Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 am 
Light Heavyweight

jonjon80 wrote:
joblak30 wrote:
I think this will be a much bettter fight for Gerry than Ponce de Leon, Vasquez's style is perfect for Penalosa!

great match up...

but fight De Leon first...

I would't mind Gerry going for either Vasquez or Marquez next, it would be a bigger fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:38 am 
Heavyweight

hack__you wrote:
^ I am just answering the post above you, he said nobody can beat Vazquez at 122 other than Marquez.

I dont think anyone would want to fight Caballero at 122. Good boxing skills, good power, and 5"11'

Vazquez may have the belts but it would require balls and all his guts and heart to beat "The Towering Inferno" Caballero :shock:

Then, correct your statement above. Vasquez is "The Man" in 122 no one else that's a fact. Line them up all to Vasquez, It's Ponce who is avoiding Caballero not Vasquez. Vasquez have lots of balls (di lang dalawa), saw the Marquez-Vasquez 3 fight?

Boxing is not basketball where height will always be an advantage, remember they are fighting at the same weight that's what matters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 am 
Lightweight

style wise, IV is a beast, people are comparing how iv fought fighters that gerry fought and who did better, gonzalez was beating gerry easily before he got hit with that body shot, i doubt that will ever happen again. everyone here on pacland talks how jmm has a boring style when gerry's style isnt as exciting. its almost the same style, gerry will get beat by a fighter like vasquez, styles make fights and vasquez's style beats gerry easily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm 
Heavyweight

i want to see this match but i don't like the idea of gerry fighting vasquez..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 pm 
Featherweight

knives574 wrote:
campeon_uno wrote:
joblak30 wrote:
I think this will be a much bettter fight for Gerry than Ponce de Leon, Vasquez's style is perfect for Penalosa!

israel vasquez can tko penalosa.. but penalosa has a chance to outbox him

i don't know but i think there is a bigger chance that vasquez could beat penalosa rather than the other way around

hehe,, have you watched gerry's previous fights??? he's so technical he barely threw punches.. he could have won against DPDL if he become more aggressive but he chooses to select and threw clean and accurate punches on which brings no appeal to many (it's forgettable if you are being swarmed). if he can double up his aggression he may have a chance.

good point there bro. penalosa's weakness was that he'd rather stick to his defensive counterpunching style rather than be aggressive and thats the main reason why he lost his fights. aggression is the key to beating offensive minded fighters like izzy. penalosa already has defense he just needs to become aggressive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
Featherweight

auror wrote:
For those not giving GP any chance against IV, here are some things to ponder:

GP has never been KOed nor Knocked Down in his career.

Bro, please see this. Gerry's first knocked down of his career:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J6nKwGMFH-U&feature=related

Have you ever heard of a boxer name Hammerpan? He knocked Gerry in a sparring match. But Hammerpan is way bigger than Gerry being a natural featherweight at that time.

Brgy. Ginebra TVC:

Gerry: "Kahit sino ka man, pagtinamaan ka ng isang matindi, KNOCKED DOWN KA! At paghindi ka na nakatayo... wala ka na."

Trans: No human chin can withstand a well-time, well-placed punch. There is only one way to go... the canvas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 pm 
Welterweight

cinderella_man wrote:
hack__you wrote:
^ I am just answering the post above you, he said nobody can beat Vazquez at 122 other than Marquez.

I dont think anyone would want to fight Caballero at 122. Good boxing skills, good power, and 5"11'

Vazquez may have the belts but it would require balls and all his guts and heart to beat "The Towering Inferno" Caballero :shock:

Then, correct your statement above. Vasquez is "The Man" in 122 no one else that's a fact. Line them up all to Vasquez, It's Ponce who is avoiding Caballero not Vasquez. Vasquez have lots of balls (di lang dalawa), saw the Marquez-Vasquez 3 fight?

Boxing is not basketball where height will always be an advantage, remember they are fighting at the same weight that's what matters.

I dont have to correct myself. Vazquez may be "THE MAN" but for me, Caballero is the "man" at 122
the difference is "THE MAN" means linear or belt holder but for me, the "man" means Style-wise, who is the hardest fighter to beat?
Vazquez may have the belts but style-wise, Caballero's style is hell for Vazquez, De Leon, Marquez, and Penalosa
Boxing is not basketball and height is not might in boxing, but REACH is!

Celestino Caballero
stance orthodox
height 5′ 11″
reach 72“

Israel Vazquez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 4½″
reach 66½“

Rafael Marquez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 5″
reach 68½“

Gerry Penalosa
stance southpaw
height 5′ 4″
reach 65“

Jhonny Gonzalez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 7½″
reach 71“

Daniel Ponce de Leon
stance southpaw
height 5′ 5″
reach 70“

Height
Caballero
Gonzalez
Marquez
De Leon
Vazquez
Penalosa

Reach
Caballero
Gonzalez
De Leon
Marquez
Vazquez
Penalosa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 pm 
Featherweight

this is my analysis.. gerry might frustrate izzy in the first few rounds but due to izzy being stronger and more comfortable to being 122lbs. he will be able to land big shots on gerry then tko him late

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm 
Welterweight

campeon_uno wrote:
this is my analysis.. gerry might frustrate izzy in the first few rounds but due to izzy being stronger and more comfortable to being 122lbs. he will be able to land big shots on gerry then tko him late

that is a likely scenario
but let us not downplay Gerry's chances, Ponce de Leon and Gonzalez punches harder than Vazquez but Gerry was able to withstand them.
The only problem Gerry has with De Leon and Gonzalez is the REACH, Gerry and Israel has almost the same height and reach!
Vazquez punches has more effect on Rafa because just like his brother, Rafa's chin is not that hard to crack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:19 pm 
Middleweight

It's a good match up Vasquez power Vs Penalosa's brain.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 pm 
Heavyweight

hack__you wrote:
cinderella_man wrote:
hack__you wrote:

I dont have to correct myself. Vazquez may be "THE MAN" but for me, Caballero is the "man" at 122
the difference is "THE MAN" means linear or belt holder but for me, the "man" means Style-wise, who is the hardest fighter to beat?
Vazquez may have the belts but style-wise, Caballero's style is hell for Vazquez, De Leon, Marquez, and Penalosa
Boxing is not basketball and height is not might in boxing, but REACH is!

Celestino Caballero
stance orthodox
height 5′ 11″
reach 72“

Israel Vazquez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 4½″
reach 66½“

Rafael Marquez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 5″
reach 68½“

Gerry Penalosa
stance southpaw
height 5′ 4″
reach 65“

Jhonny Gonzalez
stance orthodox
height 5′ 7½″
reach 71“

Daniel Ponce de Leon
stance southpaw
height 5′ 5″
reach 70“

Height
Caballero
Gonzalez
Marquez
De Leon
Vazquez
Penalosa

Reach
Caballero
Gonzalez
De Leon
Marquez
Vazquez
Penalosa

Reach is nothing if it will hit nothing but air. Vasquez known for his aggressiveness will muscle his way inside and KTFO of Caballero. His height will then be reduced to 3 inches coz he is lying in the canvass and cannot get-up. :lol:

Btw, Have you seen Caballero KO by a smaller guy name Jose Rojas? Have you seen Caballero having difficulty fighting Lacierva also a smaller guy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:06 pm 
Welterweight

Dagul_Denboy wrote:
Penalosa will get murdered

but Boom Boom has a chance to beat Vasquez by KO

yeah, boom boom might have a chance if he'll be given a free throw shot(punch) to the chin of IV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Sithrapal wrote:
auror wrote:
For those not giving GP any chance against IV, here are some things to ponder:

GP has never been KOed nor Knocked Down in his career.

Bro, please see this. Gerry's first knocked down of his career:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J6nKwGMFH-U&feature=related

Have you ever heard of a boxer name Hammerpan? He knocked Gerry in a sparring match. But Hammerpan is way bigger than Gerry being a natural featherweight at that time.

Brgy. Ginebra TVC:

Gerry: "Kahit sino ka man, pagtinamaan ka ng isang matindi, KNOCKED DOWN KA! At paghindi ka na nakatayo... wala ka na."

Trans: No human chin can withstand a well-time, well-placed punch. There is only one way to go... the canvas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 am 
Cruiserweight

hack__you wrote:
campeon_uno wrote:

that is a likely scenario
but let us not downplay Gerry's chances, Ponce de Leon and Gonzalez punches harder than Vazquez but Gerry was able to withstand them.
The only problem Gerry has with De Leon and Gonzalez is the REACH, Gerry and Israel has almost the same height and reach!
Vazquez punches has more effect on Rafa because just like his brother, Rafa's chin is not that hard to crack.

Let me remind you, bro, that JMM got Knocked down 3 times in the first round yet Pac wasn't able to finish him off. Also, in round 10 (i think) in their rematch, Pac landed a huge overhand left, right on JMM's chin then followed it up with a barrage. Yet Pac wasn't able to put him down. Do you still think his chin is not that hard to crack?

As for Rafa, we saw how solid IV's hits on him were. Just look at that wicked left hook that IV landed on round 3 of their second fight, for example. I'm pretty sure that guys like Boom2x would have went to dreamland if they were in Rafa's place...

Another thing bro... IV and Gonzalez gave what ever they could, and took as much as they could handle in their fight. And as you know, Gonzalez wasn't able to handle what IV gave him. We really can't tell if IV just had more resistance than Gonzalez, or if he just had more power. All I can say is, if their is such a difference in power between those guys that you mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's not much...

:D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 am 
Welterweight

^ you are barking on a wrong tree

what I'm saying is for power alone DPDL and Gonzalez are a much harder puncher than IV that's why if Gerry was able to handle DPDL's and JG's punches, he can handle IV's punches.

Penalosa

Punches vs. Chin
It means punches of DPDL and JG has no effect on Penalosa's Chin, I dont think IV's punches will have effect on Penalosa

Weakness
Penalosa's weakness is hit and run type boxers which IV is not

Strength
Penalosa's strength is on counter punching, he will not have a hard time finding IV since he is a come-forward type slugger

Israel Vasquez

Punches vs. Chin
He was TKO'd thrice and decisioned once, Penalosa has never been tko'd

Weakness
He was decisioned once by a not so great boxer in Marcos Licona and was Tko'd by Larios and Marquez. He was also dropped twice by Gonzalez
Vazquez is not a hit and run type of boxer, he is a SLUGGER

Strength
Vazquez will wear you down, punches in bunches, and will not be detered by any knockdowns

Prediction:
Vazquez will take early lead until Gerry figures him out, Gerry will drop him once or twice to a TKO/UD or a controversial SD/UD

Some judge may want volume punching that only hit the gloves of Gerry and some will want Gerry's counterpunching

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next