Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 am 
Cruiserweight

As an example, here's a list of the free terrestrial TV (public airwaves) stations/channels in Los Angeles, CA, USA alone. Note that each channel also has subchannels (click on individual station's call letters link on the Wikipedia page for details). All of them can be accessed OTA via a standard digital TV/receiver with no additional set-top box required:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_television_stations

Los Angeles is served by several local television stations including:
Call letters Channel RF Network
KCBS 2 43 CBS
KNBC 4 36 NBC
KTLA 5 31 The CW
KSFV 6 22 Ind
KABC 7 7 ABC
KFLA 8 8 Ind
KCAL 9 9 Ind
KIIO 10 10 Ind
KTTV 11 11 Fox
KCOP 13 13 MyNetworkTV
KSCI 18 18 Ind
KVME 20 20 Heroes & Icons
KNLA 20 32 Ind
KWHY 22 42 Ind
KVCR 24 26 PBS
KNET 25 50 HSN
KVHD 26 40 EVINE Live
KHTV 27 27 HSN
KCET 28 28 Ind
KPXN 30 38 Ion
KVMD 31 23 LATV
KMEX 34 34 Univision
KTAV-LD 35 46 Almavision
KHIZ-LD 39 2 Ind
KTBN 40 33 TBN
KXLA 44 51 Ind
KFTR 46 29 UniMás
KRVD 50 5 Ind
KOCE 50 48 PBS
KEDD 50 50 Ind
KVEA 52 39 Telemundo
KAZA 54 47 MeTV
KDOC 56 32 Ind
KJLA 57 49 Azteca
KLCS 58 41 PBS
KRCA 62 35 Estrella TV
KBEH 63 24 Ind
KILM 64 44 Punch TV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 am 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
The ABS-CBN TV plus includes free channels: CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo

These channels are decrypted in their box so you can watch it for free. But with different box you can't you need to pay.

So in short, you can't watch these free channels on the OTG stick you mentioned above. But you can have their main channel the channel 2 or 3, and other channels aside abs cbn.

Note: with their tvplus box, selected areas can get other channels aside abs-cbn channels, but most part of the Philippines it can't.

It's 1,999 PHP or 38.48 USD

yes it sucks, it's a slow process here ever since.

The question to ponder upon is whether those scrambled premium channels are worth the higher cost of an ABS-CBN TVplus box or not (which by your account, is not reliable with other network's channels thereby making it sorta "proprietary"). Otherwise, universal/general ISDB-T receivers/tuners which are readily available online at a lower cost would be preferred by the majority. I remember back in late 2K when the US was transitioning to DTV, coupons were provided to eligible households (up to $80, I think) applied towards the purchase of digital/analog converters (I think it was part of the US Transition Act) to maintain functionality of analog TVs since these households could not afford DTV sets/receivers or pay cable/satellite TV service right off the bat during the transition.

Since PI is still in the transition phase, perhaps an enterprising Paclander could capitalize on such market. Heck, I could be a part of that chain...and all transactions would be in XMR. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 am 
Cruiserweight

These are interesting options for those who don't wanna go with the PC-based TV card route and just wanna use their existing TV sets to receive ISDB-T broadcast in PI. It looks like they have 3 types of output ports: HDMI, CAV (component) and CVBS (composite) and are therefore flexible in terms of connectivity. Perhaps one day, someone or some group would come up with a hack via firmware upgrade to descramble certain signals, especially when the community who uses these generic ISDB-T receivers/tuners becomes large and widespread enough.

[u]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-ISDB-T-Definition-Digital-Terrestrial-SET-TOP-BOX-1080P-PVR-USB-Remote-/361304361175[/u]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISDB-T-Digital-Terrestrial-Converter-TV-BOX-Receiver-1080P-US-EU-Plug-XG/282741041111?hash=item41d4ade7d7:m:mwSJ8KnihiKd9F6uFWSKwDw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm 
Heavyweight

kulukuy wrote:
tiyanak2 wrote:
The ABS-CBN TV plus includes free channels: CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo

These channels are decrypted in their box so you can watch it for free. But with different box you can't you need to pay.

So in short, you can't watch these free channels on the OTG stick you mentioned above. But you can have their main channel the channel 2 or 3, and other channels aside abs cbn.

Note: with their tvplus box, selected areas can get other channels aside abs-cbn channels, but most part of the Philippines it can't.

It's 1,999 PHP or 38.48 USD

yes it sucks, it's a slow process here ever since.

The question to ponder upon is whether those scrambled premium channels are worth the higher cost of an ABS-CBN TVplus box or not (which by your account, is not reliable with other network's channels thereby making it sorta "proprietary"). Otherwise, universal/general ISDB-T receivers/tuners which are readily available online at a lower cost would be preferred by the majority. I remember back in late 2K when the US was transitioning to DTV, coupons were provided to eligible households (up to $80, I think) applied towards the purchase of digital/analog converters (I think it was part of the US Transition Act) to maintain functionality of analog TVs since these households could not afford DTV sets/receivers or pay cable/satellite TV service right off the bat during the transition.

Since PI is still in the transition phase, perhaps an enterprising Paclander could capitalize on such market. Heck, I could be a part of that chain...and all transactions would be in XMR. :)

We don't have any other choices here. Without monthly fees, it's a go here.

Cinemo - Tagalog movies
Yey - Kids channel
Knowledge Channel - For the Nerdy Stuff
DZMM Channel - For news

Any new ventures or a capitalist would be killed by the existing network giants right before they left off. So it's a hopeless case for that suggestion of yours.

It would be like Microsoft killing Netscape.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 pm 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
-snip-

Any new ventures or a capitalist would be killed by the existing network giants right before they left off. So it's a hopeless case for that suggestion of yours.

It would be like Microsoft killing Netscape.

I didn't suggest anything at all let alone at that scale (venture capital). I was merely pointing out that people do have a choice if all they need is free regular terrestrial programming like they used to or still do with analog TV and don't care much about the additional scrambled crappy digital programming that requires buying their proprietary hardware which (by your account) can hardly get reception from other networks' channels. Regular free "unscrambled" programming do still exist, right? Hence, a "universal" ISDB-T tuner/receiver (and not network-centric proprietary ones) capable of receiving all available signals from all the networks (free terrestrial TV) would make more sense in such a case...just like people used to or still able to receive free analog TV signals from all the networks with their TV sets that are factory-equipped with a "universal" tuner/receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 am 
Cruiserweight

You folks in PI are lucky to only be currently transitioning to DTV; a time when there are a lot of receiver/tuner options that are loaded with features in spite of their tiny-azz footprints and with dirt-cheap prices to boot. Back around 2004 when some TV stations in my area started broadcasting FTA (Free-To-Air) digital TV programming (parallel broadcast with analog TV) and the nerd in me was early-adopting (as usual), there were no cheap-azz made-in-China-special HDTV receivers/tuners available. So I had to shell out a few Benjamins for this monstrosity :biglaugh: :

https://hometheaterreview.com/lg-lst-3510a-hdtv-tuner-and-dvd-combo-reviewed/
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/93221/Lg-Lst-3510a.html#manual

...and it is still currently part of my entertainment center/rack though I rarely watch TV nowadays in general. It still works like a charm and produces crisp HD picture using only this indoor antenna which I got with it way back then:

https://manuals.solidsignal.com/TERK-HDTVi.pdf
http://www.terk.com/docs/common/HDTVI/HDTVI_OM.pdf