:47 pm 
Featherweight

http://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/gadgets-and-tech/08/02/15/pinay-scientist-creates-lamp-runs-saltwater

Pinay scientist creates lamp that runs on saltwater
Rhys Buccat, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at Aug 02 2015 04:43 PM | Updated as of Dec 24 2015 12:01 PM

?Aisa Mijeno, CEO, co-founder and inventor of SALt lamp. Handout photo
MANILA – “To light up the rest of the Philippines sustainably” was the vision of Filipina scientist Aisa Mijeno when she made the Sustainable Alternative Lighting (SALt) lamp.
The SALt Lamp is an environment-friendly and sustainable alternative light source that runs on saltwater, making it suitable to those who live in coastal areas.
It can also function well in remote barrios. With just two table spoons of salt and one glass of tap water, this ecologically designed lamp can run for eight hours.
“It is made of tediously experimented and improved chemical compounds, catalysts, and metal alloys that when submerged in electrolytes will generate electricity,” Mijeno explained in an interview with ABS-CBN.
Because of its inspiring vision and ground-breaking innovation, the SALt lamp has received various awards and recognition from organizations in the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, and South Korea.

It has also won in several competitions here and abroad.

Aisa Mijeno receives the Kotra Award at the Startup Nations Summit 2014 in South Korea. Handout photo
Safe alternative to traditional lamps
According to Mijeno, the idea behind the SALt lamp is the chemical conversion of energy. It utilizes the scientific process behind the Galvanic cell, but instead of electrolytes, the SALt lamp uses saline solution, making it harmless and non-toxic.
Compared with kerosene lamp, the SALt lamp is also a lot safer, Mijeno stressed since it does not have components and compounds that may spark fire. Moreover, it does not emit toxic gases and leaves minimal carbon footprint.
“This isn’t just a product. It’s a social movement,” she said.

Although the SALt lamp is not yet being mass-produced, Mijeno and her team have been working intensively with non-government organizations (NGOs), local government units (LGUs), and charitable foundations, among others.
These organizations aid in the purchase and distribution of the SALt lamps to remote communities where electricity is scarce, or worse, not available.
A sustainable light for the Philippines

A family in the province relies on a kerosene lamp. Handout photo
Mijeno said that her experience working with an environmental organization made her realize the need for an alternative source of light, especially in rural areas of the Philippines.
“I used to be part of Greenpeace Philippines and did personal immersions/volunteers across rural communities, and there I learned so many things. Most of these people are so poor and underprivileged that they endure long hours of walking just to get kerosene for their lamps,” Mijeno recalled.

Currently, for every SALt lamp that is bought, one lamp is given to a selected family.
“Our main focus is on the island communities that do not have access to electricity and have no financial capacity for acquiring alternative source of electricity,” Mijeno added

T.Paine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:05 pm 
Heavyweight

astig yung mga nasa armed forces ng us :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 pm 
Featherweight

Pinoy Who Invented a Fan Without the Use of Electricity Needs Support

Ramon Salba called his invention “Sal Fan” – a fan that runs without the use of electricity.

Sal Fan uses only several guitar strings to operate. It has mechanisms that makes it continues to run. Salba says his invention could help everyone curb down their electric bills, but he faces bigger challenge.

He needs support and funds in order to bring his invention to the next level.

“This fan doesn’t need electricity to run. You can bring this machine anywhere you want to go”, Salba said on the video interview by AbsCbn.

Watch the video below and see what you think of his invention.

[YouTube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0G1qYlyVgkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

It is not clear if Salba already contacted the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), or if he already applied for patent for his invention.

T.Paine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Jaclyn Jose

Filipina actress Jaclyn Jose poses after she was awarded with the Best Actress prize during a photocall at 69th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France, on May 22, 2016. AFP

Mary Jane Santa Ana Guck, is better known by her stage name Jaclyn Jose (born March 16, 1964) and known for her memorable roles in the films, Salome, White Slavery, and Santa Juana, is a versatile Filipino cinematic and television actress who has earned critical acclaim from both local and foreign award-giving bodies.

Jose's work includes Sana Ay Ikaw Na Nga in 2002 and Te Amo in 2004. Her series Zorro aired on GMA Network. She has starred in the soaps Babalik Kang Muli and Nagsimula sa Puso.

She and actor Mark Gil are the parents of Andi Eigenmann. She is of German American descent.

Jose is also known for her notable works with actors Juan Rodrigo both in TV and film adaptations of the Primetime Soap Opera, Mula Sa Puso as the iconic Magda and 80's films such as "Hati Tayo Sa Magdamag" (VIVA Films) and White Slavery (directed by Lino Brocka) and Anne Curtis in Dyosa in 2008 and A Secret Affair.

In 2016, Jose starred in Brillante Mendoza's Palme d'Or-nominated film Ma' Rosa where she won the Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress. Jose was the first Southeast Asian to be conferred with the award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaclyn_Jose

PH's Jaclyn Jose wins best actress at Cannes

read more: http://www.rappler.com/entertainment/news/133923-jaclyn-jose-wins-best-actress-cannes-film-festival-2016-ma-rosa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Ramon Felix Totengco, more popularly known as Rafé Totengco, is a New York-based Filipino fashion designer who specializes in women’s handbags, shoes, and small leather goods, and men’s bags and accessories. In the late 1990s and through the 2000s, he garnered a number of awards for his designs.

Career
He grew up in Bacolod City, Philippines. Even in elementary school, he began modifying his school uniform and going to tailors to have new clothes made for himself and his friends and family. Most Filipino fashionistas remember Rafé for Schizo, a clothing and accessories business under Sari-sari store. He was only 18 then and with no formal training in fashion. To expand his horizons and gain experience in the fashion industry, he went to New York where he enrolled in FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) evening school in fashion while supporting himself as a design assistant.

In 1996, he produced his first accessories (skinny mod belts) for a SoHo boutique. One year later, the first collection of Rafé New York handbags debuted at Bergdorf Goodman. Since then, Rafé has worked in New York City. He started Rafé Studio Ltd., in 2000 and Rafé products are now distributed at department stores and boutiques worldwide, as well as through his own ECommerce site, and select online shopping sites.

The Rafé collections have broadened over the years to include women’s handbags, shoes, and small leather goods, as well as men’s bags and accessories. Recently, Rafé was asked by Target as the first designer to create a capsule accessory collection for this mass retailer. In 2010 Rafé Totengco was appointed by The Jones Group Inc. (now Nine West Group Inc.) to the position of Creative Director for Handbags, to work with others across the Company to create a compelling product vision for Jones'/NWG's handbag brands. His responsibilities include creating products for the retail, wholesale and international divisions.

Awards and recognition

1996: Fresh Faces in Fashion Award Gen Art Foundation
1997: The "Ten Best" Award - ENK International
1998: Membership Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA)
1999: Finalist: Perry Ellis Accessory Design Award - CFDA
2000: Rising Star Award - Fashion Group International (FGI)
2001: Best Accessories Designer (ACE Award) - Accessories Council
2002: Ten Outstanding Young Men - Philippine Jaycees
2005: Entrepreneurship Award - Filipinas Magazine
2007: Asian Entrepreneur of the Year - Asian Enterprise Magazine
2008 - Voted one of "50 Outstanding Asian Americans in Business" by the Asian American Business Development Center
2010 - Received the "Pamana ng Filipino" Presidential Award for Filipino Individuals Overseas for bringing his home country honor and recognition through excellence and distinction in his profession in international fashion design.
2013 - Independent Handbag Designer Awards Iconoclast Recipient for Lifetime Achievement in Handbag Design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raf%C3%A9_Totengco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Mikee Cojuangco

Mikaela María Antonia "Mikee" de los Reyes Cojuangco-Jaworski (born February 26, 1974) is a Filipino equestrianne, local television host and actress. She was a gold medalist at the 2002 Asian Games in Busan, South Korea.

Early life
Cojuangco-Jaworski was born to Jose Cojuangco, Jr., former Congressman of Tarlac and Tingting Cojuangco, former Governor of Tarlac and now president of the Philippine Public Safety College. Her father is from the Cojuangco family of Tarlac in Central Luzon who owns a 6,000-hectare sugar plantation known as Hacienda Luisita. She is also the niece of former Philippine President Corazon Cojuangco-Aquino, first cousin of fellow actress Kris Aquino and current Philippine President Noynoy Aquino.

Mikee is the third of five daughters: Luisita C. Bautista, Josephine C. Guingona, Margarita Demetria C. Zini and Regina Patricia Jose Cojuangco.

Equestrian and acting career
Cojuangco-Jaworski started to show interest in riding at age eight but was only allowed to take lessons by her parents when she turned 10. At the age of 16, she joined her first international competition at Shizuoka, Japan where she placed third in the individual show jumping. Her most significant victory was at the 2002 Asian Games in Busan, South Korea, at which she won the Philippines' third and last gold medal in the individual show jumping event.

She was later appointed as the flag bearer at the 2010 Asian Games despite not competing at the Games.

Cojuangco-Jaworski is a high school alumna of the Colegio San Agustin in Makati City. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from Ateneo de Manila University in 1996. That same year, Cojuangco starred in her most successful movie ever, DoReMi, alongside Donna Cruz and Regine Velasquez.

Cojuangco-Jaworski is also an actress and a commercial model. She is married to Pasig City congressman Robert "Dodot" Jaworski, Jr., son of basketball player, senator Robert "Sonny" Jaworski. They have three sons named Robert Vincent Anthony III (Robbie), Rafael Joseph (Raf) and Renzo Mikael.

Cojuangco-Jaworski starred in the fantasy soap opera Magic Palayok aired on GMA Network.

On May 23, 2013, CEO of Goshen Land Capital, Inc, Alexander Bangsoy, announced that Cojuango-Jaworski will be the firm's celebrity endorser. Goshen Land Capital, Inc. is a Baguio-based real estate organization engaged in the development of residential subdivisions in prime locations in Baguio.

She became an IOC member at the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikee_Cojuangco-Jaworski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Lydia de Vega

Lydia de Vega-Mercado (born December 12, 1964 who is a retired athlete from the Philippines, was considered Asia's fastest woman in the 1980s.

Athletic career
De Vega first made an impact at the 1981 SEA Games held in Manila with gold medal performances in the 200 and 400 meter events exceeding records set at the Asian Games. As Asia's sprint queen, she ran away with the gold medal in the 100-meter dash in the 1982 New Delhi Asiad[2] and duplicated the feat in the 1986 Seoul Asiad where she clocked 11.53 seconds.

De Vega won the gold in the 100 meters at the Southeast Asian Games (1987, 1991 and 1993). She also topped the 200 meter event in 1981, 1983, 1987 and 1993. She has twice won both the 100 and 200 meter golds in the Asian Athletics Championships - 1983 and 1987. She holds both Philippine and Southeast Asian records with her personal best of 11.28 seconds.

De Vega was a two-time Olympian, represented the Philippines at the 1984 and 1988 Summer Olympics.

She also brought home a silver medal in the 200-meter race from the 1986 Seoul Asiad, and has once represented a friend for the Long Jumps and broke her record.[citation needed]

In 1989 until 1991, De Vega took a break from athletics. During this period she got a degree and got married. She entered the 1991 Asian Athletics Championships and made a decent finish of seventh place.

The sprinter retired after competing at the track and field event of the 1994 Manila-Fujian Games held in October. She won the 100m event. She announced that she would not be competing at the upcoming edition of the Philippine National Games at that time.

Later life
De Vega served as a councilor of her native Meycauayan town in Bulacan province. In early 2005, she was appointed as a liaison officer of the Alliance of Coaches and Athletes of the Philippines with the Philippine Sports Commission.

In December 2005, De Vega went to Singapore after receiving three job offers from Singaporean private schools to handle athletics. She is now coaching young athletes in Singapore.

Personal life
De Vega is married to Paul Mercado, a former engineer at Meralco and an entrepreneur engaged in fish pond business,to whom she had four children including Stephanie who is a former collegiate volleyball player of the DLSU Lady Spikers. In February 2001, John Michael died due to a car accident who was four years old at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_de_Vega