Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:39 am 
Lightweight

September 10, 2005

Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao and Erik "El Terrible" Morales fought earlier this year. It was a great fight, except that Pacquiao lost, but one cannot dispute the fact that Morales clearly dissected Manny's game plan and beat him, but not without some degree of difficulty. Manny, despite the cut over his right eye, fought on, and wobbled Morales in the twelfth round after Morales uncharistically switched to southpaw. Pacquiao won the last round, but by then, it was too late.

When Larry Merchant asked Manny if he wanted a rematch, "Anytime, anywhere" was his terse reply.

Morales and Pacquiao fought again tonight, but not against each other. It was at the Staples Center is Los Angeles, and the stipulation is they each must beat their opponents tonight, or there is no rematch.

Pacquiao was put up against Hector Velasquez, a Mexican journeyman with a record of 42-10-2. Velasquez, with obviously nothing to lose and everything to gain (apologies for the pun), was a good sport, actually connecting with stiff, countering jabs whenever Manny shot with his left. Manny lost the first two rounds. As the fight went on, Manny was the better conditioned fighter and threw power punch after power punch after power punch (I'll get to this later), and in the 6th round, Manny threw a right cross that wobbled Velasquez, and Velasquez had no answer for the cross afterward as Pacquiao continued a non-stop barrage that and Velasquez took a knee in 2:59 of the 6th round. The referee began to count, Velasquez got up but was unable to continue and the fight was stopped.

Manny wins by KO.

Manny held up his end of the deal for a rematch.

Erik Morales, however, well, let me say something quickly...

Manny went up in weight to 130 to fight Erik Morales, since Manny's last opponent, Juan Manuel Marquez, bid his way out of a rematch with Manny and no one wanted to pick up the tab. Manny also said that his "dream fight" is to fight Morales. So, he moved up in weight to 130.

Going up in weight, for anyone, especially athletes, is a difficult thing to do: you lose speed, you lose stamina. Manny was told that he should probably take a couple of tune-up fights at 130 before taking on Morales, but Manny insisted he didn't need one. Although Manny was still quick with his punches, but it was obvious as the fight went on he seemed to be fighting heavy. Of course, we all know what happened, and he lost.

So my side note was a bit long. So sue me. On to my point:

Erik Morales suffered the same fate Manny did as he went up in weight against his opponent, Zahir Raheem.

Raheem was the more active and "slippery" fighter, sticking the jab and evading and frustrating Morales. It also didn't help that Morales looked sluggish from the start. Raheem stunned Morales in the fifth round, and Morales rallied back in the 11th and 12th rounds, but Raheem had already built a commanding lead in the scorecards and he won by unanimous decision.

"El Terrible" looked "terrible," and after the fight Morales complained that Raheem barely hit him. I suppose as a boxer, you carry an air of arrogance, but the result was very clear: Morales got whipped, but as a boxer, I suppose you never admit to fighting your worst.

When Larry Merchant asked Morales if a rematch with Pacquiao is still on, he shook his head and replied, "I don't know."

Someone from behind Morales who wasn't in camera view shouted, "Of course he's fighting Pacquiao again, there's no question about that!"

Erik Morales didn't hold up his end of the deal, but they're still talking rematch. I guess it doesn't matter. Pacquiao-Morales II is the fight that everyone is looking forward to despite tonight's outcome, but I don't blame them. It'll be a moneymaker.

Now, onto my observation of Manny Pacquiao: Manny looked pretty good tonight with his win against Velasquez, but he needs to work on his defense. Whenever he came toward Velasquez to throw a left, Velasquez immediately countered with a jab or a hook. Manny likes the jab-jab-punch combination, and his opponents have caught on to his game plan. I am sure trainer Freddie Roach will address this after watching the tapes of the fight and make the proper adjustments.

I mentioned earlier about Manny throwing power punch after power punch after power punch. Although Manny never seems tired or winded during his fights, I would like to see Manny throw a couple of jabs, and set up for the power punch. The day will come for Manny during a match which throwing those power punches will wear him out, and he'll have nothing left in the later rounds. In other words, I'd like to see more technique, even though it's fun to watch Manny punch non-stop.

Although Manny is a southpaw, he's not favoring the straight left (his strongest punch) as much as he used to, which can probably be said is a good thing. His right is just as strong as his left, showing he has an arsenal of weapons besides the left when he wobbled Velasquez with a right cross. Future opponents are aware of this and will take caution.

As For Morales: Morales now has a boxing record of 48-3-0. I still consider Morales one of the best Lightweights in boxing, but I believe the years have finally caught up to him. Against Raheem, he looked sluggish, and didn't seem like his heart was in it. Morales has always been known as a slow starter. Tonight, he chose a bad time to start out TOO slow.

If the rematch is still on, I'm going to predict that Pacquiao will win the rematch; I'm just not going to predict how.

But for me and the rest of boxing aficionados out there, regardless of the outcome, it'll be another great night of boxing.

UPDATE 9-15-05: The rematch between Pacquiao and Morales is on, in January 2006.

NOTE: I apologize if this article seems a bit convoluted. I wrote this right after I watched the fight and I was really sleepy, but I do hope I got my point across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:27 am 
Middleweight

nice read.. keep it up bro.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:18 am 

nice one zyuu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:24 am 
Cruiserweight

very gd article bro. i liked it very much and i agree tht manny needs to vary his offence and improve defence. hopefully yr prediction of a manny win comes true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:16 am 
Heavyweight

Hell yeah PACMAN will win by KO!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Morales will have a terrible night come fight night! :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:22 am 
Light Heavyweight

nice one there! keep it coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:49 am 
Heavyweight

Nice post dude!Are you a writer for a newspaper???You're good keep them coming :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:07 am 
Lightweight

SweetRevenge wrote:
Nice post dude!Are you a writer for a newspaper???

Damn, I haven't posted in a while, and I even forgot I posted this.

Anyways...

To answer your question, SweetRevenge: No, I do not write for a newspaper. I'm a graphic designer in Las Vegas who happens to be a long time boxing fan who has those moments where I suddenly have to write my feelings and observations on paper, just like my post above.

And I never thought of being a sportswriter.