got dual OS laptop for work..xp/W7 SP1
I accidentally installed the updates on W7; including the SP2 updates..etc cant remember others
rebooted and got past the log in part..but when it loaded the screen was black with cursor ...task manger did not work .tried safe mode with CMD..and manage to restore..but it did not solve the problem..now im stuck on XP. does not want to reformat..and repair/installation cd not available...btw safe mode does not work either...task manger and all..only safe mode w/ CMD seems to work.
It sometimes happens, that windows updates load a few bad installs to our computers. System Restore
is always the ultimate remedy for hard to fix software problems as long as the computer still loads when booting.
You said only safe mode with CMD seems to work but did not solve the problem.
A few questions:
1. Is did not solve the problem
means going back to black screen with cursor?
2. Did you choose the Automatic Restore Point
3. Didn't you check a tick box that says Show more restore points
4. Pirated ba Windows 7 mo?
How to Perform System Restore Using Safe Mode with Command Prompt?http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-47-4624-0.html
2. I did, but i chose the most recent restore point. I will try to restore again with last week's restore point.
3. I did
4. Im in china. So, it's given pirated nga
2. It means that system restore is working in your computer but you have to try another date (older dates) until you get the right one.
4. The reason I asked if it's pirated is, maybe because it was detected by Microsoft and it put something into your system (just a hunch).
Also, black screens usually occur when the WAT or WGA detected an illegal copy of windows in your system. But it's different in the sense that you can still work on your computer until a certain time frame (maybe 30 days) before Microsoft officially blocks your pirated copy of Windows. And besides, the black screen there is just a black wall paper which is removable in the Display Properties after the WAT or WGA is removed from the system.
So my guess for a black screen is:
1. Microsoft issue...WAT...bad updates...
2. Bad drivers and programs you installed days before the problem appears..
3. Could be a hardware issue (video card)
4. Virus and malwares
1. System Restore can do it as long as the computer responds in any Safe Mode.
2. Windows Repair - -> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html