Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:07 pm 
Welterweight

"MORALES - PACQUIAO PPV II... FOR 'SUCKAS' ONLY

By George Elsasser

The purveyors of pugilism never sleep, well hardly ever. Too busy putting together insulting PPV fiascos littered with yesterday names that are no more than a shell of their former selves.

They stuff a card with a past champion, a couple of assorted familiar names, and as quick as you can shout Geronimo, the today suckas come running with the plastic at the ready.

Has always been that way … was during the 1800s that circus showman Phineas Taylor Barnum shouted the news about a sucker born every minute and two others to take him - and didn’t that one hold up to the test of time.

Today it’s business as usual … a century 21 version of them 1900s closed circuit take downs - my problem is over the merchandise - yesterday it was a Patterson-Liston. The coin counting had only just begun when Floyd is down and out seconds after the opening bell had sounded. Still, Floyd-Sonny on paper looked good, and the prize up for grabs was the one and only heavyweight bauble out there.

The good pairings balanced out the bad, and that is what drew the paying clientele - but padded cards with overcooked past good ones that we see today is a whole different sell.

Mercer-Briggs anyone? Tyson-Meehan? Brock and McCline? And this upcoming HBO heist with Marco Antonio Barrera and Robbie Peden in the catbird seat - and supported by a tarnished saccharin Shane Mosley in with some undefeated faceless welter Jose Luis Cruz - and Leavander Johnson meeting blown up Jesus Chavez.

Best I got, is lots of luck suckas … count me out. Worse yet, is the quickly announced return meeting of Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao - quick as during the post fite media interview of Morales tutored by light punching Zahir Raheem and Pac-Man looking less than stellar with a faded Velasquez.

Good old "Rabid-Robert" tossed that one at the assemblage … an HBO PPV up comer for those fans that get all warm when being had - clearly no biting the bullet with the rabid one.

From what we witnessed during the earlier ring action Morales was pretty much taken prisoner by a surprisingly superb bit of sniping by the Philadelphia sharpshooter - one would think before granting Erik, wuz I terrible, a fat PPV stipend for some 36 minutes of humiliation, is to first get a Raheem permission slip.

And Pacquiao you ask? On paper the 2:59 of stanza six will surely catch the eyes of those who missed it - but it wasn’t exactly what most were looking for to get the adrenalin flowing for a return with Erik Terrible.

So much for the bait - the big return should have gone the commode route once Morales bombed like an off-B’way lemon. Talk about a proverbial laugher … Zahir could have aborted the post fight ring interview with Larry Merchant with a "He never laid a glove on me" - it was that one sided.

Final thoughts on Pac-Man is he’s clearly having problems solving the new Freddie Roach change of style and technique puzzle - looked more relaxed than when seen in them earlier firestorms with Barrera, Marquez, Morales - helped that Hector’s offense was a looping right hand that only arrived by invitation.

Much more fan friendly would be another HBO twin-bill, with Raheem in with a Leavander Johnson, Acelino Freitas, Joel Casamayor type, and Pacquiao with Jorge Barrios or a featherweight affair with In Jin Chi, Scott Harrison.

PPV? Don’t even dream it."

LOOK AT THIS George Elsasser, HE IS DISCOURING BOXING FANS TO WATCH THE MORALES-PACMAN II DUEL. HMM, TSK, TSK, he wants Pacquiao vs. Barrios, In Jin Chi or Scott Harrison....TSK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:37 pm 
Featherweight

dodapacway wrote:
"MORALES - PACQUIAO PPV II... FOR 'SUCKAS' ONLY

By George Elsasser

The purveyors of pugilism never sleep, well hardly ever. Too busy putting together insulting PPV fiascos littered with yesterday names that are no more than a shell of their former selves.

They stuff a card with a past champion, a couple of assorted familiar names, and as quick as you can shout Geronimo, the today suckas come running with the plastic at the ready.

Has always been that way … was during the 1800s that circus showman Phineas Taylor Barnum shouted the news about a sucker born every minute and two others to take him - and didn’t that one hold up to the test of time.

Today it’s business as usual … a century 21 version of them 1900s closed circuit take downs - my problem is over the merchandise - yesterday it was a Patterson-Liston. The coin counting had only just begun when Floyd is down and out seconds after the opening bell had sounded. Still, Floyd-Sonny on paper looked good, and the prize up for grabs was the one and only heavyweight bauble out there.

The good pairings balanced out the bad, and that is what drew the paying clientele - but padded cards with overcooked past good ones that we see today is a whole different sell.

Mercer-Briggs anyone? Tyson-Meehan? Brock and McCline? And this upcoming HBO heist with Marco Antonio Barrera and Robbie Peden in the catbird seat - and supported by a tarnished saccharin Shane Mosley in with some undefeated faceless welter Jose Luis Cruz - and Leavander Johnson meeting blown up Jesus Chavez.

Best I got, is lots of luck suckas … count me out. Worse yet, is the quickly announced return meeting of Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao - quick as during the post fite media interview of Morales tutored by light punching Zahir Raheem and Pac-Man looking less than stellar with a faded Velasquez.

Good old "Rabid-Robert" tossed that one at the assemblage … an HBO PPV up comer for those fans that get all warm when being had - clearly no biting the bullet with the rabid one.

From what we witnessed during the earlier ring action Morales was pretty much taken prisoner by a surprisingly superb bit of sniping by the Philadelphia sharpshooter - one would think before granting Erik, wuz I terrible, a fat PPV stipend for some 36 minutes of humiliation, is to first get a Raheem permission slip.

And Pacquiao you ask? On paper the 2:59 of stanza six will surely catch the eyes of those who missed it - but it wasn’t exactly what most were looking for to get the adrenalin flowing for a return with Erik Terrible.

So much for the bait - the big return should have gone the commode route once Morales bombed like an off-B’way lemon. Talk about a proverbial laugher … Zahir could have aborted the post fight ring interview with Larry Merchant with a "He never laid a glove on me" - it was that one sided.

Final thoughts on Pac-Man is he’s clearly having problems solving the new Freddie Roach change of style and technique puzzle - looked more relaxed than when seen in them earlier firestorms with Barrera, Marquez, Morales - helped that Hector’s offense was a looping right hand that only arrived by invitation.

Much more fan friendly would be another HBO twin-bill, with Raheem in with a Leavander Johnson, Acelino Freitas, Joel Casamayor type, and Pacquiao with Jorge Barrios or a featherweight affair with In Jin Chi, Scott Harrison.

PPV? Don’t even dream it."

LOOK AT THIS George Elsasser, HE IS DISCOURING BOXING FANS TO WATCH THE MORALES-PACMAN II DUEL. HMM, TSK, TSK, he wants Pacquiao vs. Barrios, In Jin Chi or Scott Harrison....TSK

I THINK... HE NEEDS TO CHANGE HIS PATH OF CAREER, GO TO BOXING PROMOTION, THATS THE RIGHT WAY TO GO. WAKE UP BOYO! MR. GOERGE ELSASSER..... YOU CAN NOT LET A GOOD MAN DOWN, REALLY! BUT HEY.... SCOTT HARRISON AND MANNY.... I THINK THAT WILL BE A GOOD NEWS FOR US HERE IN U.K. IF PLANS WILL PUSH THROUGH. WE CAN BE ABLE TO WATCH AND SEE MANNY HERE IN PERSON AND IN THE RING WAVING OUR FILIPINO NATIONAL FLAG AFTER! WOW I HOPE IM NOT DREAMING LIKE MR.....???? WHAT'S HIS NAME AGAIN???? PEACE!!! :peace: :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:42 pm 
Welterweight

That's good to hear from fellow Paclander in England. Pacman vs Scott is a bloody fight, Im sure of that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:19 pm 
Lightweight

Was attrocious writing was. Like Yoda written by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Watch out guys, this gent is the worse kind of racist of all. He just don't like the idea of a Filipino and a Mexican taking all the glory and gold. sometimes you have to read between the lines. We all know that neither Morales nor Pacquiao are past their prime yet he treats them like they're old men ready for the pasture.

He's interjecting Harrison a WASP (white anglo saxon protetant) into the picture. Sometimes you can just sense these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 pm 
Welterweight

BCngDC wrote:
Watch out guys, this gent is the worse kind of racist of all. He just don't like the idea of a Filipino and a Mexican taking all the glory and gold. sometimes you have to read between the lines. We all know that neither Morales nor Pacquiao are past their prime yet he treats them like they're old men ready for the pasture.

He's interjecting Harrison a WASP (white anglo saxon protetant) into the picture. Sometimes you can just sense these things.

Exactly. He seems to forget that the Pac-Morales fight is holding the record for the most PPV buys for the lower weights. The rematch will earn more, regardless of the Morales loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:59 pm 
Lightweight

BCngDC wrote:

nice observation. though i think i agree with him that it shouldn't be ppv since morales lost the fight. if it's going to be ppv, i don't think it should be worth as $50 again. $30 i think is fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:02 pm 
Heavyweight

the looping right arrived by invitation? Manny was tagged several times and he was not inviting somebody to hurt him. Velasquez is also a good fighter with more than 30KOs. It only happened that Manny is more skillful and powerful than him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:03 pm 
Heavyweight

BCngDC wrote:

Harrison? please .... :bounce1:

good one dad..

:beer:

Geico.com even a Pac NUTHUGGER can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:16 pm 
Mental :guillotine:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:20 pm 
Heavyweight

well call me a sucka cuz i'm definitely getting this PPV...REgardless of whatever some dipsh!t author writes...he can go and watch his B level harrsion, i'll watch two of the world's best go head up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:36 pm 
Cruiserweight

he must have lost a lot during the fight with EM and Zahir...
thats for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:56 pm 
Lightweight

taurused wrote:
the looping right arrived by invitation? Manny was tagged several times and he was not inviting somebody to hurt him. Velasquez is also a good fighter with more than 30KOs. It only happened that Manny is more skillful and powerful than him.

Taurused, I think you're misunderstanding the context Elasser was trying to convey in the article.

I'm a Manny fan myself, and I don't agree with everything he said in the article, but I do agree that whenever Manny threw his jab-jab-left, he's usually wide open for a counterpunch, and that's what he was/is referring to. You could call it an "invitation" of sorts, because his defenses did open up, and Velasquez took advantage of that opening. I'm sure that Freddie Roach will discuss with Manny about working more on his defense and other aspects in the upcoming months and resolve those issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:49 am 
Welterweight

JaM GuTZ wrote:
he must have lost a lot during the fight with EM and Zahir...
thats for sure

Maybe.....Money is the root of all evil.....Tsk, Tsk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:42 am 
Cruiserweight

Pacquiao-Morales II is for the filipinos and mexicans anyways. F*CK HIM..if you don't like it don't buy it. Nobody put a gun in his temple to force him to fight it. I think he's just being a cheapass.

I'd pay 75 bucks to watch them go at it...shhh, don't tell top rank that.