Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:06 am 
Lightweight

I am a boxing fan since I was a kid. My dad, used to be an amateur boxer and he taught us enough to defend ourselves in the streets. I love watching fights on RPN 9 before. I loved watching the likes of Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Vargas, Dela hoya, Tyson pummel thier foes into submission.

I also loved watching pinoy boxers fight for the title, the earliest I could remember was BadBoy Navarette getting KOed by Bazooka Limon if I remember right. Then there was Doddie Boy Penalosa, who despite his bum leg was quite feared in his division. Then there was Louie Espinosa.

I hate to admit it, but during Louie's reign, I wasn't really proud at all that he represents the best of Philippine boxing. The knockout wins of his was fun to watch but the live fights was the contrary. I know he could land a big one and that's it for the opposition, but his chin is so suspect, I know that if his opponent lands a clean one on him, its all over. I would crouch in one corner of the sofa everytime he fights, hoping that he could at least last the whole boxing match and end up with a decision. Louie also fights better when he's outside of the country, the fights he did here was mediocre at best he was even KOed in a championship match here if i'm not mistaken.

Louie was a Champ, no doubt about that, he's a filipino and we're proud of him for his acheivements, thank god his reign is over...I don't want to feel that fear of one of our champs being KOed again - that's what I remember most about Louie, his chin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:32 pm 
Cruiserweight

i think u are talking about his fight with israel contreras.....ya he lost in that fight. But that is not the end of his career. after that he had more wins than loses....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:42 pm 
Heavyweight

espinosa was the shhit back in the days :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:59 pm 
Welterweight

optvpixelpusher wrote:
I am a boxing fan since I was a kid. My dad, used to be an amateur boxer and he taught us enough to defend ourselves in the streets. I love watching fights on RPN 9 before. I loved watching the likes of Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Vargas, Dela hoya, Tyson pummel thier foes into submission.

I also loved watching pinoy boxers fight for the title, the earliest I could remember was BadBoy Navarette getting KOed by Bazooka Limon if I remember right. Then there was Doddie Boy Penalosa, who despite his bum leg was quite feared in his division. Then there was Louie Espinosa.

I hate to admit it, but during Louie's reign, I wasn't really proud at all that he represents the best of Philippine boxing. The knockout wins of his was fun to watch but the live fights was the contrary. I know he could land a big one and that's it for the opposition, but his chin is so suspect, I know that if his opponent lands a clean one on him, its all over. I would crouch in one corner of the sofa everytime he fights, hoping that he could at least last the whole boxing match and end up with a decision. Louie also fights better when he's outside of the country, the fights he did here was mediocre at best he was even KOed in a championship match here if i'm not mistaken.

Louie was a Champ, no doubt about that, he's a filipino and we're proud of him for his acheivements, thank god his reign is over...I don't want to feel that fear of one of our champs being KOed again - that's what I remember most about Louie, his chin.

Yup, Espinosa is a pure boxer, Knocking out his opponent is a bonus. You're right that he fights better outside the country.

What I remember most about King Louie is his fight against Cobrita Gonzales (my favorite Espinosa's fight) held at Guadalajara Mexico. As what Mr. Manny Pinol relayed in his article, The night b4 the fight, the mexicans are already celebrating (even with live band at the hotel where louie is staying). But what happen was shock to all of them. Louie won by KO in Round No. 4. Cobrita was taken out of the ring by a stretcher.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm 
Strawweight

lance pogi wrote:
What I remember most about King Louie is his fight against Cobrita Gonzales (my favorite Espinosa's fight) held at Guadalajara Mexico. As what Mr. Manny Pinol relayed in his article, The night b4 the fight, the mexicans are already celebrating (even with live band at the hotel where louie is staying). But what happen was shock to all of them. Louie won by KO in Round No. 4. Cobrita was taken out of the ring by a stretcher.

That was probably the toughest fight Louie had to win. He had to beat Cobrita like a pulp in a very hostile place with all the circumstances in his disadvantage.

The funny thing about that match was how Gov. Pinol and Recah Trinidad were shouting after the knockout. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm 
Welterweight

optvpixelpusher wrote:

His chin? hahaha true he has been KO'd in the chin but it isnt a glass chin. Israel Contreras KO him in the body, he survived against hardhitter cesar soto twice losing once, winning once. he aint a glass jaw like boom2x.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:50 pm 
Flyweight

Shadowfox wrote:
optvpixelpusher wrote:

His chin? hahaha true he has been KO'd in the chin but it isnt a glass chin. Israel Contreras KO him in the body, he survived against hardhitter cesar soto twice losing once, winning once. he aint a glass jaw like boom2x.

I have to agreee....:) its the same situation as when pacquiao lost to madgeon 3k batter, espinosa was so dehydrated and weak before the fight start... i also don't think he has a glass chin, one time when he fight somewhere in mindanao, if i remember it right its in koronadal.. he was hit so hard by a headbutt he believe that it was a punch that hit him.. :)
but he survive and koed his opponent.. i believe its the argentinian del rios..... he was'nt even paid in that fight.. Espinosa is one of my favorite fighter because he has a big heart and an even bigger brain.. in that fight with "el maso contreras" he wanted so much to get up after being hit, punching the canvass in the frustration that hes too weak to do so.... give justice to espinosa, the thicked faced gov. should pay the money he owes louie... if not, there should be some punishment imposed... it's really a shame...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:02 am 
Heavyweight

Master J wrote:
espinosa was the shhit back in the days :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Espinosa was a classy fighter, a purists dream. Problem was, he was not that attractive. He fought a little too late in the US.

I watched him once, live in Ninoy Aquino stadium. The fight ended in one round only. One of the undercards was Gerry P, who was my idol then. He messed up the face of his opponent. Luisito had his brother in the undercard too, and I wonder what happened to his brother.

Also, in both fights Luisito had with Sotto, I believed he won both. The second fight was a more clear win for him, as the first one was close. Had he beaten Sotton in their second fight, Luisito would have been bigger as he would have clearly beat Prince Hamed (who was reportedly avoiding him). I guess, it was not to be. Barrera instead did the favor in whipping Hamed.

Pacquiao was not popular then, but his name pops out from time to time. I used to have a colleague who takes bets for Pacman. Well, those were the very early Pacman days.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 am 
Middleweight

The LOOPING LEFT HOOK...that's Louie's bread and butter and it came from such an angle that an opponent would most often not see it. I don't see anybody using that kind of a punch these days...and remember now, Louie's an orthodox boxer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:24 am 
Lightweight

i remember i use to work with him at solitas restaurant/club. i remember him training me. i remember him sparring with me and catching me with a shot to my liver n i called TIMEOUT....and i was on da floor trying to catch y breath..i remember him only having only to kids john and donica, i remember ate cherry his wife used to picked us up at fairtex gym at daly city. i remember him bringing me and my dad to da MAYWeather vs chavez fight at civic center....that was the fight when PACMAN fought a dirty fighter...i have sooooooooo much memories with him......but really the Sh** i remember s his LEFT HOOK!!! crazy !!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:30 am 
Middleweight

PACMAN10402 wrote:
i remember i use to work with him at solitas restaurant/club. i remember him training me. i remember him sparring with me and catching me with a shot to my liver n i called TIMEOUT....and i was on da floor trying to catch y breath..i remember him only having only to kids john and donica, i remember ate cherry his wife used to picked us up at fairtex gym at daly city. i remember him bringing me and my dad to da MAYWeather vs chavez fight at civic center....that was the fight when PACMAN fought a dirty fighter...i have sooooooooo much memories with him......but really the Sh** i remember s his LEFT HOOK!!! crazy !!!

Yup, he does have a wicked left hook.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:58 am 
Welterweight

I recently met him and he's such a humble man. We even exchange cell #s. After his day job, he trains a young boy and I believe a lady boxer too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:23 am 
Middleweight

tulindoy wrote:
I recently met him and he's such a humble man. We even exchange cell #s. After his day job, he trains a young boy and I believe a lady boxer too.

Poor Louie..I hope everything works out for him in the near future..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:49 am 
Light Heavyweight

What I remember, other than he was a very sound boxer, was that he always seem to be dehydrated in his fights he always looked so lanky. He also likes to wear his shorts to high :D .

Unfortunately, the most I can remember is how cruel the sport can be, especially if you are screwed by your own kababayan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 am 
Heavyweight

mykid234 wrote:
What I remember, other than he was a very sound boxer, was that he always seem to be dehydrated in his fights he always looked so lanky. He also likes to wear his shorts to high :D .

Unfortunately, the most I can remember is how cruel the sport can be, especially if you are screwed by your own kababayan.

...yeah, until now he has not yet collected his talent fee... he was screwd hy the promoter and a gover from the south...