Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Xiaomi Mi 3 review: An Android smartphone that delivers high-end performance at a mid-range price
By Kaylene Hong, Thursday, 6 Mar '14 , 08:00pm
Previous Next
13 comments

Popular Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi released its third-generation Android smartphone in September last year, but the device is only just making its way beyond Greater China and into Singapore today.

The Southeast Asian country marks Xiaomi’s first stop in its march overseas. The company has already released its lowest-cost smartphone in its range of devices, the Redmi, to a warm welcome in Singapore. Though Xiaomi refused to release figures, the first batch of Redmi phones sold out in eight minutes when launched on February 21, while the second batch, which followed six days later, sold out in six minutes. The enthusiasm for the Redmi is perhaps not unexpected — the handset sells for just S$169 ($134), thus widening its potential appeal.

The real test comes as Xiaomi’s flagship Mi 3 goes on sale with a price tag of S$419 ($332) unlocked, nearly triple the price of the Redmi. If the Mi-3 does well in Singapore, it could very well give competitors including Samsung, HTC and LG cause for concern.
Design and display

Xiaomi’s flagship phone is an extremely slim and light device, measuring 5-inches with a thickness of a mere 8.1mm and weighing in at only 145g. Its slim build is the only outstanding feature about its looks though — other than that, the rectangular phone is a bit clunky and doesn’t sit well in my hands.

As for the screen, the Mi 3′s 1080p IPS display produces a fantastic resolution — so visuals and text are extremely clear, while the colors are brilliant and consistent from any angle. What’s more, the screen is very sensitive to touch, which makes it much easier to play games that require you to tap on the display (think Flappy Bird-style). Indeed, one of the nifty features touted by Xiaomi is that even when you are wearing gloves during the harshest of winters and struggling to use your phone, the Mi 3 screen still responds to your touch, just like the Nokia Lumia 1020.

The software design is where Xiaomi’s devices really shine though. This is the first time that Xiaomi is launching its highly-customizable MIUI firmware, which is based on Android, officially in English. The Mi-3 runs on Android 4.3 optimized with MIUI version 5. Xiaomi Global VP Hugo Barra previously noted that it was a big challenge as the team had to change a lot of things around the UI to accommodate English characters. The result of all that hard work, however, is impressive. The UI is simple and easy to navigate, while you can easily customize the look of your phone via different themes.

And here we come to what I love best about Xiaomi’s devices — its themes, which are basically different outfits for the phone. In conjunction with its move into Singapore, Xiaomi released two new themes to commemorate the city, and there are many great-looking ones in the theme store available to download for free. They show up particularly well on the Mi 3 due to the high-resolution screen, and it’s a joy to be able to change the entire look and feel of your phone so easily when you get tired of its appearance.

Performance

The Mi 3 touts itself as the fastest-ever smartphone — and it doesn’t disappoint.

The Mi 3 released in Singapore is the 16GB version equipped with a quad-core 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. According to the AnTuTu benchmark, the Mi 3 is ranked number one in terms of speed currently, outperforming key competing handsets including range-toppers like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One.

The result of equipping it with such a high-performance chipset shows: the phone responds beautifully when watching videos, playing games or just browsing the Web. While playing games such as graphic-heavy Badland and Angry Birds Go!, they were speedy and extremely responsive without any lag at all.

The battery life of the particular Mi 3 device I received, however, was strangely disappointing at first. Xiaomi says the Mi 3′s 3050mAh battery has 30 percent more capacity than its predecessor, and will give you 21 hours Internet use on 3G, or 25 hours talk-time on 2G. The company also notes that it has “integrated power management from operating system all the way down to the CPU, which means you can stretch every last drop out of the 3050mAh battery.”

Yet when I first started using the phone — about two hours of playing several rounds of Angry Birds Go!, watching a couple of videos on YouTube, downloading two apps, and browsing through pages on the Chrome browser saw the battery life deplete by nearly half. That was pretty shocking. More so was the fact that my remaining battery continued to drain itself to empty over the rest of the day and night. The result was that I woke up to a phone that didn’t wake up with me – not very impressive for a phone that specifically touts its battery life!

It was only after I optimized the performance of the device, a nifty feature that requires some effort to find — it’s under the ‘Security’ tab — that my battery life suddenly extended itself. UPDATE: After some investigation, I found out that it was due to a particular app sapping all my battery life — a Singapore-developed food-related app 8 Days Eat. The optimization feature kills apps that are running in the background, so it did that to the rogue app and returned me a robust battery life. So the lesson learnt here is: check on rogue apps!

The difference was jaw-dropping. After I optimized the Mi 3, only about one quarter of the battery was sapped after I put it to heavy usage for about an hour and a half — playing several rounds of Angry Birds Go!, watching several videos on YouTube, and exploring Tokyo on Google Earth. The battery didn’t drain overnight either, and even after being on standby for more than 24 hours (including some infrequent usage like taking photos and watching videos), the battery stayed robust at 30 percent.
Camera

The Mi 3 is equipped with a 13-megapixel rear camera from Sony, which produces pictures that are crisp, extremely sharp and detailed — especially outdoors.

Unfortunately, the camera disappoints in certain situations, especially when the light is lacking. The colors are pretty much washed out whenever you take photos in low lighting, and that happens even outdoors when the sun disappears behind the clouds. This seems to be a common problem as a lot of smartphone cameras struggle with this issue too.

The HDR feature also produces photos that look strangely fake — in this photo of a sunset, the colors are tweaked weirdly, as you can see.

Just like most smartphone manufacturers out there, Xiaomi has added in some nifty features to make its camera more appealing. Other than filters and burst mode, a particularly gimmicky feature is that the camera can automatically beautify your photos by detecting your gender and age automatically, before you click the shutter. Of course, whether the age reflected is accurate is another matter altogether (hint: it typically makes me younger).
Sound

To play games and watch videos, sound is obviously a key factor — and the quality of the Mi 3′s sound output is robust. However, with the speaker located at the bottom of the phone, when you play games in landscape mode the sound can actually disappear entirely if you put your hands in the wrong place.

To keep the phone slim though, having the speakers at the bottom of the phone is a necessary sacrifice, and this problem can be easily avoided if you normally listen in headphones anyway. Xiaomi says that it employs Dirac technology so the Mi 3 will adjust audio output to optimize quality based on the type of headphones you’re using — and that it’s ”the first smartphone ever to bring SFX surround sound to your headphones.”

All I can say is the sound execution is pretty flawless — and yes, that surround sound effect is impressive.
Integration

Xiaomi’s MIUI firmware is based on Android, which means it’s compatible with games and apps found on Google Play. To differentiate itself from its Chinese counterpart, the Mi 3 comes pre-loaded with a whole bunch of Google services and integrates seamlessly with Google once you key in your Gmail address. This also means you back up your data — including app data, Wi-Fi passwords and other settings — to Google servers.

To this extent, Xiaomi’s Mi Cloud service takes a back-seat in the international version of Mi 3. You have an option to sign up for the Mi Cloud service when you start up your phone though, and it’s actually very useful as it lets you access your contacts, photos and files from any browser. This also means you can easily use your Mi Cloud account to transfer your contacts, texts, settings, and content from your old device to your new one.

Other services such as Xiaomi’s dedicated messaging app, Mi-Talk, come pre-installed on the phone but probably won’t see huge numbers of users until Xiaomi’s devices gain more traction.
Wrap-up

The Mi 3 is a solid Android smartphone that performs excellently — way beyond what people assume its price tag of $332 can buy you — and it makes me wonder why companies like Samsung, HTC and LG are tooting their horns for smartphones that come in at double to triple the price when the performance of the Mi 3 seems to be largely on par with their flagship devices. However, one bit that the Mi 3 is severely lacking is support for 4G LTE, which could put off consumers used to having such a speedy network and propel them to opt for other devices instead.

Most of the time, the Mi 3 is a joy to use, especially from a non-Android user perspective (I’ve been an iPhone user for years). The UI is uncluttered and easily customizable, while the high screen resolution makes reading, playing games and watching videos an immersive experience. The only disappointing part may be the camera, as Xiaomi seems to have fallen into the same bracket as other Android smartphone manufacturers that boast of high megapixels but tend to neglect the image quality.

However, that is only a minor bump in the overall execution of the Mi 3. For its price, the Mi 3 is more than well worth it, and it could give current Android smartphones out there a good run for their money indeed.

Read also - Can China’s coolost phone maker take Xiaomi-mania international? We ask VP Hugo Barra

Headline image via Xiaomi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am 
Heavyweight

XIAOMI MI3 FULL SMARTPHONE SPECIFICATIONS AND PRICE
XIAOMI MI3 QUADCORE 5 INCH 13 MP CAMERA FULL SMARTPHONE SPECIFICATIONS

Xiaomi is the Apple of China & it has proved it again by selling out 100000 pieces of the MI3 smartphone within just 86 seconds of its launch. This smartphone from the Chinese manufacturer starts @ $ 326 / approx Pounds 206 / approx Rupees 20200/-. One of the biggest reason for such a successful response is the combination of high end specifications at a budgeted price level. Xiaomi MI3 sports a 5 Inch IPS LCD Capacitive touch screen with multi touch. The full HD display looks very brilliant as Xiaomi has packed in a resolution of 1080 x 1920 Pixels, ~441 ppi pixels density, 16 M Colours. Dimensionally this smartphone measures 144 x 73.6 x 8.1 mm (5.67 x 2.90 x 0.32 in), while it is not that bulky as it weighs mere 145 gms (5.11 oz) & there are seven flavours available in it viz; White, Silver, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Blue, Black. On the display front this Xiaomi MI3 looks elegant & technically it is loaded with some great specifications. Under the skin of this smartphone is a Quadcore 2.3 GHz Krait 400 Processor, Qualcomm MSM8974AB Snapdragon 800 Chipset, Adreno 330 GPU, 2 GB RAM. Technically this smartphone comes in the league of various high end smartphone from Samsung, LG, HTC, Apple, Sony, etc & that too at almost half the price. This smartphone will come out of the box with Android OS v4.2.1 (Jelly Bean). Xiaomi MI3 has got two variants in terms of internal memory viz; 16 GB / 64 GB. Xiami has skipped on the microSD card slot, hence choose your variant as per your needs. The data connectivity aspect of this smartphone is also very generously loaded with 3G connectivity (microSIM), Wifi, Wifi HotSpot, Wifi Direct, Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP, NFC, microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB on-the-go. For positioning Xiaomi MI3 features GPS with support for A GPS & GLONASS. For capturing you memories on the go Xiaomi has provided a 13 MP Primary camera on the rear panel of this smartphone. The primary camera features auto focus, dual LED flash light, geo tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilisation, HDR. This Primary camera is capable of clicking images of 4128 x 3096 Pixels resolution & record HD videos of 1080 P @ 30 fps. The secondary camera on the front panel is of 2 MP for video chatting & it can also record HD videos of 1080 P @ 30 fps. Bigger battery capacity is always a welcome feature & Xiaomi MI3 has packed in a Non Removable Li-Po battery with a juice of 3050 mAh.

XIAOMI MI3 FULL SMARTPHONE SPECIFICATIONS SPECS DETAILS FEATURES CONFIGURATIONS PRICE

XIAOMI MI3 FULL SMARTPHONE SPECIFICATIONS AT A GLANCE:

5 INCH IPS LCD CAPACITIVE TOUCH SCREEN WITH MULTI TOUCH
DISPLAY RESOLUTION 1080 X 1920 P, ~441 PPI PIXELS DENSITY, 16 M COLOURS
ANDROID OS v4.2.1 (JELLY BEAN)
QUADCORE 2.3 GHz KRAIT 400 PROCESSOR
QUALCOMM MSM8974AB SNAPDRAGON 800 CHIPSET
ADRENO 330 GPU
2 GB RAM
16 GB / 64 GB INTERNAL MEMORY (NO microSD CARD SLOT)
13 MP PRIMARY CAMERA
2 MP SECONDARY CAMERA
DUAL LED FLASH LIGHT
Wifi (Wifi DIRECT,Wifi HotSpot), BLUETOOTH v4.0 WITH A2DP
NFC, microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB on-the-go
GPS (A GPS) & GLONASS
DIMENSIONS 144 x 73.6 x 8.1 MM (5.67 x 2.90 x 0.32 IN)
WEIGHT 145 GMS (5.11 OZ)
COLOUR OPTION: WHITE, SILVER, YELLOW, ORANGE, PINK, BLUE, BLACK
3050 mAh NON REMOVABLE Li-Po BATTERY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:07 am 
Heavyweight

The lovely Mi3 packs a choice of powerful CPUs

CNET Editors' Take
February 14, 2014 1:56 PM PST
Xiaomi Mi3

The Xiaomi Mi3 is svelte and stylish.
(Credit: Xiaomi)

You may not know it yet, but there's a new wave of innovative smartphones coming your way. And no, these devices aren't being dreamed up by big firms in South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan. Instead it's mainland China that's becoming a hotbed of fresh handset approaches. The Mi3 from Beijing-based Xiaomi is a perfect example of the trend. Miles apart from your typically unexciting midrange droid, the Mi3 is clad in premium aluminum and positively crammed with high-end components from nVidia, Qualcomm, and Sony.

The gadget also features a large 5-inch screen and a massive battery to keep it chugging along. Xiaomi infuses the Mi3 with its own interpretation of Android called MIUI, too. Here's a rundown of why I find the Xiaomi Mi3 compelling. It even has Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak singing its praises.
Xiaomi Mi3

It's hard to deny the Mi3 has attractive looks.

Design
With a slim and rectangular chassis that's just 0.3-inch (8.1mm) thick, the Xiaomi Mi3 looks very svelte and sophisticated. Also imparting a touch of class are the phone's smoothly curved sides and aluminum unibody construction. In fact, based on vendor-supplied images of the device, the Mi3 reminds me of both recent Nokia and classic Apple products, such as the Lumia 1020 and iPod mini.

Xiaomi says the Mi3 uses a 5-inch full HD (1,920x1,080) LCD screen with IPS (in-plane-switching) technology. In my experience IPS displays offer superior brightness and better viewing angles than their non-IPS counterparts -- Sony Xperia Z1S, I'm looking at you.

Software and interface
Similar to many phone makers like HTC, Samsung, LG, and to a lesser extent, Motorola, Xiaomi layers its own custom interface over the Mi3's stock Android OS. Referred to as MIUI, the software skin promises more streamlined navigation and "thousands of original themes" to personalized your Mi3 device. I'll have to give the gadget a proper spin in the flesh, however, to make a call on this boast.

One fact that does immediately jump out, however, is MIUI's unmistakable similarity to Apple's iOS. For example, all apps are placed on iPhone-like home screens that scroll sideways from left to right. The usual app tray I'm accustom to in Android doesn't appear to live on the Mi3 either.

Camera
Xiaomi takes great pains to tout the Mi3's digital camera system. The company says it's built from a Sony Exmor sensor that captures a top resolution of 13 megapixels. Additionally the camera uses a wide-angle 28mm format lens linked to a dual LED flash. Whether all this gear translates to a smartphone that snaps quality photos remains to be seen, but I admit that on paper, the Mi3's imaging system sounds impressive.
Xiaomi Mi3

One version of the China Mobile Mi3 is powered by a Tegra 4 chip.

Core components
Much of what piques my interest in the Xiaomi Mi3 is what the phone-maker places under its hood. You won't find an underpowered Mediatek processor here. Instead, the Mi3 ships with either a brand new 1.8Ghz quad-core Tegra 4 chip from nVidia or a modern Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor.

This computing might is coupled with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The latter seems a bit paltry to me since I expect any flagship smartphone worth its salt to have at least 32GB of onboard storage space, or an expansion slot to add to what memory it does come with. I do appreciate Xiaomi's decision to drop in a hefty 3,050mAh battery, which hopefully will help the phone last long on a charge.

Outlook
Despite the Xiaomi Mi3's seductive styling and powerful list of components, there are a few details (or lack of them) that keep my excitement for the phone in check. For one, Xiaomi doesn't specify what version of Android the device's MIUI is based upon. Also, there's no mention of 4G LTE support on the Mi3's splashy product Web site, so I have a feeling it's not an option.

Additionally, the Tegra 4-equipped Mi3 (TD) model won't likely make its way out of China due to its TD-SCDMA radios, which are pretuned for China Mobile's network. Global customers will have to be satisfied with the less-exotic Snapdragon 800 Mi3 version that's built to link to WCDMA (UTMS/GSM) wireless carriers. Of course with a retail price tag of 1,999 Chinese Yuan (US$327), the unlocked Xiaomi Mi3's sounds like a good deal whatever processor it's running -- that is, if it does make it to US shores anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am 
Heavyweight

The fastest phone from Xiaomi. Ever.
Choose between two of the world's
fastest processors.

Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 4 (TD)
Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (WCDMA)

http://www.xiaomi.com/en/mi3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:16 am 
Heavyweight

Xiaomi launches MIUI for tablets, new Nexus 7 gets first dibs

While Xiaomi has yet to launch its very own tablet (the Eden Tab doesn't count), you can now get a first taste of its tablet-friendly MIUI Android ROM, which is available as an open beta for the 2013 edition Nexus 7. According to the company, this isn't merely a scaled up version of MIUI V5, as it has a "brand new architecture" with content -- including native apps, system menus and new screen animations -- optimized for both screen orientations. Interestingly, CEO Lei Jun added that tablet vendors can get in touch if they want to ship their devices with MIUI preloaded, which would be a first for non-Xiaomi hardware. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean Lei's not making his own tablets in the near future; but as of now, there are no reliable rumors of such plan.

If you have a new Nexus 7 lying around and don't mind giving MIUI a go, then head over to MIUI's website to grab the 278MB download.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/15/xiao ... s-nexus-7/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:51 am 
Heavyweight

not buying those. parang cdrking lang a :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:52 am 
Middleweight

Fuk that its made in china why should I buy their products if they are trying to occupy my home countries island.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:57 am 
Heavyweight

rcflores wrote:
Fuk that its made in china why should I buy their products if they are trying to occupy my home countries island.

Apple Ipad , iphone ,ipod, and laptop are made from china :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:01 am 
Heavyweight

The Mi 3 released in Singapore is the 16GB version equipped with a quad-core 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. According to the AnTuTu benchmark, the Mi 3 is ranked number one in terms of speed currently, outperforming key competing handsets including range-toppers like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One.
CONS:NO SD CARD SLOT :(

half the price compare Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC one ..very cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am 
Heavyweight

medyo gray area ang R&D ng china, halos puro "hiram" (or nakaw) lang :lol:

pero great equalizer siya, kahit magbobote sa amin naka-quad core smart phone :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am 
Middleweight

sige bilhin nyo pa ang mga made in china gadget para magkaroon pa ng maraming pera ang mga intsik at makabile ng maraming armas para i-take over ang buong west philippine sea.....fastest smartphone, fastest take over din ang gagawin nila in the nearest future....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 am 
Heavyweight

Magkano per kilo? :lol: :lol: :lol:

KUPAL ANG KOKONTRA SA AKIN!
PUTANGINA NYO!

BOYCOTT CHINA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 am 
Heavyweight

Di bale nang mula
Basta mulame bile

By
Ching chong chai!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KUPAL ANG KOKONTRA SA AKIN!
PUTANGINA NYO!

BOYCOTT CHINA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:56 am 
Heavyweight

dan44 wrote:

Other services such as Xiaomi’s dedicated messaging app, Mi-Talk, come pre-installed on the phone but probably won’t see huge numbers of users until Xiaomi’s devices gain more traction.

tinawagan ko yung number na yan. Singlish.

"A-yoo calling the cur-rect numba, la?"

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 am 
Cruiserweight

genetophile wrote:
dan44 wrote:

tinawagan ko yung number na yan. Singlish.

"A-yoo calling the cur-rect numba, la?"

:lol:

sing-apoe la? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next