Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:52 am 
Heavyweight

what i noticed is his uppercut...
man its good!
is that the manila ice or his manila ice is his colds! :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:07 am 
Welterweight

One thing that really got my attention was how Manny avoided head collisions.

If you guys noticed, in the early rounds, Velasquez was always waiting for the power left, bend his head a little bit and wait for the clash of the head, then counter with his overhand right.

This was the same tactic that EM used. Who knows, it could be accidental, or maybe not.

But this guy Velasquez was doing it intentionally. And this bothered Manny a bit. Manny eventually adjusted. I was jumping up and down when I saw Manny docking his head after giving a hard shot.

Yes, Manny is improving. And this is a good sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

yep. i noticed that. i felt at that time that manny got headbutt phobia. but come round 3, everything's back to normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Excellent observations, guys!

In my opinion, the big difference for Manny was his focus and concentration in the fight. His fight with Velasquez is a more intelligent
fight - a thinking fight. I guess Team Pacquiao's strategy really is to win
by testing the new adjustments made. He sizes up Velasquez first in the first two rounds just like any other thinking boxers do. While I was watching round 2 of the fight, i thought Hector might try to get a technical draw with those unassuming head butts. Hector won rounds 1 and 2 so was ahead by 2 by the 3rd round. By the 5th, the score was now even and Manny unleashed those lethal blows and avoiding the head butts. Roach, if i remember right, predicted the stoppage by Round 6.

Manny was very much focused in this fight which we can attribute to the adjustments made in his preparation for the fight - the removal of distractions.

But he really did cram for this fight - only 4 weeks...whew!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:47 pm 
Welterweight

galing na ng english ni manny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:50 pm 
Heavyweight

here's my list:

1.pac looked comfortable on his weight right now, he really looked like a natrural superfeatherweight in that fight unlike last march he looked bloated...

2.he throws more right hooks and uppercuts and not always his usual right right jab and straight left which is very predictable though thats his most lethal combo

3.he has regain his speed after moving up in weight

4.his punching power is back coz after moving up many doubted he would carry his power with him

5.he is more patient now, the bara-bara style is gone

6.he has learned to adapt his opponent's style but still not enough to beat morales... he has to double his work in this dept.

7.he promised to cut down on booze

8.he promised to limit his gambling activities

9.he doesn't need an interpreter anymore when interviewed...hheehehhe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:54 pm 
Middleweight

Based on his last fight with Velasquez, one major improvement I've noticed is his COUNTERPUNCHING ability!

javascript:emoticon(':celebrate:')
Celebrate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 pm 
Heavyweight

ClydeErwinBarretto wrote:
Hello list! This is actually my first post!

What I liked:

1. He threw more jabs
2. He had added a right hook
3. He finally started going for the body a bit
4. He moved around a bit more
5. He didn't rush in as much as usual

What I didn't/still don't like:

1. His defense is still weak, he backs out a lot, turns his head and then raises his arms but not covering his face
2. He does weave left and right but I still think he needs more circular upper body movement
3. He is really really off balance once he starts throwing more punches
4. He looked like he was already gasping by the 3rd round

But I am telling you...if he can get it that LEFT UPPERCUT! He'd totally RIP SOME PEOPLE APART!

But I am happy he won! Velasquez was a total jerk. He tried to fight dirty and head butted PAC! PAC needs to watch out for those head butts!

--i think his defense was just appropriate for hector, hector is not a speedy fighter and he doesn't throw combos like other opponents pacman has faced...but of course more improvement would still be better for pacman for the rematch against EM.

2. i think southpaw fighters look really off balance when they throw punches, specially pac, his punches are so powerful and strong when he throws them theres a tendency to be off balanced.

3.i disagreee he was gasping for air in the third, in fact i was really surprised that he still had great stamina come the 5th round after only 4weeks of training unlike the fashan fight,come 4th round he was already gasping for air...the reason--- maybe because he didn't rush things and did not come out strong as he always do in the 1st and 2nd rounds of hos fight....what you think? i mean no beef,these are honest opinions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

depensa lang talaga ang medyo kulang pa kay manny. HV counterpunch clearly hit manny. well i also missed the left straight of Manny. it might give HV a cold KO. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:15 pm 
Cruiserweight

i really like manny's last fight cause he was really thinking...
like everyone else, he needs to improve more on his defense, its
not that he doesn't have any defense at all. i like the jabs, but i like
it to be more stiff. i like his new arsenals though, right hooks, uppercuts.

that right hook really set up the flurry..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:07 pm 
Bantamweight

What i noticed in manny's fights in he keep doing the same combinations! JAB, JAB and Left Hook! Manny should change the way he punch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:55 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I think roach's gameplan is for manny to have more rounds to shake off ring rust. and they did just that. roach is bringing back Pac old style like he's telling him to get under the jab with an uppercut. he did this with ledwaba. then the nonstop pressure like with the fight against barrera. the thing i didnt like is that manny wasnt able to connect on his favorite 1-2 punch. either velasquez knew where the left was coming or pac was just slow with the left hand, because velasquez always docks under it. one more is that local trainer of manny, i heard roach adviced manny to get under velasquez jab and come up with the right upper, then the local trainer said "igalaw mo ang ulo mo". its different, maybe he has other ideas... maybe roach can get an interpreter in there because we dont know if pac understands him during the fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:54 pm 
Lightweight

voltman007 wrote:
I think roach's gameplan is for manny to have more rounds to shake off ring rust. and they did just that. roach is bringing back Pac old style like he's telling him to get under the jab with an uppercut. he did this with ledwaba. then the nonstop pressure like with the fight against barrera. the thing i didnt like is that manny wasnt able to connect on his favorite 1-2 punch. either velasquez knew where the left was coming or pac was just slow with the left hand, because velasquez always docks under it. one more is that local trainer of manny, i heard roach adviced manny to get under velasquez jab and come up with the right upper, then the local trainer said "igalaw mo ang ulo mo". its different, maybe he has other ideas... maybe roach can get an interpreter in there because we dont know if pac understands him during the fight.

Yes, I think he was not trying to interpret what roach was sayin (I believe manny already understands roach), he was just trying to give another pointer. Somehow I wonder if this is advisable as they say "too many cooks could spoil the brooks" (did I spell it correctly?). But I think manny was trying to bring back his old team where he was winning that's why that other guy is there.

Well, regarding his improvements, I think most of you have already mentioned them all particularly the body punches and the right hand. But what I also enjoy (which has not been mentioned here much) was his improvement in english. I was really suprise when he suddenly answered the question of the interviewer (i was expecting an interpreter). I was really laughing my heart out at how he was comfortably responding to questions. He has even displayed a broader vocabulary by using words like "absolutely" instead of just a simple "yes". I even heard him responding to roach instructions during timeout with "oh yeah?"... sounding like an egoy.

And with regards to what I didn't like or miss in the fight: I think (just like one of the poster here said) he should bring that patented smile when entering the arena like he is excited to fight and enjoy doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:52 pm 
Cruiserweight

freewheeze wrote:
here's my list:

1.pac looked comfortable on his weight right now, he really looked like a natrural superfeatherweight in that fight unlike last march he looked bloated...

2.he throws more right hooks and uppercuts and not always his usual right right jab and straight left which is very predictable though thats his most lethal combo

3.he has regain his speed after moving up in weight

4.his punching power is back coz after moving up many doubted he would carry his power with him

5.he is more patient now, the bara-bara style is gone

6.he has learned to adapt his opponent's style but still not enough to beat morales... he has to double his work in this dept.

7.he promised to cut down on booze

8.he promised to limit his gambling activities

9.he doesn't need an interpreter anymore when interviewed...hheehehhe

He appeared more comfortable but as Jim Lamply said, he still doesn't look a natural superfeatherweight.

He's no longer sporting his brother's body like he what did in his fight last March. He simply bring back his old image, not the one of his brother...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny pounded Velasquez with a few great Right Uppercuts. I don't think I've seen him use it as effectively before. I've seen his Left Uppercut, but not the right.

His Right Hook wasn't anything new. He's been using it a lot before to set up his Left Straight. He hit Fahsan Battery several times with it as well. But perhaps he's added some power to that punch. I agree that it was that punch that wobbled Velasquez first before he teed off with his finishing combos.

He landed some bone-breaking body shots, too. He should do that a little more if you ask me.

His ring movement was much better this time. It was very similar to his performance against Barrera, darting in and out while throwing fast and powerful shots. Plus, he knew when to clinch when he had to.

Thing is, I'm not sure if the same strategy would work against Morales. Erik knows how to punch moving forward, and still maintain excellent balance, and he knows how to fight in a 'phone booth', unlike Velasquez who doesn't move as fast and was content to hold and hit. Manny on the other hand needs space to fight effectively. So, I'm guessing it's a matter of who can will, control and direct the fight into their kind of fight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next