Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 am 
Featherweight

Pacquiao floors concert crowd

Months of promotional ads promised the appearance of an athlete who's been described as pound-for-pound, the best boxer in the world -- but they didn't say whether he would sing.

He didn't disappoint. Manny Pacquiao was instantly illuminated when he stepped into the spotlight from the back of a pitch black stage during the Songbird and Songwriter concert at the University of Guam field house Feb. 7.

Pacquiao -- aka Pacman -- began with a Tagalog song from the first of two albums he released in the Philippines. He smiled at the screaming crowd as he sang "Para Sa'yo Laban Na'to."

"I felt excited, happy because there's a lot of people coming to this show," Pacquiao said during an exclusive interview with the Pacific Daily News after the show. "You know they're all our family."

Although fans were excited to see Regine Velasquez, known as the Songbird, and Ogie Alcasid, called the Songwriter, Pacquiao was the reason some families spent hundreds of dollars for tickets.

"He went from an average fighter to a world champion, world class, amazing," said Tamuning resident Joel Ollet. "The way he tries to improve himself ... he sacrifices a lot of time."

The Marianas Energy Co. worker is the sole provider for his family, but he decided the cost was worth it. Ollet, 45, initially bought $30 general admission tickets for his wife, niece and sister. But after they arrived, he decided to upgrade to the VIP section -- spending $200 total for all four tickets.

Pacquiao appreciated that fans came out to see him, especially during tough economic times.

"Thank you to all the fans who come here tonight," he said when told about families paying hundreds to see him in a down economy. "I'm very, very happy. Thank you very much."

The 30-year-old World Boxing Council lightweight champion said he was " a little bit" nervous before making his Guam singing debut, but he was satisfied with his performance. He hinted that he would like to have a singing career after retiring from boxing.

"So far, so good. Every time I sing my songs ... they like my songs. Maybe after my boxing career, I need to focus on that -- my singing," he said.

Right now, he doesn't have time to dedicate hours of training to improve his vocal skills.

"In singing, I don't have enough time to practice. I sing sometimes but not every day. Not like training in boxing. I train every day." he said.

Pacquiao exercised his ability to harmonize when he sang a tune with Alcasid and Philippine TV star Dingdong Dantes. The two singers put their arms around Pacquiao as they belted out "Nandito Ako" a well-known song composed by Alcasid.

Dantes was starstruck by the chance to sing with his idol.

"To sing along with him, it's really an honor ... something I can brag to my family and to my father," he said. "My father is his number one fan."
A big fight

Pacquiao's aspirations as a singer have not deterred him from his next goal: to win a May 2 fight against Ricky "the Hitman" Hatton -- International Boxing Federation's junior welterweight champion.

"I just pray hard and train hard," he said. "I have to maintain my situation right now. I have to maintain being a pound-for-pound (champion).

Pacquiao defied expectations when he won his last fight against boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya on Dec. 6, 2008. Critics said he was too small to win against the much bigger De La Hoya -- but Pacquiao dominated the fight from start to finish.

"That fight is very important for me to win," Pacquiao said to the PDN. "I'm very happy because I bring honor to our country and I mean, it's history in boxing. It's already history in boxing. I'm very, very happy."

What can you say PACLANDERS?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:25 am 
Heavyweight

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 am 
Light Heavyweight

i smell a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:51 am 
Heavyweight

he is only 2nd to yoyoy villame :beeh: :beeh:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]