Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:38 am 
Cruiserweight

http://www.ufcfightnews.com/09-morpac.html

click on the link above and notice how raheem is wearing reyes gloves whilst morales is wearing winning gloves in their fight. if you saw the fight you notice how raheem almost floored erik in the 5th round and he is not a known puncher. i know the fight took place at 135 and the weight may have made a difference but look at the post fight pictures as well. look at how swollen eriks face looks and tht is only a few hours after the fight when the swelling has not really taken affect. if raheem can hurt erik will reyes gloves imagine what manny can do in the rematch? erik`s camp said tht the gloves were a non-issue in the 1st fight then why did they not let manny wear his choice of gloves then? i think it was a strategic plan cos they knew tht manny was the stronger fighter so they wanted to take tht advantage away which they did with the super thick padded winning gloves. in the rematch will shall see how good erik`s chin really is with manny wearing his reyes gloves!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 am 
Light Heavyweight

everyone has their own opinion...and I still think it made a difference in terms of punching power...but of coarse the GLOVES were NOT CONNECTED WITH SKILLS!...Erik did fight a great fight and that's because Manny was taylor made for Erik that night!...but like I said...everyday is a new day and I'm sure the rematch won't be the same so it should be a war and I can't wait!...^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:07 pm 
Heavyweight

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

The reyes gloves didn't made a difference in the Eric/Raheem fight. Raheem is not a puncher . . . and was not interested to K.O. Eric.

Did you see what Raheem did after almost knocking out Eric? :lol: He stay far and waited for Eric to come back to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacman opened a cut in Velasquez' face thru the right hook that sent him wobbling. A cut from a legitimate punch wearing a Cleto Reyes glove....not from a headbutt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:23 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Yeah that was bull how 3 days, thats right just incase everyone forgot 3 DAYS BEFORE THE FIGHT Manny was forced to switch to Winning brand... if that doesn't bother somebody somewhat then i dunno... but imagine Manny's pysche going into the next fight KNOWING he is wearing his "babies"... that can make the difference right there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Obviously, Freddie was right about the gloves, that's trainer of the year talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:21 pm 
Heavyweight

pso_junior wrote:

The reyes gloves didn't made a difference in the Eric/Raheem fight. Raheem is not a puncher . . . and was not interested to K.O. Eric.

Did you see what Raheem did after almost knocking out Eric? :lol: He stay far and waited for Eric to come back to him.

it will make a difference, but it's not the only difference why pacman lost that 1st fight.... this glove issue has been said and done, i think we should forget the glove issue and come up with more interesting issues, i mean no disrespect bro but the significant difference on the rematch will be if manny will have something new in his arsenal, a change of gameplan,learn to adapt to EM's style....etc..etc.... peace..... :swordplay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:26 pm 
Heavyweight

pso_junior wrote:

Did you see what Raheem did after almost knocking out Eric? :lol: He stay far and waited for Eric to come back to him.[/b]

Yeah, and he better change his ways if he wants to see better paydays. My guess is he got respect only from a minority of boxing fans for his tactics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:06 pm 
Heavyweight

The mere fact that Morales will be getting more hurt from every punch has got to change his style a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:47 pm 
Flyweight

Gloves do make a difference. I read somewhere that the thinner gloves, as what you would wear when doing a heavy bag, has more sting/transferred power to it. But during a fight, people tend to wear pillows to protect fighters from excessive hits. Historically, boxers were bare-knuckled and going 50 rounds! Compared to that, present day boxers are sissies! But this is the first time I've heard that 2 fighters are wearing different gloves in the same fight. I thought you'd agree to wear one type beforehand?
Other aspects of PAC's style that I think need work are his predictability in offense and defense against counter-punching, although I think these 2 are closely related. I noticed that PAC tends to go all out on the offense with little/no regard to the counterpunches he receives. He tends to be open at the end of his barrages to receive counter-barrages. I think Morales is a great CP and so is JM Marquez. PAC needs to learn how to go on the offense without undermining his defense. I think this stems from PAC's mentality of just wanting to rip the other guy's head off ASAP. He does not think much about defense. Come to think of it, PAC does not CP as well, either. He tends to move in, deliver punishment, then moves out. EM and JMM, OTOH moves in, delivers, feigns, then delivers more. I think in order for PAC to become a better boxer, he needs more variety in his arsenal, especially the kind that does not undermine his defense. He needs to CP more as well. I think Roach should study these great CPs; see how they adjust to what the opponent is doing and get PAC to fighter smarter. Go Manny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:58 am 
Heavyweight

freewheeze wrote:
pso_junior wrote:

it will make a difference, but it's not the only difference why pacman lost that 1st fight.... this glove issue has been said and done, i think we should forget the glove issue and come up with more interesting issues, i mean no disrespect bro but the significant difference on the rematch will be if manny will have something new in his arsenal, a change of gameplan,learn to adapt to EM's style....etc..etc.... peace..... :swordplay:

:lol: Hey Bro you are talking too far from what I'm trying to point out.

Sure it will make a difference on the Pac/Eric rematch . . . but I'm what I'm saying is . . . it didn't matter even if Raheem was using the cleto brand. Got it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:04 am 
Welterweight

yes the glove's could be one of the factor he didnt but almost knock out eric, but that was his 1st fight at 130, he was cut, and i think his corner was surprised that eric was standing his own against eric...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:30 am 
Heavyweight

For me, EM just did a masterful job in taming the Pacman in that fight. If ever there was a legit excuse, it is only the "CUT" that counts. The gloves, the distractions, etc. are all minor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:48 am 
Lightweight

Gotta play devil's advocate here....but wouldn't have Morales' punches done some damage too if he wore the Reyes gloves?

THere's no doubt in my mind that Manny will have more confidence wearing the Reyes gloves.

In my mind he's got to go all out and especially to the body early. You will notice in the first fight Morales was bending down to get some wind at the end of the first round. But Manny abandoned the body.

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes in the first fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:43 am 
Middleweight

I believe gloves made a big diffrence.

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: