Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Cruiserweight

barakongbaog wrote:
loyski wrote:
I'm a fan of Gerry but he lost that fight. Had Gerry won, people will also call it a robbery.

True, you're a fan of Gerry but you don't know nothing about boxing.

LOL... I thought that Morel won and now other people call me a know-nothing about boxing. Dude boxing is subjective, do you have a problem with that? It was a close fight and either fighter could have won. It was far from being a robbery. Don't let your nationalism cloud your judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:17 pm 
Light Heavyweight

coolka wrote:
No matter how many times I watched the stupid bout between Penalosa vs Morel, Penalosa WON. From round 7 to 12 it was Penalosa's rounds all the way. Morel knows he didnt win, thats how a fight goes when stupid judges were around.

you know what, i agree with you. but that is how boxing goes,man. we have to respect the judges decision the way they saw it. otherwise, we will be a bitter nation, with lots of angry citizen who is ready to launch a people power revolution anytime.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:18 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I only give the Puta rican 3 clear rds. Gerry Won this Clearly. Clearer than the Ponce De leon fight. Fck the 2 judges they need new Prescription Glasses.!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:28 pm 
Middleweight

Since it can go either way, a rematch is the best solution to this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm 
Heavyweight

coolka wrote:
No matter how many times I watched the stupid bout between Penalosa vs Morel, Penalosa WON. From round 7 to 12 it was Penalosa's rounds all the way. Morel knows he didnt win, thats how a fight goes when stupid judges were around.

I am a big fan of Gerry, but I have to say, "No, it was not a robbery."

Morel started fast and piled up the early points, and Gerry came back in the second half of the fight with more determination. However, even in the late rounds when Gerry started to rally, he still failed to win the rounds in a convincing manner, which means the judges could still have given the late rounds to Morel.

Gerry is a highly skilled fighter, but the problem is, he is too laid back for comfort. He rarely takes chances even if it's clear that he is behind on points. He waits and waits and waits. He rarely throws punches, and if he does, he only throws one-two combos.

In a close fight, Gerry usually loses simply for lack of activity, such as the case when he lost to Daniel Ponce de Leon, Masamori Tokuyama, and In-Joo Cho.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Well, another sad fight for Gerry. I thought he could handle Morel just fine. :(

Bertrand Russel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
Heavyweight

i also thought gerry won but the bout is so close that it could really gone either way. as what the score cards tells us one judge had it 115-113 for morel while the other judge had it 115-113 for gerry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:42 pm 
Cruiserweight

loyski wrote:
I'm a fan of Gerry but he lost that fight. Had Gerry won, people will also call it a robbery.

'twas a close one, could have gone either way. i had hoped gerry would win. a draw would have been a more acceptable outcome.

gerry has to hang up his gloves imo. he still has the heart, no doubt, but his age is catching up w/ him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:53 pm 
Flyweight

I think Gerry ought to retire after this past fight. However, I also think he won this past fight. He dictated the tempo of the fight by the 5th round. Morel did not land anything that was effective after the 4th round. With 2 cut eyes (both caused by butts), Gerry was stalking Morel and landing shots to his body and face. Now, I believe that Gerry should retire because he does lack the explosion to finish off a fighter like Morel. A younger Penalosa would have knocked Morel out. But by the end of the fight, Gerry had done much more damage and was clearly the stronger fighter. Definitely not bad for a 38 year old!!

Last edited by Brownboy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:54 pm 
Heavyweight

It's a fair decision IMHO. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:47 pm 

I think Morel should have been deducted a point or two... but without the deductions, Morel seem to have won more rounds than gerry did. It was close, but I think Morel did enough to score a close decision...but then again, that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:52 pm 
Featherweight

It was a close one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm 
Welterweight

A fan of Gerry here,it was a close fight,wished the decision was for gerry...But I can't explain it,Gerry seems to look bad every time his opponent likes to hit and run,(In Joo Choo,Tokuyama)..I think thats the reason he lost...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:43 pm 
Heavyweight

That has been the sad story of Gerry's boxing career in close decision calls. Half of his losses should have been in his favor. Tough luck indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 pm 
Welterweight

Gerry won that fight to me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next