Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:14 pm 
Lightweight

I know this has been discussed many times.

And that a case could be made to say that GLOVES DON'T MATTER.

But I believe it does, especially after the Velasquez fight.

I now really think that if Manny wears Reyes gloves in his next fight with Morales, Manny will win by KO!!!

BTW, what gloves did Eric wear for the Raheem fight? Wasn't it a Reyes glove also? I thought he preferred Winnings. So what gives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:11 pm 
Heavyweight

This adds up to Manny's confidence . . . so it is a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

babyland wrote:
I know this has been discussed many times.

And that a case could be made to say that GLOVES DON'T MATTER.

But I believe it does, especially after the Velasquez fight.

I now really think that if Manny wears Reyes gloves in his next fight with Morales, Manny will win by KO!!!

BTW, what gloves did Eric wear for the Raheem fight? Wasn't it a Reyes glove also? I thought he preferred Winnings. So what gives?

it was winning gloves bro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:01 pm 
Flyweight

since EM is beltless now and MP is the current wbc holder, does it mean MP can command EM to use Reyes this time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:13 pm 
Heavyweight

it might help...
but its still up to manny if he can indeed knock morales out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:15 pm 
Heavyweight

rexdflex wrote:
since EM is beltless now and MP is the current wbc holder, does it mean MP can command EM to use Reyes this time?

correction bro, MP is only the WBC International Champion. The WBC Regular Champion if I am not mistaken is Barrera. WBC International Champion is lower than the regular belt.

There was a current ruling (I think it was in the Nevada Athletic Commission) that fighters can now chose whichever brand of gloves they prefer. This was passed even before the PAC - ERIK I fight.

But what happened in the first fight was PAC had no choice but to put on wining gloves instead of Reyes gloves because it was stipulated in the contract which Murad had signed. Eventhough it was illegal (based on the Commision ruling), it was legalized by the contract signed by Murad. So MP had no choice but to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:12 am 
Middleweight

markus_brutus wrote:
rexdflex wrote:

correction bro, MP is only the WBC International Champion. The WBC Regular Champion if I am not mistaken is Barrera. WBC International Champion is lower than the regular belt.

There was a current ruling (I think it was in the Nevada Athletic Commission) that fighters can now chose whichever brand of gloves they prefer. This was passed even before the PAC - ERIK I fight.

But what happened in the first fight was PAC had no choice but to put on wining gloves instead of Reyes gloves because it was stipulated in the contract which Murad had signed. Eventhough it was illegal (based on the Commision ruling), it was legalized by the contract signed by Murad. So MP had no choice but to follow.

You are correct bro! And if MP will choose for the his gloves this coming EM-MP II, Im sure it would be Reyes. And of course, EM will have to wear the same because if EM will use Winning gloves then manny can take the punch from EM while EM would be in trouble if hit by MP's power punch using Reyes.. Cleto Reyes gloves have less padding and smaller compares to Winning gloves!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:24 am 

Sam Aloya wrote:
You are correct bro! And if MP will choose for the his gloves this coming EM-MP II, Im sure it would be Reyes. And of course, EM will have to wear the same because if EM will use Winning gloves then manny can take the punch from EM while EM would be in trouble if hit by MP's power punch using Reyes.. Cleto Reyes gloves have less padding and smaller compares to Winning gloves!

I disagree. Morales doesn't have to wear the Cleto gloves because evry fighter can wear their choice of gloves now. Of course, just as long as it is not stipulated in the contract like the first fight. Even if the Reyes gloves have slightly less padding compared to the Winning brand, both gloves are still supposed to weigh the same. Gloves don't come in sizes (i.e. med, lg, Xlg), they come in ounces (i.e. 6 oz, 8, oz, 10 oz).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:05 am 
Cruiserweight

bisdak wrote:
Sam Aloya wrote:

I disagree. Morales doesn't have to wear the Cleto gloves because evry fighter can wear their choice of gloves now. Of course, just as long as it is not stipulated in the contract like the first fight. Even if the Reyes gloves have slightly less padding compared to the Winning brand, both gloves are still supposed to weigh the same. Gloves don't come in sizes (i.e. med, lg, Xlg), they come in ounces (i.e. 6 oz, 8, oz, 10 oz).

I'm pretty sure Erik will be wearing Winning Gloves even if Manny wears Cleto Reyes due to his BRITTLE hands. That's why he moved to Winning Gloves a long time ago, for the extra padding it provides him.

Murad sold out Manny by agreeing to the Winning Gloves for that fight. That and the many distractions he helped create, like taking away Manny's suite, and the fact that the blood test was done that week, instead of several weeks before. All those things together added up to some sort of a conspiracy. I'm really happy that MM's out of the picture, along with RN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:11 pm 
Heavyweight

When Morales fought Raheem...He was wearing winning and Raheem was wearing cleto!!! I guess on Pacman rematch...Morales will wear the same!!! :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

gloves make a difference and i dont care if anybody says any different. KOs are all abt feeling, speed and power and if mann is not felling tht then he aint gonna KO anybody. in the rematch will shall see how granite eriks chin is.