Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:42 pm 

Agree that defense is important...but I am tired of some observers who sees Pac as a poor defensive boxer. This is the first time that I am countering this fallacy.

Most boxers when they are in the offensive would usually leave their face wide open. This is a fact to those boxers who likes delivering their killer punch from long distance. Even Morales and Barrera would leave their faces wide open when delivering from a distance. Honestly, Pac's defense is not bad at all, try to watch closely the Pac-MAB match and you will see the exceptional defense Manny put up against Barrera. Actually, Pac is good in covering his face when fighting close.

In my observation, Pacman's deadly weapon beside his straight left is his rampaging-fast left and right combinations. This deadly arsenal would usually be delivered at the expense of his defense. Depending on the kind of opponent, Pac would be cautiously defensive when fighting an exceptional boxer, but would be more offensive at the expense of his defense when he sees that he can easily wear down an opponent, that battle plan was seen on the slugging Hector Velasquez.

In my analysis...

Against MAB - Pac was cautiously defensive while wearing him down at the same time.
Against Velasquez- Pac fought ferociously at the expense of his defense. He decided to get more offensive because he felt Velasquez was easy to hit and a poor boxer.

In a nutshell, I am not so worried of his defense because he knows to use it depending on the type of opponent.

Now, if you will ask about his fight with Morales and Marquez.

Against Marquez - it was not his poor defense but rather that Pac was overwhelmed and became one-dimensional when he floored Marquez thrice, it proved that he overlooked the technical prowess of Marquez, that is why Marquez salvaged a draw.

Against Morales - it was not again his defense that caused his defeat, Pac and his corner became rattled after he suffered a cut. Morales took advantage of the rattled Pac and his poise got the nod of the judges. Pac re-grouped in the later rounds but the rally proved to be too late.

What I mean from my thoughts on the four fights I stated above is that Pacman is naturally an offensive fighter, but when he is really prepared and not overconfident, you are assured of a defensive but ferocious Pacman. However, do not expect Pac to be defensive when he sees an opponent that is easy to get floored. Velasquez is not too far from Fahsan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:15 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Well said, pareng Jawo! And one thing more...actually, those right hooks of PACMAN has long been there. It was the right hook that floored Rakkiatgym in his first knockdown..and also those right uppercuts, I saw it in his fight against Ledwaba and Julio.
It is only in his recent fights (specially with Marquez and Morales) he abandoned those punches ’coz his straight-left was over-hyped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Great analysis, bro Jawo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:50 pm 
Welterweight

My points exactly Jawo.

If you've noticed, people have been saying "improve defense" without indicating what exactly it is that they mean.

What are the elements of defense?

1) defensive hand positioning/blocking

If Manny is not throwing his combinations, is his hand positioning lacking? No.

Can you throw multiple fast combinations while maintaining defensive hand position? When throwing jabs and 1-2 combinations, it is easy to keep the other hand in a defensive position. But when you throw 3 or more FAST punch combinations, you will be open!

2) head movement/slipping/ducking punches

Same as 1). When Manny is not throwing his combinations, he employes slipping/ducking adequately. Once he is in a flurry, you can't expect him to move his head while throwing his combination effectively.

Coming in, he is uses head movement effectively, especially against Barrera. He should have done it more against Morales. He didn't need it that much against Velazquez, though I would have preferred that he keeps doing it so it becomes second nature.

3) footwork/body movement

This was one thing he needed to improve on, and I did see some improvement in the Velazquez fight.

When Manny was fighting smaller, slower opponents, he relied a lot on effectively backing out of range. He was fast enough to move in and out, and you will see his opponents punches missing just inches of his face. It was a beautiful thing to see, but unfortunately became a bad habit for Manny.

But against bigger/longer opponents, especially against Morales, he can't get out of range fast enough when backing out! So he gets tagged. But against Velazquez, it is good to see that he improved in this regard. He didn't move straight back, moved to his right more, especially when delivering the left straight to the body.

Manny is obviously not PBF defensively, so there are definitely things that he can work on. But please, as Jawo said, don't say he is wide open, when what you see is Manny open because he is throwing his combinations. And knowing Manny as a relentless puncher, he is in a flurry most of the time!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:07 pm 
Heavyweight

joeltorres wrote:
Did you guys see what Pacman's developing as his new super weapon? It's a hard right hook. It's almost as hard as the left straight but its not there yet but its getting there. That's what knocked-out Velasquez. The finishing left just grazed over. And anyone noticed the uppercut? Come January, he should've polished everything and will throw it without thinking. He should be able to strengthen it as well making him a two-fisted bomb ready to do some serious damage.

mp has been using the right hook or right uppercut... true it's as powerful as his left hand.... but he is more comfortable in using his left....it staggered HV, it also rocked EM, it KOed RAKIattGym....

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 pm 
Middleweight

Yes its powerful!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm 
Lightweight

Nice dig :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:01 pm 
Heavyweight

I think it is the manila ice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Manila Ice that turned out to be a dud against Morales in the first fight.