Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: From BoxingTimes....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 pm 
Middleweight

I've stumbled upon this news piece and notice it's not in our "latest news" headlines so I've posted it here.

http://www.boxingtimes.com/analyses/200 ... squez.html

--Pacquiao Blasts Out Velazquez--
By Spencer Cobb Adams

(September 10, 2005) Los Angeles, CA. (Staples Center)--

Manny Pacquiao more than held up his end of the deal. It was his chief rival and the legend that looked slow and sluggish as part of the "Great Tease" for their intended rematch next January.

Pacquiao hammered out veteran journeyman Hector Velasquez finally dropping him to his knees to score a late sixth round TKO. Pacquiao left little doubt he was still the hard charging Filipino with heavy hands that came up just a little short this past March.

"I expected to knock him out in the sixth or seventh round, Pacquiao said after the TKO victory. "It is very important this victory because I have to recover my name in boxing. I worked hard training for this fight because I lost the last time against Morales."

However, it was a much different story later in the evening when Erik Morales struggled and was simply outhustled by a quicker and more athletic lightweight, as Zahir Raheem scored a convincing 12 round unanimous decision victory.

The lucrative rematch between Pacquiao and Morales will still take place next January 21 as planned; however, coming off the LA performances there will be a significant shift in how the oddsmakers view their next encounter.

--Trading Shots--

The former three-time world champion Pacquiao (40-3-2, 32 KO's) drilled Velazquez (42-11-2, 31 KO's) with a straight left cross to the chin in the opening moments of opening stanza in the fight scheduled for 12 rounds. Fighting in the center of the ring, Velazquez (130) connected with a solid left hook but he also tasted a wicked uppercut to the chin from the southpaw at the 2:01 mark of the opening round.

Velasquez Tijuana, BC, Mexico continued to let his hands go and with 1:18 remaining in the 1st, he clipped Pacquiao (130) with a short right hand to the head followed by jolting left hook to the side of the face. Velazquez continued firing and he scored with two sharp lead right hands to the chin that forced Pacquiao to give ground. Both men continued to fire and land with hammering shots, as the largely pro-Mexican crowd screamed their support for their countryman.

With 22-seconds to go in the 1st, Velazquez scored again with another lead right hand that caught Pacquiao flush on the chin. Several times both men almost cracked skulls as they continued to battle in close quarters to close out the first round.

Pacquiao, General Santos City, Philippines scored quickly to open the 2nd, with two swift left crosses that thudded off of Velazquez's profile. Midway through the round, Pacquiao picked up the pace and tagged Velazquez, 30, with a short right hook to the jaw followed by yet another straight left cross to the chin. With 1:07 remaining in the 2nd, Pacquiao nailed the free swinging Velazquez with a clean counter left hand to the jaw that rocked the Mexican. Both men returned to trading punches, as the crowd screamed their approval of the high velocity fireworks.

Velazquez was far from done and he continued to pull the trigger on right crosses that once again forced the former Filipino world champion to hit reverse gear. The fighters flurried with less than 30-seconds remaining in the round, as the Mexican veteran connected with two sweeping right hands to the head but Pacquiao answered with a volley of shots until the sound of the bell.

--Sharp Shots--

Pacquiao, 26, increased his accuracy in the third round while Velazquez struggled to remain on target. At the 1:37 mark of the 3rd, the southpaw nailed Velazquez with a stiff right jab followed by a laser-like left cross that rocketed off the Mexican's chin. Seconds later, Pacquiao landed a slashing right hook and then stepped around his opponent leaving Velazquez off balance and out of position.

With less than a minute remaining in the 3rd, it became apparent that Pacquiao's foot and hand speed allowed him to move, fire and then reset before Velazquez could let his hands go. At the 42-second mark of the round, Pacquiao ducked under a telegraphed right cross and then drilled Velazquez with a clubbing left hand to the side of the skull. With 25-seconds to go in the round, Pacquiao nailed the Mexican with a lead left cross that richochtted off of Velazquez's chin.

Pacquiao continued to display his speed to open the fourth round and Velazquez had no answer for his opponent's faster hands and footwork. At the 2:21 mark of the 4th, Pacquiao bounced a three-shot combination off of Velazquez's head. At the 59-second mark of the round, Pacquiao caught the flat-footed Velazquez with a whip-like right left combination that detonated on the Mexican's jaw and momentarily stopped him in his tracks while the LA fight fans cheered the spirited action.

--Exit Strategy--

Both men flurried to open the 5th, but Pacquiao simply had more steam on his shots and another four-punch sequence rattled off Velazquez's jaw early in the round. With 1:28 remaining in the 5th, Pacquiao caught Velazquez moving forward and he ripped him yet another stunning four-shot volley punctuated by a cracking left cross square on the jaw.

Moving in and out while firing whistling shots, Pacquiao began wearing Velazquez down midway through the round, as the former world champ repeatedly drilled his opponent with clean left crosses that rocketed off his skull. With 31-seconds to go in the 5th, Pacquiao caught Velazquez walking straightforward and nailed him with a scalding right hook to the jaw and the crowd responded in unison with a collective groan. Just before the bell to end the round, Pacquiao landed a leaping right hook that caught the tiring Velazquez once again flush on the chin.

At the conclusion of the round Velazquez slowly returned to his corner on the backs of his heels.

Pacquiao continued to grind Velazquez down to open the sixth round, as his opponent's reflexes and ability to return fire diminished noticeably. At the 2:04 mark of the 6th, Pacquiao drilled Velazquez with two hard shots to the belly before his opponent was able to tie up the Filipino. Seconds later, Pacquiao nailed his opponent again with two more ramrod right jabs that snapped Velazquez's skull straight back.

Pacquiao shifted his attack downstairs and hammered Velazquez with a searing right hook to the ribs followed seconds later, by a savage left cross to the belly. With Velazquez noticeably tiring, Pacquiao caught him with slashing right hook to the jaw that again rocked the Mexican boxer.

With 49-seconds remaining in the round and the fans screaming, Pacquiao jolted Velazquez with a clean right hook to the jaw. The sound of the punch was audible over the snoise of the crowd and again wobbled the durable but overmatched Mexican. Seconds later, Pacquiao drove Velazquez back into the corner and unloaded a brutal volley of unanswered head shots.

Pacquiao landed no less than 15 searing punches before Velazquez was able to drop his shoulder and almost tackle the ex-champ to force a momentary clinch. Referee Lou Moret separated the boxers but there was no saving the staggering Velazquez from his fate.

Seconds later Pacquiao drove Velazquez back into the ropes for the second time before the Mexican was able to escape. With less than 5-seconds to go in the round, Pacquiao trapped his opponent back against the ropes for the third time and unloaded five more withering shots that dropped Velazquez to his knees at the sound of the bell.

The referee Moret sent Pacquiao to the neutral corner and with Velazquez's head bowed and still in a kneeling position the veteran official began his mandatory eight-count. At the count of eight Velazquez was able to rise but with blood caked above his left eye he was in no condition to continue and Moret waved off the contest.

The TKO went into the books as a victory for Pacquiao at 2:59 of the sixth round. His chief rival and protagonist Erik Morales, however, would not be so fortunate later in the evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:06 pm 
Heavyweight

:lol: Even though I 've seen the fight live . . . this is still a good reading.

Thanks for the article sahey.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:18 pm 
Middleweight

You're welcome, sir PSO. I've read a lot of commentaries of fight but this one, IMO, has a better detail of what went through the fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:44 pm 
Middleweight

Indeed, good read.

Some revelation why the REF stopped the fight early as well, 'too early' for some of the posters here.

Hope that'll shed some light on the naysayers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:46 pm 
Heavyweight

That's a great read.
Thnx pre.
I've seen the tape about 6 times already.
Velasquez took a beating.
People need to realize, boxing is much more BRUTAL IN PERSON.
You can't feel the punches while watching it on tv.
Pac's assault made Velasquez quit in surrender.
He just knew it was a lost cause. Pac was getting stronger while he was getting weaker. That's why he had that discouraged look in his face when he got up.
Of course, the X-Files theorist will say Velasquez was just acting.:-)

Post subject: Pac did his homework...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:19 pm 
Welterweight

Thanks for sharing that good read, sahey.
I believe Manny Pacquiao has now started to morph himself
into that "consumate professional" mode of a fighter.
His performance reflected that he took his training seriously
for the Velasquez fight wherein he did not gasped for breath
nor showed signs of tiring out early. If he keeps this up,
he will last long in his sport. Boxing fans know that Manny
is the most athletically built in the featherweight class.
If he takes care of that body with superb conditioning,
his performance in every fight from now on will be top caliber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:31 pm 

great read, in the post fight interview, Hector said hen ever realized that Manny hit that hard and still hit hard in the later rounds, maybe thats another reason why he did not contest the ref's decision, I also watched the tape several times, I don't believe that Hector threw the fight out like some suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:34 pm 
Middleweight

You're welcome, guys. What I like about the article is the detailed account of the fight devoid of biased commentaries and conspiracy theories that pareng Joey so loaths. Ha-ha-ha. That way, it's up to the readers to disect the fight regardless of their prederrences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Sahey wrote:
You're welcome, guys. What I like about the article is the detailed account of the fight devoid of biased commentaries and conspiracy theories that pareng Joey so loaths. Ha-ha-ha. That way, it's up to the readers to disect the fight regardless of their prederrences.

I heard BoxingTimes is owned by the Mexican mafia.
The Escobar family runs it.
Spencer Adams' real name is Pedro Adamos. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:35 am 
Light Heavyweight

Keep em coming.. I cant seem to get enough news about Mannys victory... and Eriks loss.. :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:33 pm 
Middleweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Sahey wrote:

I heard BoxingTimes is owned by the Mexican mafia.
The Escobar family runs it.
Spencer Adams' real name is Pedro Adamos. :-)

Ha-ha-ha. At least they're going legit business now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:52 pm 
Heavyweight

This is the most exciting and detailed news ever written on the
Pacquiao-Velasquez fight.

What about the Morales-Raheem fight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:34 pm 
Light Heavyweight

’Twas a good read, bro. Sahey, Thank you for posting it here.
Kodus to the Writer! He dissected the fight punch after punch, I can almost imagine I was watching it live! :toast:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:35 pm 
Cruiserweight

Nice writing on what actually transpired last Manny's fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:17 pm 
Middleweight

Thanks again, guys. This fight happened more than a month ago and the excitement we had a that time waned a little bit. However, I would like to point the manner by which the article was wriiten. Specifically the inclusion of time spot (minutes/seconds seen on screen) in a particular round which the writer used to emphasize the action he was referring to. This will allow readers to verify later on the validity of his round per round description of the fight.