Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:

Not Exactly, but I do own a TVplus the same as his. I connected it to a TV/Monitor using the RCA's. And I have a setup before with a pinnacle TV Capture Card but on A PC. I used the RCA video connected to a camcorder. Sometimes using it as a TV but with a TV antenna.

-snip-

I see. It's a 3mm mini jack/plug output port to RCA composite video/audio connectors. Damn ABS-CBN did the classic marketing scheme of letting customers buy low/legacy tech hardware first and then make them pay their way up to the current tech by way of upgrades, thereby milking them for their money. They should have made full HDTV boxes available from the onset because that is the point of adopting to a digital terrestrial broadcast system -- to be able to have HD quality broadcast. But no, they have to milk their customers first. Greedy basterds! TVplus is just an SDTV box and ABS's scheme/sting culminates in finally releasing their 3rd Gen HD boxes...and I bet it's not cheap.

Come to think of it, you don't have to buy their box to watch their HDTV broadcast. Buy other brands of ISDB-T receivers. Probably a lot better deal with better features. For example, the following is an interesting one. It's specifically packaged for Android devices via USB OTG but it's Full Seg. Since it uses the standard PES/TS streaming format, I bet it's only a matter of using a corresponding/compatible app on Windows.

ISDB-T USB OTG Digital HD TV Tuner Receiver Dongle For Android Mobile Phone O7F1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISDB-T-USB-OTG-Digital-HD-TV-Tuner-Receiver-Dongle-For-Android-Mobile-Phone-O7F1/122869612240?epid=15003022419&hash=item1c9b997ed0:g:XQkAAOSwT2daOMCJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:30 pm 
Heavyweight

The ABS-CBN TV plus includes free channels: CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo

These channels are decrypted in their box so you can watch it for free. But with different box you can't you need to pay.

So in short, you can't watch these free channels on the OTG stick you mentioned above. But you can have their main channel the channel 2 or 3, and other channels aside abs cbn.

Note: with their tvplus box, selected areas can get other channels aside abs-cbn channels, but most part of the Philippines it can't.

It's 1,999 PHP or 38.48 USD

yes it sucks, it's a slow process here ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
The ABS-CBN TV plus includes free channels: CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo

These channels are decrypted in their box so you can watch it for free. But with different box you can't you need to pay.

So in short, you can't watch these free channels on the OTG stick you mentioned above. But you can have their main channel the channel 2 or 3, and other channels aside abs cbn.

Note: with their tvplus box, selected areas can get other channels aside abs-cbn channels, but most part of the Philippines it can't.

It's 1,999 PHP or 38.48 USD

yes it sucks, it's a slow process here ever since.

It's difficult for me to process such concept because in the US, all terrestrial channels/broadcasts/programming are free. It probably has something to do with a Federal mandate via the FCC designating them as public airwaves and cannot be monetized by any entity. Otherwise, the US terrestrial broadcasters would also do an "ABS-CBN" (a new noun that I made up just now :biglaugh: ).

Doesn't PI have a similar mandate regarding public airwaves? I'm almost certain that it has one but then again, it doesn't have a shortage of kurakots either so no surprise if ABS-CBN pulled a fast one in this scenario.

Last edited by kulukuy on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Di ako maka relate

Kapuso ako eh :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 pm 
Heavyweight

kulukuy wrote:
It's difficult for me to process such concept because in the US, all terrestrial channels/broadcasts/programming are free. It probably has something to do with a Federal mandate via the FCC designating them as public airwaves and cannot be monetized by any entity. Otherwise, the US terrestrial broadcasters would also do an "ABS-CBN" (a new noun that I made up just now :biglaugh: ).

Doesn't PI have a similar mandate regarding public airwaves? I'm almost certain that it has one but then again, it doesn't have a shortage of kurakots either so no surprise if ABS-CBN pulled a fast one in this scenario.

CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo are not free terrestrial channels. They're meant for Cable subscribers. They just incorporate it on their box so the consumer can watch it subscription free.

so that's what they are marketing.

Buy the box one time to have some free few "cable channels" with decent quality compared to TV antennas (analog vs digital).

And there's this channel that you can watch not so new movies (Filipino movies mostly) if you load it with 30 php. And that's for weekends only and is good for 4 days (2 weekends).

Yeap, it's all about the money money money. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Romy Nabas wrote:
Di ako maka relate

Kapuso ako eh :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:12 pm 
Heavyweight

The rival network GMA7 has theirs also..

Quote:
By 2020, the Philippines will be terminating its analog TV service according to the National Telecommunications Commission. The country is set to adapt the Integrated Service Digital Broadcasting-Terrestrial (ISDB-T) standard of Japan in five years time.

Based on the migration plan, there will be a yearlong transition period when both the digital and analog transmissions will be utilized at the same time. Broadcasters are expected to double their expenses during the transition period.

https://www.dailypedia.net/2015/12/gma- ... tv-dongle/

so yeah.. it's slow as a turtle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Cruiserweight

I am using ABS CBN box,and I thought I will not be able to watch GMA7 shows. But lo and behold, I can watch them too but you have to have long patience kasi minsan nawawala ang signal.... sa GMA7 shows lang naman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 pm 
Heavyweight

malem50 wrote:
I am using ABS CBN box,and I thought I will not be able to watch GMA7 shows. But lo and behold, I can watch them too but you have to have long patience kasi minsan nawawala ang signal.... sa GMA7 shows lang naman

it really depends on your location.. mine doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Sa resthouse namin, bundok na yun, we use sky cable. Ang linaw ng signal kahit nasa bundok. One time payment ng installation lang. 12 channels pag walang load. Pag nag load ka ng P100, one month 48 channels ang available

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am 
Heavyweight

Romy Nabas wrote:
Sa resthouse namin, bundok na yun, we use sky cable. Ang linaw ng signal kahit nasa bundok. One time payment ng installation lang. 12 channels pag walang load. Pag nag load ka ng P100, one month 48 channels ang available

How much is the initial fee?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:01 pm 
Heavyweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
If the TS goal is to record or even just play it on a superb quality, then it's a no, and there's no way to achieve that with laptop.

However if the TS just want to record TV segments for whatever purpose, or watch TV on his laptop for some reason, without having an itch for quality, then that's a OK.

Viewable quality (360/480p with a tolerable fps/not laggy) with a clear audio is fine...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

tiyanak2 wrote:
kulukuy wrote:

CINEMO!, YEY!, Knowledge Channel, DZMM Teleradyo are not free terrestrial channels. They're meant for Cable subscribers. They just incorporate it on their box so the consumer can watch it subscription free.

so that's what they are marketing.

Buy the box one time to have some free few "cable channels" with decent quality compared to TV antennas (analog vs digital).

And there's this channel that you can watch not so new movies (Filipino movies mostly) if you load it with 30 php. And that's for weekends only and is good for 4 days (2 weekends).

Yeap, it's all about the money money money. :)

I got it now (only in the Philippines :biglaugh: ). Nevertheless, the concept of "public airwaves" is that there should not be any cost to the public to access and avail themselves of whatever contents that are streamed through it. The terrestrial broadcasters' revenue must only exist and happen at their end. Traditionally, that has been advertising/sponsorship of their programs/shows by entities that want to showcase their products/services to the public. They already make so much money on this alone; and I'm sure they have other revenue streams. But I digress.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 am 
Heavyweight

you mean ABS-CBN TV black box connected to your PC :lol:

or streaming ABS-CBN Tvplus on the internet :biglaugh:

or a hack ABS-CBN TV plus from ADTV ? :lol:

or and ISD TV pc card with Abs-cbn tv plus ?

mag subscribe ka nalang nang PLDT fiber with cignal :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 am 
Cruiserweight

...or kuluk...I mean Kodi. It "runs on just about anything". No ripoff set-top boxes necessary. Paid set-top boxes have had its moments but with the (free) tech available to us nowadays, it's on its way to obsolescense if not already.