Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:05 am 
Heavyweight

racer.x.rocks.PG wrote:
The LOOPING LEFT HOOK...that's Louie's bread and butter and it came from such an angle that an opponent would most often not see it. I don't see anybody using that kind of a punch these days...and remember now, Louie's an orthodox boxer.

he's a natural southpaw, man. converted into an rightie by his daddy. hence, the wicked left hook. followed up by an equally wicked right cross.

miniature tommy hearns. including the unstable whiskers. hehe.

- stephen jay gould

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:08 am 
Heavyweight

no offense to certain born again christians here, but a certain born-again group in manila reportedly ruined lui's career when they tried to control everything about lui, including his management and who he fought and where.

- stephen jay gould

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:14 am 
Light Heavyweight

As what I've remember about King Louie is his lost against a Mexican fighter(Cobrita ata) in which the fight was held in Manila...nanuod pa nga doon si President Ramos.and another one,it was held in Mindanao wherein panalo siya via tko against Rios...best to be remembered about Espinosa is that he was avoided by the Prince Nasem Hamed back then...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:51 am 
Heavyweight

He was a lanky and tall warrior on his division. His successive left hooks is his trademark. He is even considered by some writers in the U.S. as the "Tommy Hearns" of featherweight.

The most memorable thing I remember (that I don't want to), is that, until now, he has not gotten his purse yet of $150,000 in his title defense against Carlos Rios of Argentina held in 1998 in Mindanao. The case was already filed. To the promoter and the dumb judges that handles the case, give Louie what is due to him, SH***T ON YOU to whoever is behind this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:27 am 
Light Heavyweight

king louie was my favorite boxer of all time,i grew up through the years watching his fight from his 1st round k.o. of khaokor galaxy to his lost to guti espadas,..the thing i most remember with louie is how he beats up his opponents to a pulp when he hurt them,just ask cobrita gonzales in their 2nd fight,kennedy mckinney and more...his boxing skills is very decent as well,thats why morales cant jump to the featherweight division not until his skills were winding down because he know he can be beaten by lindol,..hope eventually he will get the money that de pero owes him... :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:03 am 
Heavyweight

I remember him as the most mis-managed world champion in Philippine History.. Curse those who stole from him...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:13 am 
Middleweight

Gabrielle wrote:
I remember him as the most mis-managed world champion in Philippine History.. Curse those who stole from him...

The next most mismanaged Philippine Champion would have been the Pacman. We were glad we spotted first the scheming duo of Murad Mohammad and Nazario....Magtitinda sana si Pakyaw ng guto ngayon....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:49 am 
Welterweight

king louie used the sign of the cross before every fight .. not until he met his wife and turned born again.. later the same wife abandoned him...lesson.. yes .. stand by your principle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:09 am 
Heavyweight

oh man,that dreaded left hook,Louie was my fave fighter then,IMO he was one of the best technical fighter our country has ever produce,poor management though on his career...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 am 
Cruiserweight

LUISITO ESPINOSA IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME PINOY BOXING FAVORITE...i have collected 30 of his fights from different sources and i still watch e'm every now and then... yup, the looping left hook is one of his killer punch...i just wished he would have faced hamed at the height of his title reign and beat that overhyped punk... too bad barrera did that honor when espinosa could have done it better...BEFORE PACMAN , there was ESPINOSA who feasted on them mexican fighters...peace.

...I look at the stonecutter hammering away at his rock,perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,and i know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:31 am 
Heavyweight

I remember Louie fighting at the Luneta. He won after a cut was inflicted to him via a head butt, I believe. I don't remember his opponents name only that the challenger could have been from Mexico. He was hurt from that fight as his opponent effectively cut him off the ring to throw combinations as Espinoza was trapped on the ropes. He won on the cards but was visibly doubtful of his chances to retain his belt. The judges gave it to him but he didn't look like a happy champion. Had not been for the cut he may have had a diffrent demeanor. I liked how the foreign commentators thought his ring savvy from getting off the ropes was a delight and how beautifuly he boxed from the outside and executed every veteran move in the bout.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:49 am 
Strawweight

louie is a great boxer... one of my idols, a like him than pacman..
one of the best ferformance of his career is with his fight with the american olympian
mcnelly... great fight also with cobrita gonsalez... hope he will become a hall of famer...