Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:21 am 
Lightweight

As what one of the commentators said during MP's fight "Manny has one of the best one-two punch in the ring" but he has to do a little effort of adding more puches than 1-2. He can do it all out comboing but he has to do it accurately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:24 am 
Heavyweight

A weakness that is always mentioned is his getting countered after a power left. What are ways to address this? Maybe using the left instead at times to set up for a power right to confuse his opponent? He has shown he can really hurt with either hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:53 am 
Light Heavyweight

One improvement I noticed is his focus. When taunted by HV in the first round he did not lose his cool, and even when he pumped his two fists together which is usually the sign when he gets angry, he did not plunged head-on right away but kept his cool and maintain focused. It would have been disastrous had he responded carelessly into HV's taunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:59 am 
Middleweight

1st and 2nd rounds, I thought Manny become very slow...

Now he is no longer that bara-bara style...he knows to study his opponent...

Did you notice that MANILA ICE? right uppercut, right hook and right jab?

sometimes he make some lateral movement...but when he's very aggressive...he got open defense...easily countered by right hook...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:17 am 

This fight showed some improvements in MP's arsenal like his right uppercut and his counter combos.

His defense was sloppy but was there. He caught a lot of Hectors punches with his mitts. He used his lateral movement usually after throwing a punch and when in a clinch, you can see his face facing sideways against Hector's face as not to get a cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:14 pm 
Lightweight

Congrats PACMAN!!!!

what I like about pacman is that now he learns how to study his opponents first before unleashing his lethal blows. He knows now how to plan his attack and set his opponents for a crashing blow. I really like the right uppercut and the right hook that he developed!!!!! WHOooWW Go pacman!!!!

More defense next time dude! But overall youre! FANTASTIC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:43 pm 
Light Heavyweight

PolgasUnlimited wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
withanf wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
well...i saw alot of interesting things in that fight...the defense was in its usual SLOPPY form ALTHOUGH it was quite surprising to see PAC actually throwing COUNTER COMBOS...it was nice to also see LATERAL movement...he started off slow but gained steam and it ended up becoming target practice...THAT is how he should dispose of a ten loss tune-up...

the thing that got us truly hyped was how PAC used his right hook to stagger velasquez...it should give PAC more confidence to throw that right hand...

Yeah, the counters surprised me as well. Maybe it was because Velazquez was so slow, that he could actually see them and plan for the counter. Those rights were being used as leads, as well. That was surprising, too. The nice thing about his right hook is that it is fairly controlled. If you looked at the hook that staggered HV, Manny timed it as he was coming in. You're right about the sloppy defense, though.

-F

yea bro...i was very happy to see PAC incorporate hooks to the body, uppercuts and different angles in that fight...lets not get too carried away since it was HV but there were some nice things goin on in his attack...

you are right pound. i will reserve my judgement after Pac beat tall and bigger Morales. i would like to see if Pac will be able to neutralize Morales stiff jabs.

P4P, no way am I getting carried away with this fight, lol. Pog, you're right about this one, EM will be the litmus test. If he wins that, then I'll get carried away...maybe even literally.

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:47 pm 
Light Heavyweight

PolgasUnlimited wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
withanf wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
well...i saw alot of interesting things in that fight...the defense was in its usual SLOPPY form ALTHOUGH it was quite surprising to see PAC actually throwing COUNTER COMBOS...it was nice to also see LATERAL movement...he started off slow but gained steam and it ended up becoming target practice...THAT is how he should dispose of a ten loss tune-up...

the thing that got us truly hyped was how PAC used his right hook to stagger velasquez...it should give PAC more confidence to throw that right hand...

Yeah, the counters surprised me as well. Maybe it was because Velazquez was so slow, that he could actually see them and plan for the counter. Those rights were being used as leads, as well. That was surprising, too. The nice thing about his right hook is that it is fairly controlled. If you looked at the hook that staggered HV, Manny timed it as he was coming in. You're right about the sloppy defense, though.

-F

yea bro...i was very happy to see PAC incorporate hooks to the body, uppercuts and different angles in that fight...lets not get too carried away since it was HV but there were some nice things goin on in his attack...

you are right pound. i will reserve my judgement after Pac beat tall and bigger Morales. i would like to see if Pac will be able to neutralize Morales stiff jabs.

P4P, no way am I getting carried away with this fight, lol. Pog, you're right about this one, EM will be the litmus test. If he wins that, then I'll get carried away...maybe even literally.

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:51 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Overall, I liked what I saw from Pac in this fight... Was freakin holding my breath in the first two rounds...

I liked how Pac fought moving backwards... Anybody notice that? Never seen him do that before..
BTW, Paclanders I saw all of yous but was too shy to approach you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 pm 
Middleweight

The biggest change was that Manny fought with more variety and was more calm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:02 pm 
Lightweight

great ovservations from all of you boxing fans. i guess i have nothing to add. i hope that pacman starts training early for the eric morales rematch to avoid craming and at the same time focus must be 100 percent.

one more thing, now that gary shaw is manny's new promotor, i hope that during his preparation for eric morales fight, gary shaw (which happens to be diego corrales' manager also) brings diego "chico" corrales to be a sparring partner of pacman, since chico will have his rematch on october 8 against castillo. eric morales had the trouble of beating lightweights shown by his loss to raheem, and diego is a lightweight champion. Therefore sparring with the likes of "chico" will strengthen pacman more to beat morales.

Post subject: Nothing substantial
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:05 pm 
Cruiserweight

There's no substantial change in Manny's style or technique. The only noticeable change is Manny starting off the block a tad slow. He's kind of like "feeling" off his opponent first. In doing so, he got licked a number of times. That means his defense is still questionable.

Also, if you hadn't notice Manny was breathing from his mouth early on. Take a close look of that faithful 6th round; he throws his lethal punch with his mouth open as if gasping for air. Very unlikely of him. As before, he was gritting his teeth every time he throws his bombs away. But not last night. This only goes to show that he was not in tip top condition.

Let us hope that he will report on time when he starts his training for Morales rematch.

By the way, him, Freddie and Gary have already mopped up a plan for his training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 pm 
Welterweight

COngrats idol hehehhee, no comment na muna, saka na lang pag confirm na rematch nila ni EM... but i think sawsaw d2 barrera-peden winner... baka yun makakalaban ni pacman...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:46 pm 
Middleweight

PolgasUnlimited wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
withanf wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

-F

Same here, Polgas. It's Erik's stiff jab that I would like Manny to get past over. I believe that was Manny's biggest obstacle during their fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:31 am 
Light Heavyweight

Also how can you guys not notice an obviously major improvement in Manny... HIS ENGLISH!!! pretty impressive.. and I bet Raheem "the king" Raheem is pretty pissed off at Manny... Manny called himself "the king of the ring" whish was Raheem was suppose to say.. Manny beat him to it.. hahaha... :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next