Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:41 am 
Cruiserweight

The MetroPCS ZTE ZMax Pro is a lot of smartphone especially when it's free compared to the AT&T ZTE ZMax 2 that I posted about on another thread which went as low as $60 but never for free. It has most if not all and then some (it has FM Radio) of the features of comparable flagship phones including a fingerprint scanner but not laden with the usual flagship bloated proprietary UI layer. It's as close to stock Android Marshmallow as you can get outside of Google phones. The original MetroPCS ZMax Pro full price is $179 but available for $99 with an instant rebate program. There was an additional in-store-only promotional rebate (I'm not sure if it's still currently on though) of up to $100 on phones if you port in an existing active number with a caveat that such a number must not already be in the T-Mobile network.

In my particular case, my established number was already in the T-Mobile network with another MVNO. But there's always a way around things. It's really not that difficult to obtain an active phone number nowadays (just need to be a bit creative about it) so I did just that and took that temporary disposable number which was not in the T-Mobile network to MetroPCS and ported it in with one of their prepaid plans. My original goal was just to get an activated ZMax Pro for free which is carrier-locked with MetroPCS and spend around $20 for an unlocking service from feebay and then just switch in the SIM card of my established number with the other MVNO after unlocking. However, I discovered during the process that MetroPCS offered better prepaid plans than the other MVNOs including no additional taxes and regulatory fees which is usually a significant monthly amount and therefore saving more money and will "unlock" the phone after 3 months. So instead, I went back to the store and changed the disposable temporary number by porting in yet again my establish number and...voila!...a free unlocked ZTE ZMax Pro with my established number and even further savings on my monthly bill to boot not to mention not spending additional money for an unlocking service from feebay.

Note that MetroPCS uses the T-Mobile (US) network (i.e. a T-Mobile MVNO). That said, the phone is also offered by T-Mobile at the same $179/$99 price point albeit without the additional in-store-only instant $100 rebate for porting in an existing active number and dirt-cheap prepaid plans which usually connotes cheapened services but that is not usually true. The last time I checked, my downstream/upstream MetroPCS speeds are 35Mbps/28MBps respectively compared to my prior T-Mobile MVNO which only did around 23/21. My even much earlier very expensive flagship carrier only did 2Mbps/0.6Mbps at the most. Go figure.

Even at $99, it's still a lot of smartphone for the price.

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/phones/details/ZTE-ZMAX-PRO/610214647405

More detailed specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_zmax_pro-8096.php

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 am 
Cruiserweight

My kumpare just got the phone and informed me that the $100 in-store-only rebate for porting in an active number is no longer currently offered; it's $60 instead. So the ZTE Zmax Pro would now cost $39 ($99-$60) instead of getting it for free. That's still a heck of a dirt-cheap deal for a smartphone with flagship features and nice specs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:36 pm 
Cruiserweight

BTW, the picture I posted with my OP above shows almost the actual size of the phone (image is about a quarter-inch shorter on both length and width). So it's indeed a big phone (phablet) with a 6-inch screen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 am 
Cruiserweight

"ZTE Zmax Pro Review 6 months Later is it still worth buying?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFcTQVErNdI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am 
Cruiserweight

"ZTE ZMax Pro NO BS Review"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4830LFOhlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:58 am 
Cruiserweight

"5 Secret & Hidden ZTE Zmax Pro Features"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTX7yL2Lcc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 pm 
Cruiserweight

"ZTE ZMax Pro 2 weeks later"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTf0pgGkXQ

The following video is actually shot with a ZTE Zmax Pro as mentioned at 0:52 on the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZDPc_Aw04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

"Galaxy Note 7 vs ZTE ZMax Pro Comparison"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S76wVu_YDtI

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 pm 
Cruiserweight

Google made the Google search bar persistent at the top of all screens in Marshmallow. It cannot be removed (effectively shoving it down our collective throats whether we like it or not). Some phones are able to remove the obtrusive search bar (just like any other widget/shortcut) with a removal feature coded into their respective custom UI/launcher. Since ZTE keeps its Android implementation on their devices as close to stock Android as possible , the search bar cannot be removed on the ZMax Pro out of the box. Obviously, rooting it would seem to be the sure-fire solution which I try to avoid if I can help it. Fortunately, I got rid of the pesky search bar that occupies a significant real estate on my screens without resorting to rooting.

My home screen; before and after removing the eyesore:

Image -- Image

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:36 am 
Cruiserweight

Note that FDE (Full-Disk Encryption) is now mandatory in Android 6.0 Marshmallow as long as the device's specs meets the minimum requirement. The ZTE ZMax Pro is obviously way beyond such minimum standards. Therefore, FDE is enabled by default upon initial setup. This is where the fingerprint sensor is most useful (not having to enter PIN or password to decrypt and access the device and its contents).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 pm 
Cruiserweight

"Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs ZTE Zmax Pro (flagship of the year vs budget device of the year for 2016)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tciYkhKh_M0

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am 
Cruiserweight

I haven't really jumped into the VR (Virtual Reality) bandwagon. I think the PC/console-based ones (Rift, Vibe, etc.) are still a bit clunky and cumbersome and pricey (around $800). I have no motivation to early-adopt since I don't even game nowadays. But since Google introduced the Cardboard VR platform a couple of years ago, smartphone-based VR has proliferated by leaps and bounds. There are a lot of VR apps/media players/contents/experiences (180/360 3D) that are available out there.

I was curious and tried out the ZTE ZMax Pro with a VR headset. However, I didn't want to spend $50-$200 for the midrange and premium branded ones. Besides, some of the branded sets (i.e. Samsung Gear VR, LG 360 VR) are specifically dedicated to some of their respectively smartphones as opposed to being "universal". So I opted to go for the made-in-China-special (they're all made there but you know what I mean) budget sub-$10 headset (includes a Bluetooth remote controller/game pad) which are well-constructed (plastic material) than the $15 Google Cardboard and similar sets which are literally made of cardboard with a couple of magnifying lenses attached to each one of them. A budget VR headset for a budget smartphone, right?

Result: I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 am 
Cruiserweight

A screenshot from a 360° wingsuit experience video on the ZTE ZMax Pro. Posting a 2D screenshot of a 360° stereoscopic content doesn't really do justice. You really have to view it through a VR headset to appreciate and vicariously live the "experience".

Tip: with 180° / 360° VR contents, it's ideal to sit on a freely rotating chair. Otherwise, you'll get a stiff neck/whiplash. Standing is not advisable either as you'll end up falling on your azz or bump into your furniture. :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm 
Cruiserweight

kulukuy wrote:
...my downstream/upstream MetroPCS speeds are 35Mbps/28MBps respectively...

I lied back then but today, I'm telling the truth :biglaugh: . The MetroPCS 4G LTE downstream/upstream speed on the ZTE ZMAX Pro is actually 63.68 Mbps/35.86 Mbps respectively with an instantaneous 27 ms ping (the test was done indoors). Here's the proof: