Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:46 pm 
Welterweight

improvement on manny's fight.

1st. in the 1st round he did not attack like he use to be. he studied 1st the nature of how HV fights. then i think he adjusted really well on the succeeding rounds.

2nd. he used his right hand most of the fights and he landed big shots with it and did some major damage on HV. ( is this the manila ice? :?: )

3. his stamina look great in the fight he still have the power to land big punches even in the 6th round.

What i did not like

1st. manny's defense still needs somework alot of times when he throws punches he gets countered by the right of HV.

2nd. i think he lost some of his speed in the higher weight

did you guys also notice that when manny entered the ring he was not smiling @ time, like he use to do during his previous fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:10 pm 
Flyweight

Hello list! This is actually my first post!

What I liked:

1. He threw more jabs
2. He had added a right hook
3. He finally started going for the body a bit
4. He moved around a bit more
5. He didn't rush in as much as usual

What I didn't/still don't like:

1. His defense is still weak, he backs out a lot, turns his head and then raises his arms but not covering his face
2. He does weave left and right but I still think he needs more circular upper body movement
3. He is really really off balance once he starts throwing more punches
4. He looked like he was already gasping by the 3rd round

But I am telling you...if he can get it that LEFT UPPERCUT! He'd totally RIP SOME PEOPLE APART!

But I am happy he won! Velasquez was a total jerk. He tried to fight dirty and head butted PAC! PAC needs to watch out for those head butts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm 
Middleweight

I really think that Manny caught the Mexican with a right hand which started the end....I agree, everytime he throws his powerful left hand...he gets caught with a counter punch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:52 pm 
Lightweight

Thank God that this thread has already started!

Congrats to Manny and i'm glad that he won but I think Manny still needs to improve on some fundamentals.

I was glad to see that his right was being utilized more and was suprisingly effective. His speed and power is still there which was reassuring.

With that said I think these are what Manny should work on if he wants to beat EM and anybody else at 130.

1. Manny needs to desperately improve his defense.
2. Manny needs to box more and not be so one dimensional in his offense by throwing only power punches in hopes of KOing the opponent.
3. Manny needs to feint and use more upper body movement and not square up on his opponent. He was getting tagged pretty good by Velasquez.
4. Not to be so recklessly aggressive in exchanges.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:55 pm 
Lightweight

clie wrote:
improvement on manny's fight.

did you guys also notice that when manny entered the ring he was not smiling @ time, like he use to do during his previous fights.

yeah, I noticed that too. He smiled a bit but not gleefully like his previous fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:56 pm 
Heavyweight

i think he improves his stamina, hope he can improve his defense in his next fight

Post subject: He can improve, still
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:16 pm 
Cruiserweight

All your points and observations were valid. Given enough lead time for Manny to prepare and train (not cramming), all your suggestions, observations will be addressed.

Let's hope that Manny will stick to what was agreed upon between him, Freddie and Gary regarding his preparation for his rematch with Morales.

By the way, the rematch is still on for Jan 21 as per announcement made by Top Rank. You can read the news flash at Fightnews.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:32 pm 
Middleweight

what i liked:

1. his slipping and sliding moves are back
2. his angling
3. right jabs ,, lots of them
4. right hooks ... strong
5. no arm raising when hit by opponent
6. focus ... focus ... he was all business inside

what i want to see more of:

1. better defense
2. balance when he misses on a punch
3. more body shots
4. more combos, like dbl jabs, lef, right hook, etc...
5. when close, give the uppercuts ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:52 pm 
Middleweight

A lot of good observation here. I just wanted to add up since I've seen the fight 3x already last night with my family in High Definition. One thing that I don't think was mentioned here was the RIGHT UPPERCUT. He made one of the two attempts and it was smooth. His RIGHT HOOK of course had set the victory and the CROSS BODY SHOTS right on the button took away HV's aggressiveness.

I think his defense had shown some improvement compared to his last fight. He showed how to cut and circle the ring. Move out of the ropes and when he backs off, he showed some head movements to avoid bolo punches.

The referree did a great job. He's a doctor so the moment HV stood up with his eyes all weary...that was it NO MAS waived Dr. Lou Morret.

Great Fight. I just hope the Filipinos would chant more, just like the last EM fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 pm 
Middleweight

Making necassary adjustments has been a weak area that Manny and Roach have been working on--conscientioulsy! These are the things that I saw as positves, in Manny's campaing to develop his skillfs: he did a better job keeping his hands up, cathcing many punches on the mits instead of his chops, he did some good work at moving "in the pocket," while pinned on the ropes i.e. moving his head slightly or "rolling with the puches." Not perfectly, but he did it and I alway get the feeling he panics when pinned on the ropes, where he alway tries to run, instead of working it alittle to turn it around--COUNTERING! If Manny is a fighter, that fighters are supposed to be "weary of standing in front of," then he must learn how to stay in the clinch himself and turn it around in the clinch! He showed signs of that last night. However, in his fighst with EM and JMM, Manny was countered often while trying to get out of clinches and while losing his balance through the twisting motion that he uses while unleashing his straight left. The desperation that Manny shows to get out of chlinches indicates to me that he lacks confidence in two things, his own chin or ability to work his way out of a jam. Velasques was hailed an extremely tough opponent going into the fight and showed for three rounds why, but now, Manny needs to take the skills that he showed in this fight--adapting and focus--and bring them with him back to the next level. He should also bring that right hook that was working for him last night. But right hooks usually work when in clinches: going into them or taking a slight step back, while releasing it. So, Manny needs to take these risks while building his skills into that of a boxer-pucher, instead of an "all out brawler!"
11.09.05 @ 16:51:28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:55 am 
Middleweight

Victor wrote:
Making necassary adjustments has been a weak area that Manny and Roach have been working on--conscientioulsy! These are the things that I saw as positves, in Manny's campaing to develop his skillfs: he did a better job keeping his hands up, cathcing many punches on the mits instead of his chops, he did some good work at moving "in the pocket," while pinned on the ropes i.e. moving his head slightly or "rolling with the puches." Not perfectly, but he did it and I alway get the feeling he panics when pinned on the ropes, where he alway tries to run, instead of working it alittle to turn it around--COUNTERING! If Manny is a fighter, that fighters are supposed to be "weary of standing in front of," then he must learn how to stay in the clinch himself and turn it around in the clinch! He showed signs of that last night. However, in his fighst with EM and JMM, Manny was countered often while trying to get out of clinches and while losing his balance through the twisting motion that he uses while unleashing his straight left. The desperation that Manny shows to get out of chlinches indicates to me that he lacks confidence in two things, his own chin or ability to work his way out of a jam. Velasques was hailed an extremely tough opponent going into the fight and showed for three rounds why, but now, Manny needs to take the skills that he showed in this fight--adapting and focus--and bring them with him back to the next level. He should also bring that right hook that was working for him last night. But right hooks usually work when in clinches: going into them or taking a slight step back, while releasing it. So, Manny needs to take these risks while building his skills into that of a boxer-pucher, instead of an "all out brawler!"
11.09.05 @ 16:51:28

Great observation. You fight by any chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:46 am 
Light Heavyweight

I like the fact that I didn't think Manny was tired after the 3rd round. I like that he has more confidence with his right hand. Many have commented on how Manny still needs to improve his defense, and I agree with that. But, I do like how he moved around his opponent much better when he was evading punches. Instead of moving straight back -which is a no-no, he circled around HV to avoid some shots, which ometimes even completely turned him around.He still needs to learn to keep his right hand up when he delivers his big left. What would be a really big improvement is if Manny would be more balanced. He still is tremendously off balanced when he throws some big shots, of which he gets countered pretty regularly. If he was fighting a quicker fighter, this tendency may prove to be a huge problem. One last thing, Manny is a head hunter and he will not stray away from that...even if we know more body shots will be a usefull strategy. There were many many misses when he threw his head shots, so I think Manny should aim a little lower. I think he should aim for the neck area. My coach used to train a "head-hunter" who had the same problem, and he told him to aim for the neck and upper chest area. Well, he started doing this and was very effective, especially against bobbers. Anyway, WAY TO BE, MANNY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:49 am 
Heavyweight

one biggest improvement of PAC? He did not fall in love with his LEFT STRAIGHT in the fight ... :biglaugh:

Geico.com even a Pac NUTHUGGER can do it.

Post subject: body punches
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:35 am 
Lightweight

i think the body punches make a big diffirence..dont know guys if one of you here see that after velas hit by a left hand punch when there clinching in late part of six round velas is holding his stomach for a moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:53 am 
Light Heavyweight

Congrats to Pac but I think he should go back to 126.......pls Manny :

Velasquez= :fight: