Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Hello! Is it possible to use/connect ABS-CBN TVplus to a computer? If yes, then how?

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am 
Cruiserweight

If all you need is to connect, just make sure the cable/plug is compatible and then just plug it in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:45 am 
Heavyweight

Do I need an additional hardware and software?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 pm 
Cruiserweight

My reply was meant to be facetious but making a point. Your inquiry was posted without any details; only mentioned connection. What's your goal or what are you trying to achieve with the "connection"? You can't expect readers to be able to guess what's on your mind and assuming that everybody knows what an ABS-CBN TVplus is or what it does certainly doesn't help you get help. Posting the specs of the devices involved would help greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Ok then, here's a more specific specs for the ABS-CBN TVplus that I'm going to use: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/abs- ... 71861.html

I would like to use that to watch digital channels that can be received by that DTTV box via laptop (I'm using Lenovo G570, here's the specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-es ... 570/specs/, except that mine has Win10 and 8GBx2 RAM)...

Let me know if I need more details... Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Try this one..

http://www.ambery.com/usb20avvicav.html

by the way what is your purpose?

TV Viewing?
TV Recording?
You don't have a spare Desktop Monitor?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Oh, found one at Lazada

DVD DVR USB 2.0 Capture Video Adapter Converter Cable with Stereo Audio RCA S-Video Input for PC Laptop - intl

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/dvd- ... w&search=1

I don't know if it will work with win10 tho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 pm 
Heavyweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
by the way what is your purpose?

TV Viewing?
TV Recording?
You don't have a spare Desktop Monitor?

Thanks! For viewing and recording (mostly for the latter)...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm 
Heavyweight

ok.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:37 am 
Cruiserweight

You need a TV/video capture/decoder card to be able to view/record on your PC/laptop. The specs doesn't specify what type of output signal/cable the box has. You wanna make sure the card you are getting would have the appropriate ports for it and also the capability of decoding/processing whatever the input signal is along with compatibility/compliance with whatever tech features the box has (DLNA, HDCP, HDMI version, etc.). Most of these cards are packaged with a video capture software or you can use your favorite compatible app.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:18 pm 
Heavyweight

kulukuy wrote:
You need a TV/video capture/decoder card to be able to view/record on your PC/laptop. The specs doesn't specify what type of output signal/cable the box has. You wanna make sure the card you are getting would have the appropriate ports for it and also the capability of decoding/processing whatever the input signal is along with compatibility/compliance with whatever tech features the box has (DLNA, HDCP, HDMI version, etc.). Most of these cards are packaged with a video capture software or you can use your favorite compatible app.

Thanks! If I understand your question right then it's ISDB-T... The ports posted by tiyanak2 matches the connectors from the box...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 am 
Cruiserweight

Something to ponder with regards to the posted TV/video capture card but I'm not sure how they play out in the scheme of your project until, I guess, after actually going through with it:

1. ISDB is not NTSC or PAL (just like NTSC is not PAL and vice versa); the card is NTSC/PAL compatible
2. ISDB also implements some type of DRM (Digital Rights Management) encryption similar to HDCP which requires devices to be compliant in order to decrypt the signal
3. card has legacy tech (VHS/DVD era), i.e. S-video, CVBS (composite video), analog audio, USB 2.0)
4. assuming it is compatible and works with the TVplus set-top box, HDTV signal from the TVplus would be down-sampled to SD (Standard Definiion), i.e. 480i/576i.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:06 am 
Heavyweight

If the TS goal is to record or even just play it on a superb quality, then it's a no, and there's no way to achieve that with laptop.

However if the TS just want to record TV segments for whatever purpose, or watch TV on his laptop for some reason, without having an itch for quality, then that's a OK.

Back of the TV plus box

using the cable included in the abs-cbn TV plus

connect the RCA's yellow - yellow, white - white, red - red

Use the software included from the converter stick.

the TV plus has a menu for switching PAL or NTSC

Quality wise, it's better than using a Yagi antenna for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 am 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
If the TS goal is to record or even just play it on a superb quality, then it's a no, and there's no way to achieve that with laptop.

However if the TS just want to record TV segments for whatever purpose, or watch TV on his laptop for some reason, without having an itch for quality, then that's a OK.

-snip-

Do you have exactly the same setup that is working? If so, then it should obviously work for the OP too. If not, then the list of points to ponder that I posted still stand.

Also, is there any reason why the OP's modern laptop cannot process a high-quality HD content/signal (H.264 AVC)? We now have H.265 HEVC (more resource intensive) and even budget phones nowadays could process and play them.

I couldn't make out the "AV" port on the back of the TVplus box. Since it's circular, it's either CVBS (composite) or S-video. Neither are capable of HD signal. What's the USB port for? Where's the audio output port and what type is it?

The plot thickens. So PI adopted the ISDB-T standard (replaces NTSC and PAL) to do away with the analog system and therefore modernize and catch up with current broadcasting tech and offer the public high-quality digital HD Terrestrial TV broadcast. ABS-CBN then capitulated by coming up with and selling a lame set-top box incapable of HD (720p, 1080p, etc.) output. ABS-CBN is not giving their customers what they deserve, thereby effectively taking them to the cleaners.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:24 am 
Heavyweight

kulukuy wrote:
tiyanak2 wrote:

-snip-

Do you have exactly the same setup that is working? If so, then it should obviously work for the OP too. If not, then the list of points to ponder that I posted still stand.

Not Exactly, but I do own a TVplus the same as his. I connected it to a TV/Monitor using the RCA's. And I have a setup before with a pinnacle TV Capture Card but on A PC. I used the RCA video connected to a camcorder. Sometimes using it as a TV but with a TV antenna.

kulukuy wrote:

Also, is there any reason why the OP's modern laptop cannot process a high-quality HD content/signal (H.264 AVC)? We now have H.265 HEVC (more resource intensive) and even budget phones nowadays could process and play them.

Nope, not about the laptop's capability, but the problem is the availability of such converter that can be used with the said TV plus to a laptop. They have now a new TV plus box (3rd generation) with a HDMI output.

But where to connect? :D

kulukuy wrote:
I couldn't make out the "AV" port on the back of the TVplus box. Since it's circular, it's either CVBS (composite) or S-video. Neither are capable of HD signal. What's the USB port for? Where's the audio output port and what type is it?

It's a Composite Analog. The USB port is for firmware upgrade and cannot be use to play movie files or pictures.

kulukuy wrote:
The plot thickens. So PI adopted the ISDB-T standard (replaces NTSC and PAL) to do away with the analog system and therefore modernize and catch up with current broadcasting tech and offer the public high-quality digital HD Terrestrial TV broadcast. ABS-CBN then capitulated by coming up with and selling a lame set-top box incapable of HD (720p, 1080p, etc.) output. ABS-CBN is not giving their customers what they deserve, thereby effectively taking them to the cleaners.

here's a review of the 3rd Generation box