Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
Heavyweight

EYB wrote:
GP is like JMM when it comes on how badly needed the fight. but GP didnt go to Mex to call DPDL

Gerry, a true student of the sports did the cryin' calling out Ponce in classy way not like JMM - "chipipay" act ... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Heavyweight

cinderella_man wrote:
EYB wrote:
GP is like JMM when it comes on how badly needed the fight. but GP didnt go to Mex to call DPDL

Gerry, a true student of the sports did the cryin' calling out Ponce in classy way not like JMM - "chipipay" act ... :lol:

:biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Middleweight

abdominal shot wrote:
erinkeon wrote:
Gerry's only chance is to win via KO, otherwise the result would just be the same as the first, 1400 punches vs 400 puches of Gerry, OPDL is a puching machine

grabe ka naman! Try to watch their fight again. Most of the bombs of Ponce did not land. Gerry wont call the champions name if
he thinks he cant handle him. Gerry is not only looking for money, he is also cementing his legacy.

yes I know, Gerry threw the clearer punches, and if I was one of the judges, I will award the fight to Gerry, but judges give credit to the volume of punches that DPDL threw, 1400 vs 400 punches, eventhough most of the 1400 puches didn't land, it will still give the impression that he's dominating the fight. This is the reason why I said that Gerry's only chance is to KO DPDL, otherwise Judges will still award the fight no doubt to the busier/more aggressive fighter.
I'm just being realistic, but of course I believe Gerry can KO and even outbox DPDL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 pm 
Bantamweight

This would be a good fight, however one should go back in history and check the caliber of the boxers to whom he lost. In Joo Cho and Masatori Tokuyama. Both fighters are taller than Gerry and he had great difficulty chasing boxers with longer reach. Both guys have "hit" and "run" styles that made Gerry look bad in the eyes of the judges. I saw both of his fights with In Joo Cho and have no complaints about the decision.

Against Daniel Ponce de Leon, Gerry will again face a relentless, gung-ho puncher with a very high work rate. Taller, younger, faster and stronger. Unless Penalosa changes his style and punches rapid fire attacks like his polio-stricken brother Dodie Boy used to do (after Pacquiao, he is the fastest Filipino boxer in terms of punch launched that I have seen), I think he will not stand a chance against de Leon, not even during his prime. He lost to Cho and Tokuyama during his prime and both will eat dust if matched against de Leon.

Gerry is the Philippines answer to Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez boxing savvy. Cool, accurate, calculated but sometimes, and I say sometimes boring, especially for judges. DPDL throws punches with reckless abandon, whether they land or not. From the point of view of the judges scoring the fight, this can mean more rounds won.

I say, I like Gerry's boxing genius, but his style is not fit for fighters of DPDL's character. Like the fight with Jhonny Gonzales, the body punch was the victory punch. Without it, I am certain he could have lost that fight as well.

Gerry, I wish you all the best. Hope you prove me wrong. I am no detractor, just a boxing fan who would like to see world-beaters just like you overcome the opposition.

Mabuhay Ka!!!! :combo:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:48 pm 
Welterweight

Still a great match-up. A fight which exemplifies Gerry's moniker. However, this time around, I think Gerry is more beatable than DPL. He has more kinks in his armor than DPL. If victory is the prime consideration he could just use his advantage in age, reach and power to frustrate Gerry. He'll be employing what Jhonny Gonzalez did by using his jab and running circles around him. The only thing Gerry could do is counter; nothing more nothing less.

If he becomes active, he might get caught and enter an uncharted territory. If chooses to be passive, DPL's aggression and status as a champion will outgun the Filipino technician and be preferred more by the judges.

Gerry is great but I am of the opinion that he should just hang his gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:49 pm 
Middleweight

cinderella_man wrote:
erinkeon wrote:
Gerry's only chance is to win via KO, otherwise the result would just be the same as the first, 1400 punches vs 400 puches of Gerry, OPDL is a puching machine

The question is if those punches thrown by Ponce landed on Gerry during their first fight. Ponce was schooled by Gerry during that time and graduated with the highest punches received from Gerry. 8)

in our point of view as Gerry's fans yes he schooled DPDL and with all honesty, I thought the fight could have gone either way, it's just depends how the Judges saw it, but Judges don't think the same way we think, they have their own set of standards and it varies amongst them, but most of them go for the busier fighter, so Gerry should threw more punches than DPDL to win a decision or to be more sure he should KO DPDL.
Watch Gerry's fight against DPDL and Johnny Gonzalez, if he haven't KO Johnny then he would had lose again by decision...this is my point, he need a KO...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm 
Heavyweight

EYB wrote:

LOL you made me laugh. :lol:
cinderella_man wrote:
EYB wrote:

hehehe... jmm will be remembered for his act. LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

This time Jerry is gonna school Ponce de Leon for good....If the first fight proved futile for Jerry which I don't think he lost, the second fight will determine Jerry's legacy in the boxing world....Go Jerry!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 pm 
Heavyweight

erinkeon wrote:
cinderella_man wrote:
erinkeon wrote:

The question is if those punches thrown by Ponce landed on Gerry during their first fight. Ponce was schooled by Gerry during that time and graduated with the highest punches received from Gerry. 8)

in our point of view as Gerry's fans yes he schooled DPDL and with all honesty, I thought the fight could have gone either way, it's just depends how the Judges saw it, but Judges don't think the same way we think, they have their own set of standards and it varies amongst them, but most of them go for the busier fighter, so Gerry should threw more punches than DPDL to win a decision or to be more sure he should KO DPDL.
Watch Gerry's fight against DPDL and Johnny Gonzalez, if he haven't KO Johnny then he would had lose again by decision...this is my point, he need a KO...

Those judges must consider again reviewing the criteria on how to judge a boxing fight. 8)

how about ring generalship, effective aggression, good defense, what the heck they are watching... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 pm 
Middleweight

If Gerry wants to win against the like of Ponce, he needs to throw a lot of punches.
Be more aggressive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:25 am 
Welterweight

thesilentkiller wrote:
If Gerry wants to win against the like of Ponce, he needs to throw a lot of punches.
Be more aggressive.

very correct man! looking good with his defensive style for me will not win fights . he should be active with his punches. unless he is looking for one knockout punch which he don't have, its hard for gerry to win against de leon. fighting agressively without fear is the his only chance against de leon! " go gerry go"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:22 am 
Light Heavyweight

cinderella_man wrote:
erinkeon wrote:

actually, even if dpdl missed many of his punches, he still outlanded gp - so it was gp who had the highest punches received. you cant expect to be out punched by a THOUSAND punches and still think you can outland and outscore your opponent. gp clearly LOST the first fight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 am 
Cruiserweight

Gerry should stay in his division IMO.

De Leon is too tall and big for Gerry to KO and De Leon will just run away and use his reach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:44 am 
Light Heavyweight

Sometimes it is a matter of how a judge sees the fight also.

There are judges who credits volume of punches, and there are those who focus on the effectivity of the punches.

Gerry has started reinventing himself already, and has began to throw more punches in his last two fights.

In the fight against Gonzalez, GP was already initiating the attack by trying to get inside the zone of JG. This is unlike his losses to in Joo Cho wherein he was content in countering thus got peppered from the outside.

He now understands that fighting a taller opponent means having to take punches while trying to close the distance. That is why he was losing to Gonzalez on points, because he was not just waiting on the outside anymore. He was intent on getting inside, where he could do the damage.

Against Vorapin, it was the busiest Penalosa I have seen in a long time, and I have watched many of his fights already.

Defense and work rate would be GP's answer against DPDL. DPDL would never outwork GP inside, and if GP gets inside I assure you DPDL's head would be snapping back from time to time.

Sometimes it is not the size of the dog that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 am 
Heavyweight

punch drunk wrote:
cinderella_man wrote:
erinkeon wrote:

actually, even if dpdl missed many of his punches, he still outlanded gp - so it was gp who had the highest punches received. you cant expect to be out punched by a THOUSAND punches and still think you can outland and outscore your opponent. gp clearly LOST the first fight.

show me the compubox stats and i'm good.
GP won against Ponce in their first fight IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next