Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

should gerry retire?
yes, it's time and there's nothing more to prove 49%  49%  [ 21 ]
no, he's still good for 2 to 3 more fights 51%  51%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 43
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 am 
Heavyweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
WILLIAM REGAL wrote:
i would say at least 2 more fights for the FEARLESS ONE... it makes me proud to watch this guy giving his all for our COUNTRY!.. MABUHAY ka GERRY!

a rematch with morel is still the best fight out there. i if that's not possible, a fight with arce and/or darchinyan wouuld be great too!

I think a rematch with Morel is a "must" since his loss was a product of unfair decisions by BS judges...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 am 
Welterweight

TS is correct, fighting Arce is winnable for Gerry. He should fight those his own size and those who do not run like Arce, Darchinyan, Montiel, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am 
Heavyweight

As much as we want the “Fearless” Gerry P. to have a rematch against E. Morel of Puerto Rico, I think it is now up to the people of Top Rank if ever they should give Gerry another shot with either Arce or Darchinyan or even a chance for a rematch with Morel. I think Gerry could still fare well with either of this fighters or redeeming himself from that Puerto Rican for one final bout. However, Uncle Bob is so shrewd when it comes to matching-up his fighters especially the market they could bring on the table. Furthermore, I believe Bob Arum is now focusing for another project featuring again our Filipino fighters versus Latinos. One of which is probably between the “Filipino Flash” Nonito Jr. against F. Montiel or JuanMa against Abe Concepcion by late fall of this year. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Veteran international referee Bruce McTavish said yesterday he scored it 115-113 for Gerry Peñalosa in his interim WBO bantamweight title fight against Eric Morel and couldn’t understand how the San Carlos City southpaw lost a split 12-round decision at the Las Vegas Hilton last weekend.

McTavish, who has worked in over 100 world title bouts, said Morel got off to a strong start but Peñalosa clearly controlled the action in the last six rounds. He added that referee Russell Mora should’ve penalized Morel at least a point for repeated holding.

“Morel was warned three or four times for holding,” said McTavish. “If you’re the referee, you deduct a point after the third warning or else why issue a warning in the first place?

McTavish said the loss shouldn’t be a reason for Peñalosa to retire despite his age.

Former WBC secretary-general Rudy Salud, who was once Peñalosa’s manager, left the decision to retire up to the fighter.

“My heart tells me he should stop before he gets seriously hurt,” said Salud. “But if you compare Gerry with Filipino contenders like Ciso Morales, he’s way ahead so why should he stop? He might be one small step slower but he’s still good enough to win big fights.

Read More:
>>> http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ar ... egoryId=69

::: :D :::

With these comments from Ref Bruce McTavish & Rudy Salud (both Boxing Experts) ... i have nothing to add but hope for the best yet to come for Gerry Peñalosa! Gerry needs a few more Big Fights to prepare for his retirement & to be financially stable !!!

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Im thinking to start a thread like this one. To get the pulse of Pacland about Gerry Penalosa's future. Where do Gerry go from now? Should he consider the possibility to call it a day?

Lets consider his last 2 fights.

His fight against Juanma is a lopsided one. A onesided fight that Freddie Roach dont even consider it to last 12 rounds. Gerry was totally dominated by Juanma's youth, volume of punches and overall package (physical,height..etc).

Now, here is Morel fight. This time its a competetive loss. A loss he should not be ashamed of. Some ringside analysts even call it a Penalosa's win. Not Morel's. He has showed that he still got the guts to stand there with the likes of a veteran Morel and win. Sadly, the judges sees it the other way. We can never reversed the situation back. A decission was handed and we have to accept it.

For me, the "Fearless" has not yet lost his sting totally. And a retirement too soon for now. If he can get as rematch then fine. But if not, he has to move on. Arce is there, Montiel is there too. They will gladly accept a fight with the veteran Penalosa.

Lets give him 2 or 3 more fights. Lets see if the loosing streak is just a bad dream.

Mabuhay ka, Gerry.
When Pac is still hovering in obscurity, you are already our star. And I believe you can still shine even Pac is the brightest star in the boxing universe now..

Bertrand Russel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
Heavyweight

YO wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:
YO wrote:
Yes, his punches cannot hurt a fly now.

well morel himself on the post fight interview admitted being hurt by gerry's body shots. that's why he opted to box especially in the late rounds.

It is just a compliment. Words arer not actions. I bought the PPV and saw the action fight clearly.

you mean those who watched on the inetrnet sees
gerry is ahead on points, and u watched PPV you see it clearly Morel is winning? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm 
Welterweight

maybe 1 more fight, but that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 pm 
Heavyweight

ladykiller wrote:
Im thinking to start a thread like this one. To get the pulse of Pacland about Gerry Penalosa's future. Where do Gerry go from now? Should he consider the possibility to call it a day?

Lets consider his last 2 fights.

His fight against Juanma is a lopsided one. A onesided fight that Freddie Roach dont even consider it to last 12 rounds. Gerry was totally dominated by Juanma's youth, volume of punches and overall package (physical,height..etc).

Now, here is Morel fight. This time its a competetive loss. A loss he should not be ashamed of. Some ringside analysts even call it a Penalosa's win. Not Morel's. He has showed that he still got the guts to stand there with the likes of a veteran Morel and win. Sadly, the judges sees it the other way. We can never reversed the situation back. A decission was handed and we have to accept it.

For me, the "Fearless" has not yet lost his sting totally. And a retirement too soon for now. If he can get as rematch then fine. But if not, he has to move on. Arce is there, Montiel is there too. They will gladly accept a fight with the veteran Penalosa.

Lets give him 2 or 3 more fights. Lets see if the loosing streak is just a bad dream.

Mabuhay ka, Gerry.
When Pac is still hovering in obscurity, you are already our star. And I believe you can still shine even Pac is the brightest star in the boxing universe now..

Very well explained Bro...Go Gerry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm 
Bantamweight

At least one more fight for Gerry. Get him an easy fight so he retires at least with a win.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:05 pm 
Welterweight

retire. sad but yes.

GP is no longer that impressive. technically sound but lacks that "fire" anymore which is very important to impress the judges. i think most of us, fans & judges want the so called "action". i agree that he hurt Morel but just like what MP said, "pretend you're not hurt" because you're not only giving the opponent the chance to hit more but also the judges' impression. yes, he hurt morel but he lacks the flurry to impress the judges. robbed or not, GP is still one of the Best Pinoy boxers of all time. MATALINO. (trans: intelligent)

Fearless, not careless but too careful.

Gerry, it's time amigo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm 
Strawweight

Gerry need to retire before he get seriouly hurt like Gorrez. He can become a good trainer like his brother.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:49 pm 
Heavyweight

whatever he decides, ill support it, boxing is dangerous, it doesnt matter if youre a veteran or not. in gerry's case, he can stil fight, i can see it. he still have what it takes to fight the top fighters in bantam, but im not saying he should. he should go out the way he likes it, he has nothing more to prove. fearless and great. i have him 2nd next to pacman as the greatest filipino boxer in recent time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 pm 
Middleweight

REMATCH!!! IF HE LOSES, THEN CALL IT A DAY FOR IDOL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 pm 
Heavyweight

the real concern here is not the ability of Gerry as a fighter but how much punishment can he tolerate. We all know how mentally tough Gerry is and most contenders are still way below Gerrys' boxing skills but these guys are younger and tougher not mentally but physically. Gerry does not have the ability to recover from Physical beating (legal punch or illegal hits) during and after the fight. And only God knows how much damage he will rip when the time comes. So my vote, hang them up Gerry its not worth your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm 
Bantamweight

He just fought for the #1 contender and lost by a very close margin or won in most people's eyes. He needs to quit we he can't compete anymore. He still CAN.