Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 11:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:27 pm 
Light Heavyweight

B a l r o g wrote:
Hi guys!

Call it a wild hunch, or sumthin, but I really get the feeling that Manny intentionally prolonged the fight so the ABS-CBN coverage can have more commercials, and thus, more Pesos coming in. I think that Pcaman, being the promoter, has a percentage in the income generated by the telecast from the tv commercials. ABS-CBN probably gave this contract clause to Pacman so Pacman can have the option of prolonging the fight for more pesos (for himself and ABS-CBN)... Your thoughts?

ABS-CBN is paid by advertiser per commercial package and not by the frequency the commercial was aired. Let say for example, Motolite will pay ABS for the airing of their 30-seconder commercial during breaks, and for that package, ABS is requiring a lot sum of 5 million. SO regardless of how many rounds the fight last, ABS is guaranteed to be paid a whopping 5 million by Motolite.

Most of the time, TV networks air so many previews and interviews to fill the gap just in case the fight would not last the distance for the satisfaction of advertisers. It's a delayed telecast and they know it already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:29 pm 
Welterweight

Ok, so i stand corrected... "ABS-CBN is paid by advertiser per commercial package and not by the frequency the commercial was aired"

but in any case, neither Manny nor MPP stands to gain any financial profit for prolonging the fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:33 pm 
Middleweight

No, I think Larios was just in tip top shape. On the other hand, with Manny's punching power, he might have prolonged it...haaayy hirap.

:box:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:40 pm 
Featherweight

LeeBOGs wrote:
Ok, so i stand corrected... "ABS-CBN is paid by advertiser per commercial package and not by the frequency the commercial was aired"

but in any case, neither Manny nor MPP stands to gain any financial profit for prolonging the fight.

That's correct from my understanding of the post that Manny and MPP even before the fight, already has a guaranteed report of how much they will be earning whether or not the fight will last 12 rounds or shorter. So in effect, if he finishes the fight early, it will be better for him because he would still be earning the same amount of money. Except if he really wants to have a long fight to condition himself for Morales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 pm 

Don't take Manny's word as gospel truth, he just couldn't finish
off Larios. He played along by saying that he wants to treat his
fans to a longer bout, sounds BS to me.

And give credit were credit is due, a lesser mortal would've
succumbed to Manny's body attacks and head assaults. Just
like what Roach said, Larios is a conditioning freak and Larios
camp said that he doesn't have to kill himself to meet the weight,
unlike when he was still fighting in the bantamweight division.

I just don't buy it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:47 pm 
Flyweight

actually i think manny tried to prolong the bout (abs-cbn influence)... but i think in round 12 he wanted to KO chololo but he just couldn't... larios is a tough and brave hombre... imho...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:34 pm 
Bantamweight

lennox wrote:
actually i think manny tried to prolong the bout (abs-cbn influence)... but i think in round 12 he wanted to KO chololo but he just couldn't... larios is a tough and brave hombre... imho...

You hit the nail on the head. People forget that this is a business venture for ABSCBN. The longer the fight the better. Business 101.
Why can't people see??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:41 pm 
Light Heavyweight

this thread is somewhat similar to the other thread that says ABS CBN made a 15-minute commercials that's why larios is able to rest in between rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:44 pm 
Heavyweight

We really don't know if Manny is telling the truth, but one thing for sure,
he did not prepared hard for this fight.

Post subject: intentionally prolonged?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 pm 
Bantamweight

this thread is ****** nonsense and stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:22 pm 
Featherweight

I think it's all a combination of the ff:

1. After Rd. 3, Manny used his head & as affirmed in his post-fight words, didn't want to get hit by a lucky punch again. So he played it safe althroughout. To Larios' credit, he is one tough nut, absorbing all those brutal combinations. I mean, I haven't seen MP throw so many accurate & hard shots in a long while!

2. He may have willfully or even unintenionally, tested his endurance in prolonging the fight. By prolonging the fight, it could have been:

a. OL just wouldn't fall & i think we saw that; those were the same hard punches that MP gave MB, EM & JMM but the tough hombre (OL) just wouldn't fall y' know?

b. He learned from his past mistakes( remember the Fahsan fight? It was a terrible prep for his 1st EM fight even if it ended quickly ) & decided to do an assessment of his conditioning by going the full route.

c. Sure MP got drilled bigtime in rd. 3 but he still had the presence of mind to duck & elude the barrage of punches OL gave him; I think this proves that MP could take OL's punch. We've seen MP get floored by Hussein & Barotillo & we know if a punch has truly knocked his senses or not

3. Money. C'mon, he deserves all the money he could get his hands on; he earns it through blood & guts. And unlike past great boxers, MP has the savvy of a shrewd businessman who wants to capitalize on his blessings & strengths while he's still hot. I think that says a lot about the man. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:30 pm 
Light Heavyweight

LeeBOGs wrote:
I don't think he delayed just to earn from the sponsorships - I think it was really a mix of Larios being in real good shape, and Manny trying to protect his lead on the score cards.

pasensha na for the long post (i think this'll be a long post), but here's how i understand the world of boxing promoters:

- A promoter's job is normally just to promote his fighters. When a fighter signs with a promoter (i.e., MPP or Golden Boy Promotions) for, say... a 9 fight deal, that means the promoter will promote 9 fights that involve the promoted fighter. Pwede ring promoter for only 1 fight (such as in the case of the whole Mano-a-Mano fight card. Anyway, the promoter pits its promoted fighters with other fighters - pwedeing within the same promotional outfit or other fighters promoted by other promotional outfits not promoted by any outfits at all. In other words, it's up to the promoter to assemble the fight card. In this case, MPP pit Manny and the other pinoys against fighters mostly from Mexico. The idea is for the promoter to come up with a fight card that will market will with the public. In coming up with the fight card, it's up to the promoter to negotiate the purses with the fighters involved, and eventually pay out the fighters' purses.

- So how does the promotional outfit recover the cost of the fighters' purses? For megabuck events like Mano-a-Mano, this is where the network giants come in. When a megabuck event is in the works, giant networks looking for profits will lobby/bid for the rights to showcase the event - in this case ABS-CBN won the bidding for a whopping $4 million!!! This is where the promoters normally get their profits - any difference between the bid price for the rights to the fight card and the aggregate fighters' purses is profit for the promoters.

- Now... How do the networks recover the bid price? In the case of ABS-CBN, its through sponsorships. This is where the sponsorships come in - would-be advertisers again bid for airtime. I'm not so sure about how the agreement with the sponsors work, but when a sponsor is chosen from the many bidders, there's usually an agreement for the network to air the sponsors' commercial for a minimum of X times throughout the telecast of the event, with a minimum fixed fee plus a variable amount per airing in excess of the minimum agreed airtime, but not to exceed either a maximum amount of airtime, or the end of the telecast of the event (i.e., minimum of 5 commercials, maximum of 10 DURING THE TELECAST OF THE MANO-A-MANO EVENT, for a minimum fee P 1 million, plus P 20,000 for every commercial airing in excess of 5). In the case of PPV, it's PPV receipts. In the case of ESPN and other cable sports channels, it's simply the cable subscription fees (that's why they don't normally show mega-buck fights until they've recovered the cost elsewhere - i.e., through PPV).

- Ok, so what about the venue? i.e., Araneta Coliseum? Well, it all depends on who bore the risk of the cost of the venue. In this case, i think ABS-CBN also bore the risk (I think that's why ang laki ng fee paid to MPP for the rights - i.e., all inclusive na). Normally, it's the network who does it, because the profits from the gate receipts are also used to offset any potential losses incurred in broadcasting the event (rights paid to MPP, marketing, logistics, etc). This also allows the network to "package" onsite advertising (i.e., posters, banners, the adds on the canvass) with TV commercials. Anyway, whoever bears the risk of the venue rents the venue for a fixed fee and gains from the venue's gate receipts.

- Whatabout smaller fightcards where there is no network giant to telecast the event? Well, it's usually the promoter who either acts as event organizer, and earns from gate receipts and onsite sponsorships.

Pasensha na mga folks for the really long reply... :D just welcoming myself to pacland... :D

:smoke: Welcome aboard!!!!, masyado ngang mahaba...but you have points

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:34 pm 
Light Heavyweight

maguire wrote:
this thread is somewhat similar to the other thread that says ABS CBN made a 15-minute commercials that's why larios is able to rest in between rounds.

Correct!!! Redunduncy!!!! :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:36 pm 
Light Heavyweight

boxer_gun wrote:
this thread is ****** nonsense and stupid

cool bro....then what do you think? you replied good to this thread??? easy man.... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Par_5 wrote:
B a l r o g wrote:
Hi guys!

Call it a wild hunch, or sumthin, but I really get the feeling that Manny intentionally prolonged the fight so the ABS-CBN coverage can have more commercials, and thus, more Pesos coming in. I think that Pcaman, being the promoter, has a percentage in the income generated by the telecast from the tv commercials. ABS-CBN probably gave this contract clause to Pacman so Pacman can have the option of prolonging the fight for more pesos (for himself and ABS-CBN)... Your thoughts?

You could be right but as Manny said during the interview, he deviated from the initial gameplan which Roach didn't like it.

Manny playing safe

But if you noticed in some instances, everytime Manny threw those combinations Oscar gestured to him to get it on by which I believed Manny played conservative moves in those instances. Besides, he controlled the fight and why do make stupid moves that might resulted to a stupid outcome.

My 2 cents.

Pacman can KO Larios anytime he wanted during that fight! That is sooooo obvious!

So why Manny did not KO Larios?

My observation and analysis may be true that, there might be somebody close to Manny who bet for PACMAN Via Unanimous decision! might be a big bet as in Million$$$ bet.

And Manny helped that guy to win....

I've seen Manny in an interview, when asked about him not KOing Larios..he just smiled and answered " for reason that he wo'nt tell"
Its in ABS CBN I think.

Anyway it might be a bait so MAB, Mosquera and Barrios would come after Pac for Championship fight!...deceiving huh?

On the other hand, it opens the door for Larios for a lucrative fight against MAB and EM.

hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Last edited by fearno1 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.